Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:26:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Hashrate RX 470  (Read 134982 times)
mewhoyou

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 02:48:33 PM

photo storage

How Low Can You Go??? HAhahahahahahahaha and this is from DUAL MINING!!!!

DAMN THAT'S VERY LOW POWER DRAW.
can you share your rom ?
currectly im running rx 470 4gb at 28mhs+300mhs sia coin, i have polor and saphire too.

I dont remember my setting much ... will look it up on my logs and get back to you ... i had it running 390watt for 4 cards + mobo off the wall. Funny thing is that I am living in the tropics and weather are at constant 31 - 33 C at day time with mid humidity and this rig was not hot in anyway even its not in any AC enviroment.

Ethereum the Next Big Thing?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Charloz24

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 04:02:31 PM

photo storage

How Low Can You Go??? HAhahahahahahahaha and this is from DUAL MINING!!!!

DAMN THAT'S VERY LOW POWER DRAW.
can you share your rom ?
currectly im running rx 470 4gb at 28mhs+300mhs sia coin, i have polor and saphire too.

I dont remember my setting much ... will look it up on my logs and get back to you ... i had it running 390watt for 4 cards + mobo off the wall. Funny thing is that I am living in the tropics and weather are at constant 31 - 33 C at day time with mid humidity and this rig was not hot in anyway even its not in any AC enviroment.

How about a pic showing more than 2 mins running time....
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 04:38:02 PM

He could have lucked out and one out of the 4 cards is stable at 0.9V/1095Mhz.  Most cards won't do that.  Even 1.0V at that frequency is probably around a 50/50 chance.
rednoW
Legendary

Activity: 1510
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

He could have lucked out and one out of the 4 cards is stable at 0.9V/1095Mhz.  Most cards won't do that.  Even 1.0V at that frequency is probably around a 50/50 chance.

I have no much experience but both of my cards can do 1100@0.9v. Moreover my dragon 480 can do 1200@0.91 with low asic 60+. Sapphire ref 470 requires 0.92 to run at 1150. And for your words about Asus - this sapphire is dirt cheap and has nice vrm cooling.
nerdralph

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 07:33:32 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2016, 08:09:24 PM by nerdralph

He could have lucked out and one out of the 4 cards is stable at 0.9V/1095Mhz.  Most cards won't do that.  Even 1.0V at that frequency is probably around a 50/50 chance.

I have no much experience but both of my cards can do 1100@0.9v. Moreover my dragon 480 can do 1200@0.91 with low asic 60+. Sapphire ref 470 requires 0.92 to run at 1150. And for your words about Asus - this sapphire is dirt cheap and has nice vrm cooling.

I just noticed the mem clock in the screen shot is 1900, while I've been using 1950.
@rednoW, what is the mem clock you are using when you are running 1100@0.9v?

Edit: I've dropped my memory clock to 1750 to do some baseline testing, and 1070core at -81mv (GPU tweak's max) seems completely stable.
I initially though all the polaris chips could handle 2Ghz memory easily, but now I'm thinking the 470s may be binned not just for bad compute units, but also for memory interface speed. I also noticed I was getting a lot of GPU memory errors at 1950, vs almost none at 1900.  If I could find a utility that can control the Digi+ VRM, then I could try over-volting the memory.  In the mean time I may try boosting VDDCI.
rednoW
Legendary

Activity: 1510
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 09:31:48 PM

Memory speed capability mostly determined not by gpu itself but the memory chips installed and its cooling. Asus afaik has no mem cooling so this combination - slow hynix plus bad design yields low stable mem speeds. I run 1950mem with 1375 strap on sapphire ref-like rx470 without mem errors in hwinfo64.
nerdralph

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 11:33:22 PM

Memory speed capability mostly determined not by gpu itself but the memory chips installed and its cooling. Asus afaik has no mem cooling so this combination - slow hynix plus bad design yields low stable mem speeds. I run 1950mem with 1375 strap on sapphire ref-like rx470 without mem errors in hwinfo64.

I was a bit skeptical, since I've worked with lots of servers before and the RAM would only get warm to the touch.  However, I rely on data rather than my ego to determine what is correct, so I got out my IR thermometer and was surpised to find spots on the back of the card as hot as 98C.  I bumped the fan to manual 60%, and that brought the hot spots down to the 80s.  I then got out my infrared camera, and I could actually see the rectangular hot spots from the RAM on the other side of the board.  The worst is above the GPU where the aluminum heatsink blocks any airflow over 3 of the DDR chips.
With a small rectangular piece of aluminum plate and a thermal pad I could probably make a thermal bridge from the RAM to the heatsink to cool them down...
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 11:59:38 PM

the VRM's get really hot on aftermarket cards...I'd say 60% minimum fan is good.  on watt tool you can see the vrm temps. 
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 01:18:28 AM
Last edit: October 05, 2016, 01:32:31 AM by kilo17

I was a bit skeptical, since I've worked with lots of servers before and the RAM would only get warm to the touch.  However, I rely on data rather than my ego to determine what is correct, so I got out my IR thermometer and was surpised to find spots on the back of the card as hot as 98C.  I bumped the fan to manual 60%, and that brought the hot spots down to the 80s.  I then got out my infrared camera, and I could actually see the rectangular hot spots from the RAM on the other side of the board.  The worst is above the GPU where the aluminum heatsink blocks any airflow over 3 of the DDR chips.
With a small rectangular piece of aluminum plate and a thermal pad I could probably make a thermal bridge from the RAM to the heatsink to cool them down...

A topic that I know lots about  Wink - Measuring the chip itself (Tcase) or the back of the board really is not relevant at all.  GDDR5 is low voltage and it would be unlikely that the temp will have any affect at slightly overclocked speeds (Particluarly on Reference Cards as Wolf has pointed out). The outside of a Ram Package and the Board are suppose to be hot to dissipate the heat.  If the cooler is modded and/or the thermal pads are missing then that may be different but even then I would say that at the speeds used in mining that it is rare to overheat ram.

Having said that I must say that it is a different ballgame for cards with no cooling mounted to the chips at all but even the low profile ramsinks will work wonders.  If the card has no Ramsinks and isn't attached to the cooler it is a shitty card.

The VRM's and the chip itself are where cooling makes a huge difference and if the card has shitty VRM's then it might as well be a shitty card even with a pretty fan and cool temps.

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
nerdralph

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 02:44:53 AM

I was a bit skeptical, since I've worked with lots of servers before and the RAM would only get warm to the touch.  However, I rely on data rather than my ego to determine what is correct, so I got out my IR thermometer and was surpised to find spots on the back of the card as hot as 98C.  I bumped the fan to manual 60%, and that brought the hot spots down to the 80s.  I then got out my infrared camera, and I could actually see the rectangular hot spots from the RAM on the other side of the board.  The worst is above the GPU where the aluminum heatsink blocks any airflow over 3 of the DDR chips.

See my post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1615394.msg16247718#msg16247718

Actually I remember seeing that when you posted it.  But nobody actually gave any concrete info on the effect of DRAM cooling.  Had I known that they can get over 95C without heatsinks, I would've paid more attention to that when buying a card.  With the back of the board in the high 90's, the DRAM die likely was over 110C, or 25C over the maximum operating temperature for most Hynix RAM (85C).
https://www.skhynix.com/static/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=267

Since power scales exponentially with voltage (close to V^2), if I can undervolt the memory a bit, I might be able to keep it cool enough to actually overclock it a bit more.  I'm sure the Digi+ VRM can be controlled through I2C, but I don't want to dig up a data sheet or reverse engineer the register set in order to do it...
kilo17
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 02:59:40 AM

See my post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1615394.msg16247718#msg16247718

Actually I remember seeing that when you posted it.  But nobody actually gave any concrete info on the effect of DRAM cooling.  Had I known that they can get over 95C without heatsinks, I would've paid more attention to that when buying a card.  With the back of the board in the high 90's, the DRAM die likely was over 110C, or 25C over the maximum operating temperature for most Hynix RAM (85C).
https://www.skhynix.com/static/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=267

Since power scales exponentially with voltage (close to V^2), if I can undervolt the memory a bit, I might be able to keep it cool enough to actually overclock it a bit more.  I'm sure the Digi+ VRM can be controlled through I2C, but I don't want to dig up a data sheet or reverse engineer the register set in order to do it...

Or put some low-profile Enzo Tech Ramsinks on it and call it a day

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
AriesIV10
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006

Mine for a Bit

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2016, 03:53:10 AM

I have 6 MSI RX 470s and 5 would hash at 20mh and 1 would hash at 4mh.  I did not know what this was or how to fix it no matter what I did so, I returned the Gigabyte Motherboard and got a MSI motherboard.  I am Still having the same issue.   If I remove 1 470, then 4 would hash at 20mh and 1 would hash at 4mh.  What am I missing?

BTC Address (Donations):  3LepZAju88ZRuNVD4cS6Xv5hKyKrjvirkB     Website:  www.MintMining.com
Email: Mining@MintMining.com      Power Supplies: https://bit.ly/2TtvdOR
kilo17
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 03:56:11 AM

It seems people are wanting to reinvent the wheel on this thread.  GDDR5 temps have a rating of 85-95 degrees from the manufacturer depending on the brand.  A few things to consider:

1 - VRAM temps have been accepted in the 80-100 degree range for many years and there have been few to no significant failures

2 - Alot of GPU PCB's reach well above 100 degrees normally

3 - Tcase measurements are typically 15% below Core temps but most manufacturers use the Tcase temp

4 - (Probably the most important) - Tcase temps are determined by the timings of the RAM by an algorithm and therefore if they are modified the Tcase is also modified.  The temps of Tcase reported are for the timings given and nothing else.  One of the manufacturers has released their formula to calculate the acceptable Tcase from timings. (Cannot remember which it was)

So if ALL of the GPU manufacturers are wrong and a couple of people on here are correct then we are going to see a butt load  of burned up RAM on GPU's because they frequently shipped with a higher Tcase then the manufacturer specifies OR maybe the Tcase is related to the timings  Grin

Bakery

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 08:05:24 AM

I have 6 MSI RX 470s and 5 would hash at 20mh and 1 would hash at 4mh.  I did not know what this was or how to fix it no matter what I did so, I returned the Gigabyte Motherboard and got a MSI motherboard.  I am Still having the same issue.   If I remove 1 470, then 4 would hash at 20mh and 1 would hash at 4mh.  What am I missing?

Try switching the cards in slots. I ran 1 470 with 22, then added another with riser, that one did 4mh, but when i switched slot, it did fine @ 22mh. I read on some topic that for some people switching the cards did the job.
marvykkio

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 10:32:16 AM
Last edit: October 05, 2016, 10:47:09 AM by marvykkio

guys give me the exact link to download the rom for 470 rx nitro 8gb?
because I have already ruined a bios video card, and I would not want to spoil the last one left.

After I show you what I did to change mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMLkjy3ESG8&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z13yd1cxuubcivi4r04cdzyx1oudybxzrko0k

this is the guide that I followed,
4 minutes from the mod starts, changing values with polaris editor

remember my gpu  sapphire rx 470 8 gb nitro + oc
marvykkio

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 10:49:22 AM

because I have already ruined a bios video card, and I would not want to spoil the last one left.

You can fix it by flashing stock back to it. Even if I wanted to, I CAN'T give you a VBIOS guaranteed to work with it unless I had the stock one.

I tried it again flashing the original ROM, but if I put only the GPU remains black screen
marvykkio

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 11:06:50 AM

You can fix it by flashing stock back to it. Even if I wanted to, I CAN'T give you a VBIOS guaranteed to work with it unless I had the stock one.

I tried it again flashing the original ROM, but if I put only the GPU remains black screen

Does it hash as a secondary GPU?

no no, the gpu rx 470 nitro, with 2 fans, has 2 bios, you know you have a small lever,
1 of these bios does not go, the screen remains black,
marvykkio

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 11:14:44 AM

I found this procedure to be a user of this forum, tomorrow or Friday that I am free to try, let's see if I can recover the corrupt bios

switch to working bios. boot in windows. flip the switch on the video card back to non working bios. flash backup rom with atiflash.

marvykkio

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 11:17:18 AM

Does it hash as a secondary GPU?

no no, the gpu rx 470 nitro, with 2 fans, has 2 bios, you know you have a small lever,
1 of these bios does not go, the screen remains black,

Here's what you do. Flip it to the working one. Boot Windows. WHILE RUNNING, flip the switch to the broken VBIOS. Flash stock to it. All fixed.

thanks a lot wolf0, so I will, go because you have already been 2 users to tell me the same thing, so now I'm much calmer, I just have to find a reliable rom for my 470 8gb no ref, and even 480 ref 8gb
Bakery

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 05:41:08 PM

Does anyone know what memory manufacturer MSI cards have?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: