Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:25:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790356 times)
rhinomonkey

Activity: 646
Merit: 501

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 12:53:17 AM

I still want the find Satoshinakamoto1 van gen competition to go ahead.  But that's just me. The community needs to be fully on board too, especially if we ask for a proportion of the Coinbase to be put to one side to build up the incentives.

I don't know enough about it to voice an opinion either way & maybe others feel the same. Perhaps you could make a case for it?

It has been a few months since it was brought up so it may have fallen out of collective memory.

The last time I tried to explain the competition, several people thought we were running a lottery and started talking about regulations.

Let's try to explain it again. But first, this is NOT a lottery competition.

The link with the lottery was to show a phenomenon that is seen when a lotto prize fund gets bigger > the odds of winning don't change, but the numbers of people buying tickets explodes.

The find Satoshinakamoto1 competition is basically this:

1. Put 100 (or 500, or 1,000) SPR into an address you remain 100% in control of.

2. Search for the address Satoshinakamoto1

3. Each day x% of the SPR rewards goes to a prize fund

4. The person who finds Satoshinakamoto1 gets the prize fund

5. When the prize fund is awarded, the competition continues - Satoshinakamoto2

The principle is that as the prize fund gets bigger on a daily basis, more people will download a wallet and try to find the Satoshinakamoto1 vanity address.  But in order to qualify to participate, you need a wallet and 100 SPR (which remains yours).

That's it.

Now. What would happen if the prize fund were to ever reach 1,000 BTC...How many people would participate?

That percentage would detract from node rewards, right? Do you think there would be any sort of noticeable adverse effect on incentives to run nodes/ mine or would it be a relatively small percentage?

I would support the competition, but I think my CPU would have pretty tiny chances of ever finding the winning address lol. But, as lottery players say... "You never know!" (Not to reinforce the lottery comparison)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 02:23:03 AM

I still want the find Satoshinakamoto1 van gen competition to go ahead.  But that's just me. The community needs to be fully on board too, especially if we ask for a proportion of the Coinbase to be put to one side to build up the incentives.

I don't know enough about it to voice an opinion either way & maybe others feel the same. Perhaps you could make a case for it?

It has been a few months since it was brought up so it may have fallen out of collective memory.

The last time I tried to explain the competition, several people thought we were running a lottery and started talking about regulations.

Let's try to explain it again. But first, this is NOT a lottery competition.

The link with the lottery was to show a phenomenon that is seen when a lotto prize fund gets bigger > the odds of winning don't change, but the numbers of people buying tickets explodes.

The find Satoshinakamoto1 competition is basically this:

1. Put 100 (or 500, or 1,000) SPR into an address you remain 100% in control of.

2. Search for the address Satoshinakamoto1

3. Each day x% of the SPR rewards goes to a prize fund

4. The person who finds Satoshinakamoto1 gets the prize fund

5. When the prize fund is awarded, the competition continues - Satoshinakamoto2

The principle is that as the prize fund gets bigger on a daily basis, more people will download a wallet and try to find the Satoshinakamoto1 vanity address.  But in order to qualify to participate, you need a wallet and 100 SPR (which remains yours).

That's it.

Now. What would happen if the prize fund were to ever reach 1,000 BTC...How many people would participate?

You'd find Satoshinakamoto1 through 9 much faster if you'd trying to go for Satoshinakamoto without the number.

Also, there's no way to tie a minimum SPR amount to use the vanity gen. There are vanity gens that are not tied to the wallet.

But the lottery idea is great.

Not your keys, not your coins!
georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 08:26:23 PM

Sounds like a scam.   Might as well search for scammernakamoto.  Do not take from our hard earned nodes!  I thought spread coin was above all that.  We do not want to turn into fedoracoin do we?
~GRC

Don't worry, I think people here are just brainstorming, so always take such unofficial ideas with a grain of salt.

One day we might have a vanitygen-competition, but only if it can run on top of a blockchain-based crowd-funding mechanism, where participants themselves decide the goal of the competition and the prize-collateral they are willing to bet. No middlemen whatsoever. And most importantly: people who don't want to participate, don't need to.
Such schemes must always work in a trustless, permissionless manner, where nobody has any control or liability: with only cryptography as the sole guardian needed.

As a libertarian I understand the principles of decentralization pretty well, so rest assured that everything I research and develop has the goal of increasing decentralization, or finding new ways of decentralization where it hasn't been tried before.
I am not here to please investors or fintech or my own or someone elses financial needs. But in the end, the world is in dire need of more decentralization so all the aforementioned parties will find value in truly decentralized systems.

That's why I'm building the decentralized blockexplorer.
That's also why I am building servicenodes that run with a competitive collateral. (decentralizing away the need for a "king" that decides the amount of collateral for everybody else)
Literally everything I will work on will have the name "decentralized" in front of it, or else I'm simply not going to touch it.

You get the idea: if it can't be done in a decentralized way, we shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

So with this in mind, I understand that not everybody here has the same mindset. Not even all of the core members.
But I am not here to police other people's "ideas".

But I'll do everything I can to not let conflicting agendas dissuade spreadcoin from achieving true decentralization.

---

So... I'm putting a few things together.

I understand that what people are most waiting to see is some sort of update about the work I've been doing. And not just once, but in a regular manner, maybe once a week?
It will take me a few days to put all the experiments I have done (and their results) in a digestible form that can be publicly presented.
I do have a promising format in mind that I can use to present updates, possibly in the form of a youtube podcast.

Please bare with me for a few more days, to get everything in order.

Thanks everybody!

Abou Talha

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 08:33:24 PM

I'm still here, georgem, as every day. Your project is great. Keep up the good work ! Wink
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 08:34:53 PM

I'm still here, georgem, as every day. Your project is great. Keep up the good work ! Wink

Thank you, I certainly need to step it up a notch.

rhinomonkey

Activity: 646
Merit: 501

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:19:00 PM
Last edit: February 29, 2016, 09:42:47 PM by rhinomonkey

As a libertarian I understand the principles of decentralization pretty well, so rest assured that everything I research and develop has the goal of increasing decentralization, or finding new ways of decentralization where it hasn't been tried before.
I am not here to please investors or fintech or my own or someone elses financial needs. But in the end, the world is in dire need of more decentralization so all the aforementioned parties will find value in truly decentralized systems.

That's also why I am building servicenodes that run with a competitive collateral. (decentralizing away the need for a "king" that decides the amount of collateral for everybody else)
Literally everything I will work on will have the name "decentralized" in front of it, or else I'm simply not going to touch it.

You get the idea: if it can't be done in a decentralized way, we shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

So with this in mind, I understand that not everybody here has the same mindset. Not even all of the core members.

But I'll do everything I can to not let conflicting agendas dissuade spreadcoin from achieving true decentralization.

---

I understand that what people are most waiting to see is some sort of update about the work I've been doing. And not just once, but in a regular manner, maybe once a week?
It will take me a few days to put all the experiments I have done (and their results) in a digestible form that can be publicly presented.
I do have a promising format in mind that I can use to present updates, possibly in the form of a youtube podcast.

Thanks everybody!

Encouraging to hear! Undoubtedly, there will be exciting times ahead!!

Looking forward to learning more about your work up to this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPLG-svY2w

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:34:27 PM

Hail Hydra
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 09:43:21 PM

Hail Hydra

haha, why, those are the bad guys!

CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:56:47 PM

Hail Hydra

haha, why, those are the bad guys!

hmm i guess it depends on your point of view lol

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 10:52:44 PM

Automated escrow Is here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1378318.msg14021961#msg14021961
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 11:37:27 PM

I tried the standalone Spreadcoin vanity gen (https://github.com/spreadcoin/vanitygen) but it doesn't seem to work.
It finds matches but when I import the priv key into a wallet it gives a different public address.
I tried specifying a version number (-X) but whatever I add will lead to vanity gen telling me that addresses should start with 1 and not S which is clearly not right so I'm confused.

georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 12:13:54 AM

I tried the standalone Spreadcoin vanity gen (https://github.com/spreadcoin/vanitygen) but it doesn't seem to work.
It finds matches but when I import the priv key into a wallet it gives a different public address.
I tried specifying a version number (-X) but whatever I add will lead to vanity gen telling me that addresses should start with 1 and not S which is clearly not right so I'm confused.

Vanitygen uses uncompressed addresses by default.

Spreadcoin uses compressed ones.

You can best study the structure of any coins addresses by using http://www.universalwalletgenerator.net/
(Set it up for SPR addresses)

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:00:28 AM

Vanitygen uses uncompressed addresses by default.

Spreadcoin uses compressed ones.

You can best study the structure of any coins addresses by using http://www.universalwalletgenerator.net/
(Set it up for SPR addresses)

Does that mean the standalone vanitygen is useless?

stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1666

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:23:49 AM

Sounds like a scam.   Might as well search for scammernakamoto.  Do not take from our hard earned nodes!  I thought spread coin was above all that.  We do not want to turn into fedoracoin do we?
~GRC

Don't worry, I think people here are just brainstorming, so always take such unofficial ideas with a grain of salt.

One day we might have a vanitygen-competition, but only if it can run on top of a blockchain-based crowd-funding mechanism, where participants themselves decide the goal of the competition and the prize-collateral they are willing to bet. No middlemen whatsoever. And most importantly: people who don't want to participate, don't need to.
Such schemes must always work in a trustless, permissionless manner, where nobody has any control or liability: with only cryptography as the sole guardian needed.

---

Thanks everybody!

Georgem, for your first update can you make sure that you address individual concerns?  Its all very well talking about your commitment to decentralisation and experiments that you have conducted but people want to know how your progress against the roadmap is developing and also when other people will be permitted to assist you.

You've got a team of people with significant experience in crypto who are emotionally and financially invested in this project ready and willing to help you. At the moment you are cutting them off.  You aren't even engaging people in the dev slack channel which is why I am speaking publicly here.  I don't think anybody thinks this is wise or acceptable.  At worst, its disrespectful to people who have offered you support both financially and practically.
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:46:15 AM

~GRC

---

Thanks everybody!

Georgem, for your first update can you make sure that you address individual concerns?  Its all very well talking about your commitment to decentralisation and experiments that you have conducted but people want to know how your progress against the roadmap is developing and also when other people will be permitted to assist you.

You've got a team of people with significant experience in crypto who are emotionally and financially invested in this project ready and willing to help you. At the moment you are cutting them off.  You aren't even engaging people in the dev slack channel which is why I am speaking publicly here.  I don't think anybody thinks this is wise or acceptable.  At worst, its disrespectful to people who have offered you support both financially and practically.

I'm very sorry but georgem is clinging onto an idea that I don't think he can carry out. I know he is time/money and emotionally invested so it's hard for him to be honest about the real progress, which I suspect is dismal and SNs are along way away. The task is epic and ambitious, so I really can't blame georgem. But he should be honest, 100%, let the price correct and build up from there.
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:50:15 AM

~GRC

---

Thanks everybody!

I'm very sorry but georgem is clinging onto an idea that I don't think he can carry out. I know he is time/money and emotionally invested so it's hard for him to be honest about the real progress, which I suspect is dismal and SNs are along way away. The task is epic and ambitious, so I really can't blame georgem. But he should be honest, 100%, let the price correct and build up from there.

I make no assumptions but I'd like to think that georgem would ask for help if he was struggling.  What he is setting out to do is achievable and there are plenty of people out there ready and willing to help if he would let them in.

This is a community project but at the moment it feels like georgem is running this solo.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:20:37 PM

I'm super excited about zero knowledge contingent payments. I stated many pages back that zero knowledge proofs was probably the way to go with PoBN and I am even more confident that it can indeed help with validating PoBN.

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2016/02/26/zero-knowledge-contingent-payments-announcement/

Propagandalf

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:04:17 PM

This is a good time to buy more SPR  Grin
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:28:06 PM

~GRC

---

Thanks everybody!

I make no assumptions but I'd like to think that georgem would ask for help if he was struggling.  What he is setting out to do is achievable and there are plenty of people out there ready and willing to help if he would let them in.

This is a community project but at the moment it feels like georgem is running this solo.

I totally support georgem. Why is there so many critics these times ? Such a project take a lot of time, and anyone can contribute without asking the permission Roll Eyes...
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:48:25 PM

~GRC

---

Thanks everybody!

I totally support georgem. Why is there so many critics these times ? Such a project take a lot of time, and anyone can contribute without asking the permission Roll Eyes...

My only criticisms are that communication is non existent and progress isn't reported.  This makes it very hard to contribute.

How can a team work together if they have no idea what the lead dev is doing?
Pages: « 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: