Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:21:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 352 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain's Released Antminer S9, World's First 16nm Miner Ready to Order  (Read 530841 times)
wolfen

Activity: 770
Merit: 523

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 01:15:23 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2016, 01:34:11 PM by wolfen

I thought the boards would be 1 2 3 left to right or right to left.
Not the case. Seems they can be in any order.
For me it is trial and error to find sick or dead boards.
Dead boards are easier, little red light is out.
When they are sick the red light is still on. So I pull hash cables one at a time and restart until the sick board goes away. Bingo.

For those about to block we salute you! AC->BTC
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 04:22:06 AM

When they are sick the red light is still on. So I pull hash cables one at a time and restart until the sick board goes away.

I have spent quite some time troubleshooting only a few dead boards myself. While I have had only a few boards go dead I will say that the few I have tried to fix had no rhyme or reason to the fixes. The order of boards to I/O is weird.
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 12:38:57 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2016, 12:50:59 AM by sloopy

When they are sick the red light is still on. So I pull hash cables one at a time and restart until the sick board goes away.

I have spent quite some time troubleshooting only a few dead boards myself. While I have had only a few boards go dead I will say that the few I have tried to fix had no rhyme or reason to the fixes. The order of boards to I/O is weird.

I took pictures of the one I troubleshot yesterday. I will try to get them up in a post with a step by step for others. I know you guys know how to troubleshoot to a hash board, using ther LED, etc but it sure might make life easier for others just getting into a situation to have a 1,2,3 approach.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the time? Please give me your thoughts before I go to all the trouble of cleaning up all the pictures I took.

Something along the lines of:
A. When viewing the miner from the back we will call the hash boards from right to left board 1, 2, 3. (back meaning facing the exhaust fan)

B. When viewing the miner from the back we will call the connectors on the Bitmain I/O board from right to left J1, J2, J3, and so on. (back still means facing the exhaust fan.)

C. If you see channels 2 and 4 functioning in the miner user interface (in my case) hash board 1 was the one at fault. Hash board 1 was connected to J1 on the IO board.

I can state these things now because I took the time to disconnect power from each hash board, repower the unit, and note which channel shows activity. To further troubleshoot all possible scenarios I also connected the power and cable going to the IO board from a hashboard which was functioning correctly.
So using a different cable, a different connection point on the IO board where a known good hashboard ran, and the PCIe power connections from a known functioning hash board and I have a board which still never shows up in the GUI.

Once I am this far I remove the board from the unit and take it to the bench for further testing, some of which must be under power so be prepared for such to move on. I use many steps from the posts I quoted in my last post in this thread above. I am not going to put those in a hash board step by step at this point as there are too many variables and I feel if someone has the ability to troubleshoot at that level we have a different discussion.

What concerns me is (as you guys have mentioned) the hash board which fails doesn't show (or not show) as a consistent chain in the GUI. This may be why I was unable to simply be sure if the hash board is connected to J1, then it is always the board on the right. (When facing the exhaust fan) It sounds like you guys are saying it is indeed not always the same channel which appears and therefore just because it is connected to J1 it may not be the board on the right.

Please confirm I understand, and also I appreciate your and others input on if you think this is useful along with your experience on which hash board fails versus which channel was "missing" in the GUI.

I know we do not hear people talk when everything is running great but that is another point I think many people would enjoy hearing. Regarding the last three S9 batches, or lets say any purchases within the last 3 months, has anyone had any failures?

If people could share their personal experience it would be a great help. Say, I purchased 4 miners and I had one board failure, or I purchased 14 miners and had zero failures.

For people with several or zero failures are you performing any regular maintenance, how are your miners setup, what are your ambient and operating temperatures, what type of power supply are you using and any other details you would be willing to share.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks  

Edit 1:
PS
I deal with ESD scenarios quite a bit in my day job. The equipment I work with creates a great deal of high frequency noise in normal use and we must use components which are isolated against such and determine ways to further isolate the equipment - particularly PC components. For example we use optically isolated serial ports for RS422 communications and fiber for our network connection, etc.
I understand the debate regarding some people who say "I have been working on electronics for 20 years and have never seen or damaged a component due to noise or a static discharge." I am not interested in that debate. What I am interested in is do people take any precautions while troubleshooting to alleviate a potential issue due to a static discharge? If so, what are those precautions?

Thanks Again

Edit 2:
I have many hashboards which have required repair which has obviously cost me a great deal as two of the units I purchased used and 4 of the hashboards were from those two units. One being a 550 and the other being a 600, but both from the same time frame. I am hoping to hear positive words from people who have made more recent purchases.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
tntdgcr

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Mining Hosting

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2016, 01:16:24 AM

I took pictures of the one I troubleshot yesterday. I will try to get them up in a post with a step by step for others. I know you guys know how to troubleshoot to a hash board, using ther LED, etc but it sure might make life easier for others just getting into a situation to have a 1,2,3 approach.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the time? Please give me your thoughts before I go to all the trouble of cleaning up all the pictures I took.

Something along the lines of:
A. When viewing the miner from the back we will call the hash boards from right to left board 1, 2, 3. (back meaning facing the exhaust fan)

B. When viewing the miner from the back we will call the connectors on the Bitmain I/O board from right to left J1, J2, J3, and so on. (back still means facing the exhaust fan.)

C. If you see channels 2 and 4 functioning in the miner user interface (in my case) hash board 1 was the one at fault. Hash board 1 was connected to J1 on the IO board.

I can state these things now because I took the time to disconnect power from each hash board, repower the unit, and note which channel shows activity. To further troubleshoot all possible scenarios I also connected the power and cable going to the IO board from a hashboard which was functioning correctly.
So using a different cable, a different connection point on the IO board where a known good hashboard ran, and the PCIe power connections from a known functioning hash board and I have a board which still never shows up in the GUI.

Once I am this far I remove the board from the unit and take it to the bench for further testing, some of which must be under power so be prepared for such to move on. I use many steps from the posts I quoted in my last post in this thread above. I am not going to put those in a hash board step by step at this point as there are too many variables and I feel if someone has the ability to troubleshoot at that level we have a different discussion.

What concerns me is (as you guys have mentioned) the hash board which fails doesn't show (or not show) as a consistent chain in the GUI. This may be why I was unable to simply be sure if the hash board is connected to J1, then it is always the board on the right. (When facing the exhaust fan) It sounds like you guys are saying it is indeed not always the same channel which appears and therefore just because it is connected to J1 it may not be the board on the right.

Please confirm I understand, and also I appreciate your and others input on if you think this is useful along with your experience on which hash board fails versus which channel was "missing" in the GUI.

I know we do not hear people talk when everything is running great but that is another point I think many people would enjoy hearing. Regarding the last three S9 batches, or lets say any purchases within the last 3 months, has anyone had any failures?

If people could share their personal experience it would be a great help. Say, I purchased 4 miners and I had one board failure, or I purchased 14 miners and had zero failures.

For people with several or zero failures are you performing any regular maintenance, how are your miners setup, what are your ambient and operating temperatures, what type of power supply are you using and any other details you would be willing to share.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks  

Edit 1:
PS
I deal with ESD scenarios quite a bit in my day job. The equipment I work with creates a great deal of high frequency noise in normal use and we must use components which are isolated against such and determine ways to further isolate the equipment - particularly PC components. For example we use optically isolated serial ports for RS422 communications and fiber for our network connection, etc.
I understand the debate regarding some people who say "I have been working on electronics for 20 years and have never seen or damaged a component due to noise or a static discharge." I am not interested in that debate. What I am interested in is do people take any precautions while troubleshooting to alleviate a potential issue due to a static discharge? If so, what are those precautions?

Thanks Again

Edit 2:
I have many hashboards which have required repair which has obviously cost me a great deal as two of the units I purchased used and 4 of the hashboards were from those two units. One being a 550 and the other being a 600, but both from the same time frame. I am hoping to hear positive words from people who have made more recent purchases.

the S9 has progressively gotten better batch by batch. We usually get at least one large set per batch , and the last couple of batches have been nearly flawless ( couple machines needed one random reboot for false dead board report ). compare that to the earlier hardware , and it's way better. CO repair costs are fair, and it's usually 5-8 Biz Day turn around max.

OregonMines is expanding. Are you expanding with us?
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 01:52:33 AM

Thanks for your feedback. I like to hear this positive news.
I hope others follow your lead and chime in as well.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 02:45:48 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2016, 06:02:13 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Running 10 s9's (along with 15 s7's) here, from batch 1 to batch 23, only 2 board failures to date: 1 from my batch 1 and 1 board from a batch 17. Both sent to BitmainWarranty in CO - yes even the one from batch 17 which was still well under the 90-day. Just faster, no customs issues,  and cheaper shipping inc being fully insured for full $450 value.

All run in a clean industrial environment, most in 2nd floor parts storage area - gets up to 90F in the summer.
PSU's are mostly Bitmains 1600w which also run the bulk of my s7's along with a few IBM 2kw PSU's using Sidehackhacks breakout.

I agree with your ID layout. After all, the boards slide in/out of the exhaust end of the case so makes sense to use that as the reference end. Looking at it and moving left-to-right we have boards 1-2-3.

Controller socket numbering OTH... They are all over the map from batch to batch. Think my B1 has 5 sockets on it and uses every-other-one....

Definitely agree on ESD: ALWAYS either ground yourself before touching/handling a hashboard or better yet ware an ESD grounding wrist strap.

If you do do repairs on the boards or at least some trouble shooting, it would be nice to know what the failures are. So far Bitmain and BitmainWarranty just give excuses why the repairs are not fully documented and why they can't tell us what failed. Given the low cost of the (2) repairs I've had done so far I'm thinking it may be PIC data getting munged and just needing to be reprogramed or if an actual physical part, something in the Vcore reg or perhaps a node-bypass cap.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
wolfen

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 02:38:46 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2016, 07:01:54 PM by wolfen

Looks like one s9 board (11.85th) went up to 140C and the software shut down the miner  but the api was still alive.
Did it about a month ago also. Same miner.
Rebooted from gui  and A/OK
Have to monitor these babies.

HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2016, 02:45:22 PM

Looks like one s9 board (11.85th) went up to 140C and the software shut down the miner  but the api was still alive.
Rebooted and A/OK
Oh no, maybe one or few of the heat sinks have come off?  Undecided

wolfen

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 02:47:45 PM

Looks like one s9 board (11.85th) went up to 140C and the software shut down the miner  but the api was still alive.
Rebooted and A/OK
Oh no, maybe one or few of the heat sinks have come off?  Undecided
Looks like it is ok, must just be a fluke in this miner that occurs every month.
My point was the software shut it down, very pleased with that.
Never had a heatsink pop off (fingers crossed)

fvineyard

Activity: 135
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 04:13:44 PM

That is good to know. Curious to know were the fans shut down also or still spinning?
wolfen

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 07:00:54 PM

It's at the datacenter down the street.
I imagine they were probably idling.
It just shutdown the hashing, high power usage.
I could still get to the gui to reboot, didn't have to login to linux to reboot.

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3995

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 07:41:29 PM

Anybody knows if S9 still have the "no internet" bug that plagued S7?
I am asking because at least earlier S9 could be set on manual fan that prevented "no internet" damage in S7.
fvineyard

Activity: 135
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 08:53:07 PM

I have a batch 13 S9 and have lost internet access two times over the past few months with no issues and no sign of the bug that caused previous models to overheat.

Still running the original July 2016 firmware that it came with.
Liquid71

Activity: 835
Merit: 1000

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 08:58:58 PM

since these are never in stock, where else is it safe to buy (besides marked up ebay/amazon)  Huh

gt_addict

Activity: 2520
Merit: 622

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 09:01:36 PM

According to my shift graph on the pool mine must have lost connection a couple of times and she's still running.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
wolfen

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 10:33:51 PM

since these are never in stock, where else is it safe to buy (besides marked up ebay/amazon)  Huh
Just shut down another auction TODAY on ebay from the same guy that has a stack of hacked accounts selling s9 for $1500.
Wants bitcoin payments.
About 7 buyers got in before I shut it down. Over $10000 of bitcoin if they paid.
EVERY WEEKEND since August. Scammer is making piles of money.
You think 1000 positive feedback is safe? Many hacked dormant accounts with 1000 positive feedback.
They even rolled on a non dormant account. I tried to log on as the hacked account's owner and sent a pile of emails, texts, and robocalls to myself trying to reset the
password. Seems to get the attention of the owner.
Also I would detect the crook and commit to buy the damn thing without paying. Then turn around and leave negative feedback
stating SCAM, HACKED ACCOUNT
I can't tell you how many asses I have saved.

fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 02:02:47 AM

ebay is now and has been for a while, a big pile of garbage.  Since they change top management anyways.  funny how its actually safer and better to order off aliexpress/alibaba than from ebay...
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 03:08:58 AM

ebay is now and has been for a while, a big pile of garbage.  Since they change top management anyways.  funny how its actually safer and better to order off aliexpress/alibaba than from ebay...

Totally agree with this although not sure about alibaba.  But aliexpress uses an escrow system where the seller doesn't get paid until you confirm delivery so that's probably why it isn't filled with scammers.  Ebay is a pirates den for buyers and sellers now days it seems.  I quit using it altogether a while ago.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2016, 10:13:11 AM

By the way, is it just me or is Bitmain website very broken at the moment?  Huh

wolfen

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 11:42:44 AM

Nice that they have finally slowed down on the firmware fixes. Sometimes it is tricky to get things just right with software.

Pages: « 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 352 »
  Print  

Jump to: