April 27, 2024, 03:24:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 30536 30537 30538 30539 30540 30541 30542 30543 30544 30545 30546 30547 30548 30549 30550 30551 30552 30553 30554 30555 30556 30557 30558 30559 30560 30561 30562 30563 30564 30565 30566 30567 30568 30569 30570 30571 30572 30573 30574 30575 30576 30577 30578 30579 30580 30581 30582 30583 30584 30585 [30586] 30587 30588 30589 30590 30591 30592 30593 30594 30595 30596 30597 30598 30599 30600 30601 30602 30603 30604 30605 30606 30607 30608 30609 30610 30611 30612 30613 30614 30615 30616 30617 30618 30619 30620 30621 30622 30623 30624 30625 30626 30627 30628 30629 30630 30631 30632 30633 30634 30635 30636 ... 33304 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368593 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 12:04:59 AM

Explanation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10167

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 12:07:12 AM

Sorry but I couldn't resist... this one is for you JJG  Grin

Everyone knew the chart was gonna fail at some point

You deserve a bat-slappening for that comment, dude...

Whoaza!!!!!

To the extent the information contained therein is even accurate, it looks good for 2021, but given our current spot price, and our recent BTC price dynamics, it does not look so great in terms of what could be in store for 2022.

Cry Cry Cry

You failed to cheer me up, BitcoinBunny.,. therefore a batslappening is due.

Angry Angry Angry Angry

Huh?

You deserve a batslappening for sharing such an ambiguous and distracting picture and failing/refusing to explain ur lil selfie for having had provided such imagenationings for wwwwwweeeeee largely innocent WO peeps.

No excuses, Hueristic!!!!!!!!

Angry Angry Angry Angry

Please try not to interact with me Jay.

Ok.... I will take your vices and try harder... just like my idol Boxer in Animal Farm.  

In other words, no batslap for you... you suck.

Huh?

You're into legs/arms? Nothing wrong with that.

You must be gay.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 12:17:02 AM

Wow I woke up proudhon and the greatest bullish statement he has made since 2012.

Is this the end of btc?

At least I got my solar array approvals this week.

my power cost dropped bigly.

this is so 2018.

I found out the secret how proudhon used to calculate bitcoin price before...

But now I guess he/she using some new logic.

I trust him fully with my money. No questions asked.

Buy bitcoin

Is this confirmed by sources?
Hamza2424
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1030

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2022, 12:26:22 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2022, 12:42:59 AM by Hamza2424

Proof that you do not read before you jump to conclusions. Daily DCA
Daily DOLLAR COST AVERAGING

Exactly Bro

DCA straightway is still gonna work for the upcoming 5 years let me explain if an investment of $30M or Less like $5M is made with that being said then a Holding gap from that to the next Halving will be like 2 to 3 years after that Halving the Block will 1.5 Rewarding then BTC Price to Cost of Mining Block will decide the price. That will be easily around $1M.

You can calculate your profits there these Strategies are good for the Countries Under High Debits to pay.

Not Day Dreaming the  Realized value of BTC is the proof as you can see from the chart currently the realized value is around 25k and ATH is 69k but after 2 Halvings due to Realized value and ATH will be close to the ATH.

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 01:04:55 AM

Explanation
death_wish

Activity: 70
Merit: 320

Take profit in BTC. Account PnL in BTC. BTC=money.

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 01:43:01 AM

Newbie question here:  Is it prohibited to threaten or extort ChartBuddy?  I think that if his charts do not show number going up, I may want to knee-cap him and post hacked naked pics of his sister, Tickerina.  Or if he doesn't have knees because he's a robot, I could delete his config files, or drop tables in his database, or something like that.

You seem to be on margin in btc.

No.  I would never do something so stupid as to take a leveraged long on a highly volatile asset.

Instead, I shorted the dollar at high leverage.  The dollar's fundamentals are wretchedly bad.  In the long term, it is practically guaranteed to depreciate severely.  Shorting the dollar is smart - at least in theory.

The problem is that "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent", and the dollar is now in a bull-run bubble.

The only time I was on margin, 20 years ago, the end result was zeroing of my account in the Internet crash of 2001-2002.

When I tried trading tech stocks in the same time period, I managed to lose half the portfolio's original value without any margin at all.  I am talented!  You went all the way to zero, but you needed margin to do it.  You have no skills at losing money fast.

See, I can laugh about that.  Because the loss was in dollars - not in Bitcoin, which did not yet exist.  It's only money!

imho, btc should be bought with cash only.
If you borrow money to buy btc (imho, not advisable for most with the exception of people with a huge cash flow), then borrow it OUTSIDE of the bitcoin-buying account.

See this:

The problem is not borrowing money to buy BTC.  (Is it a problem for Saylor?)  The problem is borrowing money on the worst possible terms.  Positively malicious terms.

For most other types of loans, a borrower's default is not in the lender's best interest.  Collecting on defaulted accounts is lossy, and high-overhead.  Therefore, even the harsher parts of the lending terms tend to be tempered by the lender's desire not to need to deal with delinquent or defaulted accounts.  Most lenders seek to minimize defaults.

The entities offering cryptocurrency margin accounts have a perverse incentive to stack the loan terms to maximize borrower defaults.  Want to buy BTC at a discount?  Set up an exchange, offer margin accounts, wait for the dip, and then stockpile BTC in cascading liquidations!

The whole cryptocurrency margin ecosystem has the incentives of loan-sharking.  Those incentives are exploited in full accord with the ethics of people who also profit from pump-and-dump Ponzi-coins.

You need to be either stupid or crazy to take a loan on these terms, for almost any purpose.
ImThour
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1512

Bitcoin Bottom was at $15.4k

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 01:56:51 AM

Sup everyone, just wanted to tell you that my Daily DCA is now active till 2023.
I will be buying daily for the next 237 days. Lowest BTC will go according to my analysis which I posted on 27th Jan is $24k which is 200 Weekly Moving Average.

If we take time into consideration for the price to meet the Weekly 200 MA, it will be near about $24k.
This changes the price drop from current price from 46% to 30%.

Have a good week ahead, happy buying.

Maybe you are hitting on another developing pet peeve of mine?

Daily cost averaging seems to be a misleading attempt at a euphemism... and the term is not daily cost averaging, it is dollar cost averaging (this correction about the "proper" term does not have to do with the dollar.. but instead getting away from expectation that there is any kind of meaningful justification to be maniacally in regards to buying every day.. which is more of an advanced practice rather than an entry-level practice).

Proof that you do not read before you jump to conclusions. Daily DCA
Daily DOLLAR COST AVERAGING

Not meant for everyone to read it properly, I guess?

Also, there is no particular strategy on when and how you accumulate, you just do it.

Heater

Activity: 403
Merit: 360

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 01:57:51 AM
Merited by death_wish (2), JayJuanGee (1)

Newbie question here:  Is it prohibited to threaten or extort ChartBuddy?  I think that if his charts do not show number going up, I may want to knee-cap him and post hacked naked pics of his sister, Tickerina.  Or if he doesn't have knees because he's a robot, I could delete his config files, or drop tables in his database, or something like that.

No.  I would never do something so stupid as to take a leveraged long on a highly volatile asset.

Instead, I shorted the dollar at high leverage.  The dollar's fundamentals are wretchedly bad.  In the long term, it is practically guaranteed to depreciate severely.  Shorting the dollar is smart - at least in theory.

The problem is that "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent", and the dollar is now in a bull-run bubble.

The only time I was on margin, 20 years ago, the end result was zeroing of my account in the Internet crash of 2001-2002.

When I tried trading tech stocks in the same time period, I managed to lose half the portfolio's original value without any margin at all.  I am talented!  You went all the way to zero, but you needed margin to do it.  You have no skills at losing money fast.

See, I can laugh about that.  Because the loss was in dollars - not in Bitcoin, which did not yet exist.  It's only money!

If you borrow money to buy btc (imho, not advisable for most with the exception of people with a huge cash flow), then borrow it OUTSIDE of the bitcoin-buying account.

See this:

The problem is not borrowing money to buy BTC.  (Is it a problem for Saylor?)  The problem is borrowing money on the worst possible terms.  Positively malicious terms.

For most other types of loans, a borrower's default is not in the lender's best interest.  Collecting on defaulted accounts is lossy, and high-overhead.  Therefore, even the harsher parts of the lending terms tend to be tempered by the lender's desire not to need to deal with delinquent or defaulted accounts.  Most lenders seek to minimize defaults.

The entities offering cryptocurrency margin accounts have a perverse incentive to stack the loan terms to maximize borrower defaults.  Want to buy BTC at a discount?  Set up an exchange, offer margin accounts, wait for the dip, and then stockpile BTC in cascading liquidations!

The whole cryptocurrency margin ecosystem has the incentives of loan-sharking.  Those incentives are exploited in full accord with the ethics of people who also profit from pump-and-dump Ponzi-coins.

You need to be either stupid or crazy to take a loan on these terms, for almost any purpose.

Can you sell half of your position? It might help you sleep better if there is no chance of a total wipeout.

At any point in time, there is a 50/50 chance of the pricing going up or down. You need to be positioned accordingly.

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 02:04:54 AM

Explanation
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 02:06:21 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Yah, well, I just bought some today as well, I missed the local low of $30,500 though.  But, my short-term speculation record is usually pretty bad.  Almost as bad as proudhon's?   Tongue

Wow.. you must suck really badly if you are comparing your performance to proudhon's performance, especially proudhon's price projections.

On the other hand, most of us already have some pretty good ideas that such donkey-breathed being, aka proudhon, is either a ringer or he has extensive brain-damage (probably a bit of both). .In any event, it would be good to call him age-appropriate names wherever and whenever possible... he get's a lot of scholarly motives (if that is the right name?) from such.. since he is sort of stuck at 12 and a half years.. for some reason? - even though we should not be feeding those kinds of damaged juvenile animals.. it only encourages them to spout out more puzzled pieces of disinformation.. like they are stuck in a time-warp, never got past the 6th grade in terms of calculation skills, and still believes that bitcoin is a baby (believes in santa claus too).. just like them.

I have a long history of short-term speculation going the other way on me right after I buy or sell...  I buy, the price goes down.  Maybe 80% of the time!  Anyone could make short-term money taking the other side of my trade.

Longer term I do better.

proudhon is probably my favorite character here at W.O.  For real.  Though you and the DUDE are close runners-up.   Tongue
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 4138

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 02:18:21 AM

One of the benefits of buying BTC early is that the average buy price of one's stash can be very low. So low, that dips like the one we're currently experiencing can be treated as almost non-events. Informed, hardened HoDLers, the ones who understand Bitcoin and have endured the 2017-2020 bear season, can go through such dips without any fear or uncertainty of what's coming. But even newbies in Bitcoin should not fear the volatility. We're still so early in Bitcoin's journey, that any amount of selling to keep fiat in a bank is much more risky in the long term than HoDLing and waiting. There are those who are willing to take the risk and ride the short-term wave, like LFC_Bitcoin's well-played sell near the top and subsequent buy near the local bottom. Good for him and I'm happy that it worked out, but I believe luck played a big part in it -- it could have gone the other way. I'm not even considering taking such risk -- Bitcoin is just too precious to sell and risk not being able to buy back lower. What I do is DCA by buying small/medium-sized chunks of corn to add to my stash whenever I can. Not as profitable as selling high and buying low (if I'm lucky), but it's 100% safe (in the sense that my stash is always increasing and always stays under my full control), and still taking advantage of each BTFD opportunity as it comes.

As for the worth of one's stash, I'd use the 200-Week Moving Average (200-WMA) as a reliable, robust wealth size metric. The 200-WMA has grown to be my go-to metric when it comes to past Bitcoin performance and future expectations. The problem with observing spot price and zooming in, is that patterns tend to get dissolved and lost into the randomness of the short-term price action. The magic comes when zooming out -- patterns spring out of the noise and become clearly visible, while noise is averaged out and disappears. You can let your monitor and your eyes/brain do the averaging, or you can let math & science do it. I choose the latter option, combined with Bitcoin's 4-year Halving cycle, hence the 200-WMA. Two things: 1. The 200-WMA is monotonically increasing (i.e, has never decreased at any point in its history), 2. Spot price has practically never dropped below the 200-WMA for any significant length of time. Those two things should be enough to see where things are going. Measuring one's Bitcoin wealth in terms of the 200-WMA is a safe, conservative lower bound, that's backed not by weeks or months, but by 13+ years' worth of historical data. It's currently at $21,719. Of course, with Bitcoin anything is possible, any model can break, as seems to be the case with Plan B's S2F model, and HoDLers should be prepared for anything. Still, IMHO, the odds of Bitcoin's spot price getting and staying lower than the 200-WMA for a significant amount of time are pretty low to non-existent.

tl;dr: Don't be a weak hand, don't be scared by dips, no matter how deep they may appear to be. Just zoom out and use math & science to separate the trend from the noise. The 200-WMA indicator should put your mind at ease regarding where we're going. Yes, spot price and the 200-WMA tend to meet every once in a long while, but only briefly, before spot price quickly shoots upwards. Still worried and thinking of selling? You do what you have to do, but I fear that along with the fiat you're going to get, you'll soon have to put an 'M.' in between your first name and surname. Not to mention the batslaps and rusty pipes you're going to be receiving...  Cheesy  Your choice.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 02:18:38 AM

Terrawhat?

Seriously, if it hadn't been mentioned, I never would have known it existed.

Who cranks out all these garbage "stablecoins" anyway? And why would anyone trust them?

well, bitcoin peeps were applauding them buying $3 bil in btc to support their scheme.
nobody (or almost nobody) was complaining.

That's the best joke. Buying BTC for advertisement and then being forced to sell it at a loss 1 month later. These guys get the award for the most gigantic paper hands ever, trading like a noob.

I give at least 60/40 chance that we should expect the same from Saylor (that he might sell into a margin call this year).
It seems that EVERYONE who either buys bitcoin on margin OR does some bitcoin-unrelated stuff, is being shaken off eventually.

Bitcoin is like a wild stallion that does not allow anyone to saddle it.

You deserve a battening slappening for that one, biodom.

Angry Angry Angry

[edited out]

That's true. You could call it "The ultimate whale-hunt"

Like deserves like.

Angry Angry Angry

So did 30k fall

and do we finally leave the artificial

28.8k-69.8k slot

btw as of today my personal guarantee of 70k in may made last year means I may go down as the greatest btc jinx ever.

how bout that jjg?

I doubt that your being wrong or whatever had any effect at all on the BTC price.

You were just wrong, and that's all.. .. except the fact that you remain stubbornly affixed on that largely unimportant number that for all intents and purposes we have reached.. even though technically, we were $1k shy of actually reaching it.

Are you sorry that you asked?  yet?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

btw as of today my personal guarantee of 70k in may made last year means I may go down as the greatest btc jinx ever.

I think we really could see $70k this month. Things are looking pretty bullish from here.

Have you ever considered renaming your lil donkey-breath selfie?

How about "Proud Annoying Hon"?

I know it is bit long, but still.

Is bitcoinity done? Sad

I have been wondering the same.. .it's been down for a few days...
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 02:30:29 AM

See this:

I don't typically short anything. FAANG looked like a short, but still I hesitated.
Well..i can now buy 30-50% MORE FAANG for my cash if i want to, but i won't.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 02:43:08 AM

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 03:00:44 AM

Sad how people reacted when I said BTC will be the best buy at realized price i.e. $24.5k which also is 200 WMA.

First off.. any kind of "I told you so" tone is unbecoming of a wall observer gentlemen.. even if you proclaim NOT to be one..

Second:  I am wondering whether you just throw random numbers out of your ass?

hahahahahaha

Just asking? 

Yeah, if you throw out a bunch of random numbers, then sooner or later, you are going to be correct about some of the random numbers that you threw out there, but I doubt that your being correct (if it happens) constitutes an "I told you so." 

Sure, if you are feeling gleeful that you made bank, then there is no problem with that.  I doubt anyone would be hating on you, even if you were to make more money based on whatever play that you made based on your BTC price projections.

As I type this post, the 200-week moving average is $21,736.

https://www.lookintobitcoin.com/charts/200-week-moving-average-heatmap/

Do you want to proclaim that you are referring to some other 200WMA.. if so, you better specify how you would get the 200-week MA to be $24.5k when it is actually $21,736. In that regard, at least we should be attempting to use the same referents.. or specify if we are using some other measure in order to throw out our proclamation of number representations.

I will concede that it may well not make a whole hell of a lot of difference whether the BTC price goes to $24.5k or $21.7k or somewhere in that ballpark, and I have quite a few doubts about whether technical analysis is really telling us much of anything in regards to where the BTC price is going to go.. even though some of the averages can give us some clues about where we are at.. and even to attempt to figure out how much of a bargain that we might be getting at this particular price.. especially if the more bullish case ends up playing out - of course, based on a variety of fundamentals.

By the way, regarding your assertion that $24.5k is inevitable... I would be careful in regards to believing any kind of BTC price movement to be inevitable, unless it had already happened... So, if you are trying to proclaim that something in the future is "inevitable" you are bound to be overly calculating such an outcome.

Now this Luna dump will surely make me reach my target + Saylor is now in unrealized loss.

You have some kind of a theory about what Saylor is going to do?

You must have been reading a lot of nonsense if you believe that being in "unrealized loss" is going to cause any kind of behavior besides possibly buying a wee bit moar coinz, perhaps? perhaps? 

but hey.. let's see if it matters to be bringing up the status of Saylor's coins?

You may well be too much of a newbie to remember Tim Draper? 

Do you know the story?

Do I need to tell some brief version of it?

Largely, in about June 2014, Draper had publicly bought the US Fed Marshall auction coins of around 30k BTC for a bit over $600 per coin, and the reason that he bought that many is because he was bidding more than the spot price, and so he thought that he was a genius for getting all of the coins, but you know what happened to the BTC price?  He was largely negative on those coins until late 2016... .. Yeah there were a few blips in which his coins went into profits in mid 2016, but they went back into the negative after the supposed Bitfinex hack.... and so part of the point is that he was being called a fool for around three years, and no coiners and naysayers were suggesting a variety of theories about "poor Tim".. blah blah blah..

And, how did that work out?  Saylor is in a much better position than ole Tim Draper, even though Draper did quite well for his lil selfie in spite of so many doubters and conspiratorial folks who cannot appreciate the power of conviction.

$30k support to break pretty soon, I don't wish BTC to go below 200 WMA anytime soon.

Bitcoin no gives no shits what you wish.

There will be a short pump towards $38k before going back to under $30k.

Is that how it works?

When most of you are talking, I am buying because I believed myself.  Roll Eyes

Nothing wrong with buying regularly and also buying on dips... just as long as you do not presume that you have your purchase target price and timeline in the bag because there are no such guarantees in bitcoinlandia.. .. and careful when you presume that you are doing smarter things than the rest of us or that you know more than other guys here.

Is bitcoinity done? Sad
For Bitstamp it is, since 6th May

Oh?  That little hint helped me to identify a fix that I could make to my set up, and  I switched over to another exchange..

That looks much nicer to have a data feed (and a price) working/showing again...

Great!!!!!

What next ?
I am hoping for a good volume because The Total Capital of the crypto market is now Droped from an esitamed Value of the $2T to the $1.4T the total loss of or transfer of the value is more then $600B.

Making temper run if a good volume expected on these support levels.

Are you lost, buddy (not referring to chart buddy.. chart buddy seems to know where we are at, even though sometimes not cooperating very well in terms of his/her/their (jk) posts)?

Why would we give anything approaching two ratt's asses about "the total capital of the crypto" blah blah blah?

We be talking about king daddy in these here parts... get a grip Hamza!!!!  snap out of it!!!   Angry Angry Angry
death_wish

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 03:03:47 AM

At any point in time, there is a 50/50 chance of the pricing going up or down. You need to be positioned accordingly.

The chance is not 50/50.  For example, Murphy's Law, which is infinitely more reliable than PlanB, stipulates that the moment after I drop a large proportion of my BTC without being forced by imminent liquidation, BTC will suddenly rocket off to six digits.  (But what does Murphy say about the chances if I don't?)

Can you sell half of your position? It might help you sleep better if there is no chance of a total wipeout.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Sleeping better is not my primary goal:  Salvaging as much BTC as I can is my primary goal (now tempered by "no more dumping other assets into this account!"), even at the expense of sleep, health, sanity, and everything else that I have been sacrificing for months because of this.  Anyway, I just crunched some numbers for a back-of-the-envelope estimate of something that changes as the BTC price fluctuates.

At $30,600 (the approximate ticker price when I saw your post, and started spitballing various scenarios), I would need to sell about 61% of my BTC to get my liquidation price down to the current 200 WMA.  That is still not "no chance of a total wipeout", because (a) in the past, it has often wicked below 200 WMA when it bottoms, and (b) 200 WMA is not guaranteed, anyway.

I would need to sell at least 65%-70% to get myself to a level that could be considered pretty much more or less "safe" - excluding flash-crashes, such as the March 2020 Covid crash, when it did the proportionate equivalent of very briefly dropping to about $12k now.

No matter what level is considered "safe", it must account for the wicks - such as the very brief drop below $30k that almost got me liquidated yesterday.

Exchange margin accounts make loans on the worst possible terms:  If the fuzzy-notional price of an oracle (not even the real market order-book price) dips even one microdollar below exactly $x for even one microsecond, then a robot instantly trashes your collateral.  Sells down, market-dumps - with liquidation penalty.

This is all assuming that I could sell at the stated price.  I have enough that the way that market makers arrange their orders, I would need either to catch a period of low volatility (when makers tend to set their real spread tighter), or use some trading strategy to avoid slicing through through the order book enough to change the whole calculation (when makers tend to set a string of tiny orders on the book, withdrawing their bigger orders to as much as 1–2% away from mid-market).

This does not mean I'm rich!  To illustrate the problem, my last 0.2 BTC sell during extreme volatility yesterday cut through the order book so that most of it was filled about $200 lower than the ticker price, thus appreciably deepening the hourly candlestick's bottom wick on this exchange as seen here.  (Those who want to take a lesson out of this for newbies should note the effect on cascading liquidations during crashes; I think that not many people realize this, or have studied it.)  And even if I am have a relatively small amount compared to some here, 61%-75% of what I have is much more than 0.2 BTC!

The effect of leverage is nonlinear.  Many margin newbies don't realize that.  Every 1% increase or decrease in BTC price has a counterintuitively large impact on the amount that I would need to sell to reach safety level x, for any given x.  (This the scenario now, as I conclude this writing at $31,500, is significantly better than when I started bouncing numbers and thinking this through - but not enough "significantly" to avoid being horrific.)  As I said in some earlier post, at $47k last month, I could have walked away clean with more BTC than I started with; but now, no matter what I do, I will lose most of my long-held holdings if yesterday was not the bottom, or at worst close to the bottom.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 03:05:01 AM

Explanation
death_wish

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 03:29:11 AM

I don't typically short anything. FAANG looked like a short, but still I hesitated.
Well..i can now buy 30-50% MORE FAANG for my cash if i want to, but i won't.

When you took margin longs 20 years ago as you previously described, you were shorting the dollar as priced in semi-fungible tokens called "stocks".

People need to flip their thinking about BTC.  "Selling" BTC means buying dollars - going long on the dollar, and doing it for cash if you are not using margin.  "Buying" BTC means selling dollars - taking a short position against the dollar, even if you are not using margin to short.  Shorting BTC means taking a leveraged long on the dollar.  And taking a leveraged long position on BTC is short-selling the dollar on margin:  Borrowing an asset that is expected to depreciate, and selling it for money.

Related in concept, but not directed at you:

People are way too stuck in thinking about dollars as "money", and everything else as "assets priced in money (= dollars)".

It was quite the spectacle when I tried to explain some concepts to a newbie by putting them in familiar terms, based on his own experience.

I told him that when he took a home purchase mortgage loan, he was shorting the dollar as priced in a non-fungible token called a "house".  If the dollar rises too much, as priced in units of his house, then the lender reserves the right to call the loan due immediately, among other remedies; this is logically similar to a margin call.  And indeed, all home purchase mortgages contain such terms in the fine print - although they are rarely invoked because the dollar/house market has low volatility, and dollars rarely appreciate as priced in houses.  Anyway, the expense and other overhead of foreclosures usually helps to deter lenders from being overly aggressive in foreclosing unless necessary.  By contrast, as I pointed out earlier, exchanges have a perverse incentive to stack the deck to create more cryptocurrency "foreclosures" (liquidations).

He didn't get it.

If he had understood that, then perhaps he would have been able to "get" Bitcoin.  (And he would have understood why he should avoid both cryptocurrency margin accounts, and home purchase mortgages!)

Yes, I explained earlier how I got myself into such a predicament when I know all this - "I know better than that..."
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 03:38:09 AM

Looks like we have a bit of a scrap going on with the price. Though possibly just aftershocks.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 03:43:17 AM
Merited by moneystery (1)

From weak to strong....

I was going to send you an smerit.. but something was not right about that meme...

Now, I want to kill myself... or at least, take up alcoholism as a hobby.

(Someone, please quote me.)

Before anyone asks...

The liquidator would have dumped much, much more than I shaved off at the bottom.

So, yes, I was lucky to sell at the bottom.

I hope that was the bottom.

Edited to add an img tag.  Duh.  Today is a very bad day for me.  Thanks to Hueristic for adding the image tag in his quote, which others did not.

I am having trouble understanding how you are in a better position for having had sold at the bottom  (you are saying that you closed your margin short, just before you got force liquidated?)..  Fucking around with margin is usually not a good idea, unless you are just hedging other portions of your portfolio.. .. so maybe if you hold $100k BTC.. Maybe you would hedge $5k of it or maybe $10k at most?  I suppose there are formulas in order that you can simultaneously play both price directions.

Am I in denial??

Looks like a pink bear.

Oh my!!!   Shocked

A pink bull would be better?  But in nature, usually we do not think about bulltraps, but we do think about bear traps...

Oh wait?

Nice bullish rebound on the 12h.

Can you stop jinxing us, already?

Go back to posting your nattering nabobs of negativism.

Thanks.
Pages: « 1 ... 30536 30537 30538 30539 30540 30541 30542 30543 30544 30545 30546 30547 30548 30549 30550 30551 30552 30553 30554 30555 30556 30557 30558 30559 30560 30561 30562 30563 30564 30565 30566 30567 30568 30569 30570 30571 30572 30573 30574 30575 30576 30577 30578 30579 30580 30581 30582 30583 30584 30585 [30586] 30587 30588 30589 30590 30591 30592 30593 30594 30595 30596 30597 30598 30599 30600 30601 30602 30603 30604 30605 30606 30607 30608 30609 30610 30611 30612 30613 30614 30615 30616 30617 30618 30619 30620 30621 30622 30623 30624 30625 30626 30627 30628 30629 30630 30631 30632 30633 30634 30635 30636 ... 33304 »
  Print  

Jump to: