Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:26:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916345 times)
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:14:43 AM

2,000 Bitcoins have been reserved for the re-investment:

1. Deposits for the long-term pre-order of hard-to-get ICs.
2. Costs of mass production of Block Erupter USB sticks.
The projected rising to 15TH/s by tomorrow night is still on track.
The samples of the USB sticks are being tested.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmouse

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:35:54 AM

The usb sticks are going to be a huge success, but we desperately need something better than bidding in the auction forum here to sell them; the last couple minutes of the last auction were a bit crazy, and many bidders got blocked out with the last second frenzy by the anti-spam settings for the forum.

Problem is, how to set this all up on a solid auction forum?  We can at least have some vetting on the bidders to some extent when they take place on this forum, but as the volume of the auctions ramps up, I fear this will become an unmanageable mess.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 04:46:38 AM

So 2941.66BTC were paid out as dividend and 2000BTC are kept for ICs. That must be really hard to get ones when they are $236000. Smiley And the dividend would have been 2/3 higher if that didnt happen. Good news for next week i guess.

The usb sticks are going to be a huge success, but we desperately need something better than bidding in the auction forum here to sell them; the last couple minutes of the last auction were a bit crazy, and many bidders got blocked out with the last second frenzy by the anti-spam settings for the forum.

Problem is, how to set this all up on a solid auction forum?  We can at least have some vetting on the bidders to some extent when they take place on this forum, but as the volume of the auctions ramps up, I fear this will become an unmanageable mess.

I would vote for an 5 min extension of the auction lifetime after the last bid was placed. That should help in the last minutes to solve many problems. And in auction start thread the user are guided to go into forum user settings and auto detect their timezone + setting their like in regards to 12/24 hours view. So that everyone can see the timecode of the last bid and can calculate 5 mins on top to ensure when the auction ends now.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:49:30 AM

I am suggesting that the auction be extended by 1 minutes per bid. Probably the use of PM'ed secret bids might work too. Holding the auction here has the advantage of being transparent and publicly known. I've had a ton of newbies PM'ing on this. (and bidding later)
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:51:02 AM

So 2941.66BTC were paid out as dividend and 2000BTC are kept for ICs. That must be really hard to get ones when they are $236000. Smiley And the dividend would have been 2/3 higher if that didnt happen. Good news for next week i guess.

I would vote for an 5 min extension of the auction lifetime after the last bid was placed. That should help in the last minutes to solve many problems. And in auction start thread the user are guided to go into forum user settings and auto detect their timezone + setting their like in regards to 12/24 hours view. So that everyone can see the timecode of the last bid and can calculate 5 mins on top to ensure when the auction ends now.

5 might be too long Wink
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 04:53:34 AM

5 might be too long Wink

I think youre right. Otherwise everyone would wait 5 mins with the "last" bid and it would grow indefinitely. But 1 min might help. Though i dont know if its enough time to get around the trouble of not being allowed to post?

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:53:58 AM

a secret ballot style auction could prove very interesting, i think. not that i'm advocating for it. but it would be interesting to see the result.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:56:41 AM

5 might be too long Wink

I think youre right. Otherwise everyone would wait 5 mins with the "last" bid and it would grow indefinitely. But 1 min might help. Though i dont know if its enough time to get around the trouble of not being allowed to post?

Hmm... There should be a guide at the OP to disable the warning where if someone posted first. 1 minute should be enough for those who has not done so anyway as the auction is already extended by 1 minutes.

Yeah, the secret ballot style auction might work too as I said above, but I sell prefer the auction extension style.More transparent.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:57:28 AM

Wow, you'd have to be an idiot to sell now Shocked

15 TH/s tomorrow... huge (>double!) dividends next week... and it's only going to get better!

(BFL)^2 < 0
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:00:48 AM

5 might be too long Wink

Hmm... There should be a guide at the OP to disable the warning where if someone posted first. 1 minute should be enough for those who has not done so anyway as the auction is already extended by 1 minutes.

It was only this problem? I thought that shouldnt be a problem if there is a 1min window after a bid. I mean a poster isnt forced to read the new posts before he posts. So when a red line appears one could simply click on send again and most probably it will work.
I guess it only was a problem because everyone wanted to snipe at the last second and couldnt do it because the auction had a strict ending time, no floating one. I wonder how many btc were lost this way.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:03:17 AM

5 might be too long Wink

Yeah, the secret ballot style auction might work too as I said above, but I sell prefer the auction extension style.More transparent.

If you don't want a sealed bid auction, how about a Dutch auction? Start high, and bids are fulfilled until the last item is sold. I reckon a Dutch auction would do well since you already have an indication of how well the ASICs will sell, and people are very keen not to miss out.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:06:31 AM

Aren't there already dedicated bitcoin auction sites?
Why not give each of them some quantity to auction off?
And for the next rounds, prefer the one(s) that sell at the highest prices...

louong

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:07:39 AM

Problem is, how to set this all up on a solid auction forum?  We can at least have some vetting on the bidders to some extent when they take place on this forum, but as the volume of the auctions ramps up, I fear this will become an unmanageable mess.

Probably most bidders should know by now to turn off those settings when they want to bid. Or in the OP for the auction it should be stated as a suggestion.

Not sure how realistic it is to auction all the USB sticks, maybe batches of 100 max each? You could make it a reverse auction, where ASICMINER will set an initial price (presumably high), and everyone who wants in on that price bids x# of units.

If all 100 are spoken for at that price, then an auction will start, with the bidding to start at the initial price, with a specified end date. This should weed out the period of initial low bids (see last ASICMINER auction where a lot of time and thread space was wasted for the bids between 9 to 30 BTC when the 30-50 BTC was what really mattered). At the end date and time, additional bids extend the auction by 5 minutes.

If all 100 are not sold at that initial price, then every hour/pre-determined time period, the price will drop by 0.5BTC, until there are enough unit bids to reach 100, at which point the auction ends, and the first 100 bids will pay the same price.

Bitcoin Tips Accepted: 17r5ebmU2JDqEuEfWkWzJ9TkShS1MqTJYH
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:08:01 AM

Hmm... I'm not sure of how a Dutch auction for multiple goods would work. It would confuse some bidders too (heck, I've been getting PM's on how basic auctions work) Undecided
gmouse

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:09:05 AM

2,000 Bitcoins have been reserved for the re-investment:

1. Deposits for the long-term pre-order of hard-to-get ICs.
2. Costs of mass production of Block Erupter USB sticks.
The projected rising to 15TH/s by tomorrow night is still on track.
The samples of the USB sticks are being tested.

That is approximately the amount of $USD as the IPO raised?  So, this appears to be a substantial re-investment in the company.  Dunno what those ICs might be, but let me know, and I will look under my bed to see if I have a few laying around!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:10:53 AM

Aren't there already dedicated bitcoin auction sites?
Why not give each of them some quantity to auction off?
And for the next rounds, prefer the one(s) that sell at the highest prices...

How would you prevent shill/joy bidding then? I've seen auctions in bitmit destroyed by shill bids as it's easy to make an account to bid.  In this forum, we have newbie restrictions. Undecided
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:12:03 AM

Problem is, how to set this all up on a solid auction forum?  We can at least have some vetting on the bidders to some extent when they take place on this forum, but as the volume of the auctions ramps up, I fear this will become an unmanageable mess.

Probably most bidders should know by now to turn off those settings when they want to bid. Or in the OP for the auction it should be stated as a suggestion.

Not sure how realistic it is to auction all the USB sticks, maybe batches of 100 max each? You could make it a reverse auction, where ASICMINER will set an initial price (presumably high), and everyone who wants in on that price bids x# of units.

If all 100 are spoken for at that price, then an auction will start, with the bidding to start at the initial price, with a specified end date. This should weed out the period of initial low bids (see last ASICMINER auction where a lot of time and thread space was wasted for the bids between 9 to 30 BTC when the 30-50 BTC was what really mattered). At the end date and time, additional bids extend the auction by 5 minutes.

If all 100 are not sold at that initial price, then every hour/pre-determined time period, the price will drop by 0.5BTC, until there are enough unit bids to reach 100, at which point the auction ends, and the first 100 bids will pay the same price.

Seems feasible and a lot more easy.  Grin
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:19:07 AM

Seems feasible and a lot more easy.  Grin

the concern then, for me anyway, is the whole "lots of 100" part. i am absolutely looking to get my hands on some of these usb miners, but there's no way i can afford ten, let alone 100. would we see those who win the 100 then reselling them for a higher price, and that would be the only way for small fries like me to get one?

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:22:14 AM

the concern then, for me anyway, is the whole "lots of 100" part. i am absolutely looking to get my hands on some of these usb miners, but there's no way i can afford ten, let alone 100. would we see those who win the 100 then reselling them for a higher price, and that would be the only way for small fries like me to get one?
I think they meant one auction per 100. Instead of one auction for 1000. Easier to keep track.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:23:19 AM

Looking like 0.00735415/share this week
Confirmed 0.00735415

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: