Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:33:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [FAILED]Butterfly Labs 30 day countdown to the end of September  (Read 69425 times)
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:47:23 PM

Will anyone take the "Yes" side if someone were to set up a bet?

I'm willing to bet 2BTC that they won't even clear the Jalapeno backlog and that's shipping the fastest out of all units. Any takers?  Grin

can you clarify the exact terms of this bet? What do you mean by 'backlog' and also is this by end of September 2013?  If someone orders a jalepeno on September 30th and they don't deliver that until early October, then does this count as not clearing the backlog?

Will

Ok to be fair, let's say that by the end of Sept 2013 they ship all orders from Sept 1, 2013 and BEFORE

(In my opinion they won't even make June of 2013 but that is just me)

Your posts give me such laughs... First you comment on it taking 5 minutes to build a unit and then apply that across all product lines.  I can see a Jalapeno going together in 5 minutes... I can't see a mini-rig being built that fast unless they just dumped the boards in there and shipped it letting the customer build it themself.

Now "TO BE FAIR" you are expecting the backlog to include every order to date, months after the estimate was originally made.  Wow, I nearly choked laughing over that one.  The true backlog is the pre-orders made before the price change, even though you and many others refuse to accept it.  The Jalapeno will handily ship all the pre-order backlog by the end of this month, and the LS should also be up to that point.  The mini-rigs may hit that deadline, depending on how many were ordered after the initial glut.  I have a feeling >60%(My gut says 75% but I am hedging at 60) of all 1.5TH mini-rig units were ordered prior to Sept 2012.  The singles will not however make it unless there have been far more refunds and upgrades to Monarch than I have calculated for.

Keep up the good work though, I do so enjoy comedy.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
joeventura (OP)

Activity: 854

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:27:51 PM

I'm willing to bet 2BTC that they won't even clear the Jalapeno backlog and that's shipping the fastest out of all units. Any takers?  Grin

can you clarify the exact terms of this bet? What do you mean by 'backlog' and also is this by end of September 2013?  If someone orders a jalepeno on September 30th and they don't deliver that until early October, then does this count as not clearing the backlog?

Will

Ok to be fair, let's say that by the end of Sept 2013 they ship all orders from Sept 1, 2013 and BEFORE

are we talking just Jalapeno orders (as DyslexicZombei's statement was)?

Also, I define 'shipped' as 'having a valid USPS tracking number that validates online that the package is in the possession of the USPS' - this discounts any spurious customs issues that might delay delivery.

Will

Not just Jalapenos, all models and are you starting a Vegas book on this?

Shipped means out of their hands so if you want to get technical (won't be necessary especially since they won't get close nor will they disclose how close they are) but if I go to USPS.com and the tracking number has a scan then it's shipped.
joeventura (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:33:07 PM

can you clarify the exact terms of this bet? What do you mean by 'backlog' and also is this by end of September 2013?  If someone orders a jalepeno on September 30th and they don't deliver that until early October, then does this count as not clearing the backlog?

Will

Your posts give me such laughs... First you comment on it taking 5 minutes to build a unit and then apply that across all product lines.  I can see a Jalapeno going together in 5 minutes... I can't see a mini-rig being built that fast unless they just dumped the boards in there and shipped it letting the customer build it themself.

Now "TO BE FAIR" you are expecting the backlog to include every order to date, months after the estimate was originally made.  Wow, I nearly choked laughing over that one.  The true backlog is the pre-orders made before the price change, even though you and many others refuse to accept it.  The Jalapeno will handily ship all the pre-order backlog by the end of this month, and the LS should also be up to that point.  The mini-rigs may hit that deadline, depending on how many were ordered after the initial glut.  I have a feeling >60%(My gut says 75% but I am hedging at 60) of all 1.5TH mini-rig units were ordered prior to Sept 2012.  The singles will not however make it unless there have been far more refunds and upgrades to Monarch than I have calculated for.

ok you are right, not fair to say mini-rig takes 5 minutes.

So you are saying the backlog ends at the beginning of April?

So what are the non-delivered, non-manufactured orders placed after the price change called Josh?

The sucker orders?

joeventura (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:40:34 PM

Just got an email from KNCminer that said my order will be shipped by October 15th.

Sounds like I will get my KNCminer device before my BFL order

willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:44:45 PM

can you clarify the exact terms of this bet? What do you mean by 'backlog' and also is this by end of September 2013?  If someone orders a jalepeno on September 30th and they don't deliver that until early October, then does this count as not clearing the backlog?

Will

Also, I define 'shipped' as 'having a valid USPS tracking number that validates online that the package is in the possession of the USPS' - this discounts any spurious customs issues that might delay delivery.

Will

Shipped means out of their hands so if you want to get technical (won't be necessary especially since they won't get close nor will they disclose how close they are) but if I go to USPS.com and the tracking number has a scan then it's shipped.

not willing to do bet for all devices, unless you're willing to push the bet back to the last time where Josh asserted that all back-ordered devices would ship before end-September, which according to my records was 10 July 2013 - additionally, the original post by DyslexicZombei was for just Jalapeno, but it seems he's not reading this thread any more.

Will

bcp19

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:56:14 PM

So what are the non-delivered, non-manufactured orders placed after the price change called Josh?
The sucker orders?
1) Not Josh.  I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but still, not Josh.
2) The statement *I* read said something like "We expect to clear the backlog by September and then will ship to order".  *I* took this to mean they would finish shipping the backlog of pre-orders and then start shipping actual orders made since then.  April was when they had the chips in hand and knew the added cost from the missed power/GH specs and took down the pre-order prices and put up selling prices.
3) Orders.
4) Only if you ordered.

joeventura (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:26:26 PM

Will

Will

not willing to do bet for all devices, unless you're willing to push the bet back to the last time where Josh asserted that all back-ordered devices would ship before end-September, which according to my records was 10 July 2013 - additionally, the original post by DyslexicZombei was for just Jalapeno, but it seems he's not reading this thread any more.

Will

BET BET BET BBBET BETTT!!!

joeventura (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:34:33 PM

The sucker orders?
1) Not Josh.  I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but still, not Josh.
2) The statement *I* read said something like "We expect to clear the backlog by September and then will ship to order".  *I* took this to mean they would finish shipping the backlog of pre-orders and then start shipping actual orders made since then.  April was when they had the chips in hand and knew the added cost from the missed power/GH specs and took down the pre-order prices and put up selling prices.
3) Orders.
4) Only if you ordered.

You can't "Ship to order" if there are still 5 months of orders ahead of you.

If you aren't Josh how do you explain making statements like this?  You are clearly caught in the BFL vortex.
Or the Josh Reality Distortion field.
A Pre-Order by definition is paying for something that does not yet exist.

If you use your definition then everything that was shipped after the prototype of the first Jalapeno is not a pre-order. (which is crap)

if they have the parts (which they rarely do) and they haven't built my unit within a week or two after I order it, it's a pre-order.

When I can order (hahaha) something from BFL and get delivery in a week or two, then the backlog is cleared.

That's the difference between JIT manufacturing and Pre-Orders.

It's amazing how Butterfly labs all by themselves have blazed new paradigms in customer service, the definition of words like Pre-order, Sale, etc. No other company compares
bcp19

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:55:07 PM

You can't "Ship to order" if there are still 5 months of orders ahead of you.

If you aren't Josh how do you explain making statements like this?  You are clearly caught in the BFL vortex.
Or the Josh Reality Distortion field.
A Pre-Order by definition is paying for something that does not yet exist.

If you use your definition then everything that was shipped after the prototype of the first Jalapeno is not a pre-order. (which is crap)

if they have the parts (which they rarely do) and they haven't built my unit within a week or two after I order it, it's a pre-order.

When I can order (hahaha) something from BFL and get delivery in a week or two, then the backlog is cleared.

That's the difference between JIT manufacturing and Pre-Orders.

It's amazing how Butterfly labs all by themselves have blazed new paradigms in customer service, the definition of words like Pre-order, Sale, etc. No other company compares
Wow, since I am not a rabid syncophant denouncing BFL and choose instead to *use* the brains I own, I am either Josh or brainwashed.  Sorry dude, I am not caught in anything.

Ok, so I should have said 3) Back Order, I did make a technical mistake there.  Orders were placed for an item that could not yet be shipped, thus becoming back-ordered.
You however are still mistaking a pre-order and a back-order.  
A pre-order is an order placed for an item which has not yet been released.
A backorder is an order that cannot be currently filled or shipped, but is requested nonetheless for when the item becomes available again

You can argue semantics all you like, the backlog mentioned was clearly referring to the pre-order backlog, and the made to order comment clearly meant the backorders made since the new price came out.

While BFL *can* take care of a fair portion of the pre-order backlog by the end of September, it is doubtful they will clear it all.  It will depend on whether they switch people over from Jalapenos to other products when they complete those preorders.

joeventura (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:13:02 PM

Here is exactly what he said:

by BFL_Josh ,6-03-2013, 05:06 PM
I would like to be through the backorder log and shipping out current orders within 90 days. No guarantees there, but I think we should be able to accomplish it.

#END QUOTE#

So his first swing at bat was "backorder log" not pre-order within 90 days of June 3rd (September 3rd) which will be a fail tomorrow.

So as I dissect word for word using your definition, Josh wanted to have all Backorders shipped by September 3rd.

Backorders are everything ordered up until September 3rd or am I twisting words again?
Of has this "A backorder is an order that cannot be currently filled or shipped" changed in meaning since your last posting?

bcp19

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:20:35 PM

I would like to be through the backorder log and shipping out current orders within 90 days. No guarantees there, but I think we should be able to accomplish it.

#END QUOTE#

So his first swing at bat was "backorder log" not pre-order within 90 days of June 3rd (September 3rd) which will be a fail tomorrow.

So as I dissect word for word using your definition, Josh wanted to have all Backorders shipped by September 3rd.

Backorders are everything ordered up until September 3rd or am I twisting words again?
Of has this "A backorder is an order that cannot be currently filled or shipped" changed in meaning since your last posting?

As I am not Josh, I have no idea what he meant in terms of back-order log and current orders.  Since I did not order until Jun 5th, I did not expect my order to fall into that hope.

Since you are kind enough to have quoted it:  He starts with "I would like to be".  I don't see "We will"... do you?

He also mentions "No guarantees there".  But hey, he's given a timeline, it MUST be set in stone.

joeventura (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:29:43 PM

#END QUOTE#

As I am not Josh, I have no idea what he meant in terms of back-order log and current orders.  Since I did not order until Jun 5th, I did not expect my order to fall into that hope.

Since you are kind enough to have quoted it:  He starts with "I would like to be".  I don't see "We will"... do you?

He also mentions "No guarantees there".  But hey, he's given a timeline, it MUST be set in stone.

Right, but if he meant what YOUR definition is then you would expect your unit in September YES?

Listen, I get there are no guarantees in anything Josh says, in fact in my book the answer to the question:
How do you know when Josh is wrong?  Answer:When he communicates with customers.

Unlike others, I don't think he is a liar, I think he is incompetent.

I am just trying to light a fire under this sorry ass company. Do I expect them to even get to April 2013 on all product lines by the end of this month? Hell NO!  By October the stuff they will be delivering will be as close to paperweights as possible.

Time is of the essence despite Josh telling us that they are the only ones shipping stuff we know that is untrue and their products get more worthless with every passing day?
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:31:51 PM

How about this, quoted from after you placed your order.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/off-topic/3157-true-notice-warning-new-customers-butterfly-labs-inc-bfl.html#post39444

06-09-2013
Quote from: BFL_Josh
All current back orders will hopefully be shipped by the end of August/beginning of September.

It's one thing to have a timeline set in stone. It's another to miss every single estimated delivery date. Sooner or later you'll come to the realization that every comment by Josh is purposefully meant to mislead his customers.

Buy & Hold
joeventura (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:36:07 PM

How about this, quoted from after you placed your order.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/off-topic/3157-true-notice-warning-new-customers-butterfly-labs-inc-bfl.html#post39444

06-09-2013
Quote from: BFL_Josh
All current back orders will hopefully be shipped by the end of August/beginning of September.

It's one thing to have a timeline set in stone. It's another to miss every single estimated delivery date. Sooner or later you'll come to the realization that every comment by Josh is purposefully meant to mislead his customers.

While I hear you, I have to disagree, I really don't think he is trying to mislead, he is just incompetent.
He has not a clue as to what is going on, he has no supply chain management, vendor management or contract management skills, because if he did we would have inventory in hand.

bcp19

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:09:03 PM

#END QUOTE#

Right, but if he meant what YOUR definition is then you would expect your unit in September YES?

Listen, I get there are no guarantees in anything Josh says, in fact in my book the answer to the question:
How do you know when Josh is wrong?  Answer:When he communicates with customers.

Unlike others, I don't think he is a liar, I think he is incompetent.

I am just trying to light a fire under this sorry ass company. Do I expect them to even get to April 2013 on all product lines by the end of this month? Hell NO!  By October the stuff they will be delivering will be as close to paperweights as possible.

Time is of the essence despite Josh telling us that they are the only ones shipping stuff we know that is untrue and their products get more worthless with every passing day?
TBH, no, I never expected my order to be filled by Sept.  On Jun 5th, they were shipping Jalapenos from July the year before.  I had already looked at the spreadsheet where many users posted their orders and I knew that Mar/Apr encompassed over 50% of the totals orders including mine.  I mentioned elsewhere that I had sat down and looked at options.  The main question was one of "What can I reasonably afford?".  At that point in time, there were the occasionaly blade auctions for 50BTC, the USB erupters could be had for ~$250 ($400 if you had to use E-Bay) or the Jalapeno.  While I would have loved to get a blade, $6250 was out of my price range, and no one else offerred anything under $1,000.  Between my 2 choices, I saw $24 more for 15x the output and an interminable wait vs replacing my GPU for about the same cost but with much less power usage.

The problem here is that the more time that goes by, the more people's eyes are opened.  No one last Jun predicted what would happen to the network speed from all the orders that were placed.  I however did have a fairly clear picture when I made my purchase.  If you look at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114329.msg2796548#msg2796548 you will see that even back in July I was already commenting on how people had their eyes closed to the increase.  "potential profit" is such BS... So many people saw their little ASIC as being the only on that would be on the network and blinded themselves to the truth.

Now, today is a slightly different story.  With all of the concerns going, there is a tsunami coming and the current network difficulty will be swept away leaving people round eyed and shaking.  At this point in time, BFL's past problems are being magnified and more people are upset.  Yet, through all the abuse and hatred and vitriol, they are still there sending out product as fast as they can put it together.

Yep, they sucked at their supply chain and they sucked at efficiently getting their product to market.  But they never quit and they never walked away.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:19:50 PM

Yep, they sucked at their supply chain and they sucked at efficiently getting their product to market.  But they never quit and they never walked away.

Why would they quit when there were millions more to be fleeced via Monarch?
As long as people are willing to donate to BFL, they will be around.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
electropyro

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:48:25 PM

"Saturday Comments on Product Line
Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
57 Comments
by BFL_Jody  , 07-20-2013 at 06:36 AM (6014 Views)
BFL Products after the FPGA Series:

Part One--NOW Shipping

Jalapenos 4.5 gh/s

Jalapeno with Upgrade 6.5 gh/s

Little Singles 30 gh/s

Singles 60 gh/s

MiniRigs 1500 gh/s (which come as 3x500 gh/s or 8 Singles)

Part Two--Order NOW

5 gh/s BitCoin Miner (will ship after Jalapenos are all shipped)
with Upgrade it's a 7 gh/s Miner

25 gh/s BitCoin Miner (will ship after all Little Singles are shipped)
with Upgrade it's a 30 gh/s Miner

50 gh/s BitCoin Miner (will ship after all Singles are shipped)
with Upgrade it's a 60 gh/s Miner

500 gh/s BitCoin Miner (will ship after all MiniRigs have shipped)"

This is from one of jodys blogs. They plan on clearing part 1 of the miners by the end of september. Jalapenos are almost cleared =) once they are cleared am pretty sure they will start focusing on the singles.
bcp19

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:54:19 PM

57 Comments

Part One--NOW Shipping

Jalapenos 4.5 gh/s

Little Singles 30 gh/s

Singles 60 gh/s

Part Two--Order NOW

This is from one of jodys blogs. They plan on clearing part 1 of the miners by the end of september. Jalapenos are almost cleared =) once they are cleared am pretty sure they will start focusing on the singles.
OMG... would part one be..... PREORDERS?!?!?!?

joeventura (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:13:33 PM

57 Comments

Part One--NOW Shipping

Jalapenos 4.5 gh/s

Little Singles 30 gh/s

Singles 60 gh/s

Part Two--Order NOW

They won't make the end of September even with what you call Pre-Orders.

They have 252 days of Singles they have to get done (July 27 2012 to April 1st 2013)
Not counting the other product lines to get done in 28 days.

9 days of orders per day have to be cleared assuming they are working 7 days a week. (they are not) so more like 12 days

bcp19

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:31:59 PM

They won't make the end of September even with what you call Pre-Orders.

They have 252 days of Singles they have to get done (July 27 2012 to April 1st 2013)
Not counting the other product lines to get done in 28 days.

9 days of orders per day have to be cleared assuming they are working 7 days a week. (they are not) so more like 12 days
Since I already said I doubted the Single pre-orders would be caught up by Sept 30, does that me you agree with me?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: