Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:13:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Hashrate RX 470  (Read 134981 times)
niko2004x

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 12:28:47 AM

I downloaded the Trixx Sapphire app and tried it and it does not appear to give us any control over the 470 cards other than the power limit which we have under Wattman so no help at all from what I can see. It will let you slide the controls and looks like it is doing something, but you go to the hardware monitor and you will see the gpu and memory are still at stock settings.  Only the power limit made any real change in the output of the hardware monitor page.   So far Trixx is useless, we had this much control in Wattman.

Sad to read it. However what ever a software says, I think it's better to check with a watt-meter at the wall... it's always more accurate in my opinion.

I was hoping we would get control over gpu core and memory speeds.  It does look like the undervolt setting does something in Trixx, but appears to be the extent of it so far.  Not the kind of control I was hoping for.

A card without gpu voltage control (without bios flash or mod) is a clear no buy for me. I would even more like to be able to tweak memory voltage to get the most of the chips... be it in efficiency or raw power...

Easy in Linux. They have a sysfs entry that lets you control all of it through the PowerPlay table.

Here's a screen of a tool I wrote to do so (NSFW): https://ottrbutt.com/tmp/wolfamdctrl-priv.png

Needs more work and options, though.

Does it work?
I tried to change vddci and mvdd to values below 1000 (by setting new pp_table) and
according power meter and temperature measurements nothing happened.

You won't see those two as changing for two possible reasons - one, MVDD and VDDCI are small beans compared to core voltage, and two, you have to be running at least 4.8rc2 for it to apply.

Yes, running 4.8rc2.
The main reason I suspect it does not work is setting mvdd to <800 for 2200MHz memory does not result in crash.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niko2004x

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 01:18:27 AM

I downloaded the Trixx Sapphire app and tried it and it does not appear to give us any control over the 470 cards other than the power limit which we have under Wattman so no help at all from what I can see. It will let you slide the controls and looks like it is doing something, but you go to the hardware monitor and you will see the gpu and memory are still at stock settings.  Only the power limit made any real change in the output of the hardware monitor page.   So far Trixx is useless, we had this much control in Wattman.

Sad to read it. However what ever a software says, I think it's better to check with a watt-meter at the wall... it's always more accurate in my opinion.

I was hoping we would get control over gpu core and memory speeds.  It does look like the undervolt setting does something in Trixx, but appears to be the extent of it so far.  Not the kind of control I was hoping for.

A card without gpu voltage control (without bios flash or mod) is a clear no buy for me. I would even more like to be able to tweak memory voltage to get the most of the chips... be it in efficiency or raw power...

Easy in Linux. They have a sysfs entry that lets you control all of it through the PowerPlay table.

Here's a screen of a tool I wrote to do so (NSFW): https://ottrbutt.com/tmp/wolfamdctrl-priv.png

Needs more work and options, though.

Does it work?
I tried to change vddci and mvdd to values below 1000 (by setting new pp_table) and
according power meter and temperature measurements nothing happened.

You won't see those two as changing for two possible reasons - one, MVDD and VDDCI are small beans compared to core voltage, and two, you have to be running at least 4.8rc2 for it to apply.

Yes, running 4.8rc2.
The main reason I suspect it does not work is setting mvdd to <800 for 2200MHz memory does not result in crash.

Pretty sure it won't allow going THAT low - I raised MVDD and it seemed to make a high memclk more stable. I know for a fact the clock changing and DPM changes work, as I've observed them through heat and hashrate.

Yes, clock changing does work.
As for mvdd, tested by setting (through pp_table) values from 800 to 1000 step 10.
No visible changes at all except pp_table (read it back to check if it was changed; it was as expected).
Grim

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 04:47:42 PM

afaik the rated voltage for eg. samsung memory at 2000mhz is 1.35 volt.

Older gddr5 chips were normally 1.5 or even 1.6 volt.

So setting it to 800mv without crashing is a sure sign it doesn't work.

Which is a pitty because most performance could probably be squeezed by upping mvdd. (not vddci)
Eliovp
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293

Huh?

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2016, 09:47:32 PM

Which is a pitty because most performance could probably be squeezed by upping mvdd. (not vddci)

Yeah, I tested myself and I do believe you're correct. It does seem to work on Fiji, IIRC, but probably because HBM.

Mentioned this a few times already, but i'll do it again Wink

Fiji and Those Lightning cards are the only ones capable of directly modifying the memory voltage (MVDDC or how it has been referred here "MVDD").

For every other card out there (i could have missed one or two) you can only raise or reduce the voltage given to the controller (VDDCI/AUX).
This isn't even stock, to be able to do this, you'll need to add the needed offsets in the rom, therefor also needing to remove extra whitespace in the rom to get the exact same size again. Not only that, the tables in the rom have to be modified as well. i2cdump ...

So basically, at this point, by opening polariseditor or wattman or whatever, and changing the voltage value next to the memory is not going to apply directly to the memory, but to the controller, so basically, giving that controller extra voltage does not affect your memory directly as that memory isn't getting extra voltage.

Wink

niko2004x

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 10:21:06 PM

Yeah, I tested myself and I do believe you're correct. It does seem to work on Fiji, IIRC, but probably because HBM.

Fiji and Those Lightning cards are the only ones capable of directly modifying the memory voltage (MVDDC or how it has been referred here "MVDD").

For every other card out there (i could have missed one or two) you can only raise or reduce the voltage given to the controller (VDDCI/AUX).
This isn't even stock, to be able to do this, you'll need to add the needed offsets in the rom, therefor also needing to remove extra whitespace in the rom to get the exact same size again. Not only that, the tables in the rom have to be modified as well. i2cdump ...

So basically, at this point, by opening polariseditor or wattman or whatever, and changing the voltage value next to the memory is not going to apply directly to the memory, but to the controller, so basically, giving that controller extra voltage does not affect your memory directly as that memory isn't getting extra voltage.

Wink

Could we just change vddci in Linux using pp_table?
After parsing it seems vddci is there:
Container:
    ucRevId = 0
    ucNumEntries = 2
    ATOM_MCLK_ENTRY = [
        Container:
            ucVddcInd = 0
            usVddci = 850
            usVddgfxOffset = 0
            usMvdd = 1000
            ulMclk = 30000
            usReserved = 0
        Container:
            ucVddcInd = 15
            usVddci = 950
            usVddgfxOffset = 0
            usMvdd = 1000
            ulMclk = 220000
            usReserved = 0
    ]
niko2004x

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 11:55:39 PM

Wink

Could we just change vddci in Linux using pp_table?
After parsing it seems vddci is there:
Container:
    ucRevId = 0
    ucNumEntries = 2
    ATOM_MCLK_ENTRY = [
        Container:
            ucVddcInd = 0
            usVddci = 850
            usVddgfxOffset = 0
            usMvdd = 1000
            ulMclk = 30000
            usReserved = 0
        Container:
            ucVddcInd = 15
            usVddci = 950
            usVddgfxOffset = 0
            usMvdd = 1000
            ulMclk = 220000
            usReserved = 0
    ]

This is only for the controller, and other shit (AUX voltage.)

Tested setting values for vddci other than 950 for mclk 2200MHz.
Immediate crash.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:49:41 PM

hey guys, so i've got 2 470s, nitros with the dual bios switch, I've been playing around to modify myself in polaris editor, timings, etc (win7).  but for some god-forsaken reason I cant get the system to run the card with the modified bios.  I've changed to ati system file to the modified one that was posted in safe mode, boot with option 7 no sig check, flashed the bios, used the tool to enable test mode and sign the system files, etc.  im kinda stumped, can anybody offer some IT support lol
anatolikostis
Legendary

Activity: 2026
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:10:04 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 10:04:03 AM by anatolikostis

rx470 MSI 4Gb @jet @29mh/s

peg-slot @5A  Shocked
GDDR5 voltage is 1500mV
z0n0
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:19:21 AM

470 @jet @29mh/s

Which card version is that?
Grim

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Another strange behaviour I noticed with a 470 Nitro 8GB:

(I assume this is a driver problem.) 16.7.3

If you set the cards above 2000 memory clock, or rather 2050 it seems,
the cards actually slow down due to some power limit?

eg. setting 2200 memory clock starts hashing fine but after a few seconds the cards slow down to approx. 85 Watt core voltage. Upping the tdp in bios and setting powerlimit to +50 doesn't help at all.

Is there a atikmdag.sys for the newest 16.8.2 driver?
niko2004x

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 09:23:04 AM

eg. setting 2200 memory clock starts hashing fine but after a few seconds the cards slow down to approx. 85 Watt core voltage. Upping the tdp in bios and setting powerlimit to +50 doesn't help at all.

Noticed something similar in Linux (for Saphire RX470 Nitro 8GB, 11256-02-20G).
Starting from around 65 degrees of core hashrate starts to gradually fall
and at 70+ degrees of core hashrate loses ~0.3 Mh/s.

However voltages and clocks does not change.
zorvalth

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 10:53:21 AM

Can somebody give me the stock bios of RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB ?
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 02:49:09 PM

Getting 25.5 on 470nitro4g and 28.2 on 470nitro8g.  Just changed the timings, thats it.  Pretty happy !  Now to tweak the power usage...not today that shit takes time.
Going to get 2 msi (one 4g and one 8g) in the mail soon, going to check that out also.  So far though, I think just getting the 4g is a better choice since its quite a bit cheaper.

IF WINDOWS DOESNT DETECT YOUR CARDS -
1-normal mode - flash your cards
2-boot safe mode, replace ati sys file with THE PROPER MODIFIED ONE FOR THE DRIVERS YOU ARE RUNNING (forget where i downloaded that lol, check ethereum forums)
3-device manager - disable all graphics cards - then sign the modified ati sys file with the tool
4-boot normal mode
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 04:02:32 PM

little update, the nitro8g goes up to 29 easy...but for some reason it throttles down the core clock, 28.2 is stable.
4gnitro steady at 25.6
and msi 8g with timings changed no further tweaking steady at 24.5...im sure it could go a bit higher.
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 07:14:34 PM

Like fr4nkthetank said it's because of the memory timing that trim once a certain frequency is reached... making the ram slower even if has a higher frequency. So you have to mod the bios to keep the same timing as with lower frequency... of course it may be unstable Sad.

rx470 MSI 4Gb @jet @29mh/s

peg-slot @5A  Shocked
GDDR5 voltage is 1500mV

WoW ! nice.

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 07:58:31 PM

I'm just here patiently waiting for msi afterburner to have an update that supports the 470...As Wattman looks cool, its usability so far is far from cool.  multiple crashes, glitches,etc.  Amd drivers sometimes...ah well.  For example two of my cards show 0 core clock, but hash perfect...I just cant tweat it, wattman shows N/A everywhere and its all greyed out.
Grim

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:20:57 PM

Like fr4nkthetank said it's because of the memory timing that trim once a certain frequency is reached... making the ram slower even if has a higher frequency. So you have to mod the bios to keep the same timing as with lower frequency... of course it may be unstable Sad.

nope, I assumed everyone and you know about memory straps ... and there are no further straps past 2000 mhz so faster clock above 2000 will always result in faster memory, no matter what strap you set. (as long as its stable of course ...)

What frank said is actually interesting because this is all about the memory oc yet the CORE wattage gets suddenly limited, in my case to exactly 85 watt (shown in gpuz). And therefore performance goes way down from up to 29.2 to even below 20 mhash/s. The ONLY thing changed was 2250 mhz memclock instead of 2000.

Actually I assume a driver issue however I haven't found the mod for 16.8.2 for atikmdag.sys yet.
So I am stuck with 16.7.3 (yeh I know winblow)

It also seems to be a 470 Nitro 8GB issue. Haven't heard/seen about another card with the same issue.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:45:54 PM

the mod for the latest drivers exists, LogicalUser on eth forums posted this:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/x2h57df0ajae4dk/AMD_Patched.rar
Dont thank me, thank him.

fr4nkthetank
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 10:02:09 PM

Ok another update, last one probably.  Trixx seems to be the best bet, works, can adjust voltages, etc, no need to ddu the drivers and take out wattman.  My nitro 4g at -96mv looks stable (well see tomorrow), hashing at 26.4 !  pretty nice.  8g is at -75mv about, and the msi 8g is at -100mv too.  I couldnt change the core clocks as per prior messages and mem clocks are oc, 1850, 2100 and 1775.
getting 79.1 eth and 1385 dcr (my rigs dont like sia coin for some reason and I dont care to troubleshoot it).  And I'm done, ill see if its stable and hopefully my wattman recurring nightmares will go away.
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 10:12:03 PM

Ok another update, last one probably.  Trixx seems to be the best bet, works, can adjust voltages, etc, no need to ddu the drivers and take out wattman.  My nitro 4g at -96mv looks stable (well see tomorrow), hashing at 26.4 !  pretty nice.  8g is at -75mv about, and the msi 8g is at -100mv too.  I couldnt change the core clocks as per prior messages and mem clocks are oc, 1850, 2100 and 1775.
getting 79.1 eth and 1385 dcr (my rigs dont like sia coin for some reason and I dont care to troubleshoot it).  And I'm done, ill see if its stable and hopefully my wattman recurring nightmares will go away.

The problem with the Trixx settings for the undervolt is they don't stick, even if you save settings.  So you end up having to manually mess with them every time the box is restarted.  At least I couldn't figure out to get it to stick. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: