Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:33:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic)  (Read 130254 times)
geoffreyqp

Activity: 712
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:22:23 AM

also which airtite w/o ring is good? for both coins the .5 and 1 btc's. will they move around a lot? not just side to side, but front to back.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:38:07 PM

also which airtite w/o ring is good? for both coins the .5 and 1 btc's. will they move around a lot? not just side to side, but front to back.

For the brass 0.5BTC coins, I'm using 25mm T holders, and for the brass 1BTC coins, I have 28mm H holders.

Both are nice and tight; the coins do not move in any dimension.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
mindragon

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 10:30:04 PM

Hey Casascius -- I hate doing this on a public post but I got my friend to buy your coins (Dave) and he hasn't heard a thing from you at all. He paid for two rolls of 20 and overnight shipping. He also wanted to chat with you for a minute about the order too.

What's going on man?

MD
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 04:13:29 AM

Hey Casascius -- I hate doing this on a public post but I got my friend to buy your coins (Dave) and he hasn't heard a thing from you at all. He paid for two rolls of 20 and overnight shipping. He also wanted to chat with you for a minute about the order too.

What's going on man?

MD

Thanks for asking.  I presently have lots of orders given the time of year, and I typically am not responsive to requests to chat.  Anyone who talks with me about Bitcoin typically would like to chat more than your-order's-on-its-way-k-thanks-bye, which is understandable because bitcoin is the most damn awesome invention of our time... and there is no such thing as talking on the phone with me for 30 seconds to check on an order status and I can't do it.  Yes, I realize that's more than likely disappointing.  If I didn't have way more responsibilities than this coin project, I'd be making a whole lot more of the coins than I do.

THe best way to inquire about an order is by sending me an e-mail.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
mindragon

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:23:00 PM

What's going on man?

MD

Thanks for asking.  I presently have lots of orders given the time of year, and I typically am not responsive to requests to chat.  Anyone who talks with me about Bitcoin typically would like to chat more than your-order's-on-its-way-k-thanks-bye, which is understandable because bitcoin is the most damn awesome invention of our time... and there is no such thing as talking on the phone with me for 30 seconds to check on an order status and I can't do it.  Yes, I realize that's more than likely disappointing.  If I didn't have way more responsibilities than this coin project, I'd be making a whole lot more of the coins than I do.

THe best way to inquire about an order is by sending me an e-mail.

Okay well for my friend it is a lot of money and he was expecting it last week (overnight shipping). Can you please provide him with an ETA and answer his emails please?

Thanks,

MD
bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 03:25:30 PM

Us poor people don't get the VIP treatment.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 05:50:42 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2013, 06:03:24 PM by casascius

Okay well for my friend it is a lot of money and he was expecting it last week (overnight shipping). Can you please provide him with an ETA and answer his emails please?

I responded to his e-mail from yesterday to let him know the shipment was going out today.  Please note that my website clearly states that orders may take 7-10 days to go out, and describes why, despite overnight shipping being a choice.  I usually ship sooner so long as circumstances permit.

Us poor people don't get the VIP treatment.

I take this as an invitation to share a small slice of my value system, even though I suspect this comment is made in jest.  I hold no contempt for "poor" people, neither those who are buying my coins nor those who are actually "poor" to the point their circumstances hardly permit them to even ponder the significance of bitcoin.  We live in a connected world.  The whole purpose of Bitcoin is, in part, to make the world more fair, especially to the part of our population whose needs are considered the least by those in power.

It would be a massive hypocrisy to snub people for being "poor" at the same time purporting to advance a system ultimately intended to help them.  In deciding to restrict my availability by phone, I have in mind not the social class and the financial means of those who would want to talk with me, but rather, the fact that a satisfying phone conversation about Bitcoin with me is never less than 20 minutes, and I simply can't make even a half-decent priority out of offering it to even a small percentage of those interested in it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
mindragon

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 06:16:32 PM

I responded to his e-mail from yesterday to let him know the shipment was going out today.  Please note that my website clearly states that orders may take 7-10 days to go out, and describes why, despite overnight shipping being a choice.  I usually ship sooner so long as circumstances permit.

Acknowledged. Thanks for contacting him on email. All seems to be well Smiley
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 10:31:20 PM

I am not sure that making the "best" physical bitcoin is consistent with the mission I set out to accomplish when I started the project.  Similarly, how to improve the metal composition and brilliance of my coins at this point is something I see value in, but also am not making a priority.  I could see myself not really engaging much a conversation on that topic either - other than to confirm that if you wanted to do it, you have my support (and my tools too, which I've published on github).

My purpose in introducing Casascius Coins was as a teaching tool, to help the world at large visualize a virtual coin with a tactile functional object, and at this point, I feel the bulk of that mission has been accomplished.  I have maintained since the start that I would welcome competition, and that my attitude is that someone most certainly can make a better coin than I can.  If you feel you're able to surpass mine, I will not be offended to see you do it, and in fact, you'll have my total support.  It is very clear that the market demands such a thing, so the incentive is waiting.  (Just as a representative example, I'm thrilled to have received  a couple rolls of beautiful Lealana bitcoins).

dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:44:09 PM

Casascius, if you are considering a 1oz Gold coin again, please, can you conform it?
Then I will sell some gold for BTC, because I dont want to increase my gold holdings Wink
scotjam

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:13:31 PM

Would love to get an update on what's happening with your regulatory concerns
bowen151

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:43:39 PM

Would love to get an update on what's happening with your regulatory concerns

Also waiting for more info on this, keeping my eyes on the blog for updates.

Good luck with your current regulatory issues Casascius, hopefully its nothing to worry about for the masses.

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:10:21 PM

I just LOLed when I read it...

Casacius, a money transmitter? His costumers are sending him "magic playing money" and he sends them a physical item back, with some "magic playing money" on a sticker.
(I am a BTC believer, just pointing out how the US describes our economy)

he never converts it to USD when he is doing his buissiness. Maybe he takes profit in USD, yes, but that does not make him a money transmitter.
Then everybody who sells or buys BTC is a money transmitter.
ixne

Activity: 211

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:13:35 PM

I'd bet some bitcoin that the regulators have incorrrectly assumed that Casascius takes USD in exchange for his coins, and that this will consequently blow over once that point is refuted. In fact, it was rather prescient to avoid taking USD in the first place for this very reason.
BTC4Amazon

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 12:42:12 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2013, 02:41:21 AM by BTC4Amazon

I'd bet some bitcoin that the regulators have incorrrectly assumed that Casascius takes USD in exchange for his coins, and that this will consequently blow over once that point is refuted. In fact, it was rather prescient to avoid taking USD in the first place for this very reason.

Whether he is a MSB or not does not really matter. Once the government claims you are a MSB they "suggest" you stop your business until the matter is resolved and decided on (whether in your favor or not). So obviously cassascius has decided to heed the warning and the next part (waiting on an official decision) can take years.

Sadly this could be the end of Casascius bitcoins, hopefully not and I am definitely not trying to stir up controversy just stating the simple fact that the government can bend its own rules without fear of retribution. The government is sneaky.
Edit:
I read what was on the site and not just what was on the thread and it would seem that he may be trying to find a loophole or work around for what they came at him with could be good news Smiley
scotjam

Activity: 269

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 08:58:28 AM

I just LOLed when I read it...

Casacius, a money transmitter? His costumers are sending him "magic playing money" and he sends them a physical item back, with some "magic playing money" on a sticker.
(I am a BTC believer, just pointing out how the US describes our economy)

he never converts it to USD when he is doing his buissiness. Maybe he takes profit in USD, yes, but that does not make him a money transmitter.
Then everybody who sells or buys BTC is a money transmitter.

Has he said somewhere that being a money transmitter is what he is worried about? My guess was actually that he is thinking that maybe his coins could be interpreted as an investment that only qualified investors can invest in (just as private shares in the US can only be sold to qualified investors).

scotjam
JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 07:32:42 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 03:32:31 PM by JohnGalt

Precious metal dealers are also subject to AML/KYC regulations.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
saveawedge

Activity: 146

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:35:32 AM

Does anyone know what casascius is doing with pending orders? I placed my order 11 days ago and haven't heard a peep from him, despite a couple of polite emails.

I know he must be tremendously busy, but it would be nice to be updated and made aware about what is happening with these orders.
Keyser Soze

Activity: 470

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:22:39 PM

Does anyone know what casascius is doing with pending orders? I placed my order 11 days ago and haven't heard a peep from him, despite a couple of polite emails.

I know he must be tremendously busy, but it would be nice to be updated and made aware about what is happening with these orders.
Pending orders should be going out like normal. In fact, I received mine yesterday.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 08:22:44 PM

I have been traveling a fair bit in the past couple weeks, something I don't preannounce.  So that has been making me a bit slow on answering emails and funding coins (as well as stickering/keying them as necessary).  Shipments are still going out even when I travel - we stickered the last of the production run gold-plated silver coins today, so if your order contains these, it's likely to go out today.  Any outstanding 2-factor bars were all just finished as well.  If it has any 0.1 btc rolls, that'll be another couple days.  To be honest, there's a bit of relief to not be taking orders - I had no idea I'd even get this far behind.

And just a brief update on where the money transmitter effort is going: evaluating how the state governments will react to FinCEN taking a stand that I'm a money transmitter... since I've come to understand that it's actually the states that are more aggressive in regulating who can and can't "transmit" money... the feds seemingly want more than anything, the unbridled ability to follow money as it moves, and less to prohibit people who are willing and able to follow their reporting rules.  There's a lot of states and I'm sure you've all heard that getting licensed in 50 states is a monumental undertaking, but even winning any sort of victory in my home state of Utah may enable a broad category of orders, possibly including international ones.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: