May 17, 2024, 04:43:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 ... 33357 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26384307 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:49:20 PM

I personally think some big money is waiting in the shadows. Imagine if a couple billion moved in right now. Popularity would skyrocket, everyone would go all-in (because the initial billionaire pushed the price up to extreme highs already), pushing the price up even further, earning the billionaire who invested his money a huge ROI? Why wouldn't they do this? Prolly because the market is not liquid enough for this kind of money. Maybe the bitcoin ETF from the winklevii will allow this kind of money to move in.

Who would you even SEND a billion dollars to if you wanted to buy that much bitcoin? Gox? You'd log into your gox account and it would say 1,000,000,000? And you would click "Market order"? Not happening. Not now, probably never on gox.
ardana123

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:53:51 PM

I personally think some big money is waiting in the shadows. Imagine if a couple billion moved in right now. Popularity would skyrocket, everyone would go all-in (because the initial billionaire pushed the price up to extreme highs already), pushing the price up even further, earning the billionaire who invested his money a huge ROI? Why wouldn't they do this? Prolly because the market is not liquid enough for this kind of money. Maybe the bitcoin ETF from the winklevii will allow this kind of money to move in.

Who would you even SEND a billion dollars to if you wanted to buy that much bitcoin? Gox? You'd log into your gox account and it would say 1,000,000,000? And you would click "Market order"? Not happening. Not now, probably never on gox.

Well read my post more closely and then you'll notice i said that the market (eg mtgox) is not liquid enough for this kind of purchase. Only a professional market with tons of liquidity would allow this kind of money to move in.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:57:25 PM

Edit: Please explain how on the jump from 130-140+ I was able to buy in fully with my gbp holdings @ 85£ (131$) while the USD market was already at 136$ for a few mins?

With todays exchange rate a sell order at 85£ would show up at 132.0985 * 1,025 = 135.4009625 in the USD market.

Gox could have used an exchange rate so the order showed up above 136 USD.
barbs

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:58:28 PM

Well read my post more closely and then you'll notice i said that the market (eg mtgox) is not liquid enough for this kind of purchase. Only a professional market with tons of liquidity would allow this kind of money to move in.

Frozenlock?
barbs

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:00:29 PM

Ok so whale buys up coins from 143-148 and then puts a 1k ask wall at 147

Please explain how this is a real market based on fundamentals and not panic buyer manipulators
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1777

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:02:08 PM

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:02:57 PM

Look at the charts over the past month. A pattern is becoming obvious. Someone wants in, at any cost.

They're trying not to push the price up too much, but the moment it simmers down a bit they push it right back up just under 150 so as not to induce panic buying. Some whale is building a position as aggressively as their caution will allow. It looks like they have a whole lot more to move. We are certainly not yet past the days where one whale trying to get in can double or triple the price. In fact, a true Great White could push it much higher than that. Who can say how far this will go? It's an open-ended proposition.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:07:58 PM

Ok so whale buys up coins from 143-148 and then puts a 1k ask wall at 147

Please explain how this is a real market based on fundamentals and not panic buyer manipulators
Yes because there is certainly only one trader on this market.
strawbs
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1340

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:11:35 PM

Look at the charts over the past month. A pattern is becoming obvious. Someone wants in, at any cost.

They're trying not to push the price up too much, but the moment it simmers down a bit they push it right back up just under 150 so as not to induce panic buying. Some whale is building a position as aggressively as their caution will allow. It looks like they have a whole lot more to move. We are certainly not yet past the days where one whale trying to get in can double or triple the price. In fact, a true Great White could push it much higher than that. Who can say how far this will go? It's an open-ended proposition.

You're assuming there's just one individual making every purchase over the last month??? Roll Eyes
barbs

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:13:37 PM

You're assuming there's just one individual making every purchase over the last month??? Roll Eyes

I mean .. the big moves are one market buy.. you guys are telling me multiple traders are doing these market buys at the exact same time?

Ok.  Cool
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:19:45 PM

I meant it more funny like, can you imagine your gox account saying 1 billion. :-)
strawbs
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:26:05 PM

I mean .. the big moves are one market buy.. you guys are telling me multiple traders are doing these market buys at the exact same time?

Ok.  Cool

Sorry, I misinterpreted your meaning. Each recent substantial move has been one market buy, yes I agree. It's not likely that each substantial move over the past month has been caused by the same buyer though. I think it's likely that these are just separate individuals with a few $k to invest (especially at the moment, given the low market depth, since it only takes a few $k to move the price substantially i.e. by $6 or $7 as happened in the past hour).
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:29:38 PM

Whale MO:

Market can't take that and the risk is too high.  You'd start by cracking through a few ask walls (because you know your demand is going to push up the price so you might as well be the one that benefits) and then proceed by transferring a few million USD worth a week (descending as the market thins out) and buying on multiple exchanges simultaneously whenever reasonable ask walls start to build up.  You'd be willing to buy on exchanges that are 10-20% higher than others because you know your purchases alone will drive supply/demand curve enough so a 10% premium will be over taken in a week or 2, if that is where the liquidity is.

By transferring weekly, you never have too much value on the exchange and you eat the vertical portion of the ask curve, which gets you the most coins without driving the price much (you want to keep the price low for next week).  You'd buy BTC right away to minimize the time $ is on the exchange... so early in the week is likely.

If you have left over $ for the week -- that is, there weren't enough asks, you put up a wall maybe halfway back to entice big sellers to move BTC onto the exchange (its fine if they don't sell into your wall.  if its put up as an ask, you'll get it next week).  If you spent your weekly transfer, then no walls and no activity for a week -- to let the price drop down as far as it will go.  This is a better choice for a "whale" than putting up an ask wall b/c bitcoin is now officially $, the exchange knows who you are, and you have no interest in being prosecuted for market manipulation over maybe 5%.  And especially when it puts your hard-won BTC at risk of purchase by a surfacing whale.

Pump MO:

If you were "pumping", you are doing it differently; you want to maximize slippage. So you'd buy in much bigger gulps -- the further you push along the curve the further your dollar pushes up the BTC price.  Possibly even right after someone else's big buy (remember a bit of a loss in buys don't matter much -- if you are pumping you have a much bigger stash you are prepping to sell)  And you'd probably do it on one exchange only, relying on arb and trending bots to buy up the others.  Pumping like this would require a protective bid wall near your final price to psychologically cement in the new price.  You would never leave an ask wall half bought, there's no pump for your buck.  You'd put a bid wall up safely away from it and hope other eat into it while you transfer more $.  And when you did eat it, it would be the wall + the flat behind it...

hmm... which do you see last few weeks?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 01:30:48 PM

You'd do better to send it to Exante.  They are probably the best at getting trades performed in bitcoin with minimal market movement.
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:31:05 PM

They are just kicks initiated by MtGox themselves trying to spark the market alive so they can obtain fees which they can use to recoup their seized $5M. They are almost bankrupt

Kinda like using a defibrillator on a dead body
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 01:37:34 PM

They are almost bankrupt

lol...

your almost bankrupt !

shoulda held on, buddy... Cheesy
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:38:07 PM

They are just kicks initiated by MtGox themselves trying to spark the market alive so they can obtain fees which they can use to recoup their seized $5M. They are almost bankrupt

Kinda like using a defibrillator on a dead body

The simultaneous purchase of 1.6k on bitstamp makes me think that you are wrong...
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:38:13 PM

They are almost bankrupt

lol...

your almost bankrupt !

shoulda held on, buddy... Cheesy
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
strawbs
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:39:41 PM

Whale MO:

Market can't take that and the risk is too high.  You'd start by cracking through a few ask walls (because you know your demand is going to push up the price so you might as well be the one that benefits) and then proceed by transferring a few million USD worth a week (descending as the market thins out) and buying on multiple exchanges simultaneously whenever reasonable ask walls start to build up.  You'd be willing to buy on exchanges that are 10-20% higher than others because you know your purchases alone will drive supply/demand curve enough so a 10% premium will be over taken in a week or 2, if that is where the liquidity is.

By transferring weekly, you never have too much value on the exchange and you eat the vertical portion of the ask curve, which gets you the most coins without driving the price much (you want to keep the price low for next week).  You'd buy BTC right away to minimize the time $ is on the exchange... so early in the week is likely.

If you have left over $ for the week -- that is, there weren't enough asks, you put up a wall maybe halfway back to entice big sellers to move BTC onto the exchange (its fine if they don't sell into your wall.  if its put up as an ask, you'll get it next week).  If you spent your weekly transfer, then no walls and no activity for a week -- to let the price drop down as far as it will go.  This is a better choice for a "whale" than putting up an ask wall b/c bitcoin is now officially $, the exchange knows who you are, and you have no interest in being prosecuted for market manipulation over maybe 5%.  And especially when it puts your hard-won BTC at risk of purchase by a surfacing whale.

Pump MO:

If you were "pumping", you are doing it differently; you want to maximize slippage. So you'd buy in much bigger gulps -- the further you push along the curve the further your dollar pushes up the BTC price.  Possibly even right after someone else's big buy (remember a bit of a loss in buys don't matter much -- if you are pumping you have a much bigger stash you are prepping to sell)  And you'd probably do it on one exchange only, relying on arb and trending bots to buy up the others.  Pumping like this would require a protective bid wall near your final price to psychologically cement in the new price.  You would never leave an ask wall half bought, there's no pump for your buck.  You'd put a bid wall up safely away from it and hope other eat into it while you transfer more $.  And when you did eat it, it would be the wall + the flat behind it...

hmm... which do you see last few weeks?

Or.......just some individual investors buying some bitcoins
Or.......just some individuals who would prefer to buy bitcoins rather than have fiat sitting with an exchange which might go bust at any moment

Who knows...
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 01:41:47 PM

markets all around are strong, we are just about ready for the JUMP that most here won't believe because they are speculators, even the most bullish speculators will soon sell,  stash it away!
Pages: « 1 ... 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 ... 33357 »
  Print  

Jump to: