Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:21:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435330 times)
kuriboh

Activity: 357
Merit: 285

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:56:19 AM

what's up with Terrahash? http://terrahash.com/ they are using your prototypes, Are they trustworthy?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
synapse

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:11:50 AM

terrahash looks dodgy
I hear alarm bells going off. the site is shit slow as well

Part-time Computer Systems Engineering student - Full time Service Assurance (faults) for a large Telco.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:23:17 AM

Probably you are interested in view this page http://terrahash.com/ use this build.

Dont know who are..

Might also be worth a GROUP buy on boards with components if BKKcoins can get his prototypes to fly.  Bit early for all that I guess but really I am willing and able to work with a group so we can get the best price we all can.

Me too I'm trying to do Spanish group to get better price.

Regards Smiley

SCAM possibly.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:28:21 AM

3) - purchase BUMMs (Bkk USB Mini Miners)
I'm calling them "Klondike 1" or "Klondike Nano" in my docs.

AKA BUMM's oh you know that is gonna stick.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:31:02 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2013, 04:10:12 AM by Bicknellski

For those that have yet to buy their ASICs:

I had paid for 720, but that group buy closed because it couldn't be filled.  What group buy looks promising?

I just had to ask for a refund and need to place another order.

DABS? If you are in ASIA?

Or can you start your own group buy? I might be interested in helping you with that.

BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 03:45:24 AM

what's up with Terrahash? http://terrahash.com/ they are using your prototypes, Are they trustworthy?
I've seen that.
I have been contacted by them but I have no idea who they are or if it's a scam or real.
I don't mind if they want to sell my stuff, but I have no connection with them and at this time there is nothing to sell. Yet.

Bicknellski

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:53:34 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2013, 04:54:26 AM by Bicknellski

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70043.0 VGA Coolers... if anyone finds a good heatsinks sized right with fan enclosed it might be the ideal solution. Low profile and it can move the heat.

What would we need?

Extruded passive / forced air Al heat sink design no fan
http://www.meccal.com/en/pdf.php?id=148
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/188557/Extruded-heatsink-100-X-100-mm/0205043

Bonded copper fin vga heat sink forced air with pipes with fan
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/6324/vid-95_2.jpg/c

Extruded forced air heat sink with fan.
http://www.generalnanosystems.com/fan-vt-hdc-502a-bl.html

Specs:

Footprint: 100mm x 100mm contact plate or less?
Profile: Embedded fan countersunk to the heat sink profile?
Airflow: 45cfm?
Noise: 18dBA, ±10%?
Fan speed: 2000rpm, ±10% x 2?
Fan size: 9cm?
Lifespan: 30,000 hours
Fan connector: 3-pin?
Color: GOLD of course?

Thoughts?

Seeing that we might even be able to find older configured VGA heatsinks with fans for this purpose it might be the ideal profile for mounting in a rack configuration.

dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:08:03 AM

Probably you are interested in view this page http://terrahash.com/ use this build.

Dont know who are..

Might also be worth a GROUP buy on boards with components if BKKcoins can get his prototypes to fly.  Bit early for all that I guess but really I am willing and able to work with a group so we can get the best price we all can.

Regards Smiley

SCAM possibly.

yes very likely
steamboat

Activity: 648
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:16:59 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70043.0 VGA Coolers... if anyone finds a good heatsinks sized right with fan enclosed it might be the ideal solution. Low profile and it can move the heat.

What would we need?

Thoughts?

Seeing that we might even be able to find older configured VGA heatsinks with fans for this purpose it might be the ideal profile for mounting in a rack configuration.

I'm working on a solution to modify 4u racks to hold 8 boards with intake/exhaust fans. 90x90 heat sinks would be ideal, but 4 smaller ones would work as well.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:19:57 AM

Dont know who are..

Regards Smiley

SCAM possibly.

yes very likely

Better we support BKKcoins rather than go off with someone like that right... basically just sponging or scamming. If we are all working together to help BKKcoins get his board made, tested then again at the right time we can all group buy to lower the production run and kick in for BKKcoin for his design and work etc if he is interested in that. I think there are many of us here all willing to trust in BKKcoins so if we do this all as one large group buy we are likely going to get the best price possible anywhere.

We should all be looking locally to scrounge up facilities to fab the completed boards I think. So find a reputable reflow / smt shop. I for one would like to see that BKKcoin is compensated fairly for all this work so that we as a group kick back every-time we use his board design. I don't the guys running that page above are interested in doing that or they would be here at least contributing to the discussion.

Being open source is the best thing for the community but that doesn't mean it is free or something we should just go alone on as a group we can really lower our costs and probably beat competition out there. Thanks again BKKcoins for doing this and everyone else contributing to this. If we keep supporting this project I have little doubt it will work. This is how a real community should work not trying to profit off others work but rather supporting the developer and working out how we can best help all of us get a working rig in as many hands as possible.

Bicknellski

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:24:14 AM

What would we need?

Thoughts?

I'm working on a solution to modify 4u racks to hold 8 boards with intake/exhaust fans. 90x90 heat sinks would be ideal, but 4 smaller ones would work as well.

Ya... I think that larger solution be cheaper right?

I think something for everyone here. Straight up aluminum extruded passive heat sinks with fans at the ends like Avalons is one idea... maybe when packing these boards together the VGA idea might also be better depending on the heat generated with so many boards so close raising the ambient around them. I just think the VGA heatsinks are available already in large quantities and proven.

Be good for people to post up ideas for this and drawings so we can bounce ideas of each other as we have so much time to work this out. We might find some great solutions for various configurations.

ecliptic

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:30:01 AM

I don't plan on organizing anything on the forum or any shipping, but I will very likely having this PCB assembly (or one 99% similar but perhaps with a small design change to add parts for temp monitoring/etc)  pick & place / reflowed with a local manufacture in WI that i've worked with in the past with good results.  My goal is to get them up and running ASAP after receiving chips.

Just throwing it out if anyone in the region would be interested in doing a local group order to save money.

It's a good idea in general, communicate and meet up locally and get the boards built.  You could easily spend more downtime on shipping everything there and back then on the actual assembly itself, and it always introduces more risk and middlemen.

And with a local place you can always ask them to build up 1-3 boards, test them, make sure it's all good, then do the rest.
fasmax

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:36:41 AM

I don't plan on organizing anything on the forum or any shipping, but I will very likely having this PCB assembly (or one 99% similar but perhaps with a small design change to add parts for temp monitoring/etc)  pick & place / reflowed with a local manufacture in WI that i've worked with in the past with good results.  My goal is to get them up and running ASAP after receiving chips.

Just throwing it out if anyone in the region would be interested in doing a local group order to save money.

It's a good idea in general, communicate and meet up locally and get the boards built.  You could easily spend more downtime on shipping everything there and back then on the actual assembly itself, and it always introduces more risk and middlemen.

And with a local place you can always ask them to build up 1-3 boards, test them, make sure it's all good, then do the rest.
Any ideas how much they charge to build 1-3 boards?
Does your local manufacture supply parts for the build?
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:37:02 AM

I'm only getting 38 chips so just 2 k16 boards and 5 kNanos(BUMMs) for me
[I'll keep one chip as a mememto]

Whenever we are ready to buy the boards from Bkk I am in.
And I will jump in with anyone in the states that gets a fab group order going too

I forget if Bkk wants chips or BTC as tips, I can go either way with that too

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
ecliptic

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:45:03 AM

Any ideas how much they charge to build 1-3 boards?
Does your local manufacture supply parts for the build?
Small quantities are always expensive because you're eating a fixed setup cost across a tiny # of boards.  Usually for digikey/mouser component i provide them a BOM and they order the parts and roll it into their quote.  For other parts (like the Avalon chips) you just provide them with them

I will get a tiered quote after avalon releases their specs and a PCB design is good to go, but assuming 16chips per board, I'll be getting a few dozen boards just myself, i expect the setup costs will not be a significant per-PCB-assembly cost.

For someone like me grouping up to get the boards assemblied isn't a significant cost savings, but it absolutely is for someone trying to get, say, 3 boards made for 48 chips.  You may end up paying more for the fixed costs than for the Avalon chips.
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:47:18 AM

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genuine-licensed-Oc3-ice-copper-ram-heatsink-box-graphics-card-ram-heatsink/683305103.html

Would these be practical possible for heatsinks?

BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 04:49:13 AM

(or one 99% similar but perhaps with a small design change to add parts for temp monitoring/etc)
What did you have in mind here? I have the PIC with temp sensor inside and was planning to add an external thermistor near one of the ASICs. I haven't placed it yet because I'm waiting on Avalon docs to sort the pins I'll use for it, and then one left over will go to sensing the thermistor. Also, one more to disable the clock or 1.2V power, unsure which method yet.

Leapfrogg

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:00:08 AM

Very interested!!!,

How much work is still outstanding on getting this board fully designed and tested?

Are you still waiting on Avalon to make available documentation and reference board? They said beginning May it would be released?

Avalon also promised that the sample chips will be available 4 weeks after order. Zefir (for one) ordered a batch in April, has anyone been able to get their hands on these chips yet?
BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 05:21:19 AM

Very interested!!!,

How much work is still outstanding on getting this board fully designed and tested?

Are you still waiting on Avalon to make available documentation and reference board? They said beginning May it would be released?

Avalon also promised that the sample chips will be available 4 weeks after order. Zefir (for one) ordered a batch in April, has anyone been able to get their hands on these chips yet?
Board mostly designed, waiting on docs for data protocol info and pin outs. Expect a couple days after docs for first version to factory - hope to verify power before ordering first main board. I'm doing small tweaks each day as I find things to improve. Will throw up a revised 3d render soon.

Firmware started. Have set up and compiled the USB stack and I'm adding cmd protocol code. Temporary hold there while I do this power board.

No samples known to have been shipped.

I have some test stuff ordered and have almost finished a small test power board for seeing how the power supply functions alone (same layout) before using it in the main board. Will order that soon and put in an initial order for prototype parts. That means I can't program and debug a chip for at least another week or so (shipping time).

Thank you to those who have sent me donations.
I sold some of the bitcoins and I'm ordering some more stuff today.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:47:47 AM

For those that have yet to buy their ASICs:

I had paid for 720, but that group buy closed because it couldn't be filled.  What group buy looks promising?

I just had to ask for a refund and need to place another order.

DABS? If you are in ASIA?

Or can you start your own group buy? I might be interested in helping you with that.

Even if you are not in Asia, but you want your chips sent to someone in Asia to be assembled, then you save on shipping costs. It's a long way from China, to Europe or the United States, then to Indonesia or Thailand, then finally to you.

Of course, you could get the chips sent to yourself, then order the boards and other parts separately to be also shipped directly to you. You'd do the assembly. That would be the most economical (not counting the value of your time.)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: