Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:08:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 200 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 #  (Read 458140 times)
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:54:55 PM

I don't particularly have any incentive to respond to the scammers that I foiled, given the significant cost (in time) to do so. Nor do I have any financial loss or care particularly if people want to stop mining on Eligius because they were in on the scam (or any other reason). I will clarify that Eligius miners were not adversely impacted by this, and that the CLC mining involved only adding data that I hashed myself to my own transactions; and I was careful to ensure that nobody lost any confirmed CLC. If any Eligius miner wishes to inquire further, I will take the time to answer specific to-the-point questions which are signmessage'd with an active (ie, has mined in the past week) Eligius payout address that has earned at least 2000 TBC (5.36870912 BTC) over all time.

Eligius is a Bitcoin mining pool and I am, as always, committed to doing my best to contribute to and protect the Bitcoin ecosystem. Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation. I hope CoiledCoin will be the last of such scams now that it is clear there are people (not just myself) willing to stand up to them. Namecoin alone demonstrates a legitimate, innovative use of Bitcoin technology, and while I don't personally agree with their ideals/goals, I see it as a good thing for Bitcoin and worth cooperating with.

cablepair, regarding Devcoin, I don't see any reason to treat it as different from any other scamcoin. I will at least discuss it with you on IRC before doing anything other than mining it with the almost-unmodified (zero txn fee, zero post-maturity delay) Devcoin client.

P.S. While the opposition seem to be very venemous and vocal, I have gotten a lot more positive support from a head-count perspective.

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:55:30 PM

If you guys are going to just constantly flame each other, take it to Off-topic.  If this little war keeps up I'm going to have to go through and clean this thread and split a bunch of stuff, really don't want to have to do that.... well I'll probably have to clean this thread out anyways.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:58:52 PM

Maybe a bunch more chains would be useful, I wonder how many chains at once Luke would bother setting up to attack? A dozen? Two dozen? A hundred?

Seeing as it took less than a day, without any significant cost, and without affecting any of his pool's miners my guess is he could out-mine 1 alt-coin a day.  Given 300GH likely wasn't needed he probably could do a couple a day.  Smiley
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:06:01 PM

If you guys are going to just constantly flame each other, take it to Off-topic.  If this little war keeps up I'm going to have to go through and clean this thread and split a bunch of stuff, really don't want to have to do that.... well I'll probably have to clean this thread out anyways.

While there are personal attacks in this thread which are bad, most of the discussion of what was done with the pool and coilcoin (or whatever it is) are relevant to the topic of the pool and should not be deleted. 

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:12:13 PM

As long as we can agree that all relevant information in regards to the misuse of the pool's resources and the malicious attack stay up as they should, you will not read another inflammatory comment from me.
Cheers.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:13:54 PM

@littleshop and bitlane

Anything relevant to the pool will not be removed, and I wasn't planning to delete anyways.  I'm going to clean it out, but will probably split all the purely flaming stuff into another thread and throw it in Off-topic.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:15:09 PM

is sad

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:23:32 PM

While there are personal attacks in this thread which are bad, most of the discussion of what was done with the pool and coilcoin (or whatever it is) are relevant to the topic of the pool and should not be deleted.
Why does it seem like people don't read anything? The Coiledcoin nonsense is NOT RELATED TO THE POOL.

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:29:23 PM

Why does it seem like people don't read anything? The Coiledcoin nonsense is NOT RELATED TO THE POOL.

It is directly related to the pool since you used it to attack the coin, your users should be informed of your actions with their hashing power. Then consider what you will do with it in the future whenever your next target comes up.

+1000
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:33:35 PM

It is directly related to the pool since you used it to attack the coin, your users should be informed of your actions with their hashing power. Then consider what you will do with it in the future whenever your next target comes up.

He just stated he didn't use the pool to do it.  I was mistaken that he used merged mining.  You should read his post better.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:45:52 PM

He just stated he didn't use the pool to do it.  I was mistaken that he used merged mining.  You should read his post better.
Took long enough to clarify that. Slightly different slant on it now.

I will apologize now for mentioning the merged mining, as I misunderstood how things were done. 

I would, however, like to point out how often I was personally insulted as a result of disagreeing.  I would say that certain individuals that have responded in this thread need to reevaluate their behavior.  While those individuals might disagree with what luke-jr did, there was no point in making insults. 

EIEIO:

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 09:15:32 PM

Wow, its interesting how quiet this thread is.  It seems all the people calling names have no balls.  Got all pissed off because of something they thought was going on, called a bunch of people names, then come to find out, they were wrong.  No apology, nothing.  Classy. Real Classy.

EIEIO:

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 09:24:54 PM

Wow, its interesting how quiet this thread is.  It seems all the people calling names have no balls.  Got all pissed off because of something they thought was going on, called a bunch of people names, then come to find out, they were wrong.  No apology, nothing.  Classy. Real Classy.

reportedly they may not have been wrong, it's really an assumption that Luke is telling the truth that leads you to this conclusion.  Maybe some independent verification is in order?

What led them to their original conclusion that their hashes were ever wasted or whatever? What makes them think their info is involved?  Perhaps they should submit their evidence?

EIEIO:

Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 09:32:26 PM

I don't like what has happened (no matter if those alt coins where useful to anyone) and i don't like lukes self righteous attitude. Don't feel like i have to apologise anything.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 09:41:46 PM

As I stated in another thread:

Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation.
Attacking and killing them serves to provide ultimately more discredit to the entire project than just letting them slide into oblivion. What you have achieved here is simply wasting your time to no productive end.

I stand by this.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
JayCoin

Activity: 409
Merit: 251

Crypt'n Since 2011

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 10:28:34 PM

What the heck is going on with the pool?  For the last three hours, many addresses hash rates have dropped off and the current block estimate graph has stopped working.

Hello There!
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 10:30:35 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2012, 11:14:30 PM by jake262144

The pool is under heavy enemy fire ^^
Sir Chivalrous Luke the Crusader, the bravest of anti-altcoin knights, seems to have pissed off great many folks. I expect an angry mob with pitchforks is besieging castle Eligius right now.

EDIT:: Thanks for making me have to direct all my miners somewhere else Sir Luke. I'll get back when the dust settles, unless I will have found a better pool by then. Bitminter seems to work superbly with cgminer, you know... just watch the non-existent stales ::drools::
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 10:45:29 PM

What the heck is going on with the pool?  For the last three hours, many addresses hash rates have dropped off and the current block estimate graph has stopped working.
That's about when he removed OP_EVAL support from the pool's Bitcoin client. (During Coiledcoin development I found an interesting security vulnerability in it whereby you could feed pools and mining nodes a poisoned transaction that'd make them unable to successfully mine any blocks. Thankfully not everyone is quite as malicious as Luke Jr. Apparently Gavin had already fixed it in the proposed replacement for OP_EVAL but presumably not thought to warn the pools for whatever reason.)

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 11:09:27 PM

Interesting. The other statement from him was rather more weasily:

I will clarify that Eligius miners were not adversely impacted by this, and that the CLC mining involved only adding data that I hashed myself to my own transactions; and I was careful to ensure that nobody lost any confirmed CLC
Which of course, is entirely true except for the part about not losing confirmed CLC, because that's how merged mining works - through the pool adding data they'd hashed themselves (namely the merged mining merkle-tree root) to their own transactions (more specifically, the pool's coinbase transactions). Judging from observations of the hashrate, the reason Eligius miners weren't adversely affected was because he intentionally didn't trigger long polls on receiving a new CLC block.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 11:10:25 PM

The pool is under heavy enemy fire ^^
Sir Chivalrous Luke the Crusader, the bravest of anti-altcoin knights, seems to have pissed off great many folks. An angry mob with pitchforks is besieging castle Eligius right now.
Actually, I haven't noticed any problems from that. I did have trouble applying the bugfix for makomk's exploit, but that shouldn't have lasted very long.
Come to EclipseMC!  Wink
That's just uncalled for. Moderate yourself appropriately. :p

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 200 »
  Print  

Jump to: