Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:37:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin Release - First Scientific Computing Cryptocurrency  (Read 687909 times)
Lyddite

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 10:28:47 PM

Difficulty increase as clearly been slowing down for the past 48h clearly showing that the number of blocks found is lowering (as most of us miners sadly experienced).
Only = +0.01888007 which is ridiculous compared to what we were used to see that was around +0.07 a day if not more.  The lowering started around 08/08. Lyddite  will surelly have a nice graph for us Smiley

This is resulting in a huge increase in price which is great for us miners having to cope with lower and lower blocks each days especially since the last 48h.

I was about to close my little farm, might keep it up a little more...

My luck has turned for the worse also but 1-2 blocks per day is ok.

This will be a kind of pain point for Primecoin I think. The increased price on the exchanges probably will keep miners motivated despite the diminishing returns. Many more miners will be necessary to push the difficulty up to 10.

From what I have mined over while the difficulty has been > 9, about 10% are 10-chains, the rest all all 9 chains.

The high performance primecoin miner has had many fixes and optimizations over the past while and I believe that there if probably little left in terms of low hanging fruit there. Now that the "fractional difficulty" for 9-chains is high enough, tweaking roundsievepercentage, sievepercentage and sievesize for the best efficiency is where one should focus if one continues to mine intensively.

For those who are new to linux and the bash shell and are curious to find out what kind of primes have been have generated by their miners, here's the oneliner to I used.

Code:
 primecoind  listtransactions "" 100 |grep blockhash |  sed -e "s/.* : //" -e "s/,//"  |xargs -n 1 -I '{}' primecoind getblock '{}' |grep primechain

Append
Code:
 | grep [CN]09 | wc -l 
to the above line to count your 9-chains and
Code:
 | grep [CN]0a | wc -l 
to count your 10-chains.  The "[CN]" in the grep keeps 09 or 0a in the latter hexadecimal part of the data from being counted. If you have more than 100 transactions in your account then increase the 100 to something greater than the amount of transactions for that account.

- Lyddite -

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tamis

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:28:00 AM

Now that the "fractional difficulty" for 9-chains is high enough, tweaking roundsievepercentage, sievepercentage and sievesize for the best efficiency is where one should focus if one continues to mine intensively.

Interesting !  Would anyone care to elaborate ?
sdmented

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 06:34:46 AM

I just have my stuff set at default for hp9, is that not a good idea then? 
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 06:47:49 AM

From what I understand Mikaelh and others have done extensive testing to determine the optimum values for all of those variables. Unless you have an extremely good understanding of what you are tweaking and how that alters the mining process then it is best to use the defaults, as you could easily misinterpret what is happening and actually reduce your mining performance. (As a matter of fact, please do that so I can mine more easily  Cheesy)

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 08:06:13 AM

faucet ?

one would be nice considering this coin is impossible to mine..
i tried every night for a week and got nothing Sad
ultra waste of time and energy !

FUD first & ask questions later™
Trillium

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 08:36:49 AM

faucet ?

Well either your hardware is not so great or you are unlucky or both. Consider pool mining if you are so desperate for some return.

Here's one of my miner boxes:

https://i.imgur.com/CjL22NC.jpg

ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 05:06:29 PM

Damn I wish I had a mining rig up. I'll probably get back to mining once my rack server goes online in the datacenter I sent it to. We're using it for hosting websites, so it's already paying for itself and profitability isn't a problem.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 06:40:08 PM

As someone new to Primecoin, can someone explain to me how this was not created to be only beneficial to early miners in the first month, with little profit or incentive for future miners?

In the first two weeks of Primecoin's life, over 100,000 coins were generated a day while difficulty was around 7. This means that it was both relatively easy to find blocks and blocks were highly valuable.

http://cryptometer.org/primecoin_90_day_charts.html

In just one month the number of coins generated per day has fallen to ~10K and at the same time it is much more difficult to find a block due to increased difficulty. Which means that the amount of coins received per work falls exponentially since it is both harder to find a block and blocks yield fewer coins.

With GPU mining about to come out soon, the difficulty will rapidly rise and we can expect only ~1K or less coins to be generated per day. This is an insignificant amount compared to the first two weeks.

What this means is that those that got in early (first 1-2 weeks) will have generated most of the coins for themselves, leaving little incentive or room for profit for those not involved in the launch.

I was pretty interested in participating in Primecoin when I first saw it recently, but after exploring more it seems to be designed to overly reward those that launched it with little benefit for anyone else. To me those are not traits for a successful alt coin.
crendore

Activity: 363

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 06:48:27 PM

As someone new to Primecoin, can someone explain to me how this was not created to be only beneficial to early miners in the first month, with little profit or incentive for future miners?

In the first two weeks of Primecoin's life, over 100,000 coins were generated a day while difficulty was around 7. This means that it was both relatively easy to find blocks and blocks were highly valuable.

In just one month the number of coins generated per day has fallen to ~10K and at the same time it is much more difficult to find a block due to increased difficulty. Which means that the amount of coins received per work falls exponentially since it is both harder to find a block and blocks yield fewer coins.

With GPU mining about to come out soon, the difficulty will rapidly rise and we can expect only ~1K or less coins to be generated per day. This is an insignificant amount compared to the first two weeks.

What this means is that those that got in early (first 1-2 weeks) will have generated most of the coins for themselves, leaving little incentive or room for profit for those not involved in the launch.

I was pretty interested in participating in Primecoin when I first saw it recently, but after exploring more it seems to be designed to overly reward those that launched it with little benefit for anyone else. To me those are not traits for a successful alt coin.

Two things:
1)  There are far worse coins guilty of maliciously manipulated distribution schemes only to profit the early adopters and creators.  As an example check out Extreme coin, just came out today.  Runs out of coins in 2 months. 

2) Mining is not the only way to participate in a crypto currency.  If you like primecoin so much, why not do something with it, build a service, be a pioneer with primecoin.  I'm sure some of the first people to make primecoin services are going to make a heck of a lot more money than the miners anyway.

Trillium

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Couldn't you say exactly the same about bitcoin a few years ago?

mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 11:14:56 PM

faucet ?

Well either your hardware is not so great or you are unlucky or both. Consider pool mining if you are so desperate for some return.

Here's one of my miner boxes:

https://i.imgur.com/CjL22NC.jpg

What the system spec of this rig?
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 11:35:25 PM

All crypto coins have an early adopter benefit, bitcoin is no exception.

My point is that the decrease in block reward payout greatly exaggerates this effect in Primecoin. Once GPU mining comes out the per block reward will decrease significantly, which means that those mining in a few months will never be able to mine the # of XPM that individuals were able to in the first weeks, no matter how much H/W they add. With bitcoin you may need a lot more H/W now to mine coins with ASIC difficulty, but roughly the same number of coins per day are released.

With Bitcoin, today 3600 bitcoins are released every day while 7200 bitcoins were released per day in the first 4 year period.

With Primecoin, in the first weeks over 100K coins were mined per day. Soon with GPUs most likely only 100s of coins will be able to be mined per day. That is very unbalanced.
mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 11:57:04 PM

My point is that the decrease in block reward payout greatly exaggerates this effect in Primecoin. Once GPU mining comes out the per block reward will decrease significantly, which means that those mining in a few months will never be able to mine the # of XPM that individuals were able to in the first weeks, no matter how much H/W they add. With bitcoin you may need a lot more H/W now to mine coins with ASIC difficulty, but roughly the same number of coins per day are released.

With Bitcoin, today 3600 bitcoins are released every day while 7200 bitcoins were released per day in the first 4 year period.

With Primecoin, in the first weeks over 100K coins were mined per day. Soon with GPUs most likely only 100s of coins will be able to be mined per day. That is very unbalanced.
Not sure if I agree with you on the magnitutde and rapidity of this change.  First you are assuming there will be a GPU miner which is several orders of magnitude faster than CPU miners.  I do not think this will be true.  I think primecoins are not as GPU friendly versus CPUs as bitcoins and litecoins are.

Also, the block reward is calculated as 999/difficulty2
At the current difficult of 9 that is a block reward of about 12.3.
Even if difficulty goes up to 12 with GPU miners (and I think it will be much more gradual than that), then the block reward would become about 7. 
Even in the far future, if difficulty ever reaches 20, then the block reward will be 2.5 and I think that would be decades in the future.

I think the difficulty increases will become more gradual with maybe a small blip up with GPU miners.  If GPU miners are 100X more efficient, well then you may be proven correct.  However, my guess is they are more likely to be "only" 2 to 3 times more efficient than CPUs.  Hell, maybe they won't be any more efficient as the type of calculations required to mine primecoins really is more suited to CPU designs than GPUs which were created to calculate polygons.
Tamis

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 12:03:02 AM

And that is just perfect !
bcp19

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 12:42:00 AM

If the GPUs caused it to drop to 100s of coins per day, don't you think they'd leave in a big hurry?

To reach this unlikely scenario though, difficulty would have to climb somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-50 which I doubt is possible.

Remember also, primecoin has no cap like bitcoin, so a different method of limiting coins was put into place.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 01:22:31 AM

And that is just perfect !
Exactly. I like it being more rare :3

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Trillium

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 03:29:51 AM

I think we should wait until a GPU miner is actually released before we start guesstimating difficulties and those scenarios. I think a lot of people here are very desperate to 'strike it rich' on a new GPU miner release for this coin. It really shows in some of the other threads, to the point where it is cringe worthy.

Maybe it's just my line of work, but I don't believe in things until I see some evidence.

We have seen no evidence for a GPU miner, other than a few words typed on a webpage on the internet.

If mtrlt did not have a reputation from his creation of previous miners, then most people would too be as skeptical as I am.

Even if a GPU miner is released tomorrow, keep in mind that the 'difference' between CPU and GPU mining will not be as extreme as it was for bitcoin and the SHA-256 coins when its GPU miners were released. Bitcoin miners experienced a ~100 fold improvement on GPU if you were to compare them when investing an equal amount on the hardware (CPU vs GPU). A primecoin GPU miner will be far less of a improvement than this, some have speculated as low as only a handful of times more efficient than CPU alone.

The GPU miner's performance will depend to a good extent on the CPU itself. Whereas with current GPU mining it depends almost entirely on only the GPU itself. If you think your 5x 7950 scrypt rig with celeron CPU is going to tear up primecoin, well, maybe you are in for a shock. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't want to sound like a tinfoil-hatter, but there is also a chance this is an extremely elaborate scam. There has been almost $10,000 USD in donations sent to that bitcoin address now. It would not be the first time that a shocking scam has gone down on these forums and a lot of people lost BTC because of it. Also keep in mind that the buying/selling/exchange of accounts on this forum is permitted.

Assuming the above was false, I don't mean to diminish mtrlt's efforts and I wish him the best of luck with the development. That being said I think GPU mining on primecoin is unlikely to be the glorious horizon that so many seem to think it will be.

bcp19

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 03:59:52 AM

I think we should wait until a GPU miner is actually released before we start guesstimating difficulties and those scenarios. I think a lot of people here are very desperate to 'strike it rich' on a new GPU miner release for this coin. It really shows in some of the other threads, to the point where it is cringe worthy.

Maybe it's just my line of work, but I don't believe in things until I see some evidence.

We have seen no evidence for a GPU miner, other than a few words typed on a webpage on the internet.

If mtrlt did not have a reputation from his creation of previous miners, then most people would too be as skeptical as I am.

Even if a GPU miner is released tomorrow, keep in mind that the 'difference' between CPU and GPU mining will not be as extreme as it was for bitcoin and the SHA-256 coins when its GPU miners were released. Bitcoin miners experienced a ~100 fold improvement on GPU if you were to compare them when investing an equal amount on the hardware (CPU vs GPU). A primecoin GPU miner will be far less of a improvement than this, some have speculated as low as only a handful of times more efficient than CPU alone.

The GPU miner's performance will depend to a good extent on the CPU itself. Whereas with current GPU mining it depends almost entirely on only the GPU itself. If you think your 5x 7950 scrypt rig with celeron CPU is going to tear up primecoin, well, maybe you are in for a shock. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't want to sound like a tinfoil-hatter, but there is also a chance this is an extremely elaborate scam. There has been almost $10,000 USD in donations sent to that bitcoin address now. It would not be the first time that a shocking scam has gone down on these forums and a lot of people lost BTC because of it. Also keep in mind that the buying/selling/exchange of accounts on this forum is permitted.

Assuming the above was false, I don't mean to diminish mtrlt's efforts and I wish him the best of luck with the development. That being said I think GPU mining on primecoin is unlikely to be the glorious horizon that so many seem to think it will be.
You are 100% correct.  Some calculations do run 100x faster on GPU, some only run 4-6 times faster, while others barely get a 2x boost.  I think the fermat testing will prove to fall into the latter areas.  The thing a lot of people don't realize is that you can't just take CGminer and make a few changes and presto it works.  This is likely to have been a major rewrite and then some.  I personally would want a 5x or better speed boost to offset the added power usage, 10x may be doable... 20x I'd be amazed.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
crendore

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 11:47:10 AM

I would like to open up my mining nodes to accept incomming connections so that they also support the network instead of just mining.  Can someone give me a quick run down on how to do this in linux? What port should i use? should i use iptables? ufw?

Thanks!

crendore

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 12:28:39 PM

I would like to open up my mining nodes to accept incomming connections so that they also support the network instead of just mining.  Can someone give me a quick run down on how to do this in linux? What port should i use? should i use iptables? ufw?

Thanks!
What distribution? By default it should be open.
Are you behind a router?

No router, ubuntu.  I guess it's already open then.  Having some trouble syncing on my local primecoin instance though, anyone share an addnode? i'm stuck back 13 hours ago.

Pages: « 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 »
  Print  

Jump to: