Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:12:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 92 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive ASICMiner Cube Setup [HD]  (Read 187271 times)
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:41:06 AM

Quick question, and I think the answer will be "yes, but don't run both in high clock". Because I suck with hardware knowledge, makes sense to ask here before I buy or fry, I mean try, anything new  Wink

I have this PSU hooked up to one Asicminer Cube using both PCIE outputs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092ML0OC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I get 2 of these can I pull off a second Cube off the same PSU?

http://www.amazon.com/Startech-PCIE-POWER-SPLITTER-CABLE/dp/B00512IKE0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1387427592&sr=8-6&keywords=pcie+power+plug+splitters

I think I read someone saying they were powering 2 cubes off the same PSU, but when I noticed it only has 2 PCIE out I wasn't sure how they did it. From what I know, using other connectors (e.g., Molex) the wires will get too hot. Anyways, it looks like this might be the way to go, I'm just not certain. Interested in a second cube, but completely uninterested in buying another PSU, in fact that would be a deal-breaker. 

I know someone here can just glance at this and drop quick knowledge, any help would be greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wedgy2k

Activity: 329
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:57:30 AM

I've also replaced the snow-blower stock fan with a SilentTyphoon 1500rpm unit, which is MUCH quieter and moves more air.

Was this easy enough to do?, seems to be a "must do" mod to me. Can you provide a link to the new fan please?
I can only seem to locate gentle typhoon 1850rpm

Also noticed the cube works better on Slush's proxy than off BFG' one which is opposite to the V1 Blades I have.

Did you get Slush Proxy working on the RasPi (Minepeon) build?

Sorry and yes I am stalking you around the forums for Cube tips  Grin

dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 04:08:11 PM

Quick question, and I think the answer will be "yes, but don't run both in high clock". Because I suck with hardware knowledge, makes sense to ask here before I buy or fry, I mean try, anything new  Wink

I have this PSU hooked up to one Asicminer Cube using both PCIE outputs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092ML0OC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I get 2 of these can I pull off a second Cube off the same PSU?

http://www.amazon.com/Startech-PCIE-POWER-SPLITTER-CABLE/dp/B00512IKE0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1387427592&sr=8-6&keywords=pcie+power+plug+splitters

I think I read someone saying they were powering 2 cubes off the same PSU, but when I noticed it only has 2 PCIE out I wasn't sure how they did it. From what I know, using other connectors (e.g., Molex) the wires will get too hot. Anyways, it looks like this might be the way to go, I'm just not certain. Interested in a second cube, but completely uninterested in buying another PSU, in fact that would be a deal-breaker. 

I know someone here can just glance at this and drop quick knowledge, any help would be greatly appreciated!

The answer is no unfortunately. You could with the 700w version but also never with that adapter. No way you can put 300w through a single pci-e.

Adamlm

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 04:20:00 PM

What reliable PSU would you recommend to power one cube?
My 400W PSU can't handle it - the cube is starting and turing off after few seconds...

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:22:28 PM

Did you capacitor trick? Depending on the 12V rail, a 400W *might* be able to run it in steady-state, but turning off after a few seconds usually means when the relay clicks over and provides power to the dozen internal VRMs it drains the power supply's output caps faster than the supply can compensate and drops out due to overcurrent/undervolt detection.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Adamlm

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 04:26:26 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 04:50:46 PM by Adamlm

Did you capacitor trick? Depending on the 12V rail, a 400W *might* be able to run it in steady-state, but turning off after a few seconds usually means when the relay clicks over and provides power to the dozen internal VRMs it drains the power supply's output caps faster than the supply can compensate and drops out due to overcurrent/undervolt detection.
I'll try the capacitor trick, but could you describe it in details? What tools, devices I need?

If I'd like to try a new PSU, which one is better: Corsair GS800 or Corsair CX750?

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:53:31 PM

Basically, just find a relatively large (at least 1000uF, at least 16V) capacitor or two, and wedge them into the PCIe connectors. Marked lead is the negative, so black wire side; unmarked lead (which should be a bit longer) is positive so yellow wire side. These will charge up to 12V during the time the Cube is initializing, then when the relay clicks over they'll discharge into the Cube to help provide immediate current in assistance to the output capacitors already built into the power supply.
I got two Cubes a while ago, one off a 460W ATX supply with a stupidly strong 12V rail, and the other off a 500W server supply. The ATX would light things up just fine, but the server supply either had too small capacitance, or too much inbetween its caps and the outputs because it dropped out. One 1000uF 16V cap in each 6-pin connector did the trick just fine, and others have reported similar results.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Hypolite
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1027

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:57:14 PM

Hi all !!
I've 2 cubes and i don't understand i put only one cube on my CORSAIR AX860 watts, but the second green led switch on and just after my power supply switch off.

This is my power supply : http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/ax-series-power-supply-units/ax860-atx-power-supply-860-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu.html?___store=en&___from_store=fr

Have you got an idea plz ??

Yours.

Hypolite.

Adamlm

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 05:04:01 PM

Basically, just find a relatively large (at least 1000uF, at least 16V) capacitor or two, and wedge them into the PCIe connectors. Marked lead is the negative, so black wire side; unmarked lead (which should be a bit longer) is positive so yellow wire side. These will charge up to 12V during the time the Cube is initializing, then when the relay clicks over they'll discharge into the Cube to help provide immediate current in assistance to the output capacitors already built into the power supply.
I got two Cubes a while ago, one off a 460W ATX supply with a stupidly strong 12V rail, and the other off a 500W server supply. The ATX would light things up just fine, but the server supply either had too small capacitance, or too much inbetween its caps and the outputs because it dropped out. One 1000uF 16V cap in each 6-pin connector did the trick just fine, and others have reported similar results.
Thank you, so as I understand it would be something like this - just wedge the capacitor into the PCie:

Does it matter where exactly put them, which slots? One or two per connector?
I'll try tomorrow before getting a new PSU...

bitterdog

Activity: 728
Merit: 503

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:13:29 PM

thx I went ahead and got one from eBay.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331088232778

hopefully its here before I leave on vacation. that should work perfect for me to run my 4 cubes out in the workshop and not heating my house

Got my router today. Setup took literally 5 mins .. Now I am heating up the garage instead of my house!! =)

Thanks again!!

BTW I used this video tutorial to guide me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS-Jk-v0Aaw

Awesome!  Glad you was able to get them working so easily.  I think I might move mine to the garage as well during the winter.  It's basically an icebox right now in there.

Ya this works out perfectly. I leave for a 2 week vacation tomorrow so I set up team viewer so I can restart them etc if the power happens to go out or something while im gone.

▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀███████████████
██████████▄   ▀█████████████
████████████▄   ▀███████████
██████████████▄   ▀█████████
█████████████▀   ▄██████████
███████████▀   ▄████████████
██████████▄  ▄██████████████
███████████████████████████
 ▀████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀▀▀

⬢⬢

⬢⬢

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄██████████▀▀▀█▀█▄
██ ▀█████▀     ▀██
██▌   ▀▀▀      ███
███▄           ███
████▀         ████
▀████▄     ▄▄████▀
   ▀▀▄▄▄▄████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  ▐███
██████▀▀  ▄   ████
███▀   ▄█▀   ▐████
████▄▄█▀     █████
▀█████▌ ▄▄▄ ▐████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄███████▀   ▐████▄
████████  ▄███████
██████      ██████
████████  ████████
████████  ████████
▀███████  ███████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄██▀█▀███▄▄
▄███▀▀▀ ▀ ▀▀█████▄
██████ ████▄ █████
██████ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████
██████ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████
██████ ████▀ █████
▀███▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄█████▀
   ▀▀██▄█▄███▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:17:27 PM

One thing I have noticed is I keep blowing the cube fuses after 24 hours running on high.  Since you will be gone for an extended period you may want to run them on low for the time you are away.  Hate to see you blow your fuses and lose out 2 weeks of hashing.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:27:15 PM

Does it matter where exactly put them, which slots? One or two per connector?

I did one per connector. Looks like your wiring is accurate, but if you stick them in the front you won't be able to plug it into the Cube; I'd wedge them in on the wire side so the capacitor leads make contact with the crimp ends of the connectors inside the plastic housing.

One thing I have noticed is I keep blowing the cube fuses after 24 hours running on high.

Have you measured the output voltage from your power supply? If it's running low, the current will run high for the same power draw and that could be doing it. I've blown a few fuses on one of mine, but only after the relay driver roasted itself and I had to jerryrig a replacement which left some high impedance connections on the input power (thereby increasing both current strain and heat strain on the fuse). Before that, my fuses were holding out just fine with even higher than stock-overclock clocks installed.

claudiofoggia

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:00:59 PM

hello guys, I tried to go to the configuration page of the cube with the address (http :/ / 192.168.1.254:8000) I just always error and will not let me access the page
I connected the cube to the PC with USB port and is read by the PC
help me please let ...
claudiofoggia

Activity: 16

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:17:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcOcAs8o5w
you know what it does in this video before you get to the web page blue?
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:28:22 PM

hello guys, I tried to go to the configuration page of the cube with the address (http :/ / 192.168.1.254:8000) I just always error and will not let me access the page
I connected the cube to the PC with USB port and is read by the PC
help me please let ...

This thread has already answered people having the same issue.  You might go back and read through the posts.  You might start here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=352658.msg4001677#msg4001677
babaji.ca

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:24:54 PM

Hi all !!
I've 2 cubes and i don't understand i put only one cube on my CORSAIR AX860 watts, but the second green led switch on and just after my power supply switch off.

This is my power supply : http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/ax-series-power-supply-units/ax860-atx-power-supply-860-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu.html?___store=en&___from_store=fr

Have you got an idea plz ??

Yours.

Hypolite.

I think that corsair model is a rebadged seasonic,  i had to return my seasonic because it had too much 'intelligence' and would shut off after about 1.75 seconds after starting it up. I think the cubes tries to take a very hard and fast drink when they first spark up. It drains the PSUs capacitors and shuts off.

****** I would stay away from Seasonic PSU's  mine was a Seasonic X-1050  I think we should start a list of 'cube hostile' PSU's and have the OP post it at the start of this thread!

my suggestion get any decent 800 watt PS with 4 pci-e cables built in.

The GS800's were on sale recently, they are working great for me.

<<begin list of Cube Unfriendly PSUs>>>
Seasonic X-1050
Corsair Ax860 <<?? can anyone else confirm?>
newtondf

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:19:45 PM

Hi friends! For 1 cube is possible to use 2 adapters photo with a power 400w?
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1339/4pin.jpg
mobile

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 10:04:15 PM

I've only had Cubes running overclocked for two or three weeks, but no issues past a single X'd card - just haven't had time to fix it. About half my cards have actually been jacked to a higher-than-factory overclock just because.

I have a Blade that's been in continual operation at 20% faster than these Cubes' overclock frequency, for two months without a single issue. The way I figure, as long as you keep them cool enough, they should last their expected (profitable) lifetime.

Also, effin' YES on the DDWRT. My last two wireless routers were both flashed to said firmware, and I have another running around which needs to be given "the treatment".
Thanks for your input. I have been "cycling" them for lack of a better word. I run them 8 hours on low and 8 hours on high. Perhaps its overkill but I sleep better by doing this  Grin

"The Treatment", I like how you put that. Yes, any flashable router that enters the house will not keep its OEM virginity for long  Grin

I am using BFGminer on RPi as proxy server.  Running Corsair 750M power supply.  Pool with Bitminter.

Can't figure out why the long poll shows inactive, when BFGminer setting is long poll = active.

Any ideas?

I have run into the same situation regarding the "Long Poll inactive" and have noticed that my stale share percentage is out of the desirable range. I was researching this and saw that Dogie made this comment below. Is there a short answer or any insight one of you could give regarding making my hardware & my stratum proxy "play nice". I am running the latest version of BFGMiner, my networking is cleaned up, exceptions made in any firewalls etc etc. Cant figure it out. I have tried 3-4 different pools to see if that would clear the problem up and still the same.

Your blade and stratum proxy aren't playing nice, hence 'long poll inactive'.

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3
midniteslide

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:23:03 PM

What power supply are you running?
What mining program are you running & stratum proxy?
Any other relevant information you could share? Like, what is the LED doing? What does the web interface tell you.
What do you mean they "restart". I assume they continue to run in standby mode? If you prefer to keep this on the public board. feel free to quote this and reply back on the board. cheers.

My power supply is a Corsair CX800
I am connecting the blade and the cube via slush's proxy (since I can't seem to get the BFGminer proxy to work right)
I have tried both slush's pool and BTCGuild (i prefer BTCGuild)
They blade and cube are properly cooled in a server room with dedicated AC kept at 60 degrees F and fans blowing directly on them
They are connected directly to a dedicated DSL line (not the best, but I chose to do it this way because it bypasses my company firewall)

I haven't actually sat to observe the status LED, but I just went down now to check it out and I just see it blinking repeatedly.

They will hash fine for about 10 minutes and then they just suddenly stop receiving work. When this happens, I see on the mining proxy that it stops showing the messages where it shows the username for the blade and the username for the cube doing work, and it only shows messages like "new job xxxxxx" which seems to me like the proxy is still requesting jobs from the pool, but it's just not passing it to the ASICs for some reason.

On the web config, I notice that the running time for both the blade and the cube are always the same, meaning that they are restarting themselves at the exact same time.

My blade is the new blade model. My cube is from CanaryInTheMine's most recent batch.

I hope this is enough information Smiley

Is your IP for the proxy static?
bitterdog

Activity: 728
Merit: 503

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:46:09 AM

You think this might be a issue where I need to take time to take it apart and reseat and tighten everything down ? Or just bad chips? running off a Corsair TX850M

▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀███████████████
██████████▄   ▀█████████████
████████████▄   ▀███████████
██████████████▄   ▀█████████
█████████████▀   ▄██████████
███████████▀   ▄████████████
██████████▄  ▄██████████████
███████████████████████████
 ▀████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀▀▀

⬢⬢

⬢⬢

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄██████████▀▀▀█▀█▄
██ ▀█████▀     ▀██
██▌   ▀▀▀      ███
███▄           ███
████▀         ████
▀████▄     ▄▄████▀
   ▀▀▄▄▄▄████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  ▐███
██████▀▀  ▄   ████
███▀   ▄█▀   ▐████
████▄▄█▀     █████
▀█████▌ ▄▄▄ ▐████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄███████▀   ▐████▄
████████  ▄███████
██████      ██████
████████  ████████
████████  ████████
▀███████  ███████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄██▀█▀███▄▄
▄███▀▀▀ ▀ ▀▀█████▄
██████ ████▄ █████
██████ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████
██████ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████
██████ ████▀ █████
▀███▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄█████▀
   ▀▀██▄█▄███▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 92 »
  Print  

Jump to: