Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:27:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 67 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin without Altcoin ?  (Read 67952 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 05:43:15 PM

I just wanted to get your opinions on this one , what do you think Bitcoin would be if there was no Alternative coins such Litecoin & Dogecoin and the others ...
I mean it would be better with or without them Bitcoin would have no value at all ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 05:44:34 PM

Doge may have promoted bitcoin a bit as a meme(being a crypto-currency), other than that I don't think LTC or any other shitcoins actually influence bitcoin in any(positive) way.
traderbit

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 05:44:51 PM

I think that if there is no alt coins then the exchanges will have less profit.
Bitcoin will rise too much (much more that it is now) and early investors will be happy Smiley

USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 05:54:08 PM

Doge may have promoted bitcoin a bit as a meme(being a crypto-currency), other than that I don't think LTC or any other shitcoins actually influence bitcoin in any(positive) way.
That's only because most of these coins are in direct competition with bitcoin and what it stands for. However it's a free market and you can do whatever you want but my guess would be that the introduction to crypto coins will come from bitcoin. Just because bitcoin has the biggest name currently.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
croato

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 06:13:34 PM

In my opinion, only few alts have purpose in Bitcoin ecosystem. I dont want to mention any specific coin, just Bitcoin need some anon alternative when you dont want to anyone track your transactions. Other than that, maybe some faster coin, but all others are just shitcoins if you ask me.
bearex

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 06:14:22 PM

Nothing important really. They mostly just come and go, so they carry little effect with themselves. But they do promote use of Bitcoins, if people are buying them with Bitcoins,
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 06:43:35 PM

positives:
if it wasnt for altcoins, then mining pool owners wouldnt be making as much profit from the merge mining that happens. thus they would attempt to milk the miners more, which would increase the tx fee war, where miner are trying to get more reward.

if it wasnt for altcoins, then some of the exchanges wouldnt have a business. seeing as some of them do not want to handle fiat due to the fiat regulations, they would be nothing to value bitcoin against without altcoin.

if it wasnt for altcoins, then people would not have as much freedom to play around making their own code, and be more forced into the bitcoin consensus of the github, where change takes forever and freedoms of creativity are limited to the security of bitcoin.

negatives
if it wasnt for altcoins, some premined scam coins would not exist, stealing real bitcoin value and leaving users holding a bag of s**t coins

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 07:08:22 PM

All the altcoins come and go but they have all in a way promoted bitcoins. However, bitcoin has been independent compared to the other coins and people who have invested in dogecoin and other coins and switching back to BTC considering that it is more popular and worth buying.

An article: http://bravenewcoin.com/news/bitcoins-value-altcoins/

h0w8rd

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:11:00 PM

I think if Bitcoin going to make it is to have some challenges from Altcoins
KenR

Activity: 910

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:13:55 PM

Altcoins are dependend on bitcoin, but not the other way. So altcoins dont influence bitcoin in any way(unless some altcoin is worth more than bitcoin). But altcoin trading is a big business and it shouldnt actually used as a replica of bitcoin - it should be a way of experimenting with cryptocurrencies.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:15:29 PM

Altcoins sure brought a lot of people to Bitcoin. I think Bitcoin wouldn't be much different without altcoins, but it would definitely have less users/a slower adoption. Altcoins also brought many people aboard thinking that cryptocurrencies was a get rich fast scheme and many fell for that... Making some quite rich.
ATguy

Activity: 423

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:01:08 PM

Altcoins giving me confidence Bitcoin is really best. After all, in free market the best wins, and Bitcoin market share and useability talk itselves. And yes, so many different variants of Bitcoin were tried (altcoins) yet nothing really better to overtake Bitcoin market share and useability (I dont say it cant happen one day, just saying not happened yet - obviously).

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:05:59 PM

I'm not really into alts but I think they have a side benefit. All the people who created alts must have learned a lot about bitcoin in the process. They may help write the next generation of crypto code

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:15:55 PM

I just wanted to get your opinions on this one , what do you think Bitcoin would be if there was no Alternative coins such Litecoin & Dogecoin and the others ...
I mean it would be better with or without them Bitcoin would have no value at all ?

More money would be in bitcoin, meaning the price would be higher.

However, I don't see those as a competition. Some coins have a function (f.e. tipping etc.). Non crypto people will be alerted by this and will also start reading & learning about bitcoin. Since bitcoin is the real thing..

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:44:37 PM

Altcoins are good for testing and for doing some research. And if something is useful it can be implemented in Bitcoin. Therefore altcoins deserve their space.
But the main reason why altcoins popped out from the ground like mushrooms was the crazy bubble in late 2013 of Bitcoin. From that moment on many devs just thought they could make a quick buck.And to be honest it worked out very well for a few.
But none of these altcoins will have any bigger effect or could be a real threat to Bitcoin.
A few however may have a good chance to exist beside our giant. Coins with stealth technology like Monero, Dash could be highly demanded in the future in "certain niche markets".
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:49:00 PM

Competition is good. Just like bitcoin is competing and providing alternative to current financial system and operations, the same altocoins do for bitcoin.

Also bitcoin has its own limitations, and is not perfect solution to every possible use case of a cryptocurrency. For example, confirmation time of 10 minutes (often more) is too long for many cases. So they may use litecoin, which is faster. Others may not like the fact that bitcoin is not fully anonymous. They might use monero in some cases. Also there are objections to bitcoin mining, which is just generating heat. Why not use mining power to do something useful with it, like in gridcoin?

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
unent

Activity: 326

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:52:31 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2015, 05:53:51 PM by unent

During the 2013 bubble people saw altcoins getting pumped crazily and bought Bitcoins to buy the altcoins with. Those altcoin buyers were pumping so much money through Bitcoin that I think it helped sustain Bitcoin's high price for longer than it would have held up if there were no altcoins.
Digit-0

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

in the end, you only find the beginning

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:52:45 PM

negatives
if it wasnt for altcoins, some premined scam coins would not exist, stealing real bitcoin value and leaving users holding a bag of s**t coins

I really think that this is the only one problem about altcoins at the moment. From my point of view alts are not so bad, they are giving something like more liquidity to the ecosystem ( well you know... at least few of them ), besides that, i dont see any problems related with alt coins.

USB-S

Activity: 574

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:53:38 PM

Altcoins are good for testing and for doing some research. And if something is useful it can be implemented in Bitcoin. Therefore altcoins deserve their space.
But the main reason why altcoins popped out from the ground like mushrooms was the crazy bubble in late 2013 of Bitcoin. From that moment on many devs just thought they could make a quick buck.And to be honest it worked out very well for a few.
But none of these altcoins will have any bigger effect or could be a real threat to Bitcoin.
A few however may have a good chance to exist beside our giant. Coins with stealth technology like Monero, Dash could be highly demanded in the future in "certain niche markets".
As long as the currency has volumes, then it's alive. This goes for every alt and fiat alike. What you're saying is that gold is now worthless since we have cash. But in my opinion it's volumes that create demand. If there is demand, that means it has value. I see some altcoins succeeding along with bitcoin, some maybe even taking over bitcoin. But in the next 10 years its mostly about bitcoin. However if bitcoin raises, most alts that have volumes will rise with bitcoin.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:21:04 PM

The altcoins may have diluted a chunk of market share from bitcoin. Looks like about 1/5th of all money in crypto has been sunk into the altcoins.

Not that bad actually, because they are also bought using bitcoin, which boosts the need for bitcoin as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 67 »
  Print  

Jump to: