Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:05:47 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382137 times)
Scalextrix

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 09:59:04 PM

Is a public IP required to be a host for files?

Yes, you are identified on the network by your IP and it should be static too. If you change your IP, uploaders won't be able to confirm file contracts later and you will not be paid for used storage. Alternatively, use DynDNS and announce your host with a domain name.

Taek mention on Slack recently this may change in the future.
Arrgghhh, I didnt realise that... Cant you just use the wallet address as the identifier?

The developers have a plan for how to identify hosts. But for now, its all based on your IP which ideally should not change if you're a host.
I have a problem, I use a Synology DDNS (it's free) but my router can't accept that (Lynksys ea6900).  Is there a way to configure the sia app with the Synology DDNS, if not I have to stop hosting until there is a Synology app or until hosting doesn't need a static IP.

SolarCoin Address: 8cESoZyjFvx2Deq6VjQLqPfAwu8UXjcBkK    Gridcoin Address: SAuPu8zarzQykWLGwxc6JRvW3imM8YU9wc
Pinkcoin Address: 2GTnp7oRn2i6KnuwfGaFh1Ps7RZFyDe6nH    MannaCurrency Address: GXDwi6W888jbQZ7a79GTaStxiQsYehisfi
in-cred-u-lous

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:12:21 PM

Yes, you are identified on the network by your IP and it should be static too. If you change your IP, uploaders won't be able to confirm file contracts later and you will not be paid for used storage. Alternatively, use DynDNS and announce your host with a domain name.

Arrgghhh, I didnt realise that... Cant you just use the wallet address as the identifier?

The developers have a plan for how to identify hosts. But for now, its all based on your IP which ideally should not change if you're a host.
I have a problem, I use a Synology DDNS (it's free) but my router can't accept that (Lynksys ea6900).  Is there a way to configure the sia app with the Synology DDNS, if not I have to stop hosting until there is a Synology app or until hosting doesn't need a static IP.

Not sure if I follow. Does the DDNS work for your Synology box? If so, I assume the IP is the same for the Synology box and the computer running Sia. Or, the Synology DDNS does not work at all, even for your Synology box?
Riseman

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:26:28 PM

Not sure if I follow. Does the DDNS work for your Synology box? If so, I assume the IP is the same for the Synology box and the computer running Sia. Or, the Synology DDNS does not work at all, even for your Synology box?

As far as I know you must have a public IP for the DDNS to work anyway. DDNS is just a workaround for a non-static public IP so that your host can be accessed by URL.
tomahawkeer

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:50:42 PM

I have received several contracts over the past few days. As it currently stands, I have 288 contracts for 5.04GB. I am showed the amount to be earned, however, nothing has actually been earned, as its still at 0. How long does it take to actually start receiving the coins? Again i've had contracts for several days now, I figured some would have started trickling in by now.
in-cred-u-lous

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:57:15 PM

I have received several contracts over the past few days. As it currently stands, I have 288 contracts for 5.04GB. I am showed the amount to be earned, however, nothing has actually been earned, as its still at 0. How long does it take to actually start receiving the coins? Again i've had contracts for several days now, I figured some would have started trickling in by now.

You only receive the coins when the file contracts expire. Renters pay when they upload, but hosts only get paid if they store the file for the agreed amount of time.

The default period is 6,000 blocks I think, which is about 6 weeks. So, you should start seeing coins transferring to your wallet about 6 weeks after you first started hosting files.

Renters that upload through the API are free to set their own contract period (I have mine default to 2,000 blocks, which is about 2 weeks).

The important thing as a host is to remember to keep your host turned on. If renters cannot verify you still have the files at the end of the contract period (because your machine is turned off), you will not receive the coins! In that case, the coins are refunded to the renter. Oh, and keep your wallet unlocked too!
Touque

Activity: 94

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 11:47:50 PM

Does a renter need an IP address to upload and store and retrieve the files?
tomahawkeer

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 12:47:26 AM

You only receive the coins when the file contracts expire. Renters pay when they upload, but hosts only get paid if they store the file for the agreed amount of time.

The default period is 6,000 blocks I think, which is about 6 weeks. So, you should start seeing coins transferring to your wallet about 6 weeks after you first started hosting files.

Renters that upload through the API are free to set their own contract period (I have mine default to 2,000 blocks, which is about 2 weeks).

The important thing as a host is to remember to keep your host turned on. If renters cannot verify you still have the files at the end of the contract period (because your machine is turned off), you will not receive the coins! In that case, the coins are refunded to the renter. Oh, and keep your wallet unlocked too!

Do renters have the ability to end the contract before its up ? And if so how does that change payment ?
akaman

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 01:08:18 AM

Does a renter need an IP address to upload and store and retrieve the files?

A fixed IP? No.
akaman

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 01:09:00 AM

Do renters have the ability to end the contract before its up ? And if so how does that change payment ?

No at present. The file contract is set for a fixed period and cannot be changed.

Scalextrix

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 06:33:03 AM
Last edit: February 01, 2016, 07:26:49 AM by Scalextrix

I have a problem, I use a Synology DDNS (it's free) but my router can't accept that (Lynksys ea6900).  Is there a way to configure the sia app with the Synology DDNS, if not I have to stop hosting until there is a Synology app or until hosting doesn't need a static IP.

Yes the DDNS works for the Synology box and the Sia machine is behind the same router, but the router isnt configured with the DDNS so Im assuming the Sia machine will not be accessible with the Synology DDNS.  Perhaps I dont understand how it works properly, I know it keeps the routing tables updated that ABCD.synology.me = 2.86.1.54 but I didnt know it could do the reverse 6 weeks later.  I guess lets see if I get paid.

SolarCoin Address: 8cESoZyjFvx2Deq6VjQLqPfAwu8UXjcBkK    Gridcoin Address: SAuPu8zarzQykWLGwxc6JRvW3imM8YU9wc
Pinkcoin Address: 2GTnp7oRn2i6KnuwfGaFh1Ps7RZFyDe6nH    MannaCurrency Address: GXDwi6W888jbQZ7a79GTaStxiQsYehisfi
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 09:19:38 AM

What if there is a power outage where you live?
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 09:22:42 AM

So IIUC a file gets split up and stored in many places, with each small part stored in many places. So...the fee gets split up between all the hosts?
tomahawkeer

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 02:59:12 PM

Next noob question.

Is it ok to just MOVE the installation of SAI from 1 drive to another? I am wanting to increase my offering substantially, however it is currently on a drive that cannot accommodate the space I want to allocate. Do I just stop all the services and apps, then move it to desired location restart the app and increase the allocated space?
akaman

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:33:29 PM

What if there is a power outage where you live?

Power outages are usually short (hours) and should not be a problem. Persistent downtime each day is a problem.

But, if you have a power outage at the exact time renters check your host for files, you may be out of luck (for just those files, mind you).
akaman

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:35:04 PM

So IIUC a file gets split up and stored in many places, with each small part stored in many places. So...the fee gets split up between all the hosts?

Correct. There is also a redundancy on top of it all (x6 I think). Each file is split into 24 pieces x 6, so 144 pieced in total distributed across 24 hosts at minimum. Hosts are selected based on price (cheapest have the highest probability of being selected).
akaman

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:36:10 PM

Next noob question.

Is it ok to just MOVE the installation of SAI from 1 drive to another? I am wanting to increase my offering substantially, however it is currently on a drive that cannot accommodate the space I want to allocate. Do I just stop all the services and apps, then move it to desired location restart the app and increase the allocated space?

Yes, you can just move the entire installation directory. Close Sia first though. Oh, and you can also symlink just the host directory if you wanted to. Or, you can run siad with the --sia-directory parameter (see siad help).
tomahawkeer

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 05:09:45 PM

Next noob question.

Yes, you can just move the entire installation directory. Close Sia first though. Oh, and you can also symlink just the host directory if you wanted to. Or, you can run siad with the --sia-directory parameter (see siad help).

Moved and back running. Updated to a 3TB offering now :-)
akaman

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 05:50:22 PM

Next noob question.

Cool! Now is a good time to offer up more space. Smaller hosts start to fill up and there's a been a big increase in activity on the network lately. Prices have gone up as well. So, i seems a good time to make some extra bucks by hosting up more space. I think I'll jack my host up to 5 TB as well.
tomahawkeer

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 06:46:14 PM

Next noob question.

Cool! Now is a good time to offer up more space. Smaller hosts start to fill up and there's a been a big increase in activity on the network lately. Prices have gone up as well. So, i seems a good time to make some extra bucks by hosting up more space. I think I'll jack my host up to 5 TB as well.

So what is the best way to come up with a price? If you click on the FILES portion of the client, it lists storage currently at 182.81s / GB/month. is that a good way to guestimate how much to charge for contracts?
akaman

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 06:51:08 PM

Next noob question.

So what is the best way to come up with a price? If you click on the FILES portion of the client, it lists storage currently at 182.81s / GB/month. is that a good way to guestimate how much to charge for contracts?

The price listed on the File page takes into account x6 redundancy. Hosts, on average, actually charge just a 6th of that. Still, host charges vary a lot. Some charge as little as 3 SC/GB/Mo, some as much as 500 SC/GB/Mo. The absolute max is 500 SC; the Sia client will refuse to make contracts above this price.

See http://siapulse.com/page/network or query Sia with
Code:
siac hostdb
to see the current prices charged by Hosts.

When you charge more, you will receive fewer contracts. Still, with the small number of active hosts, I think you could charge close to the max and still get a good number of contracts. Its a bit of an unknown game at the moment. I would experiment with different rates. Change the rate every few days, monitor how many new contracts you're getting and figure out the best (i..e most profitable) rate that way.
Pages: « 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: