May 05, 2024, 03:42:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 18786 18787 18788 18789 18790 18791 18792 18793 18794 18795 18796 18797 18798 18799 18800 18801 18802 18803 18804 18805 18806 18807 18808 18809 18810 18811 18812 18813 18814 18815 18816 18817 18818 18819 18820 18821 18822 18823 18824 18825 18826 18827 18828 18829 18830 18831 18832 18833 18834 18835 [18836] 18837 18838 18839 18840 18841 18842 18843 18844 18845 18846 18847 18848 18849 18850 18851 18852 18853 18854 18855 18856 18857 18858 18859 18860 18861 18862 18863 18864 18865 18866 18867 18868 18869 18870 18871 18872 18873 18874 18875 18876 18877 18878 18879 18880 18881 18882 18883 18884 18885 18886 ... 33324 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372416 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 10:53:12 PM

Bitcoin is more safe to hold than gold. Gold you can lost or be robbed.

And you don't have to worry about who made it, how it was made, or it's resell value.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 10:53:48 PM

R0ach actually favors silver over gold. So the Tungsten argument is only going to be dismissed.

Alright. Let me go off and do some research. I want to keep the irritation up.
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 10:55:04 PM

Haha, so now the trolls are in an uproar because of the thought that Bitcoin maximalists won't even bother to hold altcoins because they know that such can be traded for as needed for day-to-day transactions?

Well they should be. Because Bitcoin is digital gold, that only has value that continues to increase because people to choose to hold it long term and not spend it.

Altcoins, not so much.

Trading BTC to altcoins "as needed for day-to-day transactions" is pointless. You will incur in more fees (exchanging, txs, etc) instead of avoiding them. At least until Bitcoin deploys LN and/or increase blocksize... but then it wouldn't be needed to use any altcoin.

So, in some way, this situation is forcing us to hold a higher percentage of altcoins than what we would be initially willing/comfortable to. Maybe that is even good for some people, or they think so because of the shorter term higher gains we have involuntarily experienced... but I don't think that is sustainable in the longer run.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 10:57:12 PM

cue ominous metal riff
Samplex

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 10:58:45 PM

Bitcoin is more safe to hold than gold. Gold you can lost or be robbed.

With bitcoin you can forget/lose you address or send to different address that you have wanted to, hmmm? Bitcoin is easier in a sence that with gold its like staying in one place - its hard to move it.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:02:21 PM

Why is everyone deliberately ignoring the bitmain mining fud?

Everyone is fine with the CPC controlling the network in the future?!
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:03:06 PM

R0ach actually favors silver over gold. So the Tungsten argument is only going to be dismissed.

Just doing the calculation of how much size and weight one would need to manage for storing a few million $ in silver is more than enough to dismiss the idea of storing "value" in it.
realr0ach

Activity: 924
Merit: 311

#TheGoyimKnow

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:03:08 PM

Save your time, it's harder to fake both silver and platinum than gold because tungsten is very close to gold in the specific gravity test.  You could create alloys of other metals to try and accomplish the same thing in silver, but silver has unique characteristics that gold doesn't have to give the fakes away.  All of this is completely meaningless though, as people use things like Xray machines to test them nowadays and the fakes aren't going to pass no matter what.

The common man can easily test silver.  There are not that many coin and round makers.  The simple act of pinging one of these coins will give off a unique sound wave you can either tell by ear, or you can hold it up to the microphone of a cellphone and your free cellphone app will tell you if the resonance matches and if it's real or not.  A fake silver alloy will not pass.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10212

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:03:24 PM

Just found a stack of paper wallets from 2015. I was giving away 0.05 Bitcoi in each and these were the leftovers. It’s a nice find I didn’t know I had it....

Yep.   All of a sudden scrap amounts become real money.

It is kind of bullshit, though, regarding how some of these people treat their gifts, and I have a few war stories regarding that too.

My friend recently contacted me, and told me that he was looking for his son's $40 bitcoin transaction that I had sent for a graduation gift.

Mind you I sent $40 to the son and $10 to the dad, in order that they could, perhaps, learn together about bitcoin.  The price was around $380 at the time... So, a couple of times a year, I would remind him about bitcoin and ask him if he had retrieved the bitcoin... did it through Circle....  He said, yeah, yeah, yeah, he still has access to the e-mail account, and just a few weeks ago when he contacted me, he asked me if I could recover the coins because he said that he did not have access to the e-mail accounts.  The son's value was something like $1,740 and the dads value was something like $440.  Crazy.  I think that they lost everything, unless they can regain access to their earlier e-mails, perhaps there is a way... I think that it was a private domain e-mail that their family administrator allowed the domain to expire.
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:04:56 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2017, 11:18:20 PM by Torque

Haha, so now the trolls are in an uproar because of the thought that Bitcoin maximalists won't even bother to hold altcoins because they know that such can be traded for as needed for day-to-day transactions?

Well they should be. Because Bitcoin is digital gold, that only has value that continues to increase because people to choose to hold it long term and not spend it.

Altcoins, not so much.

Trading BTC to altcoins "as needed for day-to-day transactions" is pointless. You will incur in more fees (exchanging, txs, etc) instead of avoiding them. At least until Bitcoin deploys LN and/or increase blocksize... but then it wouldn't be needed to use any altcoin.

So, in some way, this situation is forcing us to hold a higher percentage of altcoins than what we would be initially willing/comfortable to. Maybe that is even good for some people, or they think so because of the shorter term higher gains we have involuntarily experienced... but I don't think that is sustainable in the longer run.

When I first heard about Bitcoin, I fully bought in to the whole "digital currency is better in every way to fiat for online purchases" line. Only problem though, is that unless you are trying to buy something illegal, it really isn't better than fiat.

In the past 4 years, I've never come across a single scenario where going through the hassle of buying Bitcoin, getting charged the fee, waiting 3-4 days for it, then spending it online for something, transaction fee, waiting for confirmation, was in any way better or faster than just using a credit card or online bank account. The fee for purchasing the bitcoin + the waiting + the fee for the spending transaction + the time for confirmation just never outweighed just spending my fiat directly in the first place.

Truly, something like Lightning Network is the ONLY way Bitcoin is ever going to have a chance to compete with worldwide fiat transaction systems by giving people an INCENTIVE to buy bitcoin for that purpose. Meaning that it actually HAS TO BE better and faster than using fiat systems online for spending. Even then, I just don't see most people buying bitcoin for the purpose of turning around and immediately spending it online. I just don't.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10212

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:05:58 PM

No one left any positive comments for bitcoin judas.  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaN3jYQxmQU

Do you not see anything wrong with this picture?  "CEO of bitcoin.com" vs "CEO of blockstream.com".  That sure as fuck does not sound "decentralized" to me.  It sounds like corporate special interest groups trying to seize some type of public good and exploit it for their own interests.  It also reminds me of African derived banana republics like the nation of Haiti, a completely powerless nation whose military probably serves no purpose at all, but every low level negro in the entire country has given themselves the title of general.

Blockstream.com is not bitcoin, you fucking nutjob!!!!   Roll Eyes
Neo_Coin

Activity: 1204
Merit: 293

"Be Your Own Bank"

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:07:59 PM

Altcoins, not so much.

bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:08:14 PM

Save your time, it's harder to fake both silver and platinum than gold because tungsten is very close to gold in the specific gravity test.  You could create alloys of other metals to try and accomplish the same thing in silver, but silver has unique characteristics that gold doesn't have to give the fakes away.  All of this is completely meaningless though, as people use things like Xray machines to test them nowadays and the fakes aren't going to pass no matter what.

The common man can easily test silver.  There are not that many coin and round makers.  The simple act of pinging one of these coins will give off a unique sound wave you can either tell by ear, or you can hold it up to the microphone of a cellphone and your free cellphone app will tell you if the resonance matches and if it's real or not.  A fake silver alloy will not pass.

Finally something interesting. May I know the name of that free app I can use with my phone? Have you used it and can vouch for its accuracy?
I would be willing to do some tests RIGHT NOW. What is the name of the app again?
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:08:36 PM

Altcoins, not so much.

When I first heard about Bitcoin, I fully bought in to the whole "digital currency is better in every way to fiat for online purchases" line. Only problem though, is that unless you are trying to buy something illegal, it really isn't better than fiat.

In the past 4 years, I've never come across a single scenario where going through the hassle of buying Bitcoin, getting charged the fee, waiting 3-4 days for it, then spending it online for something, was in any way better or faster than just using a credit card or online bank account. The fee for purchasing the bitcoin + the waiting + the fee for the spending transaction + the time for confirmation just never outweighed just spending my fiat directly in the first place.

Truly, something like Lightning Network is the ONLY way Bitcoin is ever going to have a chance to compete with worldwide fiat transaction systems by giving people an INCENTIVE to buy bitcoin for that purpose. Even then, I just don't see most people buying bitcoin for the purpose of turning around and immediately spending it online. I just don't.

I disagree, I like bitcoin for large transactions and the minor transactions to be done on the side

RSK is the first open-source smart contract platform with a 2-way peg to Bitcoin that also rewards the Bitcoin miners via merge-mining, allowing them to actively participate in the Smart Contract revolution. RSK goal is to add value and functionality to the Bitcoin ecosystem by enabling smart-contracts, near instant payments and higher-scalability.

criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:11:02 PM

Altcoins, not so much.

In the past 4 years, I've never come across a single scenario where going through the hassle of buying Bitcoin, getting charged the fee, waiting 3-4 days for it, then spending it online for something, was in any way better or faster than just using a credit card or online bank account. The fee for purchasing the bitcoin + the waiting + the fee for the spending transaction + the time for confirmation just never outweighed just spending my fiat directly in the first place.

Truly, something like Lightning Network is the ONLY way Bitcoin is ever going to have a chance to compete with worldwide fiat transaction systems by giving people an INCENTIVE to buy bitcoin for that purpose. Even then, I just don't see most people buying bitcoin for the purpose of turning around and immediately spending it online. I just don't.

I disagree, I like bitcoin for large transactions and the minor transactions to be done on the side

RSK is the first open-source smart contract platform with a 2-way peg to Bitcoin that also rewards the Bitcoin miners via merge-mining, allowing them to actively participate in the Smart Contract revolution. RSK goal is to add value and functionality to the Bitcoin ecosystem by enabling smart-contracts, near instant payments and higher-scalability.

Before trying random stuff i would rather go with vitaliks Plasma chain.
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:12:47 PM

Instead of being like like everyone else, please specifically list all the e-Commerce transactions that you have been doing with bitcoin. As well as the exact ratio of bitcoin transactions vs. fiat transactions you do for legal spending per month.

Otherwise, these blanket statements are just representing complete fallacy.
realr0ach

Activity: 924
Merit: 311

#TheGoyimKnow

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:15:45 PM

Finally something interesting. May I know the name of that free app I can use with my phone? Have you used it and can vouch for its accuracy?
I would be willing to do some tests RIGHT NOW. What is the name of the app again?

Yea, I've used them and there's not just one app, there's lots of them.  Some of them are free, some you have to pay for.  Just use google, they're easy to find.  I don't own a cellphone.  If I want someone to find me, I'll find them.
Neo_Coin

Activity: 1204
Merit: 293

"Be Your Own Bank"

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:22:31 PM

bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:22:53 PM

Yea, I've used them and there's not just one app, there's lots of them.  Some of them are free, some you have to pay for.  Just use google, they're easy to find.  I don't own a cellphone.  If I want someone to find me, I'll find them.

OMG! Let me some time to recover from that statement and I will get back to you.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:24:38 PM

I don't own a cellphone.

As if we needed any more proof that Roach is the man we need for the 20th century.
Pages: « 1 ... 18786 18787 18788 18789 18790 18791 18792 18793 18794 18795 18796 18797 18798 18799 18800 18801 18802 18803 18804 18805 18806 18807 18808 18809 18810 18811 18812 18813 18814 18815 18816 18817 18818 18819 18820 18821 18822 18823 18824 18825 18826 18827 18828 18829 18830 18831 18832 18833 18834 18835 [18836] 18837 18838 18839 18840 18841 18842 18843 18844 18845 18846 18847 18848 18849 18850 18851 18852 18853 18854 18855 18856 18857 18858 18859 18860 18861 18862 18863 18864 18865 18866 18867 18868 18869 18870 18871 18872 18873 18874 18875 18876 18877 18878 18879 18880 18881 18882 18883 18884 18885 18886 ... 33324 »
  Print  

Jump to: