Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:55:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 03:48:13 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2015, 06:12:17 PM by Carlton Banks

I do not have any issues with running my nodes now in terms of bandwith, surfing, netflix, gaming, streaming ect. Everything works fine with the full nodes that I have setup and they do not interfere with the rest of the things I use the internet for in my home. I can also predict that eight megabyte blocks would also personally not be a problem for me. However like I said I am in the minority in terms of the quality of my connection here in the Netherlands, I can download over two hundred gigabytes overnight using bit torrent while still allowing enough bandwidth for my full nodes to operate.
We could all careless about your own node experience. The only important node is the one I run.
This seems like an untenable position, I suppose if you had a 56k dial up connection then the whole Bitcoin network would need to downscale so that you can run a full node?

Well, we don't even need to torture your logic in order to expose the hypocrisy of your position: you argue on one hand that you're in favour of responsible scaling solutions, and simultaneously behave as if the number of ordinary users with the resources to contribute to scaling up the network isn't a consideration.

Vires in numeris
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:15:43 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2015, 04:40:40 PM by VeritasSapere

This seems like an untenable position, I suppose if you had a 56k dial up connection then the whole Bitcoin network would need to downscale so that you can run a full node?
We already destroyed the chances of most possible domestic grade connections to run their own nodes (3G/4G mobile, dial-up, HAM radio, most Sat, etc).
This is true, that most domestic grade connections globally today can not run full nodes, however in the developed world most people can still run full nodes. Of course when you refer to most connections in the world you are talking about the developing world which predominantly do use mobile 3G/4G connections, however smart phones can not run full nodes anyway. Not sure if dial-up is still even used, HAM radio? I understand using a Satellite connection if you are in a remote location, however again this is not necessarily a critical group of people for running full nodes.

Currently only the top home broadband connections can realistically keep up at 400~700KB with 1MB peaks. Multiply it by 8 like BIP101 proposes as soon as January and almost no home users in the whole world will remain. Maybe in a couple jurisdictions. Also 8MB is the minimum, doubling up to 8GB is a fixed scaling scheme based on zero real information and pure speculation.
If you are referring to the entire world then this is true, however in the developed world it is not. Saying that almost no home users in the whole world will remain with eight megabyte blocks is also just not true, I have even looked up some numbers to prove my point.

20 MB = 160 Mbit
120 seconds to download the block = 120
160 / 120 = 1.33 Mbps downstream
1.33 * 2 = 2.66 Mbps downstream

98% of the US has at least 6mbps. Source: http://www.broadbandmap.gov/blog/

So under the BIP101 schedule more then ninety eight percent of the people in the US will be able to run full nodes on their home connections that they have today for at least the next four years. It is also good to keep in mind that just because we raise the blocksize limit it does not mean that the blocks will become consistently full, after all the limit is one megabyte today and yet we do not have one megabyte blocks.

This whole discussion is pointless if we don't agree to what is acceptable in this regard. This seems to be the case, because people like Gavin or Hearn think domestic users should not be nodes and have said so in numerous occasions. On the other hand most Core devs think it's essential.
I do not think it is true that Gavin and Mike said that domestic users users should not be nodes, they might have said that most domestic users might eventually not be able to run full nodes anymore but that is a position that I accept as well, which is different to saying that there should not be any domestic nodes.

There is no possible reconciliation between these two positions, as I've said many times. The trade-offs vary wildly between them and the endgame of each of them is a completely different Bitcoin to the other.
If you really think that is the case then a split is justified. I would like to point out here though that the path towards larger blocks is the original vision of Satoshi and I do question whether such a radical diversion from this original vision should not be implemented in an altcoin instead, considering the promise of the social contract. However the ability for our community to split is of course a justified action under such a scenario, were there are fundamental ideological differences that can not be resolved. I urge you to consider whether it would not be better to adopt a more comprised position, a middle ground like what I would favor. A conservative fixed scedule or dynamic block size limit, so that we do not need to split Bitcoin which according to my prediction would most likely delay global adoption by at least a decade. Think of all the good Bitcoin could do, it can save more peoples lives, if we could just work together and find a middle way.

This is why I don't consider this to be a debate, the positions are clear and they are irreconcilable.

Personally I side with Luke, at the far end that believes we should either freeze or scale down to allow tech to catch up so more people not less can afford to run their own nodes and control their transactions fully.
If enough people take the extreme position to not increase the blocksize or even scale it down then I believe splitting Bitcoin will be inevitable. I prefer to follow the original vision for Bitcoin by Satoshi Nakamoto, any divergence from that vision should be implemented in an altcoin instead, in that sense I am rather conservative in regards to Bitcoin. I do actually think that Bitcoin splitting in this way is inevitable over the long term, it is off political necessity, however I was hoping that this blocksize debate would not lead to that.

Quote from: Satoshi Nakamoto
The eventual solution will be to not care how big it gets.
But for now, while it’s still small, it’s nice to keep it small so new users can get going faster. When I eventually implement client-only mode, that won’t matter much anymore.
The current system where every user is a network node is not the intended configuration for large scale. That would be like every Usenet user runs their own NNTP server. The design supports letting users just be users.
I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large (bitcoin) transaction volume or no volume.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:43:18 PM

^from above, so far i'm counting:

~ 8 opinions
~ 4 fallacies
~ 4 misinformations
~ 3 approximations
~ 4 sophisms
~ 3 fud attempts
~ 1 irrelevant comparaison
~ 4 appeal to authorities

have i miss something?

it is tricky since we could get both if not three at a time of the above listed fraudulent arguments in one.
the guy surely masters the n00bish dialectic c0mb0s.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 09:57:23 PM

Absolutely everything is off up there, I'm not going to even bother. You are seriously measuring the downloading of 1 block to do your calculations, which says it all.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 10:08:17 PM

Absolutely everything is off up there, I'm not going to even bother. You are seriously measuring the downloading of 1 block to do your calculations, which says it all.

You're not making sense. What's your point?
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 10:10:13 PM

In the context of this discussion this image might be helpful

It is interesting to consider that more or less half of the rural US population don't have access to upload speed of 6 mbps or more.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:02:42 PM

Mathematics is not my specialty, so please correct this calculation if you think you can do it better. Like I said before I have a background in political philosophy not mathematics and computer networking. It would be valuable for all of us here to have a better understanding of the actual situation based on empirical evidence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/38fym5/20mb_block_sizes_requires_at_most_26_mbps/

I based my calculation on the discussion on this thread. As you can see my calculation was much more conservative then the OP. If anyone could show how to best calculate what the actual numbers are in regards to blocksize and bandwith I would love to see those numbers, a link or explanation would be great.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 11:20:44 PM

We already destroyed the chances of most possible domestic grade connections to run their own nodes (3G/4G mobile, dial-up, HAM radio, most Sat, etc).

Currently only the top home broadband connections can realistically keep up at 400~700KB with 1MB peaks. Multiply it by 8 like BIP101 proposes as soon as January and almost no home users in the whole world will remain. Maybe in a couple jurisdictions. Also 8MB is the minimum, doubling up to 8GB is a fixed scaling scheme based on zero real information and pure speculation.

This whole discussion is pointless if we don't agree to what is acceptable in this regard. This seems to be the case, because people like Gavin or Hearn think domestic users should not be nodes and have said so in numerous occasions. On the other hand most Core devs think it's essential.

There is no possible reconciliation between these two positions, as I've said many times. The trade-offs vary wildly between them and the endgame of each of them is a completely different Bitcoin to the other.

This is why I don't consider this to be a debate, the positions are clear and they are irreconcilable.

Personally I side with Luke, at the far end that believes we should either freeze or scale down to allow tech to catch up so more people not less can afford to run their own nodes and control their transactions fully.

Hearn@sigint.google.mil loves this trend.

Consolidating the diverse, freewheeling email ecosystem into a manageable monoculture proved extremely profitable for his shitlord puppet masters on Sand Hill Road.

http://liminality.xyz/the-hostile-email-landscape/

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:22:54 PM

Hearn@sigint.google.mil loves this trend.

Consolidating the diverse, freewheeling email ecosystem into a manageable monoculture proved extremely profitable for his shitlord puppet masters on Sand Hill Road.

http://liminality.xyz/the-hostile-email-landscape/

They're on Amphitheater Parkway.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:31:24 AM

It is interesting to consider that more or less half of the rural US population don't have access to upload speed of 6 mbps or more.

Where did you pull this data from? Generally interested in the subject. Also, what year is this data from? It's not surprising, FWIW. A lot of people seem to overestimate regional bandwidth capabilities on the odd assumption that we all live in a city.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 09:14:28 AM

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 10:33:38 AM

A lot of people seem to overestimate regional bandwidth capabilities on the odd assumption that we all live in a city.

true.

in France, the residentials are "limited" to 1mb upload (max 4km from the base).

only fiber residential can have a 3-5 mb upload in a radius of 1km from the base of the city (more than 200 000 persons).

so ... 0.07% of the internet contract in reality.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:48:06 PM

My original thread ended up moderated into the Altcoins sub, but I'm taking the content to the main forum anyway....

"Libertarian" bitcoiners are beginning to out themselves as XT/101 shills:

Can these people really claim to want money that's "independent from government influence", as Jeff Berwick puts it, when the change to Bitcoin is being promoted by investment from (or association with former stellar employees) of Goldman Sachs/Wal-Mart/Accel/Santander/PayPal etc?

Can they really claim to be credible libertarians, seeking to promote a suppressed idea, when they themselves only promote one side of the debate?

It's not too late to save face and actually give a platform to these "smart guys" whose opposing opinion they claim to have respect for.

Vires in numeris
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:59:06 PM

My original thread ended up moderated into the Altcoins sub, but I'm taking the content to the main forum anyway....

"Libertarian" bitcoiners are beginning to out themselves as XT/101 shills:

Can these people really claim to want money that's "independent from government influence", as Jeff Berwick puts it, when the change to Bitcoin is being promoted by investment from (or association with former stellar employees) of Goldman Sachs/Wal-Mart/Accel/Santander/PayPal etc?

Can they really claim to be credible libertarians, seeking to promote a suppressed idea, when they themselves only promote one side of the debate?

It's not too late to save face and actually give a platform to these "smart guys" whose opposing opinion they claim to have respect for.

I've noticed Ver's double discourse. Pretty lame, if you ask me.
But then again, you can't expect much from an banned convict that use to sell bombs.

The rest of these people are irrelevant.
Typical attention whatnot whores.
There is no such thing as a credible libertarian.

May them all fork to oblivion.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:23:42 PM

I don't know, people like Ian Freeman and Jim Harper are more influential than Roger Ver.

I like some of the libertarians. Jeffrey Tucker, Doug Casey, Walter Block etc. Those guys are credible libertarians to me.

Vires in numeris
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:31:41 PM

I don't know, people like Ian Freeman and Jim Harper are more influential than Roger Ver.

I meant as in bitcoin irrelevant since they do not understand a thing about encryption, code etc. They are just "ideologers".

I like some of the libertarians. Jeffrey Tucker, Doug Casey, Walter Block etc. Those guys are credible libertarians to me.

The only sorta libertarian I do consider is Proudhon. (dont know the ones you quoted tho)

But the concept of being libertarian is flawed imho and encompasses too much noise to be credible overall.
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:53:51 PM

Mathematics is not my specialty, so please correct this calculation if you think you can do it better. Like I said before I have a background in political philosophy not mathematics and computer networking. It would be valuable for all of us here to have a better understanding of the actual situation based on empirical evidence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/38fym5/20mb_block_sizes_requires_at_most_26_mbps/

I based my calculation on the discussion on this thread. As you can see my calculation was much more conservative then the OP. If anyone could show how to best calculate what the actual numbers are in regards to blocksize and bandwith I would love to see those numbers, a link or explanation would be great.
Because of protocol overhead, there will be additional data transmitted and received beyond the block contents.  There will also be multiple copies of some data transmitted because of multiple connections to/from the node.  There will also be dead time in which the bandwidth can not be used because a computer is "computing" and the link is idle.  The simple calculations place a lower bound on the bandwidth needed to receive blocks, which is the minimum needed to run a verifying node.  If the node is to contribute to the network then it will need additional bandwidth, e.g. to upload data.  (If there isn't sufficient upload bandwidth to support the block size, then the node will necessarily be leaching.)

For 10 months I ran a full node off a residential DSL service, including through the spam/loadtests. My DSLservice had approximately 15 Mbps download capability and 1 Mbps upload capability.  I limited the number of connections to 30, which seemed to allow slightly more upload bandwidth consumed in a month vs. download bandwidth, i.e. the node was not leeching. So that my other uses of my DSL service didn't choke, I enabled QoS on my router to limit  upload bandwidth from the node to 500kbps when there was conflict with other upstream traffic. Based on what I saw, it looks like this node had sufficient network bandwidth to have been able to keep up with 20 MB blocks, at least on average, but it would be close, depending on overhead factors. I would have continued to run this full node to support the network, but after upgrading to bitcoinXT in August the node was DDoSed.  I decided to no longer run a full node because of this experience.  I did not want to risk the possibility that my ISP would be taken  down again by criminals.

In my opinion the only way to settle the question of how much bandwidth is required will be to conduct actual experiments.  This will probably show up bottlenecks that simplistic calculations tend to ignore.  In addition, it will be necessary to decide what the purpose of the node is, because this will affect the load on the node and the impact of any queuing delays.  Mining on my node would be a poor idea even with 1 MB blocks due to a high orphan rate.  It would be, and was, more productive to mine with a solo mining pool.)  The proper way to do these experiments is to construct a test network of dedicated nodes, DSL simulators, etc... and come up with test workloads, measurement tools, etc...  This is a big task, not suitable for hobbyists.  With all the VC money out there, however, this is certainly something that could be done.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:19:34 PM

Week after week more desktop full node users are left behind than new ones can join. As long as this is the case the blocks are too big, not too small. No ifs or buts.

-----

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:29:13 PM

Where did you pull this data from? Generally interested in the subject. Also, what year is this data from? It's not surprising, FWIW. A lot of people seem to overestimate regional bandwidth capabilities on the odd assumption that we all live in a city.

From here, data is from 2014:
http://www.broadbandmap.gov/download/Broadband%20Availability%20in%20Rural%20vs%20Urban%20Areas.pdf

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 07:23:19 PM

If it wasn't clear by now that Gavin is an industry plant...

So far, an extensive list of Bitcoin companies, individuals and institutions have joined the Blockchain Alliance. Apart from the Chamber of Digital Commerce and Coin Center, this includes Bitcoin XT and former Bitcoin Core lead developer Gavin Andresen; Bitcoin Core developer Jeff Garzik; MIT Media Lab’s Digital Currency Initiative head Brian Forde; bitcoin exchanges BitFinex, Bitstamp, Coinbase, itBit, Kraken and CoinX; payment processors BitPay and Bitnet; wallet services Blockchain(.info), Circle and Xapo; API-provider BitGo; mining specialist BitFury and liquidity provider Noble Markets.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/prominent-bitcoin-industry-players-form-blockchain-alliance-to-combat-criminal-activity-1445522501

Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: