Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:16:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic)  (Read 130268 times)
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2011, 03:54:39 PM

I use firstbits.com for that.  Perhaps a link to firstbits.com?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2011, 10:02:59 PM

Suggestion: type in directly the 8 caracters of the coin address and block explorer will do (BE works starting from 6 caracters if the address has been exposed to the network, for instance when loading the coin).
Chances of a collision on 7 caracters (1 is given): 1/587 , not very high  Grin

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:43:14 PM

I'll be adding a private key import function to strongcoin that will allow you to import the private key in the mini format.

You'll then be able to spend the BTC.

StrongCoin eWallet now does indeed let me import the minikey from my Casascius bitcoin and spend it.   Importing itself does not create a transaction, so until you spend using that newly created account, the funds remain stored to the Casascius coin's address.  

StrongCoin's service is unique -- accounts have passphrase protection per-account and, if I understand it correctly, only the encrypted key is sent to StrongCoin.  So keep that in mind, that if you lose or forget your passphrase, not even StrongCoin can recover those funds for you.

There is an issue on the fees with StrongCoin and discussion on that is occurring here:
  - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36169.msg554538#msg554538

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 05:57:15 PM

Way to go StrongCoin!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Jrock

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 08:50:07 PM

Got about 5 of these a week ago. Very cool looking. I gave them all away to random people at work. Will buy more in the future.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 10:18:19 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2011, 10:50:46 AM by Stephen Gornick

Got about 5 of these a week ago. Very cool looking. I gave them all away to random people at work. Will buy more in the future.

Same here -- assumed I had ordered many more than I would use anytime soon and just a few weeks later I'm putting in an order to restock.  I wanted to keep the earlier coins myself as if I am going to hold some long-term, I want to keep the earlier ones as they potentially would have numismatic value and if that happens the earlier ones (based on the date n the blockchain for the coin's address) will have a higher value than the later ones.

These things are really hard to hold onto though and since shipping is a flat-rate the shipping charge becomes barely a factor when you buy a larger quantity.   I could sell the ones I have at a profit well below the price others would pay when buying only a few.   I've had many offers to trade my physical coins for cash but they can buy in quantity themselves from Casascius so that's where I've directed them.  Now I need to restock soon as I don't want to find them sold out or on backorder by the time I'm thinking of gifts for Christmas.

I've used these for paying my portion of a dinner tab, as a gift to a friend and for purchase from a restaurant owner who hears about bitcoin from me every time I visit :-).

More significantly I've shown the coin to probably more than fifty people now and the response from most everyone I show it to is significantly more favorable than the response I would get when attempting to describe bitcoin using only words.

These things are worth every bitcent they might cost.

Incidentally, I had been wear-testing one that I carried around in my pocket with other change and keys.  I had to learn to be careful as without paying close attention I almost lost it many times -- including one time to a parking meter (the coin is about the size of a quarter and it definitely would have fit into the meter's coin slot) and another time when tossing some loose change into a tip jar.

After more than three weeks of getting lots of attention the address printed on the back of the coin started to wear away, though I could still make it out to verify the balance.  The brass face of the coin wears quickly with scuff marks, etc. but of course, these aren't meant to be as durable for this type of use so that wear is hardly a problem.  The hologram sticker stayed intact with no indication it would start to peel away or falsely show tampering.  It came off only after a 5 year old with fingernails heard it was a sticker and not two minutes later the underside was exposed and the code revealed.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 10:52:46 PM

+1 on this issue with the word "sticker" and my 5 year old.  After she opened one for me I explained to her that the coin was now "spent" and she felt bad.  I put the sticker back on and gave it to her.  She loves it because it is so pretty in the light - she likes it a lot better than the other boring coins without stickers on them that I have given her.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 06:36:35 PM

Just to make sure this news isn't missed in this thread:

MtGox adds redeemer for private keys including Casascius Physical Bitcoins
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=46908.9

When you redeem a code, MtGox keeps the private key and will auto-sweep any future funds sent to that key into your MtGox account.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Littleshop
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 04:03:48 AM

Got mine today and I am very happy with them.  They look and feel great in person.  Good work! 

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 10:41:03 AM

I ordered 50 (+1 broken) to keep shipping cost down (germany). This cost me BTC 67.70 incl. shipping, therefore one coin cost me BTC 1.354

I'm offering to send them on to germany or europe countries if someone wants to buy a small number of coins. (1 coin directly from casascius.com will cost you BTC 2.50 incl. shipping)

Google says 1.2 ounces are 34.01 grams. This means I can send 1 coin in a 50g letter for €0.90 to germany. > 1 coin in a 500g letter for €1.45. For most other european countries I'll have to pay € 1.45 for 50g letter (1 coin), € 3.45 (up to half a kilo of coins (up to 14 coins)). I will also need some €-cents for an envelope.

So if anyone wants some (BTC 1.354 per coin plus my packaging and shipping cost), ask me here or pm.

based on an exchange rate of 4.05 USD/BTC and 0.5€ for an envelope, I made this little table to see how much sense this would make:

# of coinscasascius pricemy price to germanymy price to europe
1BTC 2.50BTC 1.83BTC 2.02
2BTC 3.75BTC 3.37BTC 4.05
3BTC 5.00BTC 4.72BTC 5.39
4BTC 6.25BTC 6.08BTC 6.75
5BTC 7.50BTC 7.43BTC 8.10

obviously this only makes sense if you want exactly one coin (to europe) or at most 3 coins to germany.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 08:50:39 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2011, 09:11:23 PM by Vandroiy

Cool, molecular! I'd like two of them. Shipping overseas is so slow. Cool

Can you PM me your email- and bitcoin-address?

This will be a neat chance to try them. Indeed a totally awesome item to tip people with. And I love brass. Let's see how they look IRL.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 10:45:21 PM

I'm looking for some sort of locket that will hold a casascius coin on a necklace, perhaps a crystal glass one that will protect the hologram, but allow you to see it.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 11:32:08 PM

For those considering reselling Casascius coins in local markets, I am able to do quantity discounts on the 25 BTC coin to make resale worthwhile if ordered in quantity 50+.  They'll also be shipped inactive, via express courier, and the BTC value not loaded until you receive them, to mitigate risk of loss and customs problems.  Contact me via PM if interested.

I wish I could say the same for the 1 BTC coin, but the bottleneck is still that I have to produce them myself manually.  It is important to me to be able to personally vouch for the security of the private key and that the address on the outside matches the key on the inside.

When I started the 1 BTC coin project, BTC was $13.25, so it made a lot more sense then than it does now.  I may able to work on quantity discounts for the 1 BTC coin if the BTC value goes up significantly.

I am also working on a new "windowed" hologram design that may help me mass produce 1 BTC coins at a lower cost, because a window to a small portion of the backside of the private key slip would allow a confirmation after-the-fact that the correct key is inside.  (I already print the bitcoin address on the backside of every private key in green, this is how I confirm they match during assembly, you normally don't see the green print unless you give it a really good scratch because it gets stickered over.)

This new hologram design would hopefully mean I could supervise a group of hired people assembling coins, rather than having to assemble them all myself one at a time as I do now.  My supervision would be constant, specifically to ensure that no one had an opportunity to copy any of the private keys and to account for all of the materials.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 07:23:06 AM

For those considering reselling Casascius coins in local markets, I am able to do quantity discounts on the 25 BTC coin to make resale worthwhile if ordered in quantity 50+.  They'll also be shipped inactive, via express courier, and the BTC value not loaded until you receive them, to mitigate risk of loss and customs problems.  Contact me via PM if interested.

The inactive shipping is an awesome idea.

Are the 25 BTC coins popular?

I'm not planning to make a resale business, btw. Others might, though, and I would welcome the possibility to buy at cheaper shipping costs.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 01:46:54 PM

received my batch. awesome coins, they are way cool!

now waiting for them to be loaded up Wink

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 06:34:19 PM

I would like everyone to be aware that this shitbag is a spamming piece of crap.  You should not do business with him.  He has taken the leaked MT Gox email listed and spam blasted everyone on it selling his wares.  Regardless of any other considerations, you should never, ever, ever do business with a piece of shit spammer as it only encourages more spammers.

Everyone should black list this tool and/or rob him blind to pay for his unsolicited spam.

This guy is a fuck stick and deserves absolutely no consideration what so ever.

If you buy from him, YOU are directly responsible for increasing spam.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 06:41:31 PM

I would like everyone to be aware that this shitbag is a spamming piece of crap.

A phishing clone of this site has popped up, and the scammer has chosen spam as a marketing tool.  See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49826.  I hate spam too, but spewing potty talk doesn't help much.

For what it's worth, Physical Bitcoins is a hobby project to promote Bitcoin, and constitutes less than 0.5% of my income.  Ordinarily, spamming (and the associated risk of losing my internet connection) isn't something that appeals to me as a marketing method.  It's inconsistent with a product that requires a great deal of trust.  I think it's reasonable to say I don't want to see anybody get burned.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 06:58:34 PM

Well, the site it came from was in Russia and casascius.com is in Utah, so I can buy that explanation.  I withdraw my previous statement then... either you've hit upon a clever way to market or someone is being a total douche in Russia and I'm happy to give you the benefit of the doubt in this instance.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
marks1976

Activity: 893
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 07:07:51 PM

I have ordered from casascius before and the order came quick and no problems, no spam.  I am getting ready to place another order.  I love the coins myself.

▄██████
      ▄█▀██████
    ▄█▀  ██████
  ▄█▀    ██████
▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████
███████████████
 ▀█████████████

<█▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄▄

│   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄(▄▄▄
$▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ $▄▄▄▄▄▄: ▄▄▄▄▄
│   █
│   │   //█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄_▄▄▄(▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █████████▄█████▄███████):
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄($▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ - > ▄▄▄▄▄()) ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄:
│   │   ▄▄ (!$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄ !$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄) █
│   │      ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   █

▄███▄        ▄███▄
     ▄███████▄    ▄███████▄
     █████████    █████████
      ███████      ███████
       ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄▄████▄▄▄▄████▄▄
█████████▀███ ██████████████████
███████▀  ███ ██████████████████
       ▄█ 
    ▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄        █▄
    ▀█████████▀   ▄▄▄▄▄███▄
      ▀██       ▄███████████
        ▀              ███▀
                       ▀

P2P CASH
▄▄▄▄▄▄ Send money worldwide fast ▄▄▄▄▄▄

███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
████           ▀██████
████             ██████
████              █████
████             ▄█████      ▄
████            ▄██████    ▄██
████     ▄▄▄▄▄████████    ▄███
████   ▄████████████▀   ▄█████
████ ▄███████████▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▀         ▄█████████
████████▀  ▄▄███████████▀ ████
██████▀  ▄████████████▀   ████
████▀   ███████▀▀▀▀▀▀     ████
██▀    ██████▀            ████
▀      █████              ████
       █████              ████
       █████▄             ████
       ▀██████▄           ████
        ▀█████████████████████
          ▀███████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ safe an easy with P2P ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
P2P is the open source smart
contract platform
fully dedicated to
international money transactions

▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄
  ████████████████
 ██████████████████
▄████▄  ███▄  ▄████▄
█████▄  ███▄  ▄█████
████████████████████
 ▄████  ▄▄▄▄  ████▄

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀
███

███
██████████████████████████

JOIN

██████████████████████████
███
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
███
Wody

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 07:37:03 PM

Dear casascius.

Today I found in my email a spam coming from your website and IP-address, advertising for your website casascius.com. Sending such unsollicited email to people in my country is a crime. In addition, because of costs of spam for me, I also charge per spam, feel free to pay the bill by sending 100 bitcoin to: 1DESYhdFBUdQyTWBpLif6BQdr3FRcKBHWL
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: