Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:09:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 [253] 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916324 times)
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 08:01:09 AM

Ah, so this is the root of it. You have provided us with a giant wall of text, while rudely responding to Aureum_Coffee, in some unrealized attempt to convince yourself you did the right thing by taking your money and running. It's okay, and a very sound strategy to realize your profits when you are comfortable with your gains, but your actions do not limit ASICMINER from being more creative, diverse, and industrious than you can predict.

Try to be creative about this: The world has 10 coins. AM is currently paying 10 coins per cycle in dividends. How can you be creative, diverse, and industrious to get more than that?

The dividend that AM paid this week is 50% of the theoretical possible limit they can get from mining. They can kill Bitcoin to maintain this level, yes, but I don't think they will. All their competitors can fail, but I don't think they will.

Let's be crazy, then, and say that they generate dividends equivalent to 30% of the network for the next 44 months. At that rate, we'll see dividends at 0.018 per week, which would give us an ROI of 21 months. Great, right? 50% yield per year?

Except in 2016, at a known and predictable time, poof, 50% of the possible income and dividends disappear and thus the share value drops to 50%. Now you've lost 0.85 in a day. Or around a years worth of dividends at 30% hash rate.

It's still a profit, sure, but it's not even close to what people think at present, and it assumes that AM pays 30% of all coin production on average.

Can they maintain 30% for that long? I don't know. Their 262 TH will be a spit in the ocean in a year. AM needs funds to finance the next big thing, which needs to come on top of those 30%. Can all their competitors fail? Yeah, but I doubt they will.

Remember that hardware sales isn't really a factor here because that hardware needs to come from the maximum limit AM can produce. Whether they hash from it themselves over time or realize that hashrate immediately by selling isn't relevant except in temporarily boosting their dividends. Their customers will run the math when more purchase options are available. Selling hardware is at most a way to realize short-term capital, but doesn't really increase their long-term profitability when they pay sales out in the form of dividends.

Actually, screw all this, I'll publish my numbers and you can argue against those.

.b

It's quite possible that mining is a lot less profitable in 2016, due to the nature of the reward. Since we cannot anticipate this, it would be reckless not to set aside some of the short term profit and give it as dividend (a lot of which is owned by the board) so people can work out how to reinvest their coins.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 08:07:20 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2013, 08:42:34 AM by freedomno1

To sum up some parts
The question is if the dividend should be distributed to maximize shareholder wealth leaving less funds for investment, or some held in reserve to diversify investments to expand into other industries since we know that when 2016 comes the income may decrease. Since we can anticipate this and to some extent mitigate that transitional effect as we have 3 years to do so, the question then becomes what industry's would ASIC be strong in and what would be a good or optimal place and location to diversify expand or relocate/build new assets to ensure long term wealth creation and growth. How much we should save and how the board should decide what industry ASIC should move into as a hedge to the decreased mining revenue in a couple of years.
Sort of a conflict over short term vs long term goals
Simply what makes me and you the most money not just now but later and builds on the wealth of the company over the long term outlook
Real economic growth Smiley

In other news Satoshidice is either having panic selling or really is removing USA gambling noms shares lol

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
TiuraZ

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 08:49:29 AM

Also, one note regarding all this jabbing about how much divident should be paid out: None of us isn't going to decide it. Friedcat (and his team, maybe, I don't know) holds over 50% of shares, so we can argue here until the last block is mined and it's not going to have any effect. About all these people who have made lenghty comments saying this and that about Apple or Microsoft or any other unrelated company, is there anyone who owns even 5000 shares that entitles to a seat in the board?
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 08:50:28 AM

On the topic of other businesses AM could pursue that would increase the value of Bitcoin v fiat.

Assume that AM achieve this by leveraging their expertize in designing integrated circuits and producing them in low cost and in volume.

We know from history the value of Bitcoin will rise if more people use it. So put a chip in many hands that rewards people to own it but requires them to use Bitcoin to realize its value. I'm not thinking mining-related like the Erupter Blocks, something else. Something that billions of people could possess. I'm thinking whatever the 'it' is, it could live in a mobile phone.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
furuknap

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 08:53:24 AM

On the topic of other businesses AM could pursue that would increase the value of Bitcoin v fiat.

Assume that AM achieve this by leveraging their expertize in designing integrated circuits at low cost and in volume.

We know from history the value of Bitcoin will rise if more people use it. So put a chip in many hands that rewards people to own it but requires them to use Bitcoin to realize its value. I'm not thinking mining-related like the Erupter Blocks, something else. Something that billions of people could possess. I'm thinking whatever the 'it' is, it could live in a mobile phone.

PocketMiner! Great idea!

USB-powered, but with internal battery and wifi. Put it in when you're home to charge battery and mine at higher speed, put it on your keychain and mine whenever you are near an open wifi-zone :-)

.b

stripykitteh
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:03:54 AM

Assume that AM achieve this by leveraging their expertize in designing integrated circuits at low cost and in volume.

PocketMiner! Great idea!

USB-powered, but with internal battery and wifi. Put it in when you're home to charge battery and mine at higher speed, put it on your keychain and mine whenever you are near an open wifi-zone :-)

.b

I'm interested in what happened in Africa in the 1990's and 2000's. In many parts there infrastructure is poor, and liable to being unmaintained, stolen, or destroyed by conflict. Many parts of Africa have good mobile phone networks, though, as they're relatively cheap to deploy and can be deployed in numbers to provide redundancy (or even just moved around on trucks). If you said to a villager in many parts of Africa that his mobile phone can generate $2 a day if it does Bitcoin, he'd probably offer his daughter to you.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:12:43 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2013, 09:29:13 AM by freedomno1

Also, one note regarding all this jabbing about how much dividend should be paid out: None of us isn't going to decide it. Friedcat (and his team, maybe, I don't know) holds over 50% of shares, so we can argue here until the last block is mined and it's not going to have any effect. About all these people who have made lenghty comments saying this and that about Apple or Microsoft or any other unrelated company, is there anyone who owns even 5000 shares that entitles to a seat in the board?

Tat owns 666 Evil Dude will need to make it 777 soon ha-ha if not already
The exchanges are around 1000 now and havelock's is just a week old so the passthrus will get a seat it was part of the release based on the combination of shares so yes in time it may be allocated a seat
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199449.msg2162063#msg2162063

Today's volume and price behavior is a blip in the life of ASICMINER. Do you know how many shares have been imported into ASICMINER-PT this week? Maybe 500 or so. G.ASICMINER? About 200. The TAT assets? about 200. Yet somehow the average price is still over 1.7. Only about 21% of the publicly held shares even exist on an exchange. My point is, MANY people are still buying, and MANY MANY more are still holding.

PocketMiner! Great idea!

.b

See smart ideas that can play on AM's strengths and help develop bitcoin putting it into mobile phones could be an expansion of the business
Nice one Pocket as for who can make the decisions well the board will but I'm sure they will accept input and ideas too shareholder proposals etc brainstorming does help Smiley

Trading Phones for wifus Hmm I guess that's a form of aids Smiley But helping Africa solve some currency issues i'm all for that

I'm interested in what happened in Africa in the 1990's and 2000's. In many parts there infrastructure is poor, and liable to being unmaintained, stolen, or destroyed by conflict. Many parts of Africa have good mobile phone networks, though, as they're relatively cheap to deploy and can be deployed in numbers to provide redundancy (or even just moved around on trucks). If you said to a villager in many parts of Africa that his mobile phone can generate $2 a day if it does Bitcoin, he'd probably offer his daughter to you.

aahzmundus

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:22:30 AM

Growth potential within the current bitcoin community is limited... sure, we probably are saturated at the moment.

BUT as new players enter the market, they will buy coins... and then possibly want mining equipment, which is then sold my ASICMINER.  If new people buy mining equipment... people that previously bought equipment... will need to buy MORE equipment to keep up, this drives in more profit.

All this while more and more people start using bitcoin day to day (I pay my utility bills in bitcoin now, who would have thought of that a year ago) growing the economy as a whole... which in turn drives value into ASICMINER.

Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:46:59 AM

Except in 2016, at a known and predictable time, poof, 50% of the possible income and dividends disappear and thus the share value drops to 50%. Now you've lost 0.85 in a day. Or around a years worth of dividends at 30% hash rate.
- OR - BTCUSD doubles, hence while you are earning half BTC as before, you are actually earning the same equivalent USD.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
furuknap

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 09:48:00 AM

- OR - BTCUSD doubles, hence while you are earning half BTC as before, you are actually earning the same equivalent USD.

Yeah, and just imagine the insane profits if we measure in Zimbabwean dollars!

ZIM$ for official AM currency now!

.b

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:00:04 AM

To sum up some parts
The question is if the dividend should be distributed to maximize shareholder wealth leaving less funds for investment, or some held in reserve to diversify investments to expand into other industries since we know that when 2016 comes the income may decrease. Since we can anticipate this and to some extent mitigate that transitional effect as we have 3 years to do so, the question then becomes what industry's would ASIC be strong in and what would be a good or optimal place and location to diversify expand or relocate/build new assets to ensure long term wealth creation and growth. How much we should save and how the board should decide what industry ASIC should move into as a hedge to the decreased mining revenue in a couple of years.
Sort of a conflict over short term vs long term goals
Simply what makes me and you the most money not just now but later and builds on the wealth of the company over the long term outlook
Real economic growth Smiley

In other news Satoshidice is either having panic selling or really is removing USA gambling noms shares lol

I think diversifying outside bitcoinworld will lead to low revenue... there arent much investments outside that are nearly as effektive as this one here. On the other hand i dont see the block halving that bad. It can be foresseen so everyone can adapt... the last halving showed that it goes through smootly... nothing bad happened... i dont see that this will change with next halving...

Wow thorough reply just does my reply Cheesy
I think diversification can lead to lower revenue but pocketminer had a good idea of building chips for other things if ASIC does hedge a bit, doesn't need to be outside bitcoinworld could be inside bitcoinworld but we can leave options like the internet and real stuff on the list. It really depends on what seems like the best choice if we go that route and i'm sure there will be a lot of discussion before a plan is executed and made.
And as they say the horse that doesn't participate in the race can never win. ASIC took a risk building these devices so we will never know unless we try. Not out of desperation mind you but out of planning a well thought out strategy. Your right halving day affects all miners and were still seeing exponential growth of pc power Smiley so the market will adapt to that but it doesn't hurt to keep looking for new possibilities and having the window open to embrace new ideas. After all that's why we invested in bitcoin in the first place Cheesy

Geh it's all in quote leaves it that way lol

stripykitteh
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:25:43 AM

I've had a couple more thoughts riffing on this idea over a glass of wine. Yes, it is after 5 where I am.  Smiley

Make the chips as cheap as possible, maybe even *pay* mobile phone makers to bundle them into handsets.

Consider collaborating with other leading Bitcoin miners to fund development. Design goals are the best performance possible with low power. It will be designed to go into a cheap phone, so sleek design is not so important, i.e., the phone might be a "brick" with a larger battery.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
furuknap

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 11:10:45 AM

I think thats a very strange view. You think investors bough apple stock because they dont pay dividends? Apple has stockpiled large sums of money and it doesnt do anything with it. Its simply useless money.

I think you should tell that to stock holders. Perhaps they'll realize you are right and everyone else is wrong and just give you their shares in appreciation.

I think you should also call up Warren Buffett and tell him because he's clearly doing it wrong by not paying dividends. I'm sure he'll donate his $53.5 billions to you in appreciation for setting him straight.

I'm sorry but I'm getting somewhat tired from explaining this over and over again, so I'm going to skip the rest of your post. You clearly lack some fundamental understanding of how shares and stock markets work.

.b

Rodyland

Activity: 499

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:42:01 AM

I'm sorry but I'm getting somewhat tired from explaining this over and over again

Promise?

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:46:21 AM

I'm sorry but I'm getting somewhat tired from explaining this over and over again

Promise?
TiuraZ

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:51:11 PM

There will be more auctions this week?

Auctions of what?
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:55:11 PM

There will be more auctions this week?

ASICMiner Block Eruptor Blades
TiuraZ

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:14:41 PM

If I have understut it correctly, there will be no more auctions for Blades. Auctions were used to determine correct price for direct sales, and you have already found the thread where they are sold without auction for a fixed price.
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:19:58 PM

If I have understut it correctly, there will be no more auctions for Blades. Auctions were used to determine correct price for direct sales, and you have already found the thread where they are sold without auction for a fixed price.

Yep, I'm curious if there will be any price adjustments in the next several weeks as there are other ASICs shipping.
thx1164

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:17:02 PM

The exchanges are around 1000 now and havelock's is just a week old so the passthrus will get a seat it was part of the release based on the combination of shares so yes in time it may be allocated a seat

Actually DT's PT has a board seat already if I am not mistaken.

https://bitfunder.com/asset/G.ASICMINER-PT  Shares Issued: 19,160
Pages: « 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 [253] 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: