Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:13:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636401 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:24:04 AM

Even if local monkeys are managing the changes for now, these tropical trees feed a host of other mammals, reptiles, birds, and insects. All of them are on a new food regimen they didn’t ask for, which could affect the health of the whole ecosystem.
This is totally nuts. 
Let me know the next time some other-than-human mammals "ask for a new food regimen."
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:26:39 PM

In the name of science, banish the Koch brothers from philanthropy

Enforcing dogma and excommunicating heretics are not behavior patterns expected of logicians dedicated to the dispassionate pursuit of knowledge. Today, however, this is the expected code of conduct for many who consider themselves to be pure rationalists.

As the Democratic Party embarked on a scorched earth campaign to secure a second term for President Barack Obama, the party’s elected leaders went about creating a villainous caricature of the billionaire libertarian brothers Charles and David Koch. The party’s egregious efforts to sow division for petty political gain culminated in the United States Senate Majority Leader taking to the floor of the upper chamber of Congress to call these two prolific philanthropists “un-American.”

Partisan liberals internalized every element of the Democratic Party’s crusade to discredit their fabricated Emmanuel Goldsteins. Today, even the Koch’s charitable works have been deemed suspect by those who indulge in the self-flattering conceit that they’re above petty politics. And there is quite a bit of Koch-related charity to go around.

“David Koch, the mega GOP donor and executive vice president of Koch Industries, donated $35 million in 2012 for a new dinosaur hall at the Smithsonian’s Natural History museum,” The Washington Post reported on Tuesday. “He had previously given $15 million to the museum’s hall of human origins that is named for him. In New York’s museum, he donated $20 million to the dinosaur wing that is also named after him.”

That’s lovely, but the Kochs have rejected the tenets of the church of anthropogenic climate change and, as such, they must be banished from public life. At least, that’s the path down which some members of the scientific community have embarked.

Three dozen scientists sent an open letter to museums of natural history calling on them to cut ties with the Koch brothers and anyone else with connections to the fossil fuel industry.

In the letter, and a subsequent petition related specifically to the billionaire Koch brothers, the scientists contend that museums of science and natural history should not be associated with “those who profit from fossil fuels or fund lobby groups that misrepresent climate science.”

The petition specifically calls for David Koch to be kicked off the boards of the American Museum of Natural History in New York and the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington. The movement is being organized by a new “mobile” museum called The Natural History Museum, on a 15-passenger bus.

For a sector of society that thrives on private donations, this is a bizarre move. That is, unless the actions of these scientists are viewed through a theological lens. As a display of fealty to a faith and a theatrical gesture of hostility toward nonbelievers, this campaign to exile the Kochs makes sense. In fact, it is of a kind with a proposed rule proposed from the Federal Emergency Management Administration that would cut off federal preparedness grants to those states populated by voters that have the audacity to elect the faithless to high office.

According the egregious and un-republican rule proposed by FEMA, only those states with governors who consent to hazard-mitigation plans that address the effect of global warming would receive preventative disaster relief funding. Surely, every Democrat who very nearly self-immolated in protest over the likely deaths that would surely be caused by Republicans who compelled a brief government shutdown in 2013 will react similarly to this attempt to jeopardize lives in order to enforce consensus. Similarly, the members of the president’s party, including the president himself, who declared that Republicans were recklessly endangering national security during the fight over Homeland Security funding will demand that FEMA stop doing the same merely to protest America’s frustrating ideological heterogeneity… right? Don’t hold your breath.

The galling arrogance shared by many Democrats and these immodest members of the scientific community alike is that they are above ideology. Nothing could be further from the truth. With frustrating regularity, the actions of these and others on the left demonstrate that they are not only motivated by ideology but steeped in the politicization of previously apolitical aspects of American life.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/03/24/in-the-name-of-science-banish-the-koch-brothers-from-philanthropy/

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:53:53 PM

Three dozen scientists sent an open letter to museums of natural history calling on them to cut ties with the Koch brothers and anyone else with connections to the fossil fuel industry.

In the letter, and a subsequent petition related specifically to the billionaire Koch brothers, the scientists contend that museums of science and natural history should not be associated with “those who profit from fossil fuels or fund lobby groups that misrepresent climate science.”

The petition specifically calls for David Koch to be kicked off the boards of the American Museum of Natural History in New York and the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington. The movement is being organized by a new “mobile” museum called The Natural History Museum, on a 15-passenger bus.

Actually I could understand their complaint if for example the Koch brothers had put up an exhibit on the lack of global warming - they can't have Deniers copulating on the alter of their Church, of course.

The Warmers fear that reasonable people could interfere with their plans to cram polar bears vanishing and icecaps melting into museums.  Well I certainly hope they do interfere. 

Can we interfere, too?

I wonder if it were possible to generate a crowd sourced effort to inspect places like museums, and report on a website the level of bias in the exhibits on climate and the history of climate.  Maybe something like what Anthony Watts did with the temperature stations around the country.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 06:07:12 PM

Actually I could understand their complaint if for example the Koch brothers had put up an exhibit on the lack of global warming - they can't have Deniers copulating on the alter of their Church, of course.

The Warmers fear that reasonable people could interfere with their plans to cram polar bears vanishing and icecaps melting into museums.  Well I certainly hope they do interfere.  

Can we interfere, too?

I wonder if it were possible to generate a crowd sourced effort to inspect places like museums, and report on a website the level of bias in the exhibits on climate and the history of climate. Maybe something like what Anthony Watts did with the temperature stations around the country.

I know for a fact David Koch's money is helping the big bias of tail dragging dinosaur believers at the museum of natural history in NYC. The off the ground dinosaur lobby is powerless...

No wonder the alarmist warmists have their dragging tails between their legs too...

Cool

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 11:02:18 PM

Speaking of the Koch brothers, I thought it interesting that one of them landed the two on the conservatives shit-list by giving an interview where he made no great secret that he is fairly liberal socially.  I apologize if I was steered toward this item of interest from a post in this thread.

I am fairly addicted to those 'air crash investigation' series which I watch when they come up on youtube.  A long time ago there was one where a continental jet landed right on top of a smaller commuter.  The crash was pretty severe and included fire iirc.  One of the guys they interviewed was sitting in first class in the continental (everyone on the commuter was killed.)  The guy said he bailed and ran like a motherfucker.  No real attempt to help injured passengers and such.  He said he felt a little bit bad about it, but that's how he reacted to the situation.  I was kind of impressed at his honesty and figure that most people would probably do the same in that particular situation.  Later on I learned about the Koch brothers and kind of recognized a picture.  After some looking I found the ACA vid again, and sure enough, it was one of the Koch brothers.  Forgot which one.

On an entirely third topic, I have a good friend who is very much a Democrat and believes whole-heartedly the mainstream '97% of scientists blah blah blah' stuff.  I was very surprised that he seemed kind favorable to the Koch brothers on the basis of some of their charitable work.  Not sure which.  I personally never knew of any of it.  Relatedly, two other people I know who are more on the eco-centric side of things (one to the extreme) both mentioned to me independently what great people the 'younger' Rockefellers are and how they have abandoned all of their oil legacy and yada-yada.  I found this interesting.  They must have some sort of a PR campaign going.  Since I'm not really hooked into popular media I am unaware of what it might be, but I strongly hypothesize that it exists.  One of these days I'll look it up.  I'll bet it comes from NPR or PBS.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 02:20:44 AM

Speaking of the Koch brothers, I thought it interesting that one of them landed the two on the conservatives shit-list by giving an interview where he made no great secret that he is fairly liberal socially.  I apologize if I was steered toward this item of interest from a post in this thread.

I am fairly addicted to those 'air crash investigation' series which I watch when they come up on youtube.  A long time ago there was one where a continental jet landed right on top of a smaller commuter.  The crash was pretty severe and included fire iirc.  One of the guys they interviewed was sitting in first class in the continental (everyone on the commuter was killed.)  The guy said he bailed and ran like a motherfucker.  No real attempt to help injured passengers and such.  He said he felt a little bit bad about it, but that's how he reacted to the situation.  I was kind of impressed at his honesty and figure that most people would probably do the same in that particular situation.  Later on I learned about the Koch brothers and kind of recognized a picture.  After some looking I found the ACA vid again, and sure enough, it was one of the Koch brothers.  Forgot which one.

On an entirely third topic, I have a good friend who is very much a Democrat and believes whole-heartedly the mainstream '97% of scientists blah blah blah' stuff.  I was very surprised that he seemed kind favorable to the Koch brothers on the basis of some of their charitable work.  Not sure which.  I personally never knew of any of it.  Relatedly, two other people I know who are more on the eco-centric side of things (one to the extreme) both mentioned to me independently what great people the 'younger' Rockefellers are and how they have abandoned all of their oil legacy and yada-yada.  I found this interesting.  They must have some sort of a PR campaign going.  Since I'm not really hooked into popular media I am unaware of what it might be, but I strongly hypothesize that it exists.  One of these days I'll look it up.  I'll bet it comes from NPR or PBS.

The first tier of the left wing propaganda machine produces crap that is picked up by the second and third tiers.  Those include TV and paper, and the less known websites and such.

That first tier is Media Matters, Think Progress, the Young Turks on Youtube, couple others.  Bunch of Soros money in this level. 

Climate science/propaganda is off to the side and feeds the first level.  Climate prop sources include Climate Progress, Desmogblog, Skeptical Science with John Cook, Real Climate, and the blogs of Tamino, Stout, Connelly (past Wikipedia climate controller).

Generally what is done in the climate propaganda is to take reputable scientific articles and warp them and mis state their conclusions, making them seem to support alarmist global warming.  There are exceptions, scientists who themselves are true believers such as Hansen and Mann.  These produce alarmist junk science directly.

"Oil company funding" of skeptics is only one of the complete fabrications pushed by these organized groups.  While they push the conspiracy theory that skeptics of global warming (or skeptics of the conclusions of pro-green power) are shills of fossil fuel companies, in fact it is the Warmers who all along have been engaged in conspiracies and actively trying to dupe the public.

To the side of all of this are real, live, actual scientists, who are embarrassed and at times cowed and intimidated by it all.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 02:49:10 AM

The first tier of the left wing propaganda machine produces crap that is picked up by the second and third tiers.  Those include TV and paper, and the less known websites and such.

That first tier is Media Matters, Think Progress, the Young Turks on Youtube, couple others.  Bunch of Soros money in this level. 

Climate science/propaganda is off to the side and feeds the first level.  Climate prop sources include Climate Progress, Desmogblog, Skeptical Science with John Cook, Real Climate, and the blogs of Tamino, Stout, Connelly (past Wikipedia climate controller).
I'm so sick of these people and wish I could never hear again about climate change and any of their agenda-driven poop being fed to the drones out there. There's clearly a profit motive that is hoping to be primed in green tech that has already been proven to be fraudulent.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:23:46 AM

On the global warming alarmists, anyone who actually points to the evidence that disproves their apocalyptical claims, they don’t engage in reasoned debate. What do they do? They scream, ‘You’re a denier.’ They brand you a heretic. Today, the global warming alarmists are the equivalent of the flat-Earthers. It used to be [that] it is accepted scientific wisdom the Earth is flat, and this heretic named Galileo was branded a denier.

If you look at global warming alarmists, they don’t like to look at the actual facts and the data. The satellite data demonstrate that there has been no significant warming whatsoever for 17 years. Now that’s a real problem for the global warming alarmists. Because all those computer models on which this whole issue is based predicted significant warming, and yet the satellite data show it ain’t happening.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/03/24/livestream-one-on-one-interview-with-ted-cruz/

---------------------------------
Yeah. He's cool...

Cool

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:43:33 AM

Bill Nye: We Need To “Redistribute Wealth” By Implementing A Carbon Tax…

Speaking to students at the University at Albany, Bill Nye the Science Guy said that a carbon tax was needed for the purpose of redistributing wealth.

“We need, dare I say it, a tax, or should I say a fee,” Nye purportedly said Wednesday, right before an anonymous student began recording.

“It’s not just to be mean, it’s to redistribute wealth,” Nye said.

Nye went on to claim that instituting such a tax would drive innovation in more environmentally friendly ways.

“It will stimulate people investing in more energy efficient means. If you gotta pay a fee every time you make carbon monoxie and somone comes up with a more efficient car, you’ll use that car. Somebody comes up with a more efficient blender, you’ll use that blender. I mean, that’s just how it’s going to go.”

The free campus event distributed 1,000 copies of Nye’s new book Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation to students in attendance. The lecture, part of an annual student-run speaker series, quickly became a pro-big government, higher taxes rally.

“The trouble with this is, there are people now, in the U.S. government, who don’t like government,” Nye lectured.

The former television host and Disney actor then ranted about limited government conservatives, comparing them to a General Motors employee that wants to shut their own company down.

“We have to get people who really want the government to do what it’s supposed to do, which is run things,” Nye said.

http://campusreform.org/?ID=6397

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 01:55:32 AM

Bill Nye: We Need To “Redistribute Wealth” By Implementing A Carbon Tax…

Speaking to students at the University at Albany, Bill Nye the Science Guy said that a carbon tax was needed for the purpose of redistributing wealth.

Nye's idea of good government?

About as horrible as his idea of a good leg.

Here some real legs.

http://thechive.com/2012/02/21/for-the-leg-guys-out-there-35-photos/
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 02:06:26 AM

Hi kids! today we're going to learn about Global Warming!

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 02:14:59 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QtnueIJGjc#t=116

Sun is the Main Driver of Climate Change and Global Warming or Cooling say Friends of Science – Not You or 400 ppm CO2

Carbon dioxide (CO2) levels reported to have reached 400 ppm at Mauna Loa Observatory sent climate change activists like James Hansen, Al Gore, 350.org and Scientific American into a frenzy but Friends of Science say solar and ocean cycles are the main drivers of climate change, not CO2. With no global warming in 16 years despite a rise in CO2, the role of declining water vapor in upper atmosphere partially negates the ‘heat-trapping’ effect of CO2.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/5/prweb10729310.htm

Well, it's rather interesting that at least in verbal or post driven argumentation, AGW believers typically don't fare too well.  Doesn't mean they are wrong - some subjects don't do well in debate as over simplifications lend credence to one side or another.  "If the glove don't fit you gotta acquit", etc...

I guess what I am curious about is for those here who sincerely believe in the general theory of man warming the planet, what do they think about Reddit banning so called 'deniers?' and why?

If you click back on my main link, just browse all the way down for the comments. Looks like they loved that move.
But Grist always has selectively deleted posts to drive away people who didn't like their attitude and worldview.  Grist, as I recall, the editor there is the guy that invented the phrase "Denier" as applied to climate skeptics.  Bunch of nutjobs.

"Denier" is a loaded phrase as it links climate change skeptics to Holocaust denial, which is a felony in most countries in the world and can get one decades long jail terms in countries such as Germany and Israel.

There have been calls to make climate change denial a crime too, some people even suggested that climate change skeptics should be executed.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/12/professor_calls_for_death_penalty_for_climate_change_deniers.html

Amazing, the "climate change" from freedom to fascism has been accelerating for a long time now.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:02:59 AM

"Denier" is a loaded phrase as it links climate change skeptics to Holocaust denial, which is a felony in most countries in the world and can get one decades long jail terms in countries such as Germany and Israel.

There have been calls to make climate change denial a crime too, some people even suggested that climate change skeptics should be executed.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/12/professor_calls_for_death_penalty_for_climate_change_deniers.html

Amazing, the "climate change" from freedom to fascism has been accelerating for a long time now.

The book currently on the top of the stack I read when taking a shit is my 101 level geology textbook circa early 90's.  I've been scanning it for content which might help explain how we got to today.  Lots of pretty pictures and diagrams and what-not, and (usually in some stand-alone mini-article) there are actually plenty of seeds of climate fearmongering sown in the text, but in a 'kinder, gentler' way than tends to get deployed today.

Interesting to go back to some of that material 25 years on with the evolution of the various programs available for analysis.  It makes me again think of a Bertrand Russel quote from his early 50's missive on science and society:

"Scientific societies are as yet in their infancy. . . . It is to be expected that advances in physiology and psychology will give governments much more control over individual mentality than they now have even in totalitarian countries. Fitche laid it down that education should aim at destroying free will, so that, after pupils have left school, they shall be incapable, throughout the rest of their lives, of thinking or acting otherwise than as their schoolmasters would have wished. . . . ” Bertrand Russell,1953

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 05:01:48 AM

In 100 years everyone on this forum will be dead, just let that sink in...... do we really care that the planet becomes venus? We will be dead.

If you don't believe in God, then most definitely why would you care. If you do believe in God, then whatever happens is God's will.

So go burn some wood for fun. Find a stack of coal somewhere and light it on fire. Buy some old cans of hairspray and point them at the sun.

And if you really care, then you should be supporting complete world domination by the UN and a totalitarian state because, China, India and Russia are gonna torch your best plans to oblivion, they don't care about anything you care about.

Either have a party, or get on board with a totalitarian global state because those are your only two paths forward.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 02:30:49 PM

In 100 years everyone on this forum will be dead, just let that sink in...... do we really care that the planet becomes venus? We will be dead.

If you don't believe in God, then most definitely why would you care. If you do believe in God, then whatever happens is God's will.

So go burn some wood for fun. Find a stack of coal somewhere and light it on fire. Buy some old cans of hairspray and point them at the sun.

And if you really care, then you should be supporting complete world domination by the UN and a totalitarian state because, China, India and Russia are gonna torch your best plans to oblivion, they don't care about anything you care about.

Either have a party, or get on board with a totalitarian global state because those are your only two paths forward.

MOST warmers, perhaps not you, know and advocate burning wood as it is considered part of the short term carbon cycle.  As opposed to fossil fuels, which are part of a carbon cycle of the past, long buried.

Just a bit of edificatifying.

And no, those are not the only two paths.  That is how it is presented in the propaganda by the totalitarians, isn't it?

Actually there are many, many other paths.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 02:48:26 PM

Burn Wood.. Cut trees... Make sum paper.. And tax CO2!

So sad Mother Nature.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:09:36 PM

The term "fossil fuel" may no be the best choice of words when arguing against bad science...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:32:50 PM

Six Flags Amusement Park To Go Green . . . By Cutting Down 18,000 Trees For Solar Farm…

JACKSON, N.J. (AP) – A theme park plans to cut down more than 18,000 trees for the construction of what it says will be the largest solar farm in New Jersey.

Six Flags Great Adventure says the facility will generate 21.9 megawatts, or enough to power about 3,100 homes, and capable of meeting all of the park’s needs.

The facility will be located east of the safari park in Jackson and is expected to be operational during the second half of 2016.

Park President John Fitzgerald said in a statement that solar power will significantly reduce the park’s reliance on fossil fuels.

Six Flags spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher tells the Asbury Park Press the park and KDC Solar have pledged to replant 25,000 trees over a period of seven years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/27/six-flags-great-adventure-solar_n_6953880.html?utm_hp_ref=new-york&ir=New+York

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:34:40 PM

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 01:22:10 AM

Actually there are many, many other paths.
Many paths to the continued loss of biodiversity, many paths to destruction and ruin. Far fewer paths to an ecologically sustainable Earth, abundant with life, none of which involve industrial capitalism.

Witness the shallow, suicidal logic of the capitalist. "If it doesn't affect ME, why should I care?"

Friend, that logic allows for slavery, genocide, torture, rape, and all things horrible to persist. Don't you think it'd be nice if we did our part to leave this place a little better off than we found it?

If you don't believe in God, then most definitely why would you care.
How about ethics, hard of it? Reason is my god, and reason demands ethics.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: