April 26, 2024, 04:19:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 33303 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368233 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:01:23 PM

Seems the love of money does trump hardcore principles after all.  Hmmm....imagine that.

I don't think anyone seriously ever believed that, did they?

Anyway, I went through the poker stuff years ago and the adult biz before that. The government rattles it's sabers and takes down a few big players and then moves on to something else. They will never stop people from doing the things they want to do, they just make it require a little more creativity, e.g. US residents are still playing online poker.

That said, knowing what a hard on the Feds have for online gambling, I can't believe evoorhees has been so public about his ownership of that site. Seems reckless.

All of this is interesting for those of us trading, but I don't think it has anything to do with the success of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is not poker.  Poker does not require mass adoption.  Bitcoin is a currency commodity and thus requires mass adoption to be successful and actually become a real currency.  This is going to be the easiest takedown in the history of the USG.  Once Bitcoin is carved in the minds of Americans as illegal, risky, funding of terrorism, etc...the brand is dead.  The same business' that may currently be considering adoption will flee forever.  And don't let a real terror organization get linked to Bitcoin.  It will be unpatriotic to support Bitcoin, in the minds of Americans.

Money is mass adopted already. There is a HUGE need for quicker and cheaper transactions. There is a huge need for a cheaper paypal and a way of sending money Western Union style but easier and cheaper. There are so many opportunities.

You see, we don't even need mass adoption to be successful. We need less than 1% adoption. We are at a fraction of a percentage as is and the price is already over $100 a share. That is not a coincidence. It is not a coincidence that some big VC's are saying BTC is HUGE. We can see, you can only fear...

Further, this isn't about America. There is the rest of the world. It would be easier to go at it with America, but certainly we don't have to.

Where do you get off on the bull statements time and time again you manipulator you? Most money laundering and drug trades occur in dollars, not bitcoins. The money laundering occurs via big big banks as it is in the billions of dollars. Bitcoin is not in that arena.

People can see you as a phony because you are so one sided and non stop at that. But that is ok, everyone needs help at times.
There is a reason we are already quite successful, you might want to spend some of your time there as well and not make your one sided attacks so obvious.

The truth about VC's is most of them are morons.  They throw other peoples money around and just hope something sticks.  So, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the pocket change that's come in so far.  If they really thought it was "HUGE", you'd see $100 million to $1 Billion plus coming in.  We're no where near those numbers as VC's are accountable to their investors so it actually speaks to their reluctance more than their bullishness.  

Maybe this is just the arrogant American in me but, without America, Bitcoin is little more than frequent flyer miles.  We set the trends, we say what's hot and what's not.  Russia?  When's the last time anything "cool" ever came out of Russia besides snow?   Grin  

We don't need Bitcoin, Bitcoin needs us and with Ripple, it's going to all be possible.

VC's are often the creme of the crop when it comes to Capitalism. Now, I'm not pro capitalism, at least not in its current rendition, but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
They are however careful with their money. I was there in the early days of the internet and I saw the power early on. I see THE SAME SORT OF DISTURBANCE regarding power with bitcoin (and cryptocurrencies). It isn't about the money, it is about the change.

Look, I don't see BTC being out of America any time soon. It serves a function, clearly. All I said was it probably goes forward with or without America, especially since many countries (e.g. China) are a bit too heavily vested in dollars. Read into that one.

No, we do need BTC. That much is clear. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Pay Pal, Western Union - they are all threatened (in part) by BTC. They are not threatened in the loaning aspect of their businesses (nor are banks imo, at least not yet). But to be able to transmit money for essentially free, is HUGE.

Again, the way you overlook these things is really disturbing. You see nothing good. Just bad. Just look at your posts here. You are one depressing individual - which I'm sure is your intent. But love will save ya....
Ripple. LOL - eheeheh, good one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 04:01:48 PM

And regarding "all the cools things come from US": make a poll among citizens of all nationalities and ask which is the country doing the uncoolest things ATM. You will surprised by the results. Hint: Guantanamo, drones and so on.
I think the top uncool things would probably go to the middle east.
Yes, you are right. Israel certainly shares the #1 position on that uncool list together with the USA.
crumbcake

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:03:17 PM

Wow,  he actually wrote that. It's clear to me the guy suffers from a textbook "delusion of grandeur", and I'm sure half of this ramblings are just delusions and lies.

As Blitz said, "a crazy guy going nuts"

Honestly, I feel sorry for Rontus (his employee)

I doubt anyone went. I doubt Rontus exists. The supernode conference drama sounded like he took his rejected James Bond script (where he plays James Bond) and he modified it for the supernode conference. At the very least he's autistic. He's entertainment, like a tabloid. You don't really take it seriously.

I don't take him seriously but I do like reading his posts. It's like a man getting eaten by an alligator, you don't want to see it but it's hard to tear your eyes away.

Ever since he posted "I'm detained in a psych ward," i get a little sad when his name shows up.  Would probably feel worse if i bought the psych ward story at face value Huh
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:08:15 PM

@coinseeker... you're trying too hard.

Come clean then, have you shorted BTC? Might be easier for you to just give up now and liquidate your position early. It'll be a lot less stressful for you in the long run.

He's been here 3 weeks. His wife only let him buy 1.5 BTC. He doesn't even know what shorting is.

Wife? They let 13 year olds get married now? Maybe his cousin or something...
Pzi4nk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Move over clarinets, I'm getting on the band wagon

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:09:59 PM

Yes, you can transfer bitcoin for free but you still pay a fee to convert it into fiat currency. Once more businesses accept bitcoin as payment, then PayPal and Western Union will be concerned.
Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:11:40 PM

"I am currently detained in a psychiatric institution in Helsinki, because I need rest. My physical well-being is taken care of."

I thought you made that up at first. Damn

I've seen fictitious personalties shine bright and burn out on other boards, but reptile might have the record for flamboyance and melodrama. Good show!

Edit: Do psych wards have wifi?  Smiley
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:15:05 PM

Wow,  he actually wrote that. It's clear to me the guy suffers from a textbook "delusion of grandeur", and I'm sure half of this ramblings are just delusions and lies.

I doubt anyone went. I doubt Rontus exists. The supernode conference drama sounded like he took his rejected James Bond script (where he plays James Bond) and he modified it for the supernode conference. At the very least he's autistic. He's entertainment, like a tabloid. You don't really take it seriously.

I don't take him seriously but I do like reading his posts. It's like a man getting eaten by an alligator, you don't want to see it but it's hard to tear your eyes away.

Ever since he posted "I'm detained in a psych ward," i get a little sad when his name shows up.  Would probably feel worse if i bought the psych ward story at face value Huh

Yes, that sucks, although it's not exactly surprising. Things seemed to be getting worse as time went on -- the forum audience can't help. We should send a get-well card -- but him and his family would be far better off if he left this place for good.

I'm still not sure if anyone really knew what a supernode was... but I hear worse make-believe in business most days.
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:24:23 PM

Yes, that sucks, although it's not exactly surprising. Things seemed to be getting worse as time went on -- the forum audience can't help. We should send a get-well card -- but him and his family would be far better off if he left this place for good.

I'm still not sure if anyone really knew what a supernode was... but I hear worse make-believe in business most days.

It's hard not to have a laugh at the expense of someone as overtly eccentric as that, but I'd rather not see anyone lose the plot or get ripped off.  Hopefully in time he'll be okay
Ivanhoe

Activity: 841
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:28:28 PM

Probably just a burn-out, which is not a thing to be ashamed of when you lose such an amount of money. In 1 or 2 months we will have the old rpetila back. In the meanwhile i wish him the best, if he reads this of course.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 04:30:52 PM

Probably just a burn-out, which is not a thing to be ashamed of when you lose such an amount of money. In 1 or 2 months we will have the old rpetila back. In the meanwhile i wish him the best, if he reads this of course.

If you read this: Yes it's true there really is a goverment conspiracy against you. And your hospitalization is part of it.

scnr
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:31:02 PM

+1
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:31:54 PM

I'm still not sure if anyone really knew what a supernode was...

Here is my take on a supernode ...

Imagine a network of precious metal dealers operating in every major city who now offer their hard-money customers a deflationary store of value - bitcoin.

A supernode is such a dealer who also operates a bitcoin network node that can independently mine bitcoins, with or without a pool.

The supernode network collectively fixes prices periodically with a long settlement period, routing orders among themselves and to other exchanges, e.g. Mt. Gox, Bitstamp.

The supernode network collectively takes other various measures to robustly operate in the face of DDoS, government constraints, etc.
crumbcake

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:48:51 PM

Imagine a network of precious metal dealers operating in every major city who now offer their hard-money customers a deflationary store of value - bitcoin.

A supernode is such a dealer who also operates a bitcoin network node that can independently mine bitcoins, with or without a pool.

The supernode network collectively fixes prices periodically with a long settlement period, routing orders among themselves and to other exchanges, e.g. Mt. Gox, Bitstamp.

The supernode network collectively takes other various measures to robustly operate in the face of DDoS, government constraints, etc.

Pzi4nk

Activity: 70

Move over clarinets, I'm getting on the band wagon

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:55:53 PM

Thanks for that explanation, I was wondering about that. (I just thought it was someone with a ton of BTC.)
Quantum_Negatum

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:21:32 PM

Silence from Gox re DHS, eerily low volume and repeated bounces off what is probably an invisible mega wall at $114...
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:23:51 PM

Silence from Gox re DHS, low volume and repeated bounces off what is probably an invisible mega wall at $114...

And then there's this :

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1eg51m/bitpay_raises_2_million_led_by_founders_fund/

Three Paypal founders investing in BitPay !
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686

Stephen Reed

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:24:35 PM

The sideways trend of the past two days has been steadily resisted at $116, while the trading range has narrowed.

dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 05:58:44 PM

Silence from Gox re DHS, low volume and repeated bounces off what is probably an invisible mega wall at $114...

And then there's this :

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1eg51m/bitpay_raises_2_million_led_by_founders_fund/

This is really huge. So I guess we can dismiss PayPal as enemy completely. Would be glad. I know John Donahoe's statement.

[tinfoilhead]

Peter Andreas Thiel (born October 11, 1967) is a German-born American entrepreneur, venture capitalist, and hedge fund manager. Thiel co-founded PayPal with Max Levchin and served as its CEO. He currently serves as president of Clarium Capital, a global macro hedge fund with under $700 million in assets under management; a managing partner in The Founders Fund.

Thiel founded Palantir Technologies funded by the CIA's venture capital arm In-Q-Tel.

[/tinfoilhead]
fitty

Activity: 728

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 06:08:48 PM

And then there's this :

This is really huge. So I guess we can dismiss PayPal as enemy completely. Would be glad. I know John Donahoe's statement.

[tinfoilhead]

Peter Andreas Thiel (born October 11, 1967) is a German-born American entrepreneur, venture capitalist, and hedge fund manager. Thiel co-founded PayPal with Max Levchin and served as its CEO. He currently serves as president of Clarium Capital, a global macro hedge fund with under $700 million in assets under management; a managing partner in The Founders Fund.

Thiel founded Palantir Technologies funded by the CIA's venture capital arm In-Q-Tel.

[/tinfoilhead]

Those guys don't even work at Paypal. It has nothing to do with Paypal.

It's just saying, "Hey these guys who founded Paypal, are now investing in Bitpay!". http://www.foundersfund.com is the group that invested, which the 3 are part of.
michaelGedi

Activity: 364

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 06:09:41 PM

Image is everything and Bitcoin is losing that battle.

You've been here 3 weeks. Yesterday you informed us Bitcoin was illegal in almost every country. You've stopped quoting the Coinage Act of 1965? There's a reason your wife only let you buy 1.5 BTC, you're autistic and prone to wild flights of fancy.

You think this bump in the road is bad? Of course you do, you've been here 3 weeks. This was nothing.

My favorite Bitcoin growing pain was back in 2011 when Something Awful hacked the forum and trolled us with CosbyCoin. I suggest you slow down a little, stop educating us on how Bitcoin, Bitcoin PR, legal system, and life in general work. Take some notes, you'll learn a few things. Get back to us in a few months.

sorry to dig up a post several pages back but just catching up on today and:

A - thanks for this post, the cosby coin troll history has totally made my day Smiley
B - thanks for this post, newcomers like myself can benefit from this advice/reality check... someone talking with authority does not necessarily have authority (or if they do, maybe not  relevant experience to back it up)
C - Personally I might go back to lurking in order to "take some notes" and "learn a few things" rather than engage so much... it's probably more productive!
Pages: « 1 ... 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 33303 »
  Print  

Jump to: