Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:07:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 [845] 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916369 times)
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 11:46:10 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2014, 11:58:56 PM by ThickAsThieves

AM does not need to do so himself. Any big trusted shareholder can issue AM assets with Counterparty.

This is true.  It would be awesome to see an Asicminer-direct-share-backed asset issued on Counterparty.

Maybe ThickasThieves would be up for the task?

This would be the first "Bitcoin blue chip" asset on a decentralized exchange.  One small step for TAT, one giant leap for Bitcoin securities.

In case any of you missed it in my old rants, I don't actually believe decentralized exchanges are a good thing. Even AM's own exchange, which they began creating last year, has many inconveniences, and, is ultimately centralized anyway.

I don't even believe decentralized exchanges are sustainable in any way that provides valuable purpose. Most amount to moving trust from one place to another, or breaking trust into a few parts. Trust is always required, efficiency is always required, resources are always required. These things all converge as order in chaos. That order is centralization.

I'm not a part of the "decentralize everything!" parade, but I do believe in the concept of "empires to ashes". Eventually a thing becomes so central and powerful it collapses, whether it be by its own lack of agility, or by a paradigm shift. For many people, Bitcoin is the first time they experienced a paradigm shift in a very long time. It's exciting to have your world rocked, but Bitcoin is not a casting call for paradigm-shifters. Way too many people think we now have the power to break apart anything we can get our hands on, and turn into little pieces that somehow work better. Decentralization is not your hammer, and stock exchanges are not your nail.

I can appreciate people trying new things, but an economy is more than protocol, sorry. I'm not saying the theory of a Colored Coin exchange is impossible, I'm saying the usefulness of it is. Any fruits of Colored Coin, Master Coin, etc, will do nothing more than appear decentralized in concept, and behave centralized in practice.

Even Bitcoin itself only thrives through where it is efficiently "centralized": mining pools, exchanges, venture capital, this forum, etc, etc, etc.

Having to trust 3 people instead of 1 is not decentralization. Having to trust that system instead of this one, is not decentralization. Do you REALLY want every business under the sun "IPO"ing? Is every random business truly qualified to run its own security? So what if you can trust the decentralized exchange, none of the issuers will be easy to trust, now will they? How do you trust what you are buying and whom you buy it from?

If you really want to mitigate trust issues in this world, why aren't you all fighting to get people to use a/the Web of Trust (http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php)? Why are people finding ways to pervert bitcoin with burns, when they should be making a decentralized web of trust that is more friendly and easy to use? Doesn't anyone realize how big "digital identity" will be going forward?

We don't need more tinkering with reinventing Bitcoin, we need an agile identity/trust service. Think about it. Sure we have the current WoT, sure we have +Trust in this forum. But the WoT is not easy to use for beginners, nor is it a convenient means of auth/trust for online services. And, the forum's +Trust feature is much too centralized, weak, and narrow in focus.

Finally, everyone, please don't be an idiot and go "burning" coins, or locking them into some silly meta protocol forever. Anyone that's been around for more than a couple months should know by now to just hold onto your damn bitcoins. That's all you have to do.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:14:02 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 09:32:01 AM by hdbuck

AM does not need to do so himself. Any big trusted shareholder can issue AM assets with Counterparty.

This is true.  It would be awesome to see an Asicminer-direct-share-backed asset issued on Counterparty.

This would be the first "Bitcoin blue chip" asset on a decentralized exchange.  One small step for TAT, one giant leap for Bitcoin securities.

Finally, everyone, please don't be an idiot and go "burning" coins, or locking them into some silly meta protocol forever. Anyone that's been around for more than a couple months should know by now to just hold onto your damn bitcoins. That's all you have to do.

yup, fair enough, i hear you sir

and what about holding our AM shares? Grin
vortex1878

Activity: 492

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:28:38 AM

In case any of you missed it in my old rants, I don't actually believe decentralized exchanges are a good thing. Even AM's own exchange, which they began creating last year, has many inconveniences, and, is ultimately centralized anyway.

I don't even believe decentralized exchanges are sustainable in any way that provides valuable purpose. Most amount to moving trust from one place to another, or breaking trust into a few parts. Trust is always required, efficiency is always required, resources are always required. These things all converge as order in chaos. That order is centralization.

I'm not a part of the "decentralize everything!" parade, but I do believe in the concept of "empires to ashes". Eventually a thing becomes so central and powerful it collapses, whether it be by its own lack of agility, or by a paradigm shift. For many people, Bitcoin is the first time they experienced a paradigm shift in a very long time. It's exciting to have your world rocked, but Bitcoin is not a casting call for paradigm-shifters. Way too many people think we now have the power to break apart anything we can get our hands on, and turn into little pieces that somehow work better. Decentralization is not your hammer, and stock exchanges are not your nail.

I can appreciate people trying new things, but an economy is more than protocol, sorry. I'm not saying the theory of a Colored Coin exchange is impossible, I'm saying the usefulness of it is. Any fruits of Colored Coin, Master Coin, etc, will do nothing more than appear decentralized in concept, and behave centralized in practice.

Even Bitcoin itself only thrives through where it is efficiently "centralized": mining pools, exchanges, venture capital, this forum, etc, etc, etc.

Having to trust 3 people instead of 1 is not decentralization. Having to trust that system instead of this one, is not decentralization. Do you REALLY want every business under the sun "IPO"ing? Is every random business truly qualified to run its own security? So what if you can trust the decentralized exchange, none of the issuers will be easy to trust, now will they? How do you trust what you are buying and whom you buy it from?

If you really want to mitigate trust issues in this world, why aren't you all fighting to get people to use a/the Web of Trust (http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php)? Why are people finding ways to pervert bitcoin with burns, when they should be making a decentralized web of trust that is more friendly and easy to use? Doesn't anyone realize how big "digital identity" will be going forward?

We don't need more tinkering with reinventing Bitcoin, we need an agile identity/trust service. Think about it. Sure we have the current WoT, sure we have +Trust in this forum. But the WoT is not easy to use for beginners, nor is it a convenient means of auth/trust for online services. And, the forum's +Trust feature is much too centralized, weak, and narrow in focus.

Wow. Sb. with brains and balls to speak up. Thanks TAT. Made my day.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:33:01 AM

I agree that for trading purposes something like colored coins would be a huge hassle and require escrow.

But it would be extremely useful if we could send shares to and from an exchange with ease just like withdrawing bitcoins.
vortex1878

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:37:24 AM

I agree that for trading purposes something like colored coins would be a huge hassle and require escrow.

But it would be extremely useful if we could send shares to and from an exchange with ease just like withdrawing bitcoins.

Nobody cares about your opinion. You have proven to be not to be taken seriously many times. Please leave this thread for the adults, kiddo.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:37:35 AM

The future will be free of trusted escrow services,
Chris Odom describes how it will work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teNzIFu5L70

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:29:55 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 01:46:35 AM by BitThink

Your reasons (if any) seem not so convincing to me. Let's put general case aside, and just focus on AM shares. If AM is listed on a decentralized exchange such as Counterparty, is it helpful?

1) trust. We just need to trust a) the issurer (of course we trust) b) the protocol and the client (it's open source). No need to trust any buyer/seller or operator. The trades and dividends are all guaranteed by the protocol. There's no one running the exchange. The system is there as long as everyone has the client and BTC blockchain is there.

2) convenience. The issurer just issue an asset and put an initial order with IPO price, then sending dividend is just one command. For existing stocks like AM, just transfer shares to existing holders with a simple script. No need to keep all the holder list, it's embedded in the blockchain and will never be lost.

3) latency. Yes, you may need 10 minutes to match an order and waiting longer to confirm. That's acceptable to most investors, even day traders. How many people flip more than once per hour?

At last, as a main fund manager, telling others to just hold bitcoins seems interesting. If everyone just holds the bitcoin, there will be no stocks, funds, and bonds. What's the difference between burning some bitcoin to get some shares of a decentralized exchange and sending some BTC to you to get some shares of certain stocks?
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:48:26 AM

This would be the first "Bitcoin blue chip" asset on a decentralized exchange.  One small step for TAT, one giant leap for Bitcoin securities.
No, TAT is running a pass through and his profit relies on the commission. Listing on a decentralized exchange removes any need for the middle man, so it just needs Friedcat and all the investors.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:49:25 AM

This would be the first "Bitcoin blue chip" asset on a decentralized exchange.  One small step for TAT, one giant leap for Bitcoin securities.

Did you read this bit?

Counterparty Announcement

The code being released here is alpha-quality and under heavy development. Expect to encounter major bugs, including loss of funds. (Please report them when you do!)

The Counterparty protocol has not yet been finalized! You may lose your money if it changes!

Yes, you are right. We still need to wait until it matures and passes more extensive tests.
aahzmundus

Activity: 644

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:53:47 AM

Even AM's own exchange, which they began creating last year, has many inconveniences, and, is ultimately centralized anyway.

Wait a second... besides announcing that he was working on one, I have yet to see any details on any AM exchange system.  Although you feel it would not work, what is it that FC has in the works?  Is this board member information?  Or did I miss a post somewhere...

Also.. to ignore jimmothy, simply ignore him.  Stop quoting his posts, it gives him visibility to those who already have him on ignore like myself.

vortex1878

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:04:44 AM

Even AM's own exchange, which they began creating last year, has many inconveniences, and, is ultimately centralized anyway.

Wait a second... besides announcing that he was working on one, I have yet to see any details on any AM exchange system.  Although you feel it would not work, what is it that FC has in the works?  Is this board member information?  Or did I miss a post somewhere...

Also.. to ignore jimmothy, simply ignore him.  Stop quoting his posts, it gives him visibility to those who already have him on ignore like myself.

Done. My bad to quote a donkey. Smiley
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:05:54 AM

Also.. to ignore jimmothy, simply ignore him.  Stop quoting his posts, it gives him visibility to those who already have him on ignore like myself.
According to the leaked info (it they are true) in chinese forum, AM's exchange, although based on blockchain, is centralized and has severe flaws in the design.

For example, all the assets have to be assigned a buying address and a selling address, and these addresses are assigned by the central authority. Moreover, if you want to sell some shares at 100 BTC, you need to send 100+ BTC to the selling address and trust that address will send them back immediately. It also means you have to own 100 BTC first before you can sell you shares for 100 BTC.
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:16:24 AM

Interesting talk about decenteralized exchanges, you guys should check out NXT, The decenteralized exchange is already written and being tested at the moment, full network release on April, might start an ASICMINER-PT there or something Smiley

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
jimmothy

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:26:35 AM

Nobody cares about your opinion. You have proven to be not to be taken seriously many times. Please leave this thread for the adults, kiddo.

Lol what are you so butthurt about?

Your comment says something about who really needs to grow up.

I am here to have a serious discussion about this topic and if you cant handle someone having an opinion you don't agree with be you shouldn't be on a discussion board.

Do you disagree with my opinion that colored coins would make it extremely convenient to move shares to and from an exchange? I would love to hear your opinion as you are clearly a much more intellectual and mature "adult"
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:48:23 AM

I have yet to see any details on any AM exchange system.  Although you feel it would not work, what is it that FC has in the works?  Is this board member information?

It is blockchain-based, therefore it comes with inconveniences not present in an off-chain exchange.

I do not know the current status of the project, nor whether it is active.
DaFockBro

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:25:54 AM

Your reasons (if any) seem not so convincing to me. Let's put general case aside, and just focus on AM shares. If AM is listed on a decentralized exchange such as Counterparty, is it helpful?

1) trust. We just need to trust a) the issurer (of course we trust) b) the protocol and the client (it's open source). No need to trust any buyer/seller or operator. The trades and dividends are all guaranteed by the protocol. There's no one running the exchange. The system is there as long as everyone has the client and BTC blockchain is there.

2) convenience. The issurer just issue an asset and put an initial order with IPO price, then sending dividend is just one command. For existing stocks like AM, just transfer shares to existing holders with a simple script. No need to keep all the holder list, it's embedded in the blockchain and will never be lost.

3) latency. Yes, you may need 10 minutes to match an order and waiting longer to confirm. That's acceptable to most investors, even day traders. How many people flip more than once per hour?

At last, as a main fund manager, telling others to just hold bitcoins seems interesting. If everyone just holds the bitcoin, there will be no stocks, funds, and bonds. What's the difference between burning some bitcoin to get some shares of a decentralized exchange and sending some BTC to you to get some shares of certain stocks?

+1

The current setup for a lot of investors is:

Asicminer -> TAT (centralized, requires trust) -> Havelock (centralized, requires trust) -> Investor

With Counterparty the setup would look like this:

Asicminer -> Counterparty (de-centralized, trustless, open-source) -> Investor

TAT really does sound like he's afraid Asicminer will list on a decentralized exchange like Counterparty and eliminate the middle-men (TAT, Havelock)

https://i.imgur.com/W8Go0ko.png

Why not just embrace the newer, better system?  Centralized exchanges have been a massive problem for Crypto securities.
willBTC

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:25:18 AM

Is  there anybody do some simple mathematics about total dividend we can expect in 2014 ?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
ASICMINERTUBE
         The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far              Discover now!
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:30:00 AM

The current setup for a lot of investors is:

Asicminer -> TAT (centralized, requires trust) -> Havelock (centralized, requires trust) -> Investor

With Counterparty the setup would look like this:

Asicminer -> Counterparty (de-centralized, trustless, open-source) -> Investor

TAT really does sound like he's afraid Asicminer will list on a decentralized exchange like Counterparty and eliminate the middle-men (TAT, Havelock)

Why not just embrace the newer, better system?  Centralized exchanges have been a massive problem for Crypto securities.

look like it was already under consideration

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.msg4418750#msg4418750
http://www.blockscan.com/assetInfo.aspx?q=SICMINER

Wink

jimmothy

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:32:20 AM

Is  there anybody do some simple mathematics about total dividend we can expect in 2014 ?

Just based off last years profit maybe another 200k btc
empoweoqwj

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:33:06 AM

Great care needs to be taken in evaluating options for what to do with shares.

Counterparty, Mastercoin, Colored Coins, and I'm sure other systems could all probably serve the needs of AM, but it is important to thoroughly evaluate the pros and cons of each solution.

I am inclined to think that AM is serious enough of a company that they should sit back for a nice long while (in bitcoin time) and let other people take on the risk of adopting these systems. After the market has spoken and there is a clear winner(s), then AM can safely adopt such a system.

Don't forget Ethereum. Feels to me like that one is gonna swoop out of nowhere and surprise everyone.

Ethereum is not built on top of the bitcoin blockchain. It is a new blockchain. Its a private company, with I believe 50% pre-mined coins and goldman sachs employees in its ranks. Don't touch it.
Pages: « 1 ... 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 [845] 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: