Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:04:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 [286] 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276301 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:13:40 PM

I just had an hypothetical  idea in an aplocalyptic situation if XCP needed to relocate, if XCP was to move to a new database, it would need to create a completely new currency, meaning more units of value would need to burned (if using proof of burn), that would be unfair to everyone holding XCP and burned/traded . I think the best thing to do would be a 'proof of swap'  (hope i coin this term), in which the XCP can be swapped for the new currency which doesn;t rely on multi sig on this database, and thats the proof issuance

If we ever absolutely had to move to a different blockchain, the protocol would just freeze, save and then transfer balances over. The currencies of Counterparty, i.e. the balances, are independent of the protocol's transport layer.

thanks for clearing that up  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:15:05 PM

No, it is trivial to block 100% of them.  A proposal to do just that appeared on the bitcoin-development mailing list yesterday from Peter Todd.  This proposed change would relay zero transactions with multisig outputs.

Most of the world is moving to P2SH for multisig, leaving the remaining "bare multisig" users mastercoin, counterparty, etc.

Isn't Peter Todd working on Mastercoin? Why would he propose that?

Think about it.  Mastercoin is a competitor to Counterparty.  Mastercoin is already aware of, and working on solving this storage-in-multisig problem.

Peter Todd's proposal simultaneously (a) benefits Mastercoin, (b) disadvantages Counterparty, and (c) presents a proposal that portions of the developer and mining community already find agreeable.

You realize I also work for Counterparty. You also know I CC'd them on my email where I proposed getting rid of bare CHECKMULTISIG to the bitcoin-security mailing list with regard to the sigop vulnerability I responsibly disclosed. (which I note that Gavin and others disclosed publicly on IRC a few hours later rather than responsibly fixing it) I notified Counterparty specifically to make sure they got the heads up that this may be an issue for them so they could upgrade their protocol. This is easily done - they might find my recent post on Embedded consensus system upgrade procedures useful. More generally re: blocking they might be interested in my research, such as Censorship-resistance via timelock crypto for embedded consensus systems and Mastercoin's way of embedding data in what looks to be valid pubkeys, among other things. FWIW my usual way of communicating to the Mastercoin developers has been to write up a public document so that everyone gets access to the results of my work; my agreement with everyone I work for is that for all IP both parties have the right to use the IP however they see fit, including public release.

My position with regard to competitors in the decentralized finance space is as follows:

I'll also point out that while Mastercoin is my main commitment, I have pre-existing obligations with Litecoin to implement a soft-fork upgrade they need, as well as improve the scalability of Litecoin - and by extension Bitcoin - with blockchain pruning. I'm also continuing my consulting work with Colored Coins, and recently agreed to work with Counterparty to do a security audit of their code and protocol. Of course, some people would question why Mastercoin's Chief Scientist is working with "the competition", but remember our real competition isn't each other, it's enormously larger field of centralized finance. I strongly believe that we have far more to gain by working with each other and growing the tiny field of decentralized finance in general then we have to gain by pointless in-fighting.
http://mastercointalk.org/index.php?topic=155.msg466#msg466

zbx

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:19:45 PM

This is the point right here. *Of course* Bitcoin was never intended to store and transmit Counterparty tx data. Counterparty hadn't been invented yet! That's what makes all great technology so amazing: when people take it and use it for things you never even dreamed of.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:36:36 PM

P2SH multisig can replace bare multisig, by moving the data stored in outputs to the inputs.

This also avoids bloating the UTXO database, the key database that is queried multiple times per second by all full nodes on the network.

Solutions have existed for years.  UTXO database is not the place for data storage.  It impacts everyone, network-wide.  It impacts the real-time performance of the network.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:38:10 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 04:50:33 PM by Peter Todd

I don't get Jeff's point here. Even assuming that this is the case, any product of this would have to become public knowledge in the form of source code at some point, to be actually used. At that point, Mastercoin (as an open source project) would have lost their advantage here.

Also, this assertion is questionable as we are working with Peter as well. I don't want to speak for him (and he can correct me if I am wrong here), but he has communicated to us that in the end, his desires lie in moving the technology itself forward over allegiances to any specific implementations of it (for Counterparty OR Mastercoin).

+1

If anything I hope I've given the impression that I think all these "Blockchain 2.0" projects probably have terrible flaws in them right now. But flaws can be fixed, either by upgrades or starting over; what I care about is that something worthwhile is bound to emerge in the end. In the meantime I can bring value to these projects - that is earn my pay - by being independent and objective enough to give good advice and do good research. Which incidentally I think the Bitcoin developers are currently failing at themselves because they're too focused on their narrow use-case for Bitcoin as cheap transactions - take this advice to just resort to insecure centralization and/or easily attacked DHT's:

12:47 < gavinandresen> jgarzik: RE: mastercoin/OP_RETURN: what's the current thinking on Best Way To Do It?  Seems if I was to do it I'd just embed 20-byte RIPEMD160 hashes in OP_RETURN, and fetch the real data from a DHT or website (or any-of-several websites).  Blockchain as reference ledger, not as data storage.

Or for that matter the discussion around my post on Decentralized digital asset exchange with honest pricing and market depth.

Edit: To be clear, all this discussion about moving things like Counterparty to different independently or merge-mined blockchains as a "solution" to the "problem" of adding data to the blockchain is either mistaken or downright deceptive. Fact is these systems all get much better security by being embedded rather than independent. Decentralized consensus system security is a game of strength in numbers, and you want to be making use of the largest system you can afford. Merge-mining looks like a nice way to achieve that, but in reality just leaves you vulnerable to zero-marginal-cost attacks until you get the support of a large % of the total hashing power. A real world example of this is how Luke-Jr used Eligius to attack the merge-mined alt Coiledcoin. That leaves us with embedded consensus systems, and fortunately with Bitcoin only explicit blacklists have any hope of censoring their transactions rather than just making them a bit more expensive. (perhaps the even stronger requirement for explicit whitelists if my timelock crypto scheme can be made practical)

bitexch

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:48:13 PM

P2SH multisig can replace bare multisig, by moving the data stored in outputs to the inputs.

This also avoids bloating the UTXO database, the key database that is queried multiple times per second by all full nodes on the network.

Solutions have existed for years.  UTXO database is not the place for data storage.  It impacts everyone, network-wide.  It impacts the real-time performance of the network.

Whether you think there are better implementations than the current one is not the problem, but rather that you are making a protocol change for something that miners are, by design, supposed to decide for themselves, and acting autocratically over Bitcoin.

halfcab123

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:53:01 PM

Whether you think there are better implementations than the current one is not the problem, but rather that you are making a protocol change for something that miners are, by design, supposed to decide for themselves, and acting autocratically over Bitcoin.

I guess technically no one has to choose to upgrade right ?

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:06:00 PM

Whether you think there are better implementations than the current one is not the problem, but rather that you are making a protocol change for something that miners are, by design,

False. There is no protocol change being proposed.

halfcab123

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:07:02 PM

Whether you think there are better implementations than the current one is not the problem, but rather that you are making a protocol change for something that miners are, by design,

Didn't someone just say that there was a proposal to remove multisig

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:11:50 PM

No, it is trivial to block 100% of them.  A proposal to do just that appeared on the bitcoin-development mailing list yesterday from Peter Todd.  This proposed change would relay zero transactions with multisig outputs.

Most of the world is moving to P2SH for multisig, leaving the remaining "bare multisig" users mastercoin, counterparty, etc.

Huh Huh Huh
porqupine

Activity: 214
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:15:09 PM

Didn't someone just say that there was a proposal to remove multisig

Either it's a proposal or a not very subtle threat, No?

halfcab123

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:33:06 PM

Something fishy going on here. ...

jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:47:44 PM

No, it is a lack of understanding how bitcoin works.  Peter Todd's proposal suggests not relaying bare multisig transactions, and I wrote the code to do that:  https://github.com/jgarzik/bitcoin/tree/bare-multisig

"Non-standard" means "most nodes probably won't relay your transaction" but nothing more than that.  No protocol change or fork.  Miners are free to continue to put such transactions in blocks, assuming that they receive the transactions somehow.

halfcab123

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:52:14 PM

No, it is a lack of understanding how bitcoin works.  Peter Todd's proposal suggests not relaying bare multisig transactions, and I wrote the code to do that:  https://github.com/jgarzik/bitcoin/tree/bare-multisig

"Non-standard" means "most nodes probably won't relay your transaction" but nothing more than that.  No protocol change or fork.  Miners are free to continue to put such transactions in blocks, assuming that they receive the transactions somehow.

Phantom ? Thoughts ? Xnova?

halfcab123

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:54:20 PM

So maybe if we just doubled the fees than the TX wouldn't be considered a bare multisig

l4p7

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:00:31 PM

can someone summarize in a few sentences what the issue(s) is here?
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:10:14 PM

So maybe if we just doubled the fees than the TX wouldn't be considered a bare multisig

There are subtle differences between changes to the Bitcoin protocol and the default rules of Bitcoind for relaying transactions.

bitexch's point still stands, however, as he was (as I understand it) using the word 'protocol' in a general sense.

These are all technical issues, and the questions are at the level of implementation details, not problems with Counterparty itself.
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:18:16 PM

In an attempt to prevent spam transactions there has been a proposal to discontinue relaying bare multisig transactions from reaching miners..... If the proposal is heeded than counterparty will need to change the protocol

Not quite.

I proposed that bare CHECKMULTISIG txouts be not relayed primarily to fix a security issue/poor economic design issue. Others want to see them not be relayed for other reasons.

PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:31:29 PM

In an attempt to prevent spam transactions there has been a proposal to discontinue relaying bare multisig transactions from reaching miners..... If the proposal is heeded than counterparty will need to change the protocol

Not quite.

I proposed that bare CHECKMULTISIG txouts be not relayed primarily to fix a security issue/poor economic design issue. Others want to see them not be relayed for other reasons.

Also, 'change the protocol' sounds much scarier than it should.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:42:17 PM

Why do you speak of it as decided that data storage in the Blockchain constitutes abuse?
It's abuse because you're forcing others to download/store your data against their free choice.
Every full node must download the full blockchain (prunable or not!).
Every full node has consented to download and store financial transactions.
NOT every full node has consented to store anything else.
You need 100% consensus for this, not merely some subset (ie, not miners; not developers) or even a majority.

Furthermore, everyone is free to store data that isn't in the blockchain.
There is nothing to be gained by putting it in the blockchain except that you force it on those who don't want it.
Explain how this is anything but abuse...

Miners are not supposed to decide protocol changes any more than developers.
Protocol changes, in general, require consensus of the economic majority (or, more practically, "will this person I want to pay accept my forked-blockchain bitcoins?").

Pages: « 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 [286] 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: