Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:10:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636401 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:47:14 PM

And there's Warming Island, which you gotta dig.  

Because all that polar ice is melting, this island just comes up where it's never been before.  Right out of the sea!  So they name it Warming Island, because obviously it's caused by Global Warming.  

Now don't go get confused and say silly stuff like "But..Butt...But I thought sea levels were supposed to RISE?"

You see, they might rise here and fall there.  That's why we've been telling you it's Climate Change, dude.  As this change happens faster and faster, it could get to where islands rise and fall all the time.  Whole nations come out of the ocean and then go down in the ocean, sort of like they are on a gigantic yoyo string...

Warming Island...

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2008/03/31/warming-island-another-global-warming-myth-exposed/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 11:44:23 PM

Because all that polar ice is melting, this island just comes up where it's never been before.  Right out of the sea!  So they name it Warming Island, because obviously it's caused by Global Warming.  

Now don't go get confused and say silly stuff like "But..Butt...But I thought sea levels were supposed to RISE?"

You see, they might rise here and fall there.  That's why we've been telling you it's Climate Change, dude.  As this change happens faster and faster, it could get to where islands rise and fall all the time.  Whole nations come out of the ocean and then go down in the ocean, sort of like they are on a gigantic yoyo string...

Warming Island...

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2008/03/31/warming-island-another-global-warming-myth-exposed/

How can I use this animation to demonstrate the Warming Island phenomenon?

Cool

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 12:40:53 AM

Warming Island...

Somehow your text reminded me of this:

Actually this might be an idea who's time has come...thanks to public schools and their awesome work in the task of destroying the herd's ability to reason almost at all.

I'm thinking that if we give some grant money to some NGOs they could do some studies demonstrating the rather obvious solution to to continental drift menace being the driving in some piling.

---

Somehow my text reminded of a related issue.  A year or two ago there were a bunch of stories about how pharmaceuticals were passing right through people and contaminating our water supply (necessitating a bigger EPA budget and more power over lands and waters to deal with this terrible menace of course.)  I can imagine a couple of smart-ass policy marketers taking bets on whether the American people were so stupid that they'd fall for that one.  As it happened a large number of people I know took that story hook, line, and sinker.

Now those same smart-ass policy marketing people decided to do one better.  The recent story about anesthesia gasses from the operating room being a 'greenhouse gas' was the result.  Even a person with a medical degree was taken for a ride.  I can imagine the same guy who lost the bet on the the pharma deal saying 'no fucking way' on this anesthesia one.  And losing again.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/surgical-anesthesia-may-act-greenhouse-gases-contributing-global-warming-328460

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:52:49 AM

Warming Island...

Actually this might be an idea who's time has come...thanks to public schools and their awesome work in the task of destroying the herd's ability to reason almost at all.....
Indeed, some of these Sciency and Truthy stories of illogic may actually be part of a hidden set of conspiratorial tests by the NWO, to determine if their Progressive Stupidification has succeeded. 

Now, we know that with Global Warming, the habits of many birds, plants animals and other creatures, including zombies, aliens, and the rare but troublesome species such as the Freddy Krugers, the Candymen, and the Deniers, will change.  Yes, climate change causes change in the behavior of these creatures.  Even the lowly penquin has drastically changed it's migratory patterns and is now a prime candidate for Saturday barbeque.  And eat them while you can, because the hardy Eskimos and others of the far north, deprived of there native foodsources of course, by Climate Change, have taken to selectively eating of the hordes of displaced humans trekking north, away from the oppressively hot cities.  Generally these are just the northern cities, such as New York, Chicago, and other paragons of industry, lacking in air conditioning of course.

Nothing has changed a bit in Amarillo, Texas with the new onslaught of Climate Change.

Anyway, get your bird guns out and be on the watch for those penguins.  Here's what they look like when they swarm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfWzp7rYR4
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 04:32:43 PM

Warming Island...

Actually this might be an idea who's time has come...thanks to public schools and their awesome work in the task of destroying the herd's ability to reason almost at all.....
Indeed, some of these Sciency and Truthy stories of illogic may actually be part of a hidden set of conspiratorial tests by the NWO, to determine if their Progressive Stupidification has succeeded. 

Now, we know that with Global Warming, the habits of many birds, plants animals and other creatures, including zombies, aliens, and the rare but troublesome species such as the Freddy Krugers, the Candymen, and the Deniers, will change.  Yes, climate change causes change in the behavior of these creatures.  Even the lowly penquin has drastically changed it's migratory patterns and is now a prime candidate for Saturday barbeque.  And eat them while you can, because the hardy Eskimos and others of the far north, deprived of there native foodsources of course, by Climate Change, have taken to selectively eating of the hordes of displaced humans trekking north, away from the oppressively hot cities.  Generally these are just the northern cities, such as New York, Chicago, and other paragons of industry, lacking in air conditioning of course.

Nothing has changed a bit in Amarillo, Texas with the new onslaught of Climate Change.

Anyway, get your bird guns out and be on the watch for those penguins.  Here's what they look like when they swarm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfWzp7rYR4

I remember penguins flying south every year above my head. Now, because of global warming and stupid humans and exxon, I can hardly see any. Somebody should pass a tax law to bring them back.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:50:42 PM

I remember penguins flying south every year above my head. Now, because of global warming and stupid humans and exxon, I can hardly see any. Somebody should pass a tax law to bring them back.

You do know that meat production is a real problem right?  All those cows generate more carbon pollution than automobiles.  That's got to change, if the planet's going to live.  And we gotta save the planet, because it's the only one we got.

So these cows, they are a big problem.  And the pigs, goats and chickens, too.  In the long run, it'd be best to go vegan, but in the mean time, it's important for everyone to do their fair share to help.  This means eating a lot of meat.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 02:32:47 AM

You do know that meat production is a real problem right?  All those cows generate more carbon pollution than automobiles.  That's got to change, if the planet's going to live.  And we gotta save the planet, because it's the only one we got.

So these cows, they are a big problem.  And the pigs, goats and chickens, too.  In the long run, it'd be best to go vegan, but in the mean time, it's important for everyone to do their fair share to help.  This means eating a lot of meat.

Hmm... It sounds like vegans are not doing their part to save the planet, right now...

Cool

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 04:14:34 AM

You do know that meat production is a real problem right?  All those cows generate more carbon pollution than automobiles.  That's got to change, if the planet's going to live.  And we gotta save the planet, because it's the only one we got.

So these cows, they are a big problem.  And the pigs, goats and chickens, too.  In the long run, it'd be best to go vegan, but in the mean time, it's important for everyone to do their fair share to help.  This means eating a lot of meat.

I'm doing my part.  I picked up the remains of the pig my neighbor raised for me today.  All nicely wrapped up and frozen.  I told him to watch and see if I'm not right that if Hillary wins in 2016, and maybe even if she does not, those frozen packages right from the meat cutter will be contraband within 4 years or so.

Also today I picked up my elk tag.  We eat quite a lot of 'bush meat' in this area.

Lastly, I still have a good part of half a grass fed beef carcass in the freezer.  We get a half every year from a family friend.  The animal was raised in his field which is dry-ish because his grandfather commissioned dredges back around the turn of the century and made dikes.  The guy did the whole slough and a whole community was formed with schools and what-not.  The greens hate this type of agriculture more than anything and they are achieving pretty good results at getting the tide gates removed and people flooded out and herded into the 'compact complete communities' (aka 'stack-and-pack'.)  These are the 'human settlements' that the U.N. has been dreaming of since the 1970's and flying bureaucrats all around the world to organize.

edits: slight, link

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 02:09:02 PM

There's no denying this label packs a political punch

The word "denial" -- meaning refusal or withholding -- entered the English language from Old French hundreds of years ago, but it gained linguistic muscle with A.A. Brill's translation of the Austrian father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud, in the early 20th century.

Denial, or Verneinung in Freud's German, came to mean refusing to acknowledge a painful or uncomfortable truth, despite overwhelming evidence.

In politics, there was "Holocaust denial," "moon-landing denial" and "evolution denial" -- all flowing from Freud, with its implications not only of untruth but of mental illness.

And now the word's in the center ring of the global warming fight: "climate denial."

"Climate change has always been a kind of a framing war," said George Marshall, founder of the Climate Outreach Information Network in Great Britain and the author of the book "Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change." "If you can get out there and you can get your language inserted into the discourse, it's your ideas that dominate."

Marshall and co-author Mark Lynas published the first reference to "climate denier" in the English-language press in a 2003 op-ed they wrote for the left-leaning magazine The New Statesman.

They wanted those words to sting.

They did -- and still do. Consider that the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) threatened to sue left-leaning Common Cause and the League of Conservation Voters last month, charging that they had falsely branded ALEC as promoting "climate denial" (E&ENews PM, April 6).

Environmentalists, meanwhile, label opponents as "deniers" when they disavow not only the link between warming and human emissions but the urgency of the issue or the policies designed to address it.

An offshoot of the Obama presidential campaign, Organizing for America (OFA), ran a "Climate Change Fantasy Tournament" alongside the NCAA's March Madness brackets, asking supporters to "vote for the worst denier in America." Senate Environment and Public Works Chairman James Inhofe (R-Okla.) won for tossing a snowball on the Senate floor (E&E Daily, Feb. 27).

"Deniers" also figured in recent League of Conservation Voters' pleas for funding and in Climate Action Campaign messaging about House legislation to allow states to opt out of U.S. EPA's carbon rule for power plants. The campaign wrote recently that the bill now working its way through the lower chamber is "part of a broader effort by climate deniers to eviscerate the President's Clean Power Plan."

But while environmentalists say they are making inroads with a public that is increasingly aware of climate change and impatient with those who continue to dispute it, they're a long way from what Marshall says is the endgame.

"In the end, if you win the frame war, your opponents back off and they start using your language," he said. "And then you've won."

'Mutually reinforcing'

The battle over what to call combatants in the climate wars began when global warming researchers began marching to Capitol Hill.

It started on a sweltering June day in 1988 when NASA physicist James Hansen famously told a Senate committee that global warming was underway and could produce catastrophic results; he was branded an "alarmist" by those who disagreed with him.

His opponents -- including Massachusetts Institute of Technology atmospheric physicist Richard Lindzen and climatologist Patrick Michaels, who is now at the libertarian Cato Institute -- were referred to as either "contrarians" or "skeptics" by the print media that year, according to Brigitte Nerlich of the University of Nottingham in the United Kingdom.

Nerlich, who specializes in climate linguistics, wrote in a 2013 blog post that the two sides "have travelled alongside each other for at least a quarter of a century and that the core tenets of these discourses have not changed substantially, and neither have some of [their] most visible proponents."

"In fact," she wrote, "these two discourses seem to be mutually reinforcing each other."

The term "skeptic" -- modified with "greenhouse" or "climate change" -- had been used mostly by climate change believers since the early 1980s. The first published reference was in 1981 in The New York Times. It gained in prominence after Hansen's testimony, and was the overwhelmingly dominant term by the time the Kyoto Protocol was adopted in 1997, for the first time limiting greenhouse gas emissions internationally.

But then "skeptics" embraced it. Marc Morano, publisher of the Climate Depot blog and a former Inhofe aide, said the term captured the essential points for his side: that there shouldn't be a rush to embrace the widely held scientific view that human emissions are leading to harmful warming, and that the public should entertain other views and other data.

"The reason 'skeptic' is so apt, I believe, is because we were told that there was a consensus and this is no longer up for debate," he said in an interview. "We're skeptical of those claims."

Then it was climate believers' turn to howl in protest.

"After the skeptics adopted that label as a kind of honorific ... the scientists started to make a fuss about that label, because they wanted it for themselves," Nerlich said in an interview. "But the skeptics wanted to keep it, because they say they are the right skeptics."

It became the task of climate activists on both sides of the Atlantic to find a term their foes would hate.

The first reference to a "denier" as someone who disputes climate change had been published in a 1997 story by a London Guardian reporter, Jeremy Leggett, now non-executive chairman of the Carbon Tracker Initiative.

Marshall and Lynas in their 2003 Statesman article added the modifier "climate." Marshall said it was no accident that so much of the climate vernacular came from Britain.

"We're a nation of wordsmiths," Marshall said. "That's what we do. We don't make much anymore, but we talk and write a lot."

'A final push'?

In 2009, when carbon legislation was moving through Congress and the world was preparing for a high-stakes round of U.N. climate talks in Copenhagen, Denmark, that aimed to produce an emissions treaty, "skeptic" was nearly twice as prevalent as "denier" in the English-language press, according to Nerlich's analysis.

But in 2013, "denier" pulled ahead of "skeptic" in news references, and it is still on the ascendant.

In 2000, "denier" was referenced 10 times in the English-language press.

In 2014, it appeared 3,183 times.

"Ultimately, this is all about having an upper hand in the war of words," said Kert Davies of Greenpeace U.S. "And it's proven out now that it actually does hurt to be called a denier."

ALEC's lawsuit over the "denier" label comes after it has seen an exodus of former corporate backers, including Google CEO Eric Schmidt, who said during an interview with NPR's "The Diane Rehm Show" last September that the group was "just literally lying" about climate science.

Davies applauds green advocacy groups like OFA and the ones being sued by ALEC for not only helping the word gain traction but also expanding its scope to include public officials who oppose carbon reduction policies, not just those who dispute the science.

"Denial is not just denying that there is a problem, but denying that we need to move quickly to address it," Davies said. Policies like U.S. EPA's Clean Power Plan are dictated by science, he said, and it is appropriate to brand their opponents as deniers.

But Morano says the Obama administration and its allies are deliberately using the "denier" label to "intimidate and silence" their political opponents while they drive through their agenda.

The term is being used more frequently, he said, because greens know the last years of the Obama administration are their best chance to win carbon regulations at home and a climate agreement abroad, he said.

"They want a final push to just totally smear and discredit skeptics," he said. "The reins of power right now are on their side."

But "denier" effectively means "liar," and that's a risky message, Morano said.

"I don't like to say someone's a liar in political discourse, because it takes away from your case. You become the issue, and whatever language you use to say it," he said.

To be sure, Morano's own rhetoric is anything but shy. The Daily Climate quoted him during the "Climategate" controversy saying the climate scientists involved "deserve to be publicly flogged." And he's credited with coining the term "warmist," a moniker climate change disputers sometimes use among themselves to describe the opposition.

Morano has made a specialty out of staging elaborate stunts at U.N. climate conferences. He was recently evicted from a Vatican summit for asserting that U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and others were deliberately misleading the pontiff on warming science.

But Morano said he is still careful about making his messaging too personal. He prefers, he said, multi-word descriptions -- "global warming fear promoters," for example -- that focus more on what his political opponents are doing than on what they are.

Lindzen, the now-retired MIT atmospheric physicist, said "denier" can sometimes be preferable to "skeptic." It depends on what the question is, he said.

If the question is whether or not fossil fuels use will invite catastrophe, skepticism leaves room for that possibility, while denial appropriately slams the door, he said.

"There is no basis for catastrophism," he said.

Judith Curry, a Georgia Institute of Technology climate scientist, said she sees no need for a label to explain her beliefs about climate change.

"All scientists are skeptics, but trying to label someone as a skeptic or a believer, to me, this is pointless," she said. "It's done in political discussion and has no meaning to me personally."

But scientists who hold the consensus view that human emissions are driving climate change say it's time journalists stopped applying the term "skeptic" to those who cling to a view that is not supported by scientific evidence.

The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSI), a group made up of scientists and science journalists, argued in an open letter to news outlets in December that "by perpetrating this misnomer, journalists have granted undeserved credibility to those who reject science and scientific inquiry."

"Please stop using the word 'skeptic' to describe deniers," they wrote.

Many who use "denier" say they don't mean to equate those who dispute climate change with those who don't believe in the Holocaust. Climate "deniers" push that narrative as a diversionary tactic, they say, and as a way to tar mainstream scientists.

"For you to believe that there's somehow a taint being created, you have to believe that Holocaust deniers are somehow a lot worse than climate science deniers," said Joe Romm, a climate communicator and fellow at the Center for American Progress. "I don't believe that."

Romm, who is Jewish, notes that Holocaust deniers are both rare and marginalized. But those who dispute climate change, he said, are still consulted by the mainstream media and elected officials and thus constitute a threat that could affect future generations.

"If people who deny climate science continue to be successful in thwarting climate action," Romm said, "then it's going to be a catastrophe beyond imagining."

http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060018646

Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 07:48:07 PM

"If people who deny climate science continue to be successful in thwarting climate action," Romm said, "then it's going to be a catastrophe beyond imagining."

He accuses them only of being more sane than I am. 

My imagination, unlike that of sane people, is every bit that dark. 

It took a long time to come to terms with my mental illness.  Most people are slightly more optimistic than reality bears out; I'm not.  Unmedicated, I can be paralyzed with dread of how horrible something is going to be and then it turns out to be no big deal.  I probably have as much unjustified pessimism as sane people have unjustified optimism - but optimism is "normal" hence I am the crazy one.... 

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:21:04 PM

He accuses them only of being more sane than I am. 

My imagination, unlike that of sane people, is every bit that dark. 

It took a long time to come to terms with my mental illness.  Most people are slightly more optimistic than reality bears out; I'm not.  Unmedicated, I can be paralyzed with dread of how horrible something is going to be and then it turns out to be no big deal.  I probably have as much unjustified pessimism as sane people have unjustified optimism - but optimism is "normal" hence I am the crazy one.... 

If you could clone yourself 1 billion times would you be 'better' surrounded with people feeling the same as you?

Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 12:36:21 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2015, 12:47:23 AM by Cryddit

If you could clone yourself 1 billion times would you be 'better' surrounded with people feeling the same as you?

Oh HELL no.  A billion of me would be a hell of a lot scarier than one.  I know myself better than anyone alive, and I don't trust me. 
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 12:47:57 AM

Oh HELL no.  A billion of me would be a hell of a lot scarier than one. 

Then optimism is the norm, in your society. But forget your society. Visualise a tribe of naked people way down in the Amazon. For them there is no such thing as optimism or pessimism... Until they start chopping off the trees around them...

Cool

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 03:55:33 AM

Climate Alarmists fighting a losing battle: Nearly Half Of Young Americans Are Climate Skeptics

Anthony Watts / April 29, 2015   

New Survey: Nearly Half Of Young Americans Are Climate Skeptics

The Younger They Are, The More Skeptical

In fact, the age group that least agreed with the statement that global warming is a fact and caused by CO2 emissions was that of 18 to 20-year-olds. The assumption that younger US adults are more liberal when it comes to global warming does not hold up; if anything, they are even more skeptical. –Emma Kromm, Harvard Political Review, 29 April 2015

New Survey: Nearly Half Of Young Americans Are Climate Sceptics

From the Harvard Political Review, 29 April 2015 by Emma Kromm (h/t to The GWPF)

At the White House Correspondents Association Dinner last Saturday night, President Obama got angry. With the help of his anger translator, Luther (played by comedian Keegan-Michael Key), the president abandoned his usual reasonable tone to condemn those who deny climate change. “The science is clear,” he began. “Every serious scientist says we need to act. The Pentagon says it’s a national security risk.” As the president continued, it became clear that he no longer needed Luther to reveal his inner anger, and he drew laughs from the crowd after letting loose. “It is crazy! What about our kids? What kind of stupid, shortsighted, irresponsible… ”
While the president’s skit might have been the highlight of the night, do Americans really need this kind of angry reminder that climate change is a problem? Some seem to think we are living in a world where climate change is widely acknowledged as an irrefutable fact. Mary Robinson, the seventh president of Ireland and founder of the Mary Robinson Foundation for Climate Justice, has argued that the generation in power now is the first to fully know about climate change, and the last with the ability to prevent its projected effects. She and others are of the opinion that, at this point, all but a few outliers understand global warming, its causes, and its dire consequences.
New data from the Harvard Public Opinion Project tell a very different story. Only 55 percent of survey participants agreed with the statement,

“Global warming is a proven fact and is mostly caused by emissions from cars and industrial facilities such as power plants.” Twenty percent held the belief that “Global warming is a proven fact, and is mostly caused by natural changes that have nothing to do with emissions from cars,” and the remaining 23 percent who answered the question believe that “Global warming is a theory that has not been proven yet.”

Even more surprising, these numbers are the same across the board for participants between 18 and 29 years old, with 51-56 percent agreeing that global warming is a fact and is caused by fuel emissions across age groups. In fact, the age group that least agreed with the first statement was that of 18 to 20-year-olds. The assumption that younger adults are more liberal when it comes to global warming does not hold up; if anything, they are even more skeptical.
Consequently, young Americans are often unsupportive of government measures to prevent climate change that might harm the economy. Less than a third of those surveyed agreed with the statement, “Government should do more to curb climate change, even at the expense of economic growth,” and only 12 percent strongly agreed with it. Again, the youngest survey respondents were more conservative than any other age group, with only 28 percent of 18 to 20-year-olds in agreement and eight percent in strong agreement with that statement. In contrast, other age groups varied between 30 percent and 34 percent in agreement and 11 percent to 14 percent in strong agreement. Not only are the newest voters less convinced of climate change as a reality; they are also less likely to support government funding of climate change solutions.

Full Story

Additional Resources:
Harvard University Institute Of Politics Executive Summary Survey of Young Americans’ Attitudes Toward Politics and Public Service 27th Edition

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
BlitzandBitz

Activity: 248
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 04:00:47 AM

I understand that but wouldn't that mean the total eradication of several species? which is a huge component of climate change.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 01:15:18 PM

I understand that but wouldn't that mean the total eradication of several species? which is a huge component of climate change.

Do you know what is the number one species killer is on this planet? Mother Nature... 99.9% of everything alive died out, thanks to Mother Nature (and with the occasionally help of Father Deep Impact)

Weird hey?

Cool

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 06:04:40 PM

YES!  You see, just like DENIERS should be all shot at high noon (words of James Cameron) or put in Nuremburg trials, and sent to prison for their WrongThink, similarly, some species are guilty.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 06:39:33 PM

YES!  You see, just like DENIERS should be all shot at high noon (words of James Cameron) or put in Nuremburg trials, and sent to prison for their WrongThink, similarly, some species are guilty.

Can we define high noon? If you look close enough at the Sun dial you'll see that high noon occurs at 12:45. Now the fact is that "high noon" has been re-enforced many times in my mind as "12:00" blinking on and off. How do I resolve this cognitive dissonance?

This YouTube video visualizes my line of thinking on the matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-id_Y6QZMg
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 07:26:41 PM

Can we define high noon? If you look close enough at the Sun dial you'll see that high noon occurs at 12:45. Now the fact is that "high noon" has been re-enforced many times in my mind as "12:00" blinking on and off. How do I resolve this cognitive dissonance?

This YouTube video visualizes my line of thinking on the matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-id_Y6QZMg

What about on Flat Earth? 12:00 APM or 12:45 APM?

Cool

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 08:14:39 PM

What about on Flat Earth? 12:00 APM or 12:45 APM?

Cool

If the Earth is flat then are there snakes on the plane? Why is that news reporter blinking sideways?
Pages: « 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: