Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 11:09:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool!  (Read 123682 times)
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 01:43:47 AM

Payouts are a lot slower now than back in the day when this pool was over 1000 GH/s. In the end it doesn't really matter but sometimes it's agonizing to see payment trickling out. BT said some time back he would give a decent warning before closing down but I have to wonder what would happen at that point. Presumably the last few remaining miners here could be left with balances due (and no mining to payout) unless someone is going to donate/mine to clear them.

This was always my best paying pool and my choice would be to keep mining here but I only use it as backup now. Most other pools I've tried, even if they payout as well, give me high reject rates. I don't know why that is - if it's cheating or not, but the only pool that has consistently given me low rejects is BTCGuild. So I mine there because I figure it's better to be up front with a 5% fee than sneaky with high rejects.

I see now MtRed is going No-Fee so that may be worth trying again.

Electricbees

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 11:19:32 PM

I really miss mining at this pool...

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 11:34:48 PM

Turning that buffer around Cheesy
Electricbees

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 11:43:40 PM

If only it were that easy... But unless BT starts maintaining the pool again, I won't have the same kind of trust in the pool as I used to.

AND, that negative buffer is huge! Tongue

Donations are welcome!
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 12:14:07 AM

If only it were that easy... But unless BT starts maintaining the pool again, I won't have the same kind of trust in the pool as I used to.

AND, that negative buffer is huge! Tongue

In full swing, we were finding like, 3-4 blocks a day and at one point, I am pretty sure the buffer was well over 2000. A run like that could turn it around pretty quick. Makes it a little harder with only a third of the hashing power we had then, but it's possible.
m3sSh3aD

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 03:36:38 PM

Unfortunatly my efforts are at abc now as the stales/invalids are just getting too high with no matanence here Sad Its a shame, i really liked this pool too. Newer and better idea's always come along though and i quite like getting payed for invalids and stales so although its not what i want to say, ARS just isnt at the top of the pile for good pools anymore. Thats a bit harsh, its a good pool still, just not up the top where it once stood tall Smiley

Swear im in top 60 (blue waffle) on lifetime everything in ARS too Sad be a shame see that get knocked off the board too. Ill always have my miner default here if abc goes down at any point and if things get better for BT you never know, I may be back Smiley

Peace
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 06:17:18 PM

Unfortunatly my efforts are at abc now as the stales/invalids are just getting too high with no matanence here Sad Its a shame, i really liked this pool too. Newer and better idea's always come along though and i quite like getting payed for invalids and stales so although its not what i want to say, ARS just isnt at the top of the pile for good pools anymore. Thats a bit harsh, its a good pool still, just not up the top where it once stood tall Smiley

Swear im in top 60 (blue waffle) on lifetime everything in ARS too Sad be a shame see that get knocked off the board too. Ill always have my miner default here if abc goes down at any point and if things get better for BT you never know, I may be back Smiley

Peace

ARS is still cheaper taking everything into account.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
m3sSh3aD

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 06:41:13 PM

Peace

ARS is still cheaper taking everything into account.

After a few days i have to disagree. I'm getting about 0.1-0.2 BTC extra every 2 days. thats about .5 a week conservatively which isn’t a lot but its noticeable. If BT comes back i will think about making ARS my main pool again but as it is i don't know if it will be here in 3 months or not. I stangly get between 70-200MH on here still although i have no miners mining to it. Seems to be a bug with CGMiner i think. Weird
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2012, 09:40:05 PM

I stangly get between 70-200MH on here still although i have no miners mining to it. Seems to be a bug with CGMiner i think. Weird
Do you have it set as a failover pool still? I'm pretty sure that whenever you get a LP or its taking too long to get work, cgminer will shift to another pool for a share or few.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 12:51:45 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2012, 10:20:48 AM by BkkCoins

I stangly get between 70-200MH on here still although i have no miners mining to it. Seems to be a bug with CGMiner i think. Weird
Do you have it set as a failover pool still? I'm pretty sure that whenever you get a LP or its taking too long to get work, cgminer will shift to another pool for a share or few.
cgminer has an option "failover-only" which you need to set "true" if you don't want to leak to backup pools. Otherwise any time it can't get work fast enough on the main pool it will keep going with a share on the backup pool.

m3sSh3aD

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 09:42:16 AM

Ah, Thank you, that will probably be it. I just left it how it was, In thought failover was default settings in CGMiner. Thanks for that Wink
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 04:40:43 AM

from -840 down to -1135, ouch that hurts, thanks god i mine @ EMC. i hope arsbtc will get a long lucky round Smiley

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Electricbees

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 07:05:26 AM

from -840 down to -1135, ouch that hurts, thanks god i mine @ EMC. i hope arsbtc will get a long lucky round Smiley
I was just going to say something... I have a bunch of failover shares there, and I wish the pool would find a block or two soon!
That luck is brutal...  Sad

Donations are welcome!
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 11:12:37 AM

FYI, back when I mined at this pool there was a bug with the website that when two blocks we found in quick succession, the second one would not show up in the stats but would be in the pool wallet. I do not know if this bug was ever fixed, but it could be a contributing factor as to why the pool has been having back luck.

If you go back in this thread, you can see instances where burningtoad would let us know a block was found and add it to the stats.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4550
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 11:52:30 AM

I was going to suggest to simply use blockchain.info to work out the ARS blocks ... using the IP address info blockchain.info has ...
Then I checked 169082 on blockchain.info and it says Eligius

Looking at 169082 it is clearly NOT an Eligius block so unfortunately that idea fails also.
... and the ARS blocks don't have anything in the coinbase transaction that identifies them either

Oh well - I can't believe I'd say this - but coinbase spam does have a use sometimes Sad

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 04:39:57 PM

Im also wondering that something must be wrong with this pool, surely statisticly variance cant be this bad over such an extensive period.

Sure its hashrate dropped from ~900GH avg to ~300GH avg since dropping from surplus to -1000coins most of the time but still this variance isnt even seen solomining like I am doing with part of my farm o_0

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 06:35:13 PM

Im also wondering that something must be wrong with this pool, surely statisticly variance cant be this bad over such an extensive period.

Sure its hashrate dropped from ~900GH avg to ~300GH avg since dropping from surplus to -1000coins most of the time but still this variance isnt even seen solomining like I am doing with part of my farm o_0

don't forget this pool was in a big positive buffer for a long time....

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2012, 07:21:19 PM

don't forget this pool was in a big positive buffer for a long time....
Yeah... back when it had an operator...

MintCondition
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 08:05:30 PM

Ars employs a nominal fee of 0%. The payout is based on 100% of found blocks being valid, but that's unlikely to happen in practice. In practice, some blocks turn out to be orphan blocks. The pool is taking a statistical hit of 50 BTC for every block that turns out to be an orphan, which is around 1.5% of all blocks for most pools.

The effective fee is therefore about -1.5%. Yes, it's an effective bonus for miners! Who pays that bonus? The pool buffer. Total work done at Ars is now about 79850 BTC, which comes down to 1597 blocks. Although I can't find any orphan blocks in the stats at Ars, it's unlikely there haven't been any. You'd expect about 1.5%*1597 = 24 orphan blocks, causing a cumulative buffer drain of about 1200 BTC. The buffer is currently at -1000, not that far from -1200.

Now you may think: Great, the bonus is paid by the pool buffer, so I don't have to care about it. But the pool buffer is just a concept, and eventually real people have got to take the hit and accept the losses of all those orphan blocks. Who will those people be? It will be the last miners to quit Arsbitcoin. Since hashrate will then drop to 0, there's no new BTC flowing in. No income means the payouts for the last -BUFFER_SIZE Bitcoins can never be made.

In a sense, negative-effective-fee-SMPPS is not unlike the game "Musical chairs".

Until the moment the hashrate hits 0, the pool buffer will continue to drain at a rate of 1.5% of the theoretical PPS value of the delivered work, masked by normal variance in the block finding process. It is perfectly possible that due to normal variance the pool gets lucky and the buffer goes into positive territory again. Good and bad luck cancel each other out though, while the 1.5% drain is a constant negative force, creating ever longer payout delays.

Anyway..
For all reward schemes an effective fee can be calculated, and for PPS-derived schemes it differs from the nominal fee. At ABCPool there was some discussion when we started mentioning an effective fee in favor of a nominal fee; some vocal forum members found it to be misleading. Ars is now starting to show just how real the effective fee and its consequences are.
NB: ABCPool is *pure* PPS, there is no concept of a buffer for miners and therefore no payment delays.

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 04:36:45 AM

Erm your long explaination meant nothing.

Point is longterm its a zero sum game ie. overtime and over even blocks you should even out even at 0% PPS (they only pay the PPS rates once blocks are solved, there is no extra 1.5% earnings on top) and ARS doesnt pay for orphans/invalids since it pays after 120confirms and if its invalid/orphaned you get nothing from that block.

So again, after so many blocks Im pretty sure it should be closer to even than 20-25blocks behind.

PS. Your whole post seems like an ABCpool advert, stay on discussion and keep the FUD.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: