Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:12:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230750 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 09:53:18 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300469.msg3221155#msg3221155

<snip>
Significant payments made to fab to expedite process from usual 90+ days to 65 days.
</snip>

Ah, that was wayyyy back in September... when they expected to tape out in october... and in reality they taped out in early Nov, a month later than planned ;-)

they presumably paid even more expedite fees to speed things up even faster to make up for lost time... since on Nov 8th, when they announced tape-out, they still expected (and announced) they would get their chips back in december, which as you rightly say, wouldnt be possible if they were still on the 65 day schedule... so there must be faster expedite options (that are commensurately more expensive im sure).  Perhaps 45-50 day?   How many layers are we talking about?  50?  how many days per layer...?  0.8? 0.7?

lets wait for an official statement...

If only Cointerra had made "significant payments" to expedite tape-out.

Too bad they couldn't just throw money at their lousy engineers and expect increased competence in return.

How so many people are still clinging to the "mid-Dec" fantasy is beyond me!

I guess they think Santa's ASIC elves are building them Cointerras at the North Pole.   Roll Eyes    Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 09:54:24 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300469.msg3221155#msg3221155

<snip>
Significant payments made to fab to expedite process from usual 90+ days to 65 days.
</snip>

Ah, that was wayyyy back in September... when they expected to tape out in october... and in reality they taped out in early Nov, a month later than planned ;-)

they presumably paid even more expedite fees to speed things up even faster to make up for lost time... since on Nov 8th, when they announced tape-out, they still expected (and announced) they would get their chips back in december, which as you rightly say, wouldnt be possible if they were still on the 65 day schedule... so there must be faster expedite options (that are commensurately more expensive im sure).  Perhaps 45-50 day?   How many layers are we talking about?  50?  how many days per layer...?  0.8? 0.7?

lets wait for an official statement...

If only Cointerra had made "significant payments" to expedite tape-out.

Too bad they couldn't just throw money at their lousy engineers and expect increased competence in return.

How so many people are still clinging to the "mid-Dec" fantasy is beyond me!

I guess they think Santa's ASIC elves are building them Cointerras at the North Pole.   Roll Eyes    Cheesy

i think you're getting confused.  its a different asic company that has a mid-december fantasy...  cointerra's fantasy is late december..!

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 10:04:01 PM

i think you're getting confused.  its a different asic company that has a mid-december fantasy...  cointerra's fantasy is late december..!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mid-december+cointerra

----------------------------------->

http://www.wireservice.co/2013/09/cointerra-demonstrates-working-fpga-releases-additional-asic-chip-details/

Scheduled to ship the first mining rigs in mid-December, CoinTerra®‎ showed that their project is on target by announcing tapeout scheduled for the first week of October and chip delivery by early December. The video notes that significant payments were made to Global Foundries to secure these dates.

Next time you indulge the lazy temptation to assume I'm confused, first check your own facts.   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
aerobatic

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:34:26 PM

i think you're getting confused.  its a different asic company that has a mid-december fantasy...  cointerra's fantasy is late december..!

http://www.wireservice.co/2013/09/cointerra-demonstrates-working-fpga-releases-additional-asic-chip-details/

Scheduled to ship the first mining rigs in mid-December, CoinTerra®‎ showed that their project is on target by announcing tapeout scheduled for the first week of October and chip delivery by early December. The video notes that significant payments were made to Global Foundries to secure these dates.

Next time you indulge the lazy temptation to assume I'm confused, first check your own facts.   Wink

They sold systems with a 'december 2013' deadline - they never supplied a date, and it is usual to expect the end of the month when given a month - so we naturally assumed late december (it'd be foolish to assume anything else).  They also promised to compensate customers if they're more than 30 days late (i.e. jan 31st is the true deadline), in a similar way to hashfast who sold their systems with an october 2013 delivery date, and offered compensation/refund if they're 60 days late.  hashfast are now well past 30 days into their 60 day buffer and have to deliver by end of this month or face angry villagers with pitchforks and torches.  And with thanksgiving, xmas, and new years holidays in the middle, its a pretty difficult time to get everyone working at full steam.  Cointerra may well need to use their buffer too.. but so far, even recently, they said they're not planning to be late.  we shall see.  time will of course, tell!

meanwhile, both hashfast AND cointerra suffered their delays in the hands of their contractors.  i really don't see how you can come on here bitching that cointerra has somehow employed incompetent contractors when the very same kinds of contractors are directly responsible for delaying hashfast's silicon - and who do you think is responsible for the delays with hashfast's substrates!?  And who do you think is responsible for cointerra's tape-out delays!?  In both cases its the back-end contractors (open silicon in cointerra's case and uniquify in hashfast's case).   Both hashfast and cointerra designed their rtl themselves and then handed it over to their back-end partners for layout, physical design, tapeout, substrate design, liaising with the fabs, expediting orders etc.  in both of their cases, the delays were unexpected and beyond their control and though neither of them will say it because they won't trash the people they work with... both of their delays were most likely attributable to their contractors... and yet again, KnC, who also used similar back-end contractors (in their case Alchip)... did a great job on their physical design, AND their substrates and executed flawlessly to deliver them working first time silicon in less than 60 days from tape-out to shipping systems.  It CAN be done.  We of course hope that cointerra doesn't suffer the same delays and have to hope that open silicon, for instance, has designed good substrates for them.

hashfast taped out in late august, cointerra taped out in early nov and so hf should be more than two months ahead, but unfortunately, they were badly let down by their contractors and they've more or less lost most of that 10 week advantage that they should've had and i suspect theyre at best 3-4 weeks ahead.  its likely both companies will show working silicon in december... hashfast in early dec (presumably in mere days from now since they've shown a pic showing they've got substrates back).. and cointerra in late december (fingers crossed).   As i always say... we shall see!    The difference isn't really who ships first.. since clearly, hashfast are supposed to ship first and charged a lot more for their gigahashes than cointerra did.  cointerra priced theirs according to their ship dates, and if they end up shipping closer together than first expected, then the hashfast customers may well feel they overpaid compared to the cointerra customers.  lets take a poll of both company's customers after they both ship and see what people think.  on the other hand, since btc to the usd is going so well, maybe everyone will just be happy they both ship at all!

Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:44:23 PM

i think you're getting confused.  its a different asic company that has a mid-december fantasy...  cointerra's fantasy is late december..!

Next time you indulge the lazy temptation to assume I'm confused, first check your own facts.   Wink

They sold systems with a 'december 2013' deadline - they never supplied a date, and it is usual to expect the end of the month when given a month - so we naturally assumed late december (it'd be foolish to assume anything else).  They also promised to compensate customers if they're more than 30 days late (i.e. jan 31st is the true deadline), in a similar way to hashfast who sold their systems with an october 2013 delivery date, and offered compensation/refund if they're 60 days late.  hashfast are now well past 30 days into their 60 day buffer and have to deliver by end of this month or face angry villagers with pitchforks and torches.  And with thanksgiving, xmas, and new years holidays in the middle, its a pretty difficult time to get everyone working at full steam.  Cointerra may well need to use their buffer too.. but so far, even recently, they said they're not planning to be late.  we shall see.  time will of course, tell!

meanwhile, both hashfast AND cointerra suffered their delays in the hands of their contractors.  i really don't see how you can come on here bitching that cointerra has somehow employed incompetent contractors when the very same kinds of contractors are directly responsible for delaying hashfast's silicon - and who do you think is responsible for the delays with hashfast's substrates!?  And who do you think is responsible for cointerra's tape-out delays!?  In both cases its the back-end contractors (open silicon in cointerra's case and uniquify in hashfast's case).   Both hashfast and cointerra designed their rtl themselves and then handed it over to their back-end partners for layout, physical design, tapeout, substrate design, liaising with the fabs, expediting orders etc.  in both of their cases, the delays were unexpected and beyond their control and though neither of them will say it because they won't trash the people they work with... both of their delays were most likely attributable to their contractors... and yet again, KnC, who also used similar back-end contractors (in their case Alchip)... did a great job on their physical design, AND their substrates and executed flawlessly to deliver them working first time silicon in less than 60 days from tape-out to shipping systems.  It CAN be done.  We of course hope that cointerra doesn't suffer the same delays and have to hope that open silicon, for instance, has designed good substrates for them.

hashfast taped out in late august, cointerra taped out in early nov and so hf should be more than two months ahead, but unfortunately, they were badly let down by their contractors and they've more or less lost most of that 10 week advantage that they should've had and i suspect theyre at best 3-4 weeks ahead.  its likely both companies will show working silicon in december... hashfast in early dec (presumably in mere days from now since they've shown a pic showing they've got substrates back).. and cointerra in late december (fingers crossed).   As i always say... we shall see!    The difference isn't really who ships first.. since clearly, hashfast are supposed to ship first and charged a lot more for their gigahashes than cointerra did.  cointerra priced theirs according to their ship dates, and if they end up shipping closer together than first expected, then the hashfast customers may well feel they overpaid compared to the cointerra customers.  lets take a poll of both company's customers after they both ship and see what people think.  on the other hand, since btc to the usd is going so well, maybe everyone will just be happy they both ship at all!

Come off it aerobatic you are being way to even handed and calm about this, are you sure you don't want to throw something at someone?

Oh +1 btw..

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
aerobatic

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:48:37 PM

Come off it aerobatic you are being way to even handed and calm about this, are you sure you don't want to throw something at someone?

Oh +1 btw..

Thankyou for noticing i am trying to be even handed!  i really DO try.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 10:54:53 PM

They sold systems with a 'december 2013' deadline - they never supplied a date, and it is usual to expect the end of the month when given a month - so we naturally assumed late december (it'd be foolish to assume anything else).  

[IRRELEVANT GREAT WALL OF EVENHANDED TEXT OMITTED]

I'll make the big red "mid-December" taken directly from Cointerra's own press release even bigger and underline the "mid" so you don't miss it again.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:58:03 PM

Hey aerobatic, I thought you might find this interesting as well.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/06/gold-in-them-bits-inside-the-worlds-most-mysterious-bitcoin-mining-company/2/
edit - adding Nassar's quote about expedited ASIC production from GF:
BFL won't name any of its clients, but Ghosieri did say that the chips were designed by Chronicle Tech, based in Southern California, and that they were manufactured by GlobalFoundries. He blamed BFL’s delays on GlobalFoundries.

“We had no option to wait for them for a very long time, three months more than we had to,” he said. “In the end there was no other option. Timelines that we gave [to the public] were two months after the worst-case scenario [from GlobalFoundries]. We went for expedited fabrication—and whatever number these people gave us, let’s add two months to what they say. But what they say and what they do is very different.”

Chronicle Tech did not respond to repeated requests for comment; GlobalFoundries declined to comment.

In it, BFL blames global foundaries for being MONTHS off on delivering expedited wafers. The same foundry cointerra is counting on.. So, i dont know what to think. Btw don't take me for a troll, i was just doing research as a prospective customer. Being conned(told lies) by 3 asic manufacturers has made me very cynical now.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
aerobatic

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:01:58 PM

They sold systems with a 'december 2013' deadline - they never supplied a date, and it is usual to expect the end of the month when given a month - so we naturally assumed late december (it'd be foolish to assume anything else).  

[IRRELEVANT GREAT WALL OF EVENHANDED TEXT OMITTED]

I'll make the big red "mid-December" taken directly from Cointerra's own press release even bigger and underline the "mid" so you don't miss it again.

Whats your point?  are you saying that cointerra won't make their originally planned mid-december date (that they announced before tape-out) ?  i think we can all agree thats probably true.  Can they make late December?  Maybe.  i personally think they've a chance of it.  Maybe even a good chance.  Thats what they're saying, at least.   And yet again, being even handed n all.  Did hashfast make their mid october date for their chips?  no... they didn't.   Are you in the slightest bit worried that its december already and they are (hopefully) about to show working silicon, more than 2 months later than planned.   And yet you're quibbling over mid or late december for cointerra's intended chip delivery dates.   I really don't understand why you come on here and bitch about cointerra.  Haven't you got better things to worry about that are closer to home ?   i really hope you get your hashfast systems by mid december like they've promised.  i really hope i do too.. since I've got a big order with them.   i just don't get why you see the need to trash a competitor.   it serves no purpose at all.

Whats your problem?
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:02:41 PM

And who do you think is responsible for cointerra's tape-out delays!?  In both cases its the back-end contractors (open silicon in cointerra's case and uniquify in hashfast's case).   Both hashfast and cointerra designed their rtl themselves and then handed it over to their back-end partners for layout, physical design, tapeout, substrate design, liaising with the fabs, expediting orders etc.  in both of their cases, the delays were unexpected and beyond their control and though neither of them will say it because they won't trash the people they work with...

I should add here that Naveed Sherwani is on Cointerra's team (http://cointerra.com/team/) and is also the CEO of Open Silicon (http://www.open-silicon.com/board-of-directors/) so the relationship should hopefully be "smoother" than with other the companies.

Will

aerobatic

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:04:29 PM

Hey aerobatic, I thought you might find this interesting as well.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/06/gold-in-them-bits-inside-the-worlds-most-mysterious-bitcoin-mining-company/2/

In it, BFL blames global foundaries for being MONTHS off on delivering expedited wafers. The same foundry cointerra is counting on.. So, i dont know what to think. Btw don't take me for a troll, i was just doing research as a prospective customer. Being conned(told lies) by 3 asic manufacturers has made me very cynical now.

very interesting, and i certainly don't take you for a troll!  and lets hope that it wasn't in fact GF's fault.   Its very easy for BFL to blame someone else.  Anyone else!   I ordered a Little Single in early Feb and received it just last week... thats 9 months late.  Im sure thats GF's fault too...!??

I quite frankly don't believe a word BFL says.  And I'm not expecting them to deliver monarchs on time either.. though at least i hope they learned a lot from their previous debacle of the 65nm's.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 11:20:26 PM

Whats your point?

Whats your problem?

My point is many delusional CT customers are still clinging to their obsolete "mid December" fantasy.

My problem is you ignoring the plain language of Cointerra's own press release, and insisting they promised late Dec when they actually said "mid."

i think you're getting confused.  its a different asic company that has a mid-december fantasy...

See the ^above^ quote?  That's where you were wrong about me being confused, when in fact I knew exactly what I was talking about.

I tried to educate you on the history of Cointerra's promises, but instead of graciously accepting your mistake you chose to bloviate and dissemble.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Delmonger

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:39:42 PM

Next time you indulge the lazy temptation to assume I'm confused, first check your own facts.   Wink

Wink the fact is, is that late December can be clinged onto, and could be a fantasy, therefor doesn't exclude his statement, and could include you being confused.  Or he could be inferring you're confused because of another reason... but whether you're confused or not, I don't think is the point... but we can start a new thread about it Cheesy
Delmonger

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:43:24 PM

Whats your point?

Whats your problem?

My point is many delusional CT customers are still clinging to their obsolete "mid December" fantasy.

My problem is you ignoring the plain language of Cointerra's own press release, and insisting they promised late Dec when they actually said "mid."

i think you're getting confused.  its a different asic company that has a mid-december fantasy...

See the ^above^ quote?  That's where you were wrong about me being confused, when in fact I knew exactly what I was talking about.

I tried to educate you on the history of Cointerra's promises, but instead of graciously accepting your mistake you chose to bloviate and dissemble.

The only mistake I can see is yours, for assuming on what was meant about you being confused.  You can be confused, man up and accept the possibility.  I think you're definitely confused on multiple levels at this point Smiley  not necesarially on the statement from Cointerra, (which may or may not be the reason why you were considered confused in the first place).
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:46:16 PM

Whats your point?

Whats your problem?

aerobatic don't feed tard troll iCEBREAKER

Pinwheel

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:10:28 AM

just a "stupid" question for an investor. is refund possible with CoinTerra according to their business rules?

People have sent me offers for $12000 each for my 2 th orders.

Iv said no so far.

thank you. I see but if CoinTerra fails to deliver until a specific date how will you get your fiat back to order from others? that is my point and question if it is possible to get the fiat back if they fails to deliver e.g. until 3/31/2014.

You could sell your preorder for cash.

I have no idea what ct would do but i bet they would be happy to refund you.

CT do not refund

Tom Waits: We should just start as soon as possible cause we might catch a rabbit before we have our pants on. (Juxtapoz)
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:32:37 AM

wow this thread is dead silent..
Does late December look possible?

Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 08:09:36 AM

wow this thread is dead silent..
Does late December look possible?

their goal was to deliver a few devices in the middle of December 2013 as far as I remember.

VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:35:24 PM

Glad you cleared that all up.

Now how's the chip and PCB coming along? Still on track? Smiley

Silicon and PCB are coming along well. It's on track. There will be more updates in the coming weeks..

Can we get an update?  It's been 2 weeks since you said this..

plato14

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:29:46 AM

Glad you cleared that all up.

Now how's the chip and PCB coming along? Still on track? Smiley

Silicon and PCB are coming along well. It's on track. There will be more updates in the coming weeks..

Can we get an update?  It's been 2 weeks since you said this..

Agreed we need an update, mid December is in 6 Days, this was one of there biggest selling points, on time delivery!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: