Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:46:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive ASICMiner Cube Setup [HD]  (Read 187271 times)
BillTech

Activity: 296
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:09:17 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 11:28:18 PM by BillTech

does it require numeric ip as server pool host bottom image is named for server
also notice one clocks high and ones low

also that address doesn't resolve for me
•›› DNS: getwork.d7.it ...
•›› DNS-Error: getwork.d7.it

there stratum server resolves
•›› DNS: stratum.d7.lt ...
•›› DNS-Resolve: stratum.d7.lt is 84.240.24.209
DanZaph

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 11:54:00 PM

ok here's some detailed pictures
Thanks to BillTech for the great photos and relay research!

I notice a couple of interesting things from the closeup. Here is a portion of the image with annotating rectangles I have added:

The orange annotation shows a trace across the fuse, possible for testing and insufficient to handle the full load. I suspect that trying to run the cube without the fuse would vaporize this trace--with no harm.

The two blue annotations are probably used to indicate is one of the PCI_E connectors is not in place. We have noticed that there is different results with only one connected.

From the relay spec sheet note that the max in-rush current is 40A. That the knock-off-nib is in place is probably an error and probably should be removed.

Old enough to have lived dangerously—great times!
Setting up a ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube
shinaj

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:05:31 AM

I was playing with the settings, so that's how one clocked high and one low. I've tried everything. I've changed to the numeric ip you gave me for the stratum pool. I'll see how that works. I think they have their own stratum proxie there, so I'll give it a little while and see if it begins to hash. I never thought to test if the get work DNS was still active, that was a mistake. Hopefully I'll get it to do something with these new settings.
JLebowskiTheDude

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:11:38 AM

command line syntax
cd C:\Proxy
mining_proxy.exe -o stratum.btcguild.com -p 3333 -gp 8332

Looks correct.

This looks fine.  It's mining. A little on the slow side.  Clock is set to Low FYI.

Set Gateway to 192.168.1.1.  Shouldn't make much difference, but better to have it correct.

Pool is currently set to B, not A.  

I'm unfamiliar with that specific pool.  Do you have details or a link you can post to verify what you've entered is correct?

I've since experimented with both cubes and have found that one of them (202) will mine, but the other one (204) will not mine at all and throws the errors previously posted. I'm currently mining at BTC with stratum with the working cube and am experimenting with the get work protocol on the non-functional cube. So far I haven't been able to get the second cube to mine at all. I've tried them both separately, so it isn't a power issue, it's the cube itself. When I try to use both cubes to mine, the working cube cuts way down on hash rate and the non-working one does not hash at all. I'm confounded. I have no idea what to try next.

Have you tried just setting the second Cube (204) to similar settings to first Cube (202)?

Such as:

IP: 192.168.1.204
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
WEB Port: 8000
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Pool Ports: 8332,8332
Pool Addresses: 192.168.1.111,192.168.1.111
Miners user:pass: Copy your user:pass field from Cube 1

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:16:06 AM

Clock button toggles Low/High Clock.  Click Update/Restart after changing those values to commit.

Pools button toggles Pool A and Pool B.  Click Update/Restart after changing those values to commit as well  

I believe the server address can be either an IP address or a name address.

You may need to be running that address (stratum.d7.it) through an instance of the mining_proxy.exe.   Then point the Cube to computer running that proxy as you're doing with the first Cube (202).  I have no idea.  I'm not familiar with that pool.

You can run multiple instances of mining_proxy.exe on the same computer.

BillTech

Activity: 296
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:51:52 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 02:17:07 AM by BillTech

ok here's some detailed pictures
Thanks to BillTech for the great photos and relay research!

I notice a couple of interesting things from the closeup. Here is a portion of the image with annotating rectangles I have added:

The orange annotation shows a trace across the fuse, possible for testing and insufficient to handle the full load. I suspect that trying to run the cube without the fuse would vaporize this trace--with no harm.

The two blue annotations are probably used to indicate is one of the PCI_E connectors is not in place. We have noticed that there is different results with only one connected.

From the relay spec sheet note that the max in-rush current is 40A. That the knock-off-nib is in place is probably an error and probably should be removed.

hey thanks was hoping to help someone this units under warranty so im not messing with it but it is the 2nd one in a row that has buzzed out of the relay then popped fuses batting 1 outta 3 so far
Johnshpon3

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:57:08 AM

Anyway I was in contact with seller and they sent me picture which contact of relay I should shortened.
Problem solved, safety decreased but hashing...for now. Smiley
Care to share that information and image?

OK...I hope now it will work...imgur and inserting images here is killing me.
Image:
https://i.imgur.com/9eMElsi.jpg

Best regards

How would one Short these two pins? Wire and electric tape or a solder job? I ask because I have no solder experience.  Thanks!

Take soldering iron and put it to both pins same time till it melt. Same time you add some soldering wire and you will get little soldering bubble which will connect both pins. No need to add any other things (copper wire, tape....). It worked for me and now Cube works without interruptions.
But think about other possibility: maybe you have PS which can not provide enough current to your cube. Because of that voltage drops and relay K1 begin to 'buzz'.
DanZaph

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 03:36:47 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 04:28:53 PM by DanZaph

It worked for me and now Cube works without interruptions.
But think about other possibility: maybe you have PS which can not provide enough current to your cube. Because of that voltage drops and relay K1 begin to 'buzz'.
The last sentence is interesting and perhaps key.

Why is the relay "buzzing"? A couple o possibilities:
1. The relay is defective. This would be very rare and there are many reported instances.
2. The control circuit is repeatedly activation and deactivating the relay.
I like number 2

Here is my scenario 1:
1a. The control circuit (probably involving a processor) senses the 12v supply is sufficient and energizes the relay.
1b. The extra load causes the supply voltage to drop and the control circuit  senses 12v supply is insufficient and de-energizes the relay.
1c. 1a and 1b repeat.

Here is my scenario 2:
2a) The relay closes
2b) The PSU over current protection drops the voltage.
2c) he Cube sees the voltage drop and opens the relay.
2d) The PSU no longer has an over current condition, restores the voltage.
2e) The Cube sees sufficient voltage, closes the relay
This repeats and the relay buzzes.

The supply voltage drop may be only momentary due to the current surge of powering up the device hashing. This could be caused by a PSU without enough capacity to handle the in-rush current. Or the PCI-E wires having to high a resistance (to long, wire gage to small). The "trick" of adding a substantially sized capacitor at the Cube's connector tends to support this theory.

What we need is someone with a storage-scope (or the modern equivalent) to examine two things: 1) The instantaneous voltage drop at the Cube on relay closing. 2) The instantaneous voltage drop in the PCI-E wire, this along with the resistance of the wire will provide the in-rush current. (I no longer have a storage scope.) Then we would have sone solid evidence to go on.

More info on PSU over current protection:
IEC 60950-1 that states that no single conductor can carry more than 240 W,
The ATX12V specification includes a requirement for an over current protection circuit in order to shut down any rail that pulls more than 240 W.

See: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-Power-Supply-Protections/905/4 for more information.

chadwickx16

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:53:59 PM

Anyway I was in contact with seller and they sent me picture which contact of relay I should shortened.
Problem solved, safety decreased but hashing...for now. Smiley
Care to share that information and image?

OK...I hope now it will work...imgur and inserting images here is killing me.
Image:

Best regards

How would one Short these two pins? Wire and electric tape or a solder job? I ask because I have no solder experience.  Thanks!

Take soldering iron and put it to both pins same time till it melt. Same time you add some soldering wire and you will get little soldering bubble which will connect both pins. No need to add any other things (copper wire, tape....). It worked for me and now Cube works without interruptions.

Thanks! No, it's definitely not a power issue, I had it hooked up to a AX1200 and a AX1200i. I'll test that out this weekend.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████████████
░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████████████
░░████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░▀███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████████████████
░░░░░▄▄██████████████████████████████████
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌
▐█████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
▐██████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░███████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░▐████████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░▐███████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
DanZaph

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 04:14:44 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 04:28:17 PM by DanZaph

Thanks! No, it's definitely not a power issue, I had it hooked up to a AX1200 and a AX1200i. I'll test that out this weekend.
Note that ATX PSUs are supposed to have separate "rails", each with over current protection. Thus a larger PSU has more "rails" (PCI-E) connectors but each has separate over current protection.

Adding another scenario:
a) The relay closes
b) The PSU over current protection drops the voltage.
c) he Cube sees the voltage drop and opens the relay.
d) The PSU no longer has an over current condition, restores the voltage.
e) The Cube sees sufficient voltage, closes the relay

Apteryx

Activity: 36

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 12:12:26 AM

Note that ATX PSUs are supposed to have separate "rails", each with over current protection. Thus a larger PSU has more "rails" (PCI-E) connectors but each has separate over current protection.

Adding another scenario:
a) The relay closes
b) The PSU over current protection drops the voltage.
c) he Cube sees the voltage drop and opens the relay.
d) The PSU no longer has an over current condition, restores the voltage.
e) The Cube sees sufficient voltage, closes the relay

I would try adding a pair of large caps (10,000 uf) to the PCIe connectors as per the earlier parts of this thread,if it is voltage drop condition and it is only while the cube is starting then that may fix the problem, if, however the PSU cannot supply the continuous voltage necessary then that will make no difference.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 01:01:47 AM

Unfortunately the 'better' PSUs have overload protection that will be triggered by a cube. It sucks I know, my 1500W is crying in the corner because its relegated to powering gen 1 Avalons.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:58:57 AM

I agree with DanZaph, Apteryx, and dogie.

It could very well be a power issue.

stex2009
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 02:41:12 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153173
When I use this PSU, my cube disconnects every few hours. Cube works fine on corsair 750W modular. Strange! why would that be? How come some PSU s work fine on cube and some others don't, even when they are very similar?
DanZaph

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 02:50:38 AM

Unfortunately the 'better' PSUs have overload protection that will be triggered by a cube. It sucks I know, my 1500W is crying in the corner because its relegated to powering gen 1 Avalons.

The thing about the "ATX" PSUs is that they are purpose build to power a computer, a Cube is not a computer and has different power requirements; surprise, there are problems. They are being used because they are inexpensive, they are mass produced and they are cheap.

In the "day" when I was designing electronics I was used to purchasing single voltage units with current foldback for over current and crowbars to prevent over voltage. They can still be purchased, Lambda is still in business. But the price is much higher.

But today one can buy a 12v 30a supply from Amazon for $25 to $40 +shipping, just search for "12v 30A power supply". They do not come with PCI-E cables & connectors.
Example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7CWSCG/

Some one should try one.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:14:56 AM

When I use this PSU, my cube disconnects every few hours. Cube works fine on corsair 750W modular. Strange! why would that be? How come some PSU s work fine on cube and some others don't, even when they are very similar?

I think we already had this conversation with you, stex2009.   Tongue

Not all power supplies are equal.  Most power supplies are not made by the company branding and selling various model supplies.  They are built by other companies and as you might guess (or not), the quality of the components and the design can vary quite a bit.

Even the mighty Corsair falls into that group.

One of the few companies that actually designs and builds their own power supplies is Sea Sonic.  There are other companies that do as well but I'd say Sea Sonic is one of the more respected and recognized brand names at the consumer market level that does it.  There are a few companies that rebrand SeaSonic power supplies as a different brand.  XFX is one of those brands.  Some Corsair models are also rebranded Sea Sonic design platforms.  There are others.

I'm not familair with the specific Thermaltake model you linked to.  I know Thermaltake has used Channel Well as their OEM in the past but I can't say who made this supply and what quality components may be contained therein.

As DanZaph eludes to this might be an okay choice for an actual computer, but the power requirements that are being demanded from it by the Cube might be a bit too much for it to consistently handle.

stex2009
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:27:46 AM

I think we already had this conversation with you, stex2009.   Tongue

Not all power supplies are equal.  Most power supplies are not made by the company branding and selling various model supplies.  They are built by other companies and as you might guess (or not), the quality of the components and the design can vary quite a bit.

Even the mighty Corsair falls into that group.

One of the few companies that actually designs and builds their own power supplies is Sea Sonic.  There are other companies that do as well but I'd say Sea Sonic is one of the more respected and recognized brand names at the consumer market level that does it.  There are a few companies that rebrand SeaSonic power supplies as a different brand.  XFX is one of those brands.  Some Corsair models are also rebranded Sea Sonic design platforms.  There are others.

I'm not familair with the specific Thermaltake model you linked to.  I know Thermaltake has used Channel Well as their OEM in the past but I can't say who made this supply and what quality components may be contained therein.

As DanZaph eludes to this might be an okay choice for an actual computer, but the power requirements that are being demanded from it by the Cube might be a bit too much for it to consistently handle.

I see the list of PSUs by dogie now. no TT in there.
sgginc

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 12:32:15 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 12:59:04 PM by sgginc

The thing about the "ATX" PSUs is that they are purpose build to power a computer, a Cube is not a computer and has different power requirements; surprise, there are problems. They are being used because they are inexpensive, they are mass produced and they are cheap.

In the "day" when I was designing electronics I was used to purchasing single voltage units with current foldback for over current and crowbars to prevent over voltage. They can still be purchased, Lambda is still in business. But the price is much higher.

But today one can buy a 12v 30a supply from Amazon for $25 to $40 +shipping, just search for "12v 30A power supply". They do not come with PCI-E cables & connectors.
Example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7CWSCG/
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ftiQr5R7L._SY300_.jpg

Some one should try one.

Just wired one up, see pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/65xn2gvlqtuxdcs/IMG_0046.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps56h7qppetyb1h/IMG_0045.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpj7socup8wua4f/IMG_0047.jpg

Materials:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7CWSCG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You need 2 of these:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10245&cs_id=1024503&p_id=2883&seq=1&format=2

Running on low now, ~32GHs

I'm going to let it run on low for awhile then kick it to high.
I'll post back after that.

I also installed a better fan (It moves a lot more air):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835132022

And a filter (Fit best on outside):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DBU88C8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks   ...   Ken

Edit:
The fan is noisy.
Couldn't hear the stock fan.
This one is very noticeable.
DanZaph

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 01:10:02 PM

Ken, wow!
Great cable harness, great find on the low cost PCI-E connectors. What gage wire did you use going to the power supply?

sgginc

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:12:39 PM

Ken, wow!
Great cable harness, great find on the low cost PCI-E connectors. What gage wire did you use going to the power supply?

14ga.
Got it off Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281104564670?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281104567153?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

On low none of the wire/connections/solder joints are warm.
The PS is slightly warm (has a fan).
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »
  Print  

Jump to: