May 21, 2024, 05:20:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 [1496] 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 ... 33368 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26386485 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:35:55 AM

Everything you both wrote also describes perfectly the situation here in the UK, where we genuinely do have a continuation of the dreadful Thatcher years.

"...while society sleeps in an uninterested apathetic coma" - That's the same here too unfortunately.  Considering the way this government is deliberately impoverishing everyone whilst blatantly stuffing their pockets it should be enough to cause rioting or even civil war, unfortunately the population is too busy watching Eastenders and Big Brother on TV instead.  So long as nobody's pointing guns at them the British public will happily suck up the propaganda and accept mistreatment from corrupt governments indefinitely.

Anyway, I'll say no more about it because this could easily turn into a several page long rant if I get started.

Where's the ask/bid walls to discuss when I would like to get back on topic?  I haven't seen one for a few days now
i must say the 2011 riots in London felt like a sign. reminded me of the riots nearly every year in the banlieus of paris. (always started by some police violence)
it was the first time i saw the dark side of social networking resulting in a massive violent flashmob.

edit: sorry for OT, I'm not even trading right now....
just stopped by for a little rant and waiting for my deposit to arrive at bistamp Cool
squidface

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:42:21 AM

There is no way they wanted people to know about prism etc. No way. They're spooks. Spooks keep shit secret. That's an important thing. Why would they let the cat out of the bag for a such a spurious project? Even if they do have bigger stuff that we don't know anything about, which they most likely do, it's still a chump move to let everyone know about stuff as big as this. Once everyone starts tightening their shit up, it hurts their ability to do what they like doing and is their number one reason to exist, which is spying on people. The loss is bigger than the gain.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Trying to find a shitty conspiracy behind an actual major shit's going down sort of conspiracy just seems a touch excessive.

It is actually not the purview of the NSA to do PSYOPs like this—but it is the purview of the CIA, and Snowden has CIA connections. And it is not always as clear cut as taking actions which clearly serve a clear agenda. Quite the contrary. Black ops usually have the appearance of originating from a hostile actor.

Revolutionaries are not the only ones who have studied Hegel.

Ok, I'll bite.  Grin

So.. let's play this out. Snowden was leaking about NSA on behalf of the CIA. CIA want to achieve some sort of real effect in the world via this, through setting up a dialectical response from the world at large.

I'm trying to follow this through, but you might need to hold my hand through it. What is this effect and why do the CIA want it? People tighten up their security? Which people? Corporates? Why does the CIA care?

Create a feeling of paranoia and insecurity? Which dialectically does what? One would think it would make people more, rather than less, likely to resist? Aaaaaand...... that's what they want? So they get more powers?

It's a bold argument. I like it. Still not sure I agree though. Grin

Also, probably worth saying, not sure if any revolutionaries are still into Hegel. (Zizek doesn't count). I thought it was more about Deleuze these days. You could be right though, what with the state = manifestation of universal spirit thing, CIA dudes with the time for reading philosophy probably would get a hard on for him. It's a funny thing to contemplate.
lucas.sev

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:42:52 AM

Everything you both wrote also describes perfectly the situation here in the UK, where we genuinely do have a continuation of the dreadful Thatcher years.

"...while society sleeps in an uninterested apathetic coma" - That's the same here too unfortunately.  Considering the way this government is deliberately impoverishing everyone whilst blatantly stuffing their pockets it should be enough to cause rioting or even civil war, unfortunately the population is too busy watching Eastenders and Big Brother on TV instead.  So long as nobody's pointing guns at them the British public will happily suck up the propaganda and accept mistreatment from corrupt governments indefinitely.

Anyway, I'll say no more about it because this could easily turn into a several page long rant if I get started.

Where's the ask/bid walls to discuss when I would like to get back on topic?  I haven't seen one for a few days now
i must say the 2011 riots in London felt like a sign. reminded me of the riots every year in the banlieus of paris.
it was the first time i saw the dark side of social networking resulting in massive violent flashmobs.

2011 riots were fuelled by opportunists tempted by free stuff. There was no ideology behind them. I watched these riots with utter disgust. It's a shame they did not roll out the army.
ehoffman

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:56:58 AM

Just a question, is this supposed to be a thread about Gox tracking?  Please come back to the thread topic... Wink
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:58:23 AM

Just a question, is this supposed to be a thread about Gox tracking?  Please come back to the thread topic... Wink
There's nothing happening and no walls to discuss, so does it really matter?  If that changes then you can be sure that everyone will be back on topic.  This thread has always been a bit of a social club right from the beginning too.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1778

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:02:25 AM

hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:12:28 AM

i must say the 2011 riots in London felt like a sign. reminded me of the riots every year in the banlieus of paris.
it was the first time i saw the dark side of social networking resulting in massive violent flashmobs.

2011 riots were fuelled by opportunists tempted by free stuff. There was no ideology behind them. I watched these riots with utter disgust. It's a shame they did not roll out the army.

from what i remember it started with a policeman shooting a possible dealer from a streetgang, then some demonstrations followed and triggered by the usual suspects (probably members of streetgangs) the brew started to boil over.
I know that there was no ideology behind it, that's why i used the term "violent flashmob". (sounds perhaps a bit off, but i though a lot of kids organized themselves via networks)
I saw the coverage of kids robbing wounded people instead of helping and middleclass kids stealing stuff they could have bought in the first place. (afterwards they couldn't even explain why they did it)
totally disconnected human group behaviour without any sign of social aim. (despite citizens building vigilant groups for security because of the lack of police forces)
To a certain point though it's an indicator for the spread of the gap between rich and poor and that tension sometimes channels these break-outs.
I'm not sure though if army with life ammunition would have been a good strategy for inner security. (ok I admit, german point of view here, government has a huge amount of police riot forces at hand)

edit: 2nd OT....i should go to bed now
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:02:28 AM

MickeyT2008

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:35:58 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2013, 02:49:07 AM by MickeyT2008

from what i remember it started with a policeman shooting a possible dealer from a streetgang, then some demonstrations followed and triggered by the usual suspects (probably members of streetgangs) the brew started to boil over.
I know that there was no ideology behind it, that's why i used the term "violent flashmob". (sounds perhaps a bit off, but i though a lot of kids organized themselves via networks)
I saw the coverage of kids robbing wounded people instead of helping and middleclass kids stealing stuff they could have bought in the first place. (afterwards they couldn't even explain why they did it)
totally disconnected human group behaviour without any sign of social aim. (despite citizens building vigilant groups for security because of the lack of police forces)
To a certain point though it's an indicator for the spread of the gap between rich and poor and that tension sometimes channels these break-outs.
I'm not sure though if army with life ammunition would have been a good strategy for inner security. (ok I admit, german point of view here, government has a huge amount of police riot forces at hand)

edit: 2nd OT....i should go to bed now
You're right, although these riots were carried out by stupid kids in a stupid way they are indicative of the underlying anger of the whole population, there will very likely be more riots, but this time by adults with genuine grievances and who are completely desperate due to the way this corrupt government is deliberately and greedily impoverishing everyone.  They're blatantly stealing the wealth of the country and people really can't take much more, it's been quiet so far but there is so much anger and desperation thanks to this government that if it all kicks off again it won't be just a bunch of bored opportunistic kids robbing the shops for a new pair of trainers, it will most likely be the worst civil insurrection that this country has seen since the civil war.  I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if assassinating politicians comes back into fashion either.

The only thing that's prevented this from already having started is the Tory/BBC/Murdoch press propaganda machine working overtime to keep everyone blaming each other (the poor, the unemployed, immigrants, etc) rather than the government and their banker/corporate cronies who are the real criminals.  If enough people see though the propaganda then this government could find themselves in real physical danger, which is just what they deserve.

Personally I don't want rioting in the streets of course, I just want them to go away but obviously they're not going to, so only time wil tell how this is going to pan out.  The government had better hope that people keep staying at home, in front of the telly rather than taking to the streets as would be entirely understandable and justifiable.  The trouble with most riots is that people smash up the place that they live in, they rarely seem to target those who actually deserve it.

I knew things would get bad when this lot became the government but I didn't think it could be any worse than under Thatcher, how wrong I was, it's much worse by far.  Cameron makes that evil old witch look like Mother Theresa

Damn, I said I wasn't going to rant about our corrupt government, now I have, they just annoy me so much that it's difficult not to.  Obviously I didn't go bed when I said I would last time, I really should do now because I have to get up again in three hours to get my daughter to school - either that or maybe I should just have another coffee...

Still no walls to discuss, Gox is getting boring, I wonder how long that's going to last?  Often it suddenly gets very dramatic when it's been quiet for a while. (usually when I'm not looking)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:52:09 AM

Still no walls to discuss, Gox is getting boring, I wonder how long that's going to last?  Often it suddenly gets very dramatic when it's been quiet for a while. (usually when I'm not looking)

My take: A little bear that just ran out of steam.
MickeyT2008

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:58:37 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an adaptor cable which plugs into a motherboard's PCIe x16 slot, which then has 16 PCIe x1 slots attached to it, one PCIe lane each?  I was wondering if it might work out cheaper if in addition to my expensive gas boiler I was to heat my house by Litecoin mining.  Almost all the power used by the GPUs is lost as heat, but in winter heat is something I want and something I would have to pay for anyway.  This would in effect be a noisy and bulky fan heater which generated both heat and money, the heat would make up for the fact that LTC mining uses a bit more electricity than the value of the LTC it mines.

Every calorie of heat the mining machine blows out is a calorie my boiler doesn't have to produce.  Obviously there's the component costs too, those would have to be second hand, such as old HD5870s which work fairly well but aren't very expensive any more.

Maybe I could find a way to create such a cable if they're not commercially available
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 03:02:21 AM

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 03:37:04 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an adaptor cable which plugs into a motherboard's PCIe x16 slot, which then has 16 PCIe x1 slots attached to it, one PCIe lane each?  I was wondering if it might work out cheaper if in addition to my expensive gas boiler I was to heat my house by Litecoin mining.  Almost all the power used by the GPUs is lost as heat, but in winter heat is something I want and something I would have to pay for anyway.  This would in effect be a noisy and bulky fan heater which generated both heat and money, the heat would make up for the fact that LTC mining uses a bit more electricity than the value of the LTC it mines.

Every calorie of heat the mining machine blows out is a calorie my boiler doesn't have to produce.  Obviously there's the component costs too, those would have to be second hand, such as old HD5870s which work fairly well but aren't very expensive any more.

Maybe I could find a way to create such a cable if they're not commercially available

Do you mean like this?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190859065774?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

What would the purpose be [I mean, its making heat either way?]
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 03:39:46 AM

Do you mean like this?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190859065774?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Your boiler is more efficient as a heater than some GPUs.
MoneyMorpheus

Activity: 251

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 03:52:45 AM

I think you mean something like this:

http://www.amfeltec.com/products/x4pcie-splitter4.php

never tried to get one though...

EDIT: Just say you wanted for it to have 16 slots, 4 is the biggest I saw, but perhaps there are bigger...
MickeyT2008

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 04:17:35 AM

Do you mean like this?

Similar to that cable, but to plug into a motherboard's PCIe x16 slot at one end, and split into 16 cables with one PCIe x1 adaptor on each of the other ends to connect to 16 graphics cards.  The amount of data needed by each card mining can easily be sent through a single PCIe lane, after all the BFL 7GH/s vapourware miner that I've had on order forever uses a USB lead which is even slower.  (Where's my damned ASIC then, BFL?)

As for efficiency, consider it like any other machine for a moment, forget about data because that's not quantifiable in this way.  The card uses a certain amount of power, say 250W perhaps.  now where does all that power go?  The amount of electricity used by the PCIe interface is very small, the same goes for the video output cable.  This means that the bulk of the power is going somewhere else.  There are only three other ways for the power to go, remember that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it has to go somewhere.  Those three ways are heat, noise and into kinetic energy from the fan and the air that it moves.  The moving air and the spinning fan will lose their energy as heat from friction in the bearings and against the air in the room, there's no other place for it to go but that's only a small proportion of the energy that the card uses anyway.  The noise isn't like a stereo turned right up (for a single card anyway!) so that can't be using a lot of energy either, and the sound vibrations in the air will also convert into a small amount of heat as the atmosphere in the room or the bricks in the wall absorb them.  This means that almost all the energy goes directly into the heat lost from the GPU itself.  Even the electrical signals absorbed in the motherboard and the monitor will eventually be lost as heat too.  So this effectively means that all the energy that goes into the card becomes heat from one source or another, the only lost energy is from any sound which escapes the building and loses its energy outdoors, which will be negligible.

So, given that virtually all the power used by the card must become heat inside the room, that means that it would produce exactly the same amount of heat as an electric fan heater that used the same amount of power, so it would cost the same amount of money to run it.  The fact that whilst it's heating the room it also generates Litecoin is bonus, and when that's counted against the electricity bill it means that a mining rig is a cheaper way to heat a room than an electric heater is.  Of course though this still leaves the cost of the equipment, which is the only thing which can make it work out more expensive overall, that's why getting the parts cheaply is vital.

Anyway, I like tinkering with electronics so it's something to occupy me during those long winter nights.

Of course though there's still the issue of whether the noise will drive me insane!
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 04:37:16 AM

Do you mean like this?

Similar to that cable, but to plug into a motherboard's PCIe x16 slot at one end, and split into 16 cables with one PCIe x1 adaptor on each of the other ends to connect to 16 graphics cards.  The amount of data needed by each card mining can easily be sent through a single PCIe lane, after all the BFL 7GH/s vapourware miner that I've had on order forever uses a USB lead which is even slower.  (Where's my damned ASIC then, BFL?)

As for efficiency, consider it like any other machine for a moment, forget about data because that's not quantifiable in this way.  The card uses a certain amount of power, say 250W perhaps.  now where does all that power go?  The amount of electricity used by the PCIe interface is very small, the same goes for the video output cable.  This means that the bulk of the power is going somewhere else.  There are only three other ways for the power to go, remember that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it has to go somewhere.  Those three ways are heat, noise and into kinetic energy from the fan and the air that it moves.  The moving air and the spinning fan will lose their energy as heat from friction in the bearings and against the air in the room, there's no other place for it to go but that's only a small proportion of the energy that the card uses anyway.  The noise isn't like a stereo turned right up (for a single card anyway!) so that can't be using a lot of energy either, and the sound vibrations in the air will also convert into a small amount of heat as the atmosphere in the room or the bricks in the wall absorb them.  This means that almost all the energy goes directly into the heat lost from the GPU itself.  Even the electrical signals absorbed in the motherboard and the monitor will eventually be lost as heat too.  So this effectively means that all the energy that goes into the card becomes heat from one source or another, the only lost energy is from any sound which escapes the building and loses its energy outdoors, which will be negligible.

So, given that virtually all the power used by the card must become heat inside the room, that means that it would produce exactly the same amount of heat as an electric fan heater that used the same amount of power, so it would cost the same amount of money to run it.  The fact that whilst it's heating the room it also generates Litecoin is bonus, and when that's counted against the electricity bill it means that a mining rig is a cheaper way to heat a room than an electric heater is.  Of course though this still leaves the cost of the equipment, which is the only thing which can make it work out more expensive overall, that's why getting the parts cheaply is vital.

Anyway, I like tinkering with electronics so it's something to occupy me during those long winter nights.

Of course though there's still the issue of whether the noise will drive me insane!

Well gas is about half the cost of electricity when it comes to heating. Im not sure if litecoin gains would outweight it, at least at current costs. I mean, looking back, a 7950 was making something like $20/day at point. If you sold at todays prices. Back then? Pennies?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 05:43:05 AM

I think everyone is board and the walls around Fort Gox are moving and people are tracking it in real time.
MickeyT2008

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 05:52:10 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2013, 06:15:50 AM by MickeyT2008

Do you mean like this?

Similar to that cable, but to plug into a motherboard's PCIe x16 slot at one end, and split into 16 cables with one PCIe x1 adaptor on each of the other ends to connect to 16 graphics cards.  The amount of data needed by each card mining can easily be sent through a single PCIe lane, after all the BFL 7GH/s vapourware miner that I've had on order forever uses a USB lead which is even slower.  (Where's my damned ASIC then, BFL?)

As for efficiency, consider it like any other machine for a moment, forget about data because that's not quantifiable in this way.  The card uses a certain amount of power, say 250W perhaps.  now where does all that power go?  The amount of electricity used by the PCIe interface is very small, the same goes for the video output cable.  This means that the bulk of the power is going somewhere else.  There are only three other ways for the power to go, remember that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it has to go somewhere.  Those three ways are heat, noise and into kinetic energy from the fan and the air that it moves.  The moving air and the spinning fan will lose their energy as heat from friction in the bearings and against the air in the room, there's no other place for it to go but that's only a small proportion of the energy that the card uses anyway.  The noise isn't like a stereo turned right up (for a single card anyway!) so that can't be using a lot of energy either, and the sound vibrations in the air will also convert into a small amount of heat as the atmosphere in the room or the bricks in the wall absorb them.  This means that almost all the energy goes directly into the heat lost from the GPU itself.  Even the electrical signals absorbed in the motherboard and the monitor will eventually be lost as heat too.  So this effectively means that all the energy that goes into the card becomes heat from one source or another, the only lost energy is from any sound which escapes the building and loses its energy outdoors, which will be negligible.

So, given that virtually all the power used by the card must become heat inside the room, that means that it would produce exactly the same amount of heat as an electric fan heater that used the same amount of power, so it would cost the same amount of money to run it.  The fact that whilst it's heating the room it also generates Litecoin is bonus, and when that's counted against the electricity bill it means that a mining rig is a cheaper way to heat a room than an electric heater is.  Of course though this still leaves the cost of the equipment, which is the only thing which can make it work out more expensive overall, that's why getting the parts cheaply is vital.

Well gas is about half the cost of electricity when it comes to heating. Im not sure if litecoin gains would outweight it, at least at current costs. I mean, looking back, a 7950 was making something like $20/day at point. If you sold at todays prices. Back then? Pennies?
Gas used to be about half the cost of electricity here in the UK too, but in recent years the price has greedily risen a lot more quickly than with electricity so there's not a lot between them these days

Anyway, it'd be a smaller machine that was contributing heat, not a large machine kicking out so much heat that using the boiler was unnecessary.  Well, it was something to idly consider last night, not a project that I'm definitely hell bent on achieving.  I was just thinking about how much it costs to heat my house, it'd be lovely to have a heating system with generated money as well as heat but I suppose it is a bit impractical.  Or to put it another way, if the heat generated is useful then surely this must alter the way LTC mining profitability should be considered re: LTC mined vs electricity consumed because there's the third factor to consider of the waste heat no longer being waste and the fact that this where most of the electricity consumed ends up.  Anyway, the best use for such a mining rig were it possible would be to take it back in time to when Bitcoin was first new and mine back in the days when most people hadn't heard of BTC, and those who had were CPU mining - or better still just use the cash to buy up BTC four years ago - why didn't anyone tell me about BTC back then?
MickeyT2008

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:51:47 AM

I think you mistakenly thought this was a thread about mining hardware, but I can't figure it out how did you get that impression since NOTHING on the title says hardware, mining, PCI, video cards, etc... anyways, go find the right thread for your question and let the boys talk about the things that matter on this thread.
Nice attitude, hey?  Well you feel free to talk about the walls and all the trading that's happening then, not that there are any to discuss.  Everyone else has been off topic too for this reason too, so why single out what I wrote, hey?

Honestly though I really can't be bothered to argue about this with you, maybe this thread should just be closed down until someone puts up an ask/bid wall to keep you happy as this is officially a single topic thread. (not a thread that you created though and you're not its moderator)
Pages: « 1 ... 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 [1496] 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 ... 33368 »
  Print  

Jump to: