Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:54:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 94 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon batch [2] countdown!  (Read 141505 times)
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:16:14 PM

prepare yourself for another delay, just a feeling.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:28:47 PM

I don't think so. If they delay it another time, that's another ~100btc lost for each avalon for each customer.
I'm quite sure that they are doing all what's possible not to delay it another time.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:14:11 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 12:27:31 AM by el_rlee

I don't think so. If they delay it another time, that's another ~100btc lost for each avalon for each customer.

So what you're gonna do about it?
Anyways I hope you're tight and I am wrong.

I think they outsourced batch 1 production and are going to do batch 2 themselves. Starting up a new production line takes time and there is simply no reason why they shouldn't take that time. It was said there will be a newsletter regarding trade-ins a week before batch 2 ships, I didn't get that yet.
Bitcoin ASIC business is pretty much a seller's market, so shut up and queue in line.

Still I think team Avalon is by far the most honest and trustworthy team selling ASIC's out there. If I can mine the BTC back I invested within a reasonable time I'm already happy.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:34:45 AM

I think that they already started producing batch 2, and that they will simply start to ship them on the 15th. Maybe i'm dreaming, but since that they initially announced to finish shipping by the 5th of april, what happened that stopped them in this hard way? They claimed that the problem was shipping, not producing. Their new fab will allow them to produce 2x the current avalon per week, not 10x. So not that big deal. Have they stopped producing the units in the last month? Because i remember that i gave them money before the CNY just to be in time so that they could have bought resistors & capacitors for batch 2.
My guess is that they are mining with a part of this batch 2, and i'm ok with that, as long as they ship on time to let us do a good profit. Good profit = 2x invested BTC. If they don't "start shipping the majority of batch 2 on the 15th", we will most probably have a loss BTC-side. God knows how hungry will the batch 3 customers be.

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:37:05 AM

I'm quite sure that they are doing all what's possible not to delay it another time.

Sometimes, something will be out of someone's control.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:41:58 AM

Sometimes, something will be out of someone's control.
You seem quite calm for someone that invested 4000BTC on batch 3.
Do you know something about ASICMINER, helveticminer and BFL that we don't? Smiley

sunblaster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:46:45 AM

Avalon's only competition for next 6 moth it's Avalon itself, there is really not much else to know.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:51:53 AM

Avalon's only competition for next 6 moth it's Avalon itself, there is really not much else to know.
No, asicminer is serious. They will deploy on an industrial scale killing "retail" customers.
BFL *might* have a working heater-miner (i personally don't believe them yet).
Helveticminer might also be serious, maybe we will start to see them in a few months. Certainly less than 6.

Also, with the mining economy being now worth 200M$/year, we are gonna see some real competitors. Intel/AMD/ARM? Why not?

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 01:13:32 PM

No, asicminer is serious. They will deploy on an industrial scale killing "retail" customers.
BFL *might* have a working heater-miner (i personally don't believe them yet).
Helveticminer might also be serious, maybe we will start to see them in a few months. Certainly less than 6.

Also, with the mining economy being now worth 200M$/year, we are gonna see some real competitors. Intel/AMD/ARM? Why not?

That would suck. Mining centralization is not a good thing at all.

cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:16:37 PM

I don't like it either, but it's the only possible future.

Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:57:24 PM

So, are you saying that the future is everyone investing in giant mining corporations and receiving dividends, while miners that prefer owning their hashing power physically will be pushed out of the game? Or are you just saying that miners will face larger and larger barriers of entry and for the small guy the only viable entry option will be investment in a large corp?
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:13:42 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale

Back on topic...?

Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:24:39 PM

Sorry for the off-topic, and I'm fully aware of the economies of scale, I think my question was a tad misunderstood. I wanted to know if you think people owning their hashing power (be it in large or small quantities) will end at some point because hashing power for small entities won't be available or maintenance won't be economically feasible.  What if someone comes up with a small/cheap enough solution that anyone can mine in a ubiquitous and non-invasive/visible manner, spreading hashing power to lots of people and thus subverting large mining conglomerates? Would something like that work?
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:17:18 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 03:28:09 PM by cedivad

Ok, it looks like i'm monopolizing the thread... Smiley

I wanted to know if you think people owning their hashing power (be it in large or small quantities) will end at some point because hashing power for small entities won't be available or maintenance won't be economically feasible.
I think that it will be economically unfeasible because of the economies of scale Smiley The little miners will have to work at a loss, because any possible margin will be eaten from the bigger competitors. This is what asicminer will do, as soon as they can. They will probably not go as big as the network, because in that case they would kill bitcoin and make their operations useless. However it will always be more economic for bigger providers to mine themselves.
The only way we have to prevent this is to mine at a loss.

What if someone comes up with a small/cheap enough solution that anyone can mine in a ubiquitous and non-invasive/visible manner, spreading hashing power to lots of people and thus subverting large mining conglomerates? Would something like that work?
It would work, if the users of this solution would be ok with a negative roi, or not to have a roi at all.

Maybe the future will be without public pools:
-Big miners will have their own private pools
-Final users will mine at a loss and they will not care of solving a block, they will do it just to secure the network. Thereof, why should they bother with a pool?

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:27:19 PM

I don't like it either, but it's the only possible future.

Don't underestimate the power of the community in action. Big corporations are slow when facing strategic decisions - individuals supporting each other in an open source type of model are much quicker and flexible.

iammagicmike

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:17:18 PM

Well gentleman, I'm a little confused about this thread

AVALON ASIC - QCool element watercooling thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164742.0

I have tried to stay up to date in order to be ready for when my batch 2 arrives - I hope for zero delays when I turn this bad boy on, but the above thread makes me think that the Avalon's should be tweaked.  Is there any reason we would need this watercooling or is this just a hobbyist increasing his efficiency?  I can fabricate something like this in my shop at work, but it'll take a few days and a couple favors.  I want to be ready. 

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

LTC: LPGSryKuT2BaEcDBg6VWHwusXj5N8ynu3M
Bowjob (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 10:31:14 PM

Gentlemen, I am preparing for my batch two Avalon. Looking at the wiki, it seems like the instructions has gone over my head.
According to the wiki,

Connect your laptop to the eithernet port of the Avalon
    Setup your laptop IP address 192.168.0.101
    Open http://192.168.0.100
    Make sure WR703N can access Internet, Configure WiFi: Network -> WIFI -> Scan(select your WIFI network) -> Join Network -> WPA passphrase -> Submit -> Save & Apply for connect to WIFI Internet
    setup your mining worker: Status -> Cgminer Configuration.
    Restart the cgminer service: System -> Startup,
    Check your avalon status: Status -> Cgminer Status
    Setup password/using ssh

I don't have a laptop, but I suspect my desktop will suffice in laptop's place.

"Setup your laptop IP address 192.168.0.101" How would I go about doing this?

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 10:34:23 PM

Gentlemen, I am preparing for my batch two Avalon. Looking at the wiki, it seems like the instructions has gone over my head.
According to the wiki,

Make sure WR703N can access Internet, Configure WiFi: Network -> WIFI -> Scan(select your WIFI network) -> Join Network -> WPA passphrase -> Submit -> Save & Apply for connect to WIFI Internet
    Setup password/using ssh

I would recommend you to start using linux now to get used to command line stuff, cgminer, etc.

You can change your local IP on your Network settings, which normal are inside System Preferences - where exactly it depends on your SO - but just go there and I bet you'll find it in 3 minutes.

Keninishna

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 10:40:17 PM

According to the wiki,

Setup password/using ssh

lol google.
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:27:34 PM

Not Newbie Friendly - The Avalon units are designed much like a hardware development board, while it works out of the box with very little configuration it is ultimately geared towards developers and experienced miners, please do your research before purchasing. A good place to start is the Bitcoin Wiki page on Avalon.

you asking how to change an ip?
that must be a joke.
Maybe you should pay someone to set it up.

fellow miner
Let him find out such thing himself.
too lazy to google? RTFM!
Each avalon runs diminishes your own gains.

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 94 »
  Print  

Jump to: