Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:21:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276321 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:31:48 PM

Code:
  File "C:\Python32\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\bitcoin.py", l
ine 21, in <module>
    from Crypto.Cipher import ARC4
ImportError: No module named Crypto.Cipher

Any help on this error ?

The simplest (and most common) way to get Crypto.Cipher up and running under Windows is using the installers at
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python
halfcab123

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:41:23 PM

Code:
  File "C:\Python32\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\bitcoin.py", l
ine 21, in <module>
    from Crypto.Cipher import ARC4
ImportError: No module named Crypto.Cipher

Any help on this error ?

The simplest (and most common) way to get Crypto.Cipher up and running under Windows is using the installers at
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python

Thanks, I added this to my tutorial and its now working for me. Smiley

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
LightedLamp

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:41:35 PM

https://i.imgur.com/MaN0cW5.png

The Twitter spambots which have historically posted positive news on Mastercoin (as well as many other projects, to be fair), are now posting links to bellebite2014 posts to disparage Counterparty: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qxtbed5dggmwqd/Screenshot%202014-03-30%2015.09.35.png

A sample of the Mastercoin posts these accounts make: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw89c9dyozvx1dj/Screenshot%202014-03-30%2015.24.41.png

I don't know who is in charge of these accounts or what they are hoping to accomplish, but linking to the biggest troll in this thread as a source of Counterparty news is hilarious.
W2014

Activity: 205
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:43:28 PM

Is this a moderated thread? If so, can someone please ban the clown Bellebite2014 already? Thank you.

VIAZ   ►   First Major Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Funding Platform on Tezos   ◄
WEBSITE | BOUNTY CAMPAIGN | WHITEPAPER | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM
halfcab123

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:45:01 PM

I've been accused of "being" bellebite2014. Pretty aggravating.

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
W2014

Activity: 205
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:45:41 PM

The Twitter spambots which have historically posted positive news on Mastercoin (as well as many other projects, to be fair), are now posting links to bellebite2014 posts to disparage Counterparty: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qxtbed5dggmwqd/Screenshot%202014-03-30%2015.09.35.png

A sample of the Mastercoin posts these accounts make: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw89c9dyozvx1dj/Screenshot%202014-03-30%2015.24.41.png

I don't know who is in charge of these accounts or what they are hoping to accomplish, but linking to the biggest troll in this thread as a source of Counterparty news is hilarious.

Why do you call these "Mastercoin posts"? I see no connection to the developers or foundation. Perhaps I'm missing something.   

VIAZ   ►   First Major Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Funding Platform on Tezos   ◄
WEBSITE | BOUNTY CAMPAIGN | WHITEPAPER | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM
crypto era

Activity: 44

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:55:22 PM

Why do you call these "Mastercoin posts"? I see no connection to the developers or foundation. Perhaps I'm missing something.  
They're just generalizing. It's trying to say a portion of the Mastercoin community is trying to sabotage and plane trolling. I don't think he was trying to say that anyone in Mastercoin's foundation or there developers were doing this.
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 11:12:37 PM

No, it's not, it's a silly point.

Bitcoin includes transactions because it validates the data inside them.

Bitcoin clearly does not validate Counterparty data.  I am free to include Counterparty data in my own transactions at any time.  I am free to spend Counterparty coins to myself at any time, etc.  Bitcoin doesn't care.

The level of validation performed by the bitcoin network is the same, whether full counterparty data or a simple hash is in the blockchain.

Long answer: re-read my paper on about proof-of-publication and how Bitcoin mining really works.

Short answer: you're assuming the data exists to validate at all client-side. Unfortunately that's not something you can assume. If you're just putting hashes of Counterparty data in the blockchain what is a client supposed to do if they can't find the corresponding data? If they assume it doesn't exist then you can be sybil attacked by someone who later reveals the data and changes the consensus out from under you. On the other hand, if you assume it must exist, and wait until you find that data, a trivial attack is to put fake hashes of alleged counterparty data in the blockchain.

Now you can try using something like the zookeyv concept I wrote about in #bitcoin-wizards last summer - I remember you saved a copy of that discussion - but then you run into a simple economics problem: if you can attack an individual system in one go, the cost required for security is going to be very high compared to the cost per transaction. Thus it's best if you spread that cost across multiple systems/uses, and force any attacker to attack them all at once. Anyway, this is all pedantic: Counterparty gains enormously in security by using the Bitcoin blockchain, and there's fuck all that Bitcoin can do about it if the Counterparty devs encode their transactions correctly.

In fact, here's a really good test to see if you understand this stuff: Suppose P2SH^2 was implemented and everything other than pay-to-pubkey-hash transactions was disabled. How can embedded consensus systems take advantage of P2SH^2 to survive without resorting to the brute-forcing parts of the hash to encode the data and without resorting to using any data embedded in any part of the transaction other than the scriptPubKey? If you can guess why, you'll be a lot closer to understanding what proof-of-publication actually is; I'll give 50mBTC to the first person with a correct answer.(edit: unless your name is Gregory Maxwell! already told him) I'll give you some further hints: the solution in this scenario ends up creating huge amounts of unspendable outputs in the UTXO set, it is blocked by Gregory Maxwell's "P2SH^2 v2.0" idea where hashes can self-prove their hashes without proving a pre-image explicitly, and finally is actually cheaper for the embedded consensus system modulo the IsDust() rule.
Not commenting on the P2SH stuff, but generally speaking a single atomic operation is far more reliable than one that is split up into two parts, eg. hash and actual data.

XCP will be dealing with potentially big money transactions and it needs to be as reliable as possible. This means not splitting the transaction into parts.

I do not understand how anybody can claim that storing pointers is just as good, the math does not back that claim at all. Assuming that the bitcoin blockchain is the most reliable place to store data, by definition any other place is less reliable. This means there is a chance that the data wont be available. Therefore, it is worse to just store hash in the bitcoin blockchain.

I dont claim to be anywhere as knowledgeable as long time bitcoin core devs, but when they start saying stuff like "1+1 = 1", then it leads me to believe that they are not discussing math, but something else.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 11:14:00 PM

Jeff/Luke Jr

I understand the points you are making about the OP_Return issue, but I think you are phrasing your arguments in an non conciliatory manner.  I think its fine if a decision is not made to increase OP_RETURN to 80 bytes, however I think some of the arguments made against this are inappropriate and analyse Bitcoin in too much of a narrow way.

A core advantage of Bitcoin is that clients accept transactions as long as it meets the requirements, nothing more, nothing less.  All transactions, whoever sent them, whatever the purpose, once in a block are treated equal.  It doesn't matter if the data in the transaction is a genuine financial transaction, a political message about a Times newspaper headline in 2009, a Christian prayer, a hash of a document being used as a notary service or anything else.  If this principal is lost, Bitcoin is weaker, less useful, less flexible and less likely to succeed.  What Bitcoin allows is innovation without permission and new alternative uses that nobody has even thought of yet.  This could go far beyond just financial transactions.

I understand many are concerned about the data storage requirements of those running full nodes and network capacity issues.  This is of course a genuine problem.  However I think its wrong to think that some data is more important than other data or has more of a right to be in the blockchain.  Some new protocols may have alternative implementation methods that take up less data in the blockchain.  If possible, lets try to implement these protocols in this way.  However ultimately, Bitcoin needs to be free and open and all users and protocol developers have the right to be able to use Bitcoin in whichever way they wish.  When kindly asking people to modify their protocols to take up less space, we should recognize this principal.

Many thanks

More clueless clowns with their worthless 2 cents, this is EXACTLY what XCP needs. Keep it coming, please.
You have such a way with people, I think you should win customer service of the year award!

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 11:21:17 PM

I have filters set up for "Mastercoin" and "Counterparty", so I always see the spambots posting positive stuff about Mastercoin, although they do post on a number of topics in a positive manner, which I mentioned.

What I called "Mastercoin posts" were posts that showed a sample of the posts about Mastercoin that those accounts made. I did not infer anything other than "this is a sample of a positive post about Mastercoin made by these spambot accounts". I wanted to show that the accounts have a dog in the game, so to speak, when it comes to second generation projects.

I highly doubt the developers of Mastercoin or members of the Mastercoin Foundation are involved with these Twitter accounts. Why would someone smart enough to develop something like Mastercoin, or to hold a position within the Mastercoin Foundation, make 20+ Twitter accounts and have them all post the same things to 80 followers? It just makes no sense. Not only is this activity stupid, there are certainly many other more effective ways to increase the visibility of a project.

It's much more likely that whoever owns these accounts is a random person who has invested in Mastercoin and not Counterparty, or has something against Counterparty, or has no investment in either project, but posts something from our biggest troll while positively promoting other projects in the same space for a reason that is still unknown.

Looking at the accounts further, it appears likely that each one was created to hype a specific coin or two, but they cross post everything to all accounts.

https://twitter.com/MommaCrypto
https://twitter.com/DaddyCrypto
https://twitter.com/RaymondCrypto

Perhaps this is a service of some kind, or, more likely, an active altcoin trader attempting to hype stuff that he has investments in.

To the owner of those accounts: Your links are not working, you need to change your link shortening service.

sherlock421

Activity: 38

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:46:38 AM

i am coming!
i suggest xcp team use MXCP for Unit NOW。especially the net Wallet。like Mantissa pricing,this is Scientific research
and then it seem like more Bargaining chip for Issuance of asset
and more people like buy it because it seem so cheap like dogecoin
if 1.3 usd can buy 0.1XCP and 100MXCP ,i think you will choose 100mXCP because 100 look so comfortably then 0.1

Foresight

XCP will have a bright future.  2,648,496 is such a small quantity.   i think we should use mXCP as default unit from now on.

As a possible newbie coin-buyer, judging strictly from the chart action, is this coin dead?

Yes it is, go post somewhere else, thanks.
+1
Great
halfcab123

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:59:50 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 05:15:20 AM by halfcab123

i am coming!
i suggest xcp team use MXCP for Unit NOW。especially the net Wallet。like Mantissa pricing,this is Scientific research
if 1.3 usd can buy 0.1XCP and 100MXCP ,i think you will choose 100mXCP because 100 look so comfortably then 0.1

Foresight

XCP will have a bright future.  2,648,496 is such a small quantity.   i think we should use mXCP as default unit from now on.

As a possible newbie coin-buyer, judging strictly from the chart action, is this coin dead?

+1
Great

I assume that PhantomPhreak moderates this thread? I would suggest reviewing BelleBite2014's posting history and using that to consider either issuing a stern warning or possibly blocking him from posting his deconstructive negative commentary altogether.

I think I speak on behalf of the community when I say that if someone does indeed post a misinformed post, or embellished rhetoric, that I would rather see that on the thread by itself, then to also see a community member bashing that person.

I personally have been accused of owning BelleBite2014's account as an alt account, by someone in the community which I held high respect for; however I have not seen any evidence for this accusation and need only provide a history of my actions without defensive speech to show how that accusation is unlikely credible.

hisun

Activity: 135

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:19:20 AM

I do realize however, that for XCP/Counterparty to gain wide accepted use we will need a user-friendly GUI, much like basic TCP/IP protocol applications were not widely used or built upon until web browsers and email browsers amongst other User Interfaces came about which allowed the average user to take part; and when the average user gets involved thats when the usage explosion happens in any technological advancement. That's when the usage goes through the roof and inevitably incredible amount of capital are available to further develop and build even more incredible creations compounded of other incredible creations.  Grin
zero3112

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:24:07 AM

I am really interested in this coin but am confused on how I get coins into a wallet? Do I buy the coin by trading or do I mine it with this burn the coin method?  Either way it look like I am spending bitcoin on it?

Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 05:38:08 AM

I am really interested in this coin but am confused on how I get coins into a wallet? Do I buy the coin by trading or do I mine it with this burn the coin method?  Either way it look like I am spending bitcoin on it?

The easiest way to buy is through Bter with BTC: https://bter.com/trade/xcp_btc

You are unable to burn BTC for XCP any longer, except on testnet, where both BTC and XCP have no value.

After buying, as a non technical user, I'd suggest keeping the XCP on Bter, or for a higher level of security, I would move the to a blockchain.info wallet. After Counterwallet is live on mainnet, which is happening sometime in April I think, I would use that to store your XCP.

kdrop22

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 06:30:20 AM

i am coming!

Foresight

XCP will have a bright future.  2,648,496 is such a small quantity.   i think we should use mXCP as default unit from now on.

+1
Great

I assume that PhantomPhreak moderates this thread? I would suggest reviewing BelleBite2014's posting history and using that to consider either issuing a stern warning or possibly blocking him from posting his deconstructive negative commentary altogether.

I think I speak on behalf of the community when I say that if someone does indeed post a misinformed post, or embellished rhetoric, that I would rather see that on the thread by itself, then to also see a community member bashing that person.

+1
Moderator , please step in.
baddw

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:00:15 AM

No, it's not, it's a silly point.

Bitcoin includes transactions because it validates the data inside them.

Bitcoin clearly does not validate Counterparty data.  I am free to include Counterparty data in my own transactions at any time.  I am free to spend Counterparty coins to myself at any time, etc.  Bitcoin doesn't care.

The level of validation performed by the bitcoin network is the same, whether full counterparty data or a simple hash is in the blockchain.

Long answer: re-read my paper on about proof-of-publication and how Bitcoin mining really works.

Short answer: you're assuming the data exists to validate at all client-side. Unfortunately that's not something you can assume. If you're just putting hashes of Counterparty data in the blockchain what is a client supposed to do if they can't find the corresponding data? If they assume it doesn't exist then you can be sybil attacked by someone who later reveals the data and changes the consensus out from under you. On the other hand, if you assume it must exist, and wait until you find that data, a trivial attack is to put fake hashes of alleged counterparty data in the blockchain.

Now you can try using something like the zookeyv concept I wrote about in #bitcoin-wizards last summer - I remember you saved a copy of that discussion - but then you run into a simple economics problem: if you can attack an individual system in one go, the cost required for security is going to be very high compared to the cost per transaction. Thus it's best if you spread that cost across multiple systems/uses, and force any attacker to attack them all at once. Anyway, this is all pedantic: Counterparty gains enormously in security by using the Bitcoin blockchain, and there's fuck all that Bitcoin can do about it if the Counterparty devs encode their transactions correctly.

In fact, here's a really good test to see if you understand this stuff: Suppose P2SH^2 was implemented and everything other than pay-to-pubkey-hash transactions was disabled. How can embedded consensus systems take advantage of P2SH^2 to survive without resorting to the brute-forcing parts of the hash to encode the data and without resorting to using any data embedded in any part of the transaction other than the scriptPubKey? If you can guess why, you'll be a lot closer to understanding what proof-of-publication actually is; I'll give 50mBTC to the first person with a correct answer.(edit: unless your name is Gregory Maxwell! already told him) I'll give you some further hints: the solution in this scenario ends up creating huge amounts of unspendable outputs in the UTXO set, it is blocked by Gregory Maxwell's "P2SH^2 v2.0" idea where hashes can self-prove their hashes without proving a pre-image explicitly, and finally is actually cheaper for the embedded consensus system modulo the IsDust() rule.

I don't know if this meets all of the requirements stated, but based on a quick skimming of P2SH^2 and your Proof-of-Publication paper, here's a rough idea of an "attack" to store arbitrary data.  This would require a tiny amount of brute-forcing, and it is not dust/fee-efficient, but I think it would work.  I was unable to find the "2.0" discussion.

Say we want to send information ABCD.  The sending address is X_1.  All we have to do is find a fake P2SH value whose hash starts with (A).  This creates a transaction, X_1 -> AXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (unspendable, but is a valid hash of a seeming hash, so it's likely un-detectable).  Change is sent to X_2, a valid address.  X_2 sends X_2 -> BXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, change is sent to X_3.  X_3 -> CXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, change to X_4.  X_4 -> DXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, change to X_5.

Clients can decode the proper byte-ordering because change address X_2 only contains coins after the X_1 transaction, X_3 only after X_2 transaction, and so on.

It's also possible that a dedicated Counterparty user or group of users could spend some hashes coming up with actual addresses that can create the A, B, C, D hashes.  They could pre-generate an "alphabet" of addresses which would allow them to recover the BTC, excepting tx fees.  If the user had enough BTC coins/coin-days, he could even structure each of these transactions so as to avoid tx fees completely.  Of course, the risk of doing this would be that such addresses could be blacklisted after several uses.

It is of course possible to encode more than 1 byte per tx.  It just requires more hash-time, but I'm guessing that even on commodity hardware, coming up with an "alphabet" of all possible 2-byte pairs wouldn't be much work.  Of course, this would halve the number of BTC transactions needed to encode each XCP transaction.

BTC/XCP 11596GYYq5WzVHoHTmYZg4RufxxzAGEGBX
DRK XvFhRFQwvBAmFkaii6Kafmu6oXrH4dSkVF
Eligius Payouts/CPPSRB Explained  I am not associated with Eligius in any way.  I just think that it is a good pool with a cool payment system Smiley
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:50:41 AM

I don't know if this meets all of the requirements stated, but based on a quick skimming of P2SH^2 and your Proof-of-Publication paper, here's a rough idea of an "attack" to store arbitrary data.  This would require a tiny amount of brute-forcing, and it is not dust/fee-efficient, but I think it would work.  I was unable to find the "2.0" discussion.

You missed the part where I said "no-brute-forcing" - I'm talking about something quite different that takes advantage of what P2SH^2 does. However, the rest of your post would work and is actually pretty clever, so sent you a tip all the same.

Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:35:48 AM

More clueless clowns with their worthless 2 cents, this is EXACTLY what XCP needs. Keep it coming, please.

Halfcab, I will ask one more time, consider taking your Alts off the forums.

I second the request. This Bellebite2014 persona has done enough damage to the community with its extremely antagonistic posts. Please stop.

I'm just waiting to hear what this has to do with me, and why I am being referenced here.

May not be halfcab, but clearly somebody's shill. Maybe someone from Mastercoin.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

OTK47

Activity: 59

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:50:45 PM

How's the video coming along halfcab?
Pages: « 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: