June 24, 2024, 10:40:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 15812 15813 15814 15815 15816 15817 15818 15819 15820 15821 15822 15823 15824 15825 15826 15827 15828 15829 15830 15831 15832 15833 15834 15835 15836 15837 15838 15839 15840 15841 15842 15843 15844 15845 15846 15847 15848 15849 15850 15851 15852 15853 15854 15855 15856 15857 15858 15859 15860 15861 [15862] 15863 15864 15865 15866 15867 15868 15869 15870 15871 15872 15873 15874 15875 15876 15877 15878 15879 15880 15881 15882 15883 15884 15885 15886 15887 15888 15889 15890 15891 15892 15893 15894 15895 15896 15897 15898 15899 15900 15901 15902 15903 15904 15905 15906 15907 15908 15909 15910 15911 15912 ... 33478 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26406133 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Andre#

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 04:46:47 PM

Fck, network clogged again. Got an annoyed customer complaining about his coins not arriving.  Angry
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 06:10:25 PM

Fck, network clogged again. Got an annoyed customer complaining about his coins not arriving.  Angry

Are you btc support?

My transaction has not been included in the last 4 blocks.  I used the recommended fee from my electrum wallet which varies and has worked in the past.
Andre#

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 06:28:11 PM

Are you btc support?

My transaction has not been included in the last 4 blocks.  I used the recommended fee from my electrum wallet which varies and has worked in the past.

No, I'm not BTC support. Just a simple trader. I'm using Mycelium which usually does a good job chasing the moving target called transaction fee. But sometimes it fails, and I'm left with a complaining customer.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 06:40:41 PM

Jk about support ofc Smiley  Now at 6 blocks and unconfirmed.  Oh well. 
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10434

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 07:12:59 PM

Howdy, folks. It's been a while. Soooo....no SegWit yet?

Core fucked you over, but you got your ego invested in defending them and now that it is more and more obvious (Yeah you, JJG) that they had no intention of any kind of on chain scaling at all ever, you try to tell yourself and anyone who will listen that it doesn't really matter much anyway.

So with Core stalling and the centralization of mining in China, I'm wondering why BTC is actually doing as well as it is. Could it be the leper with the most toes? or maybe the technicals haven't caught up with the fundamentals yet. I dunno. All I know is JJG is an idiot and I'm spending my coins like a sailor on leave. Hope it rockets. I still got lots to dump.

Yeah, you are smarter than the rest of us, and you assert that you are always covered no matter which way the market goes (and you have tons of BTC, bullshit), even though you were proclaiming the time to short in the upper $200s and then again later proclaiming the time to short in the upper $300s.  Both times, you were reckted with your stupid ass renditions that bitcoin is dead.

As I already asserted in my most recent posts, in bitcoinlandia, matters seem to be progressing very well in terms of development, scaling, security, fees, censorship resistance and many of the other value added aspects of bitcoin, so maybe you could exercise a bit of patience, rather than mouthing off about continued fearmongering nonsense.. whatever happened to your scary over used and misleading fulblocalypse term?  Even you are likely realizing that use of such of term had little to no credibility in attempts to apply it to the real world, so you have to try other forms of "creativity" and FUCD spreading...

nice to see you are  back to posting your well-reasoned factual based assertions....

NOT
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 07:42:34 PM

Right or wrong BJA's posts are entertaining.

12 blocks and I'm still waiting to be included in a block.  Mempool 7-8mb  blocksize 1mb

Guess I'll wait  Tongue
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 07:47:44 PM

[edited out]

What makes me conclude that is that I see 'altcoins' lke Dash or even a tiny coin like NLG have more interesting news about innovation and adoption more often then BTC does.

Surely, a lot of altcoins receive a lot of attention because they are both marketed, and they are overall non-threatening by mainstream financial institutions in their current state of development.  Only bitcoin is a meaningful kind of threat to mainstream financial institutions.  There could be some bright side that bitcoin does not get more attention while it is still developing (and probably going to be activating seg wit which remains as an innovative matter that could have some bugs, possibly?).

Yeah, I would like the price of bitcoin to go up also, but I don't think that it hurts to have some patience, and I also don't think that bitcoin is really losing anything to the various alt coins, including market share.  It remains very likely that many of the features of a variety of altcoins are going to be absorbed into bitcoin as side chains or whatever, and the innovations of those other coins does not really hurt the crypto space in getting more people involved who will likely gravitate towards bitcoin, if they do not become too jaded or butt hurt when they get screwed over by some of the alt coin pumping and dumping.

And I'm just generally amazed at how much time it takes to simply build a good wallet with features that people would want, like NFC payment and payment based on usernames instead of incomprehensible adresses.

Surely, this is technically beyond me to understand what exactly makes user interface easier and more elegant and more secure, etc.  We know that there are various competing platforms, and overtime, bitcoin is likely going to become more and more easy to use, while maintaining its security.

There are a variety of people and companies working in the bitcoin space, and a lot of this work is done behind the scenes.. some of the innovations of the various companies that are working on bitcoin will come to fruition and become activated in bitcoin over time, and some will achieve mass adoption, but sometimes, also, we are not going to be able to identify which of those interfaces will become bitcoin's apple or bitcoin's google, or bitcoin's facebook.. time will tell, and I doubt that it helps to attempt to rush the good things, because it is what it is, and the good things will come with time...   Bitcoin's foundations remain great, including a lot of the functionality that seems apparent in the following of the going live of seg wit.

You link a graph. I think this graph is more relevant: https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-per-block

Both graphs show an overall continued rise in the useage of bitcoin, and maybe there will be periods of apparent flatness, and maybe there is a bit of consolidation going on.. but really during periods of exponential growth, there also needs to be systems in place that can absorb new users.. and also ways to attempt to monetize various innovations in order that some of the companies feel that they can make money from new users (whether short term or long term preparations).

I don't see the rise you are talking about.

I think the rise is more noticable if you zoom out a bit.  If you are only looking in shorter periods, then sometimes the rise is more difficult to see.  And, like I already asserted, I doubt that bitcoin is really losing any kind of meaningful market share to altcoins.... Bitcoin remains the most secure and trusted of the crytpos, and the biggest threat to mainstream institutions because it can really stand on its own and to withstand various kinds of hacking attacks....

Many of the alts still have to experience hack attempts, and they are not much of a target when they have relatively lower market caps...

You're not good at distributing hopium, JJG =(

yeah.. sorry about that. 

I try not to get too caught up in creating false expectations, because in the short-term I don't really have much of a clue about price etcetera, and I just keep buying as the price goes down and selling as the price goes up while continuing to attempt to accumulate more and more BTC with the funds that I had already invested.  So, yeah sure, I do better if the price goes up, but I am not really in the business of creating false expectations... ... And, accordingly, maybe I was not the best person in the world to respond to your earlier request for "hopium."

For the theme of hopium, you know I really like the below-linked thread, even though Fakoury has not been posting too much lately in that thread (also, it seems that during times of bitcoin price stagnation, there is a whole hell of a lot less  bitcoin posting in general)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1166428.0

About the comparison between fiat and regular banking VS BTC and blockchain technology, of course I do not think the former is an alternative to the latter, concerning secure decentralized immutability. If I would, I wouldn't ask for more hopium. I'm disappointed that this great technology develops so slow, especially in the area of making it useable IRL. BTC should be more then a toy for forum libertarians and Chinese speculators.

I think that currently bitcoin is a lot more than what it is painted out to be, and if folks know about bitcoin (especially in the remittance world), they can really profit from saving fees... and yeah, as long as the foundation of bitcoin remains strong, various storage of value and remittance and capital control avoidance areas of bitcoin are going to continue to grow and to put upwards pressures on the price.

Thankfully some trolls have come out to play, that's usually a good sign, so thanks for that small amount of hopium.

I think that it cuts both ways, and surely sometimes the trolls are just nuisances and maybe even somewhat effective in despiriting people in their disinformation campaigns. 

VC George

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

Carpe noctem

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 07:53:09 PM

12 blocks and I'm still waiting to be included in a block.  Mempool 7-8mb  blocksize 1mb

Guess I'll wait  Tongue
I had the same problem earlier which gave me an idea. Well since now only the sender can pay the fee the receiver has to wait until the transaction is added in a block, but what if the receiver could [optionally] add up to that fee so the transaction can move faster if needed. Please correct me if am wrong but i find this cool bcs both parties can actually get involved when things get slow.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 08:02:15 PM

Guess I'll wait  Tongue

This time I can confirm that I am in the same boat.  I am not going to worry yet, but my transaction says unconfirmed 59 minutes.  I am not sure how many blocks that is, but maybe very similar to yours, Nioc?

Mine was sent from a mycellium wallet to a blockchain.info wallet, and the fee was about .0008 ($.48).  Usually, the fee that I pay is not that high, so that is a bit interesting for me to discover.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 08:32:24 PM

Guess I'll wait  Tongue

This time I can confirm that I am in the same boat.  I am not going to worry yet, but my transaction says unconfirmed 59 minutes.  I am not sure how many blocks that is, but maybe very similar to yours, Nioc?

Mine was sent from a mycellium wallet to a blockchain.info wallet, and the fee was about .0008 ($.48).  Usually, the fee that I pay is not that high, so that is a bit interesting for me to discover.

There was a spike in the legitimate transactions (hi Alex  Smiley ) that I guess our wallets didn't adjust to.  The fee that I paid had always gotten my transaction included in the 1st or 2nd block.  The thing is that this transaction was for a service that messed up and so I requested a refund and yet my tx had not even gotten to them.  First confirmation took 13 blocks.  I know it has to be done correctly and honestly I cannot be the judge of what correctly is but if capacity is now an issue occasionally for legitimate transactions, it seems that there can be little room for growth going forward till it is addressed. 
Andre#

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 08:33:58 PM

Guess I'll wait  Tongue

Next, JJG is gonna say blocks are full? Oh my...!
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 09:23:11 PM

There was a spike in the legitimate transactions (hi Alex  Smiley ) that I guess our wallets didn't adjust to.

If it's marginal, and you are in a hurry, it's always risky to put it near the limit. You need to outbid others for priority and the wallet software is probably not doing a good job at that (?).

The fees that I've been seeing over at https://bitcoinfees.21.co/ have been around 0.08$ / 0.09$... In busy times I've seen 16+ cents. In general there doesn't seem to be many unconfirmed txs in the segment past that (81+ satoshi/byte).

nioc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 09:50:00 PM

There was a spike in the legitimate transactions (hi Alex  Smiley ) that I guess our wallets didn't adjust to.

If it's marginal, and you are in a hurry, it's always risky to put it near the limit. You need to outbid others for priority and the wallet software is probably not doing a good job at that (?).

The fees that I've been seeing over at https://bitcoinfees.21.co/ have been around 0.08$ / 0.09$... In busy times I've seen 16+ cents. In general there doesn't seem to be many unconfirmed txs in the segment past that (81+ satoshi/byte).

Yes wallets don't seem to adjust too well.  It was a rushed tx and I did not check bitcoinfees only blocksize which is of limited use when they are full.  This time it was ~8 cents and at times it has gone >20 cents when much less would do.  Still being that an 8 cent transaction fee took 13 full blocks for it's first confirmation meant that likely very few if any of those transactions were spam and hence why I evoked your name Grin
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:32:00 PM

[edited out]

How can you determine if a spike is coming from "legitimate transactions" or otherwise?  And, what would be the reason for such a "spike" if it were occurring at this time?  There does not seem to be a whole hellava lot going on in the bitcoin space at the moment.  Are people fleeing the stock market, or what?

The fee that I paid had always gotten my transaction included in the 1st or 2nd block.  The thing is that this transaction was for a service that messed up and so I requested a refund and yet my tx had not even gotten to them.  First confirmation took 13 blocks. 

All sounds valid, and sometimes there are decent reasons in which you would prefer a transaction to go through and to receive a sufficient number of confirmations (usually need 3 in order to be able to use the receive amount) more quickly than usual.

I know it has to be done correctly and honestly I cannot be the judge of what correctly is but if capacity is now an issue occasionally for legitimate transactions, it seems that there can be little room for growth going forward till it is addressed. 

O.k.  You seem to already be predisposed to such a conclusion that bitcoin is broken because sometimes transactions take a long time to go through.  You have written about several such personal experiences, and I have engaged with you about a few of those personal experiences.  Frequently, my response had been that you seem to be expecting too much too soon, and the reality of the matter is that bitcoin is providing a set of features that remains a bit different from other various centralized services, and in order to continue to develop and to make progress and to add features, these kinds of updates take time to develop and to vet (especially in a decentralized system such as bitcoin). 

You seem to keep concluding that bitcoin is broken, and it needs to do more and to do that "more" more quickly, and really it seems that a better approach, especially with increasing levels of experience with bitcoin is to attempt to learn from your experiences and to adjust your expectations and if there are better vehicles available to accomplish your objectives, then to use those better vehicles instead of bitcoin.  Otherwise, we should reasonably expect that any bitcoin transaction could take anywhere between 10 minutes and a few hours to go through (even though it will show up as "pending" within a few seconds of submitting).

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:41:29 PM

Guess I'll wait  Tongue

Next, JJG is gonna say blocks are full? Oh my...!

Yeah, right....

Even you likely realize that what you are saying is not going to be correct.  I don't mind factually sharing my experiences when they happen to relate to the situation being discussed, and in this case, coincidentally, I had made a transaction around the same time as Nioc, and so after his post, I went to my bitcoin wallet because I wanted to reply that he was "full of shit", but when I arrived at my wallet, to my surprise, I found out that I was having a very similar experience.  In the end, my coincidental transaction took longer than expected and cost me more than I had expected. 

In the above described situation, my first confirmation ended up taking 69 minutes, and since I need 3 confirmations to be able to use the coins in the transaction, it seemed to have taken about 100 minutes in total before I had the sufficient quantity of 3 confirmations in order that I was able to have access to the coins.

In most cases, I engage in my bitcoin transactions in such a way that I have a bit of a floating balance and I am not pressuring myself to move coins again soon after receiving them.  I suppose that there could be circumstances in which I would like to move the coins as soon as possible, but for the most part, I am able to structure my transactions in which I do not feel those kinds of pressures (or have those kinds of expectations).
VC George

Carpe noctem

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:49:11 PM

Problems are keeping up...
https://blockchain.info/tx/785cc496c9bd7c61a0d42b278134259cb5735fc7a4807552430b74af4cce8c96
I mean is it normal for a transaction to take so long, even if the blocks are clogged or something?
And if so since this transaction is actually a payment from a hot wallet I think am a bit screwed if it
never gets confirmed.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:57:26 PM

https://blockchain.info/tx/785cc496c9bd7c61a0d42b278134259cb5735fc7a4807552430b74af4cce8c96
I mean is it normal for a transaction to take so long, even if the blocks are clogged or something?
And if so since this transaction is actually a payment from a hot wallet I think am a bit screwed if it
never gets confirmed.

How long has it been? it appears to have been set at "medium priority" with a fee of less than $.02 and a quantity of about $66.  Projected to confirm in 6 blocks, but even if it takes a day, are you in a rush?  Why would you assume that you are going to lose the money, unless it has been more than a day?
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:14:11 AM

never gets confirmed.

How long has it been? it appears to have been set at "medium priority" with a fee of less than $.02 and a quantity of about $66.  Projected to confirm in 6 blocks, but even if it takes a day, are you in a rush?  Why would you assume that you are going to lose the money, unless it has been more than a day?

Pay no attention to JayJuanGee, nor the blockchain.info "medium". You paid 10 satoshi per byte, which is indeed quite low for inclusion in the congestion the network faces these days. The $66 value, or whatev, has absolutely zero impact on the priority of a transaction, JJG might be surprised to hear.

https://tradeblock.com/bitcoin/tx/785cc496c9bd7c61a0d42b278134259cb5735fc7a4807552430b74af4cce8c96

And here for the fullness of blocks, and their avg sat/byte fees.

https://tradeblock.com/bitcoin/

I did a big multi KB one at 9 sat/byte recently and it eventually went through. Mined by antpool.  That was a weekend, tho, iirc. 
VC George

Carpe noctem

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:15:18 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2016, 10:42:52 AM by VC George

never gets confirmed.

How long has it been? it appears to have been set at "medium priority" with a fee of less than $.02 and a quantity of about $66.  Projected to confirm in 6 blocks, but even if it takes a day, are you in a rush?  Why would you assume that you are going to lose the money, unless it has been more than a day?

Nah it's bcs it didn't happen before [to me] the transaction was done like ~9 hours ago and the payment is from purse. And yeah since it spiked the fees went up and their system didn't re-adjust?
I hope I could adjust the fee like in electrum or blockchain wallets, no matter what though i have cash and other coins so even if it takes 3 days I'll be fine Smiley
Ty for the answer

Edit: @beastmodeBiscuitGravy you're breaking my heart since I pay more than usual in fees when am the sender xD I always thought that the fees amount is what grands you a faster way into blocks

Edit 2: All's fine, woke up under 72 confirmations, guess that blocks are unclogged again Smiley
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:24:06 AM

The tx has 1 cent in fees. It's in the veeeery low-end in terms of priority.
Pages: « 1 ... 15812 15813 15814 15815 15816 15817 15818 15819 15820 15821 15822 15823 15824 15825 15826 15827 15828 15829 15830 15831 15832 15833 15834 15835 15836 15837 15838 15839 15840 15841 15842 15843 15844 15845 15846 15847 15848 15849 15850 15851 15852 15853 15854 15855 15856 15857 15858 15859 15860 15861 [15862] 15863 15864 15865 15866 15867 15868 15869 15870 15871 15872 15873 15874 15875 15876 15877 15878 15879 15880 15881 15882 15883 15884 15885 15886 15887 15888 15889 15890 15891 15892 15893 15894 15895 15896 15897 15898 15899 15900 15901 15902 15903 15904 15905 15906 15907 15908 15909 15910 15911 15912 ... 33478 »
  Print  

Jump to: