Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:04:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 148 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DRILLBIT SYSTEM Miners - Avalon range available - Now $104.99!  (Read 273580 times)
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:15:44 AM

Can you please point out the advantages of the Drillbit system compared to the Bitfury Asic-H board ?
What I have determined till now myself:

Drillbit is 8 chips board for us$300, pairs of 4 boards possible. (The backplane price is TBD)
Bitfury Asic-H is 16 chip board for us$500, but needs a starter kit (us$1300-us$500, kit contains 1 Asic-H board).

No Drillbit prototype seen yet, Bitfury is up and running.

Bitfury probably delivers a few weeks sooner with October shipping.
Drillbit needs to wait for October chips and then assemble and ship.

Anything else I need to take into account ?

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
gbh

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:18:47 AM

whereabouts (suburb) in Sydney are you guys?
clowe

Activity: 25

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:09:33 AM

Out of interest I did a quick comparison of the GH/S per dollar this project was offering against KNC, it stacks up quite nicely!

GH/s   Cost     $/GHs
Drillbit           21.6   $300     $13.89
KNC Mercury   100   $1995  $19.95

If this project delivers in October then its considerably cheaper than some of the competing solutions.
100 GH/s would cost around $1400
erk

Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:38:27 AM

Out of interest I did a quick comparison of the GH/S per dollar this project was offering against KNC, it stacks up quite nicely!

GH/s   Cost     $/GHs
Drillbit           21.6   $300     $13.89
KNC Mercury   100   $1995  $19.95

If this project delivers in October then its considerably cheaper than some of the competing solutions.
100 GH/s would cost around $1400

That's assuming you clock the Drillbit flat out, if you run at at 2GH/s per chip then it's similar to KNCminer.

Barntech (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:57:57 PM

whereabouts (suburb) in Sydney are you guys?

Alexandria. You a Sydney sider too?
gbh

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:06:33 PM

yeah, in Leichhardt. Not far at all. I'll possibly order 1 or 2 full rigs I think. Often in Alexandria, happy to drop in and say hi if the offer is still open?
lemonte

Activity: 624
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:10:05 PM

As soon as i sell my Asics i think I will invest in a Drillbit system

If anyone wants 2 x Klondike 32s and 2, 20 chip boards from Burnin, let me know.

Barntech (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:10:24 PM

Can you please point out the advantages of the Drillbit system compared to the Bitfury Asic-H board ?

Drillbit is 8 chips board for us$300, pairs of 4 boards possible. (The backplane price is TBD)
Bitfury Asic-H is 16 chip board for us$500, but needs a starter kit (us$1300-us$500, kit contains 1 Asic-H board).

Hey Ben.

Firstly, we are getting our chips from Megabigpower. We are not in competition with them. We are their customers. By all means go ahead and buy their products, they are good products at good prices.

Our project is a group buy of chips along with an offer of assembly into the Drillbit Sytem, an alternate mining solution to the one offered by Bitfury and Megabigpower. We are a bunch of people chucking in together to buy some chips. We have designed a board to make use of those chips and we are offering it to people.

Both the Drillbit and the Bitfury systems have their advantages. The main difference is that our system is more friendly for smaller scale mining enthusiasts to start small and build it up from there. The Drillbit board runs standalone so all you need to pay to get started is $300, for an 8 chip board, or $99 for a one chip thumb. Starting cost for a bitfury kit is $1300. For that you get the M board (equivalent of our backplane) + one H board (equivalent of two of our Drillbit boards). They say if you are a “real hacker” you can get the H boards functioning on their own. So i guess if you are a real hacker then an H Board for $500 is cheaper than two Drillbit boards for $600. Go for that if that is you. You don’t need to be a hacker to run the Drillbit boards however.

So, for those who don’t consider themselves real hackers, with Bitfury, an initial $1300 gets you 16 chips hashing. With Drillbit, an initial $600 gets you 16 chips hashing.

Our anticipated cost on the backplane is approximately $100 - $150. It is a neat way to stack your boards together, but not required. 16 boards can be put into a backplane, or can exist as 4 standalone stacks of 4. The Bitfury backplane is essential for their system, unless you’re a real hacker, whatever that means.

Bitfury backplane: $800 - required (hackers excluded)
Drillbit Backplane: $100 - $150 - not required

Startup cost:

Bitfury: $1300
Drillbit: $300

Cost to have 32 chips hashing:

Bitfury: $1800
Drillbit: $1200

Cost to have 128 chips hashing:

Bitfury: $4800
Drillbit: $4800 (or $4900 - $4950 with backplane)

In summary, the pricing is pretty much the same when you start getting big, cheaper when you are starting small. $500 is less and $600, so if you feel confident getting the H board running on its own, then that is probably your best bet.

On delivery times, yes they have the advantage of a headstart on prototyping. I have seen their photos and the rig looks impressive. I still haven’t seen a video of the whole thing working, but it may well be totally kicking arse and ready to go. Who knows.

When they get their chips, they will still have to put them into manufacture, which will take some time. At the end of the day, if we get the chips at approximately the same time, i don’t imagine we will be too far behind if at all. If we do end up getting the chips much later for whatever reason, the yes, we will be way behind. Unfortunately, i don’t have any control over that, though i am doing everything i can to lock down chip delivery details. Maybe ordering straight from Bitfurystrikes back or Megabigpower is a safer bet because they will get the chips before us. And as i said, go for it, order from them. Either way, we are going to go ahead with our project, and welcome anyone else who wants to be involved.

Cheers.

Barntech
Barntech (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:11:32 PM

yeah, in Leichhardt. Not far at all. I'll possibly order 1 or 2 full rigs I think. Often in Alexandria, happy to drop in and say hi if the offer is still open?

Yeah man for sure. If you come in a week or two you can check out the prototype.  Grin
BenTuras

Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:21:06 PM

Hey Ben.

Firstly, we are getting our chips from Megabigpower. We are not in competition with them. We are their customers. By all means go ahead and buy their products, they are good products at good prices.
Thanks for a clear and honest answer.
We could use more people like you in this crazy world.

I will wait for a working prototype and then decide.

Until then I'll be watching, good luck on your journey!

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
flemeister

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:51:14 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 02:44:25 PM by flemeister

Hey guys, in the email form, what do we need to put as the "Sending Address"?

Googling it just made me more confused lol. Is it just the address we send the BTC to? Or is there a specific address on the transaction's blockchain.info page that I need to quote? Huh

Thanks. Smiley

EDIT: It's just whatever my main receiving address is isn't it?
kmtan

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

I love Bitcoin

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:29:02 PM

Hey Ben.

Our project is a group buy of chips along with an offer of assembly into the Drillbit Sytem, an alternate mining solution to the one offered by Bitfury and Megabigpower. We are a bunch of people chucking in together to buy some chips. We have designed a board to make use of those chips and we are offering it to people.

Both the Drillbit and the Bitfury systems have their advantages. The main difference is that our system is more friendly for smaller scale mining enthusiasts to start small and build it up from there. The Drillbit board runs standalone so all you need to pay to get started is $300, for an 8 chip board, or $99 for a one chip thumb. Starting cost for a bitfury kit is $1300. For that you get the M board (equivalent of our backplane) + one H board (equivalent of two of our Drillbit boards). They say if you are a “real hacker” you can get the H boards functioning on their own. So i guess if you are a real hacker then an H Board for $500 is cheaper than two Drillbit boards for $600. Go for that if that is you. You don’t need to be a hacker to run the Drillbit boards however.

So, for those who don’t consider themselves real hackers, with Bitfury, an initial $1300 gets you 16 chips hashing. With Drillbit, an initial $600 gets you 16 chips hashing.

Our anticipated cost on the backplane is approximately $100 - $150. It is a neat way to stack your boards together, but not required. 16 boards can be put into a backplane, or can exist as 4 standalone stacks of 4. The Bitfury backplane is essential for their system, unless you’re a real hacker, whatever that means.

Bitfury backplane: $800 - required (hackers excluded)
Drillbit Backplane: $100 - $150 - not required

Startup cost:

Bitfury: $1300
Drillbit: $300

Cost to have 32 chips hashing:

Bitfury: $1800
Drillbit: $1200

Cost to have 128 chips hashing:

Bitfury: $4800
Drillbit: $4800 (or $4900 - $4950 with backplane)

In summary, the pricing is pretty much the same when you start getting big, cheaper when you are starting small. $500 is less and $600, so if you feel confident getting the H board running on its own, then that is probably your best bet.

On delivery times, yes they have the advantage of a headstart on prototyping. I have seen their photos and the rig looks impressive. I still haven’t seen a video of the whole thing working, but it may well be totally kicking arse and ready to go. Who knows.

When they get their chips, they will still have to put them into manufacture, which will take some time. At the end of the day, if we get the chips at approximately the same time, i don’t imagine we will be too far behind if at all. If we do end up getting the chips much later for whatever reason, the yes, we will be way behind. Unfortunately, i don’t have any control over that, though i am doing everything i can to lock down chip delivery details. Maybe ordering straight from Bitfurystrikes back or Megabigpower is a safer bet because they will get the chips before us. And as i said, go for it, order from them. Either way, we are going to go ahead with our project, and welcome anyone else who wants to be involved.

Cheers.

Barntech

thanks barntech for the comparison, it make it more clearly now!! i had introduce your system to my friend also.

HTML5 Gordon

Activity: 184

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:56:54 PM

What are the plans/timeframe for the Drillbit Thumb?  I see they are not available for pre-order yet.  A 2Gh usb powered stick would be a cool thing to have.  I'd be interested in at least one @$99.
NexusFlow

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:12:51 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 03:29:12 PM by NexusFlow

Hey guys, in the email form, what do we need to put as the "Sending Address"?

Googling it just made me more confused lol. Is it just the address we send the BTC to? Or is there a specific address on the transaction's blockchain.info page that I need to quote? Huh

Thanks. Smiley

EDIT: It's just whatever my main receiving address is isn't it?

Hi flemeister (or can I call u flemmy),

Yes it just the address from which you sent the BTC's from (if you only have one address - it would be your receiving address). It helps in the verification process. Also don't forget to get the TX id.

I just went through this process myself.

Cheers
nexusflow
ElitePork
Donator

Activity: 164

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:13:26 PM

Watching. Will buy one 8 chip board for $300 this month. Any shipping fees to singapore?
Regards
EP
say592

Activity: 32

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 04:14:42 PM

I know no one really wants to think about this, and I would hope that everyone will be honest and carry through there orders, what happens to the buy if it starts to be mid-September and these dont look profitable anymore? With the large amount of PayPal orders, payments could be yanked. Is there a contingency plan if that happens, or would the remaining orders just be refunded?
armedmilitia

Activity: 562
Merit: 506

We're going to need a bigger heatsink.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 05:14:58 PM

Heya! I sent you an email with details after I paid you $300 over Mt.Gox.

Just in case you didn't see that, I have a few questions:

How will paying for international shipping work?
Do you have a rough estimate of shipping costs to Canada?
For shipping type , what should I put? Could you elaborate on the types of shipping available if possible?

Thanks   Cheesy

Always use escrow. OgNasty is pretty sweet.

Help me out with compiling a list of mining datacenters!
mightycount

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:15:48 PM

Keep in mind, there's no such thing as Bitfury board. The H-board was done by c-scape and it's very nice, but also done on a very tight schedule. One could imagine that having more time on hand should, in principle, translate to better kWh efficiency. That's my rationale here.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Barntech, just a customer.

Personal Bitcoin Black List - Companies and people to avoid!
````` Butterfly Labs...MtGox...ragingazn628...(reserved)...  `````
Barntech (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 01:58:37 AM

Hey Ben.

Thanks for a clear and honest answer.
We could use more people like you in this crazy world.

I will wait for a working prototype and then decide.

Until then I'll be watching, good luck on your journey!

Glad you appreciate it Ben. Having had many experiences myself dealing with kind of shady distant types here in bitcoin land, it's a big priority for me to be present, open and honest with this project.

Cheers man.

Barntech
Barntech (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:04:54 AM

Watching. Will buy one 8 chip board for $300 this month. Any shipping fees to singapore?
Regards
EP

General apologies guys on getting shipping details up on the page. Things have been pretty hectic on this end. It is on my list and i'll get to it as soon as i can. Probably this weekend or early next week. I'll make up a table of available shipping options.

Heya! I sent you an email with details after I paid you $300 over Mt.Gox.

Just in case you didn't see that, I have a few questions:

How will paying for international shipping work?
Do you have a rough estimate of shipping costs to Canada?
For shipping type , what should I put? Could you elaborate on the types of shipping available if possible?

Thanks   Cheesy

Yes i did get your payment armed. All good.

Shipping cost worldwide will be in the general range of $50 - $100 depending on how many units you are having shipped and the shipping type chosen. Shipping types will range from normal shipping, registered post, expedited delivery etc, each costing a different price. Full details on shipping options coming soon. Thanks for your patience on this.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 148 »
  Print  

Jump to: