Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 09:07:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378930 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 08:46:20 PM

If at least Peter R could switch from his usual charting drivel and spherical cows..... I'm up for new challenges but he keeps repeating the same old bored ideas

Totally.  PR's absurdly reductionist considerations of spherical blockchains never passed my smell test.

Having a classically-trained nose finely tuned for bogon detection, I pegged that shitlord's "I've done The MathTM; you haven't done The MathTM so shut up and accept Gavinblocks" pseudo-academic browbeating right off the bat.

I'm surprised (and a bit galled) smooth, etc. took PR's agenda-based obscurantism seriously, and even gave him a platform at #ScalingBitcoin.  Classic example of the demarcation problem.   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
coalitionfor8mb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:04:06 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 12:17:34 PM by coalitionfor8mb

Having a classically-trained nose finely tuned for bogon detection, I pegged that shitlord's "I've done The MathTM; you haven't done The MathTM so shut up and accept Gavinblocks" pseudo-academic browbeating right off the bat.

Awesome stuff! Liked this part the most:
"When the bogon encounters its antiparticle, the cluon, they mutually annihilate each other, releasing magic smoke!" Grin
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:14:27 PM

...you Gavinistas actually believed you controlled more than ~0% of Bitcoin's socioeconomic consensus...

In your giddiness you've become so unsophisticated that you can't even manage to avoid projection?

What next "NO U?"?

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:50:17 PM

Hah just found out about this, I had missed the chat these days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3n18en/mike_hearn_banned_from_bitcoindev_sept29/

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 01:06:38 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3n18en/mike_hearn_banned_from_bitcoindev_sept29/

He done got phorked off  Cheesy

Mike is losing it  Cheesy

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 02:21:47 AM

I do however hope that 'our group' doesn't count these people out prematurely.  They are not stupid and do not want for resources.  I can pretty much promise that they'll be back and will be constantly learning from their mistakes.

I'm counting on XT-type disloyal opposition to continue providing BTC with the adversity required to further develop its antifragility.

If nobody attacks BTC, the dodo bird "island effect" sets in and we grow too fat/lazy/stupid to fly.   Grin

The lulz are great fun, but there are higher strategic purposes and hidden ideological agendas embedded within my "antics" (which BTW I am glad you enjoy).

Somehow your prose and demeanor remind me of one of my very favorite stories from childhood:

Nutkin became more and more impertinent—

"Old Mr. B! Old Mr. B!
   Hickamore, Hackamore, on the King's kitchen door;
   All the King's horses, and all the King's men,
   Couldn't drive Hickamore, Hackamore,
   Off the King's kitchen door."

Nutkin danced up and down like a sunbeam; but still Old Brown said nothing at all.

That part that does not fit is that these dumb-asses are not as stoic as Old Brown.  Thankfully.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 03:33:29 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 03:51:52 AM by iCEBREAKER

...you Gavinistas actually believed you controlled more than ~0% of Bitcoin's socioeconomic consensus...

In your giddiness you've become so unsophisticated that you can't even manage to avoid projection?

What would it take to convince you Team XT are the baddies in this civil war?  Do they need to put skulls on their hats or what?

How about your Dear Leader going completely off the rails and claiming to have invented SPV?

If you aren't on Core's Clue Train at this point, you may be stuck at the station.

And BTW....

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 03:55:28 AM

He done got phorked off  Cheesy

Mike is losing it  Cheesy

There are several ways I can think of where Mike might be speaking the truth:

1) Mike is Satoshi

2) Mike helped Satoshi with the idea.

3) Mike somehow 'updated' the whitepaper without it being noticed.

Believe it or not, I don't fully rule out any of these possibilities since I cannot (nor do I think they are very likely for a bunch of different reasons of course.)  It is true that I don't rule out the possibility that Bitcoin itself is some sort of a DARPA-like invention, and it would explain some of the defects and even some of the design criteria.  Again I don't think it is likely though.

When I first read the whitepaper I didn't really notice or comprehend the SPV aspect or the (purported) suggestion/expectation that it was to consolidate to a more centralized form.  I also was left with the impression that validating transfer nodes were to be rewarded rather than simply mining nodes.  I highly doubt that the whitepaper was edited and write off my misunderstandings to poor reading skills and to much skimming.  Whatever the case, it was a highly profitable mistake to have made since Bitcoin would not have been anywhere nearly as interesting to me had I understood these aspects more fully.

Thankfully there are plenty now of people who see the promise of Bitcoin and the dangers to it in a manner which is similar to the way I do.  And they are among the most skilled and influential people in the space.  This gives me enough hope for now.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 03:57:40 AM

You're taking the piss now right? You cannot be serious.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 04:08:54 AM

You're taking the piss now right? You cannot be serious.

Presumably you are addressing the up-post...

Sure I'm serious.  I only rule things out completely when I have a VERY high degree of confidence that I can do so.  I was not involved in the design of Bitcoin and have no way of knowing the details of whoever might have been.

It is fairly common for me to 'know' something to, say, the 99% level but have the remaining 1% be a mish-mash of off-the wall possibilities.  It's my nature.  And it has served me well over the years.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 08:09:51 AM

hearn banned from#b-dev

http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2015/09/29

Grin
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 10:59:38 AM

There are several ways I can think of where Mike might be speaking the truth:

1) Mike is Satoshi

2) Mike helped Satoshi with the idea.

3) Mike somehow 'updated' the whitepaper without it being noticed.

+1

It depends on which Satoshi you're talking about of course, but if it's a case of identifying the particular Satoshi that coined the SPV expression, sure, no reason why Hearn could not have been behind that originally.

Believe it or not, I don't fully rule out any of these possibilities since I cannot (nor do I think they are very likely for a bunch of different reasons of course.)  It is true that I don't rule out the possibility that Bitcoin itself is some sort of a DARPA-like invention, and it would explain some of the defects and even some of the design criteria.  Again I don't think it is likely though.

I think it's the most likely explanation, but I also reject the implication that an organisation like DARPA would create/deploy/promote decentralised cryptocurrency with insidious/pernicious intent. I think they're taking a higher level view; that proliferation of decentralised technologies is inevitable anyway, and the best they can do is lead the charge, collecting whatever benefits and assuming whatever roles that need filling, and muddying the waters throughout the process as much as possible so as to maximise their position once the dust settles. A successful centralising change to the protocol is just a single example of that tactic; if I were the ostensible DARPA director, I would have people like Hearn agitating in that direction, but simultaneously have a Greg Maxwell type character formulating his "vengeful fightback cryptocurrency design". You must be in a position to influence or capitalise on either side of a conflict, it's basic Machiavellianism.

tl;dr - everyone seems to assume "adversary vs adversary" when Hegellian dialectic is the preference. These people don't want to lose, and so playing the role of a match-fixing referee is the only guaranteed way to always win.

Thankfully there are plenty now of people who see the promise of Bitcoin and the dangers to it in a manner which is similar to the way I do.  And they are among the most skilled and influential people in the space.  This gives me enough hope for now.

I'm more optimistic than that; the programmers you refer to (and other people altogether) will inspire so many more to work on this stuff both in the future and even right now. Knowledge is it's own reward, and this subject is one of the richest that human history has offered so far. We simply won't be able to stop the right people turning up and consolidating and innovating this concept further.

Vires in numeris
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 11:15:50 AM

Hope that Gavin don't get banned from bitcoin-dev aswell, he is a XT dev, but he made good things to core, he have a few commits and is one of the few devs that look this forum.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 11:27:02 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 11:58:49 AM by hdbuck

Hope that Gavin don't get banned from bitcoin-dev aswell, he is a XT dev, but he made good things to core, he have a few commits and is one of the few devs that look this forum.

gavin hasnt made a core commit in years. (probably too busy with XT)

so he is totally irrelevant, and his failed coup with his fraud of an acolyte hearn should be carved in everyone's head for posterity as well as prosperity.

altho we could thx him for making bitcoin stronger against the low social means, intellectual fallacies, approximations and shortcuts he shamelessly used, i'd say let's irc-rucify the statist sucker for the example too!

then he could always spend the rest of his life giving "blockchain technology 101" courses over at MIT. yeayy. ^^
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 12:11:29 PM

then he could always spend the rest of his life giving "blockchain technology 101" courses over at MIT. yeayy. ^^

The "101" thing; I don't think that irony would ever be lost on the latest intake of students to Professor Andresen's class. Maybe it wouldn't work out so good lol  Cheesy

Vires in numeris
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 02:17:00 PM

Still spinning false narratives in here it seems, beware of anyone who frames the conversation in terms of “good guys vs bad guys” or “good vs evil”. Such a narrative is always incorrect and oversimplifies the reality of the situation.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 03:26:01 PM

This thread is still chugging along, eh? I've been on vacation for a few weeks and fully expected to see this thread dead and buried. Is this going to be one of those threads like the BFL scammer thread where everything is said in the first 20 pages but it continues on for 1200 pages?

Why doesn't someone create a summary then end this?

Something like:

XT is dead.

It proved that Mike and Gavin are nothing more than profiteering scumbags.

Mike has delusions of grandeur, thinks he's Satoshi and invented the idea of SPV clients.

/thread

VeritasSapere

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 05:55:13 PM

This thread is still chugging along, eh? I've been on vacation for a few weeks and fully expected to see this thread dead and buried. Is this going to be one of those threads like the BFL scammer thread where everything is said in the first 20 pages but it continues on for 1200 pages?

Something like:

XT is dead.

Mike has delusions of grandeur, thinks he's Satoshi and invented the idea of SPV clients.

/thread
Because there is disagreement about this issue, and not everyone sees this from your perspective, myself included.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:05:18 PM

Something like:

XT is dead.

/thread
Because there is disagreement about this issue, and not everyone sees this from your perspective, myself included.

Disagreement over what part? XT is dead? Mike and Gavin are self serving? Mike is insane?

VeritasSapere

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:15:00 PM

Something like:

XT is dead.

/thread
Disagreement over what part? XT is dead? Mike and Gavin are self serving? Mike is insane?
Yes I disagree with all of these points.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1164464.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=946236.0
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: