Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:29:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 [1824] 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722516 times)
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:56:46 PM

Code:
Darkcoin info http://drk.poolhash.org/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:58:05 PM

Can somebody plase help me out on the text file editing parts of the chaeplin's guide ?

What text editor are people using for adding the extra lines to the ip routing table there - gedit ?

I only ask because the guide is so literal everywhere else - every step included - but if I call edit at step 6 it says it isn't installed. Are the text-editing sections implicit ? (i.e. it's assumed that we know how to download and use our own command line text editor make the appropriate changes as described).

Another thing that confuses me is this line seems to throw me into some kind of text editor which I don't know what is:

/etc/default/sysstat : "ENABLED="true"

When that's called, the cursor chafes to a ">" which I assume is because I'm in the text editor. CTRL-X does nothing and CTRL-C gets me back out but doesn't save the modification. With me not being a linux geek, I'm assuming the line of code above is some shorthand for editing the file without explicitly calling the text editor in the code.

I'm obviously missing some basic step here. Thanks for any tips which can resolve this !

I use "nano"

arrow to navigate, the ctrl+x to quit, if you edit it will ask if you want to save "y/n" and then filename (just press enter)
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:59:53 PM

Can somebody plase help me out on the text file editing parts of the chaeplin's guide ?

What text editor are people using for adding the extra lines to the ip routing table there - gedit ?

I only ask because the guide is so literal everywhere else - every step included - but if I call edit at step 6 it says it isn't installed. Are the text-editing sections implicit ? (i.e. it's assumed that we know how to download and use our own command line text editor make the appropriate changes as described).

Another thing that confuses me is this line seems to throw me into some kind of text editor which I don't know what is:

/etc/default/sysstat : "ENABLED="true"

When that's called, the cursor chafes to a ">" which I assume is because I'm in the text editor. CTRL-X does nothing and CTRL-C gets me back out but doesn't save the modification. With me not being a linux geek, I'm assuming the line of code above is some shorthand for editing the file without explicitly calling the text editor in the code.

I'm obviously missing some basic step here. Thanks for any tips which can resolve this !

I use "nano"

arrow to navigate, the ctrl+x to quit, if you edit it will ask if you want to save "y/n" and then filename (just press enter)

Beat me to it.  Smiley   It's usually already there, you don't have to install it.

nano even has all the instructions at the bottom of the terminal window... Wink
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:08:29 PM

I use "nano"

Thanks GhostPlayer !

I'm getting somewhere now.

Only thing is, I can now see I've totally corrupted /etc/rc.local from my unsuccessful attempts at editing it last night - it's full of nonsense commands as I mistook the text edit cursor for the command cursor.

How can I restore a fresh copy or the original  /etc/rc.local ?
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:10:35 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 10:25:42 PM by toknormal

h copy or the original  /etc/rc.local ?

It's ok - found out here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/326978/restore-etc-init-d-rc-local

EDIT: In fact I don't even need that. El Presidente's one can just be pasted in.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:19:23 PM

I think this is probably more like El Presidente

Grin
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:25:42 PM

The New Nr 1.

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:51:02 PM

Who recalls the discussion we had about 1,200 pages ago about using Darkcoin for real world voting in real world elections?

Something about using the PoW alongside anonymity to secure votes, reduce costs of voting, increase participation through ease of voting, encouraging younger people to vote, ensuring one-person-one-vote and lets not forget - securing anonymity for the voters.

http://www.coindesk.com/block-chain-technology-digital-democracy/

camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 10:51:07 PM

God you're a cunt, Camosoul. I don't know who I dislike more on these forums, the trolls, or your useless and constant "stupid people done be stupid" schtick. It gets old, like you.
Go fuck yourself. "being offended" was old and ignorant before you did it. Look how Hipster you are...

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 10:53:43 PM

Wow. And I thought Crapple sucked less than Microshaft...
Dude...
You'd think they would fix something like that... Serious issues caused, very easy to fix... Makes you wonder about the rest of it...
Chill out dude. Life is too short.
Fewer words than you dedicated to the reply...

Is there a phobia to change, especially change of how to use a computer?  Well if there is, I must say my husband has it.  And despite that, I got him using Ubuntu on our laptop!  Still a bit nervous and asks me a lot of questions, but I'm making progress.  How do I do it?

Well, first and foremost, my husband is a miser.
Second, he knows his XP is not very secure anymore and is paranoid his files will be stolen (he's a writer)

So how do you upgrade to a more secure modern operating system without spending money?  Linux!  And Ubuntu, when personalized to a similar setup as windows, is one of the easiest to use Cheesy  LOL
It's bizarre. Distros like Ubuntu are much easier to use and understand than "keep you in the dark" Commercial OSes.

helpless != safe

clueless != simple

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 11:00:40 PM

LTC is crumbling. People are diversifying now that the silver propaganda is finally coming to l now that the silver propaganda is finally coming to light

Whats "the Silver Propaganda" out of interest.

Is that where people try to promote LTC as the "silver" of crypto ?

What has "come to light" ?

Basically yes, that LTC is the silver to BTC's gold. For the most part, it seemed to trade at a similar ratio, about 1:60 like the current gold:silver ratio. Hard reality for a coin that has to deal with 28,800 new coins daily and no new features to boot.

People are missing the point. Its less about features and more about usage. I could argue that every new coin to hit the market is "better" than Bitcoin because its got something Bitcoin doesn't.

Litecoin is basically a faster version of Bitcoin secured by a different algorithm. Nothing special there, but Its key feature is its community. More people are invested in litecoin than any other alt coin, and more people transact with litecoin than any other alt coin. To think mass traders are all of a sudden going to start selling Litecoin for another coin is not thinking clearly.

The way darkcoin overcomes litecoin is by outgrowing it. Usage is everything. When day to day darkcoin transactions become reality, the coin will have a shot at #2. Right now more people speculate on the price then actually use it as currency.

The claim that LTC was Silver to BTC's Gold was stupid on it's face from the very beginning. Anyone who fell for it must have an IQ well below room temperature.

Why? Decimal Points. BTC has them. No matter the value ration, you can find it with a decimal point and not use LTC... Totally pointless.

LTC also failed on the "no ASICs" claim, which isn't good or bad either way...

All LTC brought to the table was 2.5min avg block pop. That's it. Absolutely nothing else. Many other coins have that. DRK has it, too, along with many other good things...

Without mass adoption from retailers the block pop speed is pointless unless you bring more to the table. A LOT more. LTC does not. DRK does.

Other coins bring some interesting ideas tot he table, but they're stand-alone ideas that don't help us any... So those coins are useless, too. DRK rolls those ideas together and solves problems no one has done anything about... So, yeah, why bother with LTC? I only used LTC to GPU mine when my GPU wasn't good for mining BTC anymore. Sell LTC for BTC. The only reason the price is where it is, is bagholders in denial/clueless to what is happening.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:09:52 PM

LTC is crumbling. People are diversifying now that the silver propaganda is finally coming to l now that the silver propaganda is finally coming to light

Whats "the Silver Propaganda" out of interest.

Is that where people try to promote LTC as the "silver" of crypto ?

What has "come to light" ?

Basically yes, that LTC is the silver to BTC's gold. For the most part, it seemed to trade at a similar ratio, about 1:60 like the current gold:silver ratio. Hard reality for a coin that has to deal with 28,800 new coins daily and no new features to boot.

People are missing the point. Its less about features and more about usage. I could argue that every new coin to hit the market is "better" than Bitcoin because its got something Bitcoin doesn't.

Litecoin is basically a faster version of Bitcoin secured by a different algorithm. Nothing special there, but Its key feature is its community. More people are invested in litecoin than any other alt coin, and more people transact with litecoin than any other alt coin. To think mass traders are all of a sudden going to start selling Litecoin for another coin is not thinking clearly.

The way darkcoin overcomes litecoin is by outgrowing it. Usage is everything. When day to day darkcoin transactions become reality, the coin will have a shot at #2. Right now more people speculate on the price then actually use it as currency.

Ah, but your forget my son, that exponentially more people are discovering crypto currencies, and they have no allegiance to the "old guard" and will prefer the coin that does what they want it to.  I'm one of those, and neither Bitcoin nor lightcoin, nor any other coin I have investigated in these past 6 months has interested me.  A Bitcoin article brought me here, but Darkcoin made me stay.  I own no other coins except Darkcoin (and the tiny amounts of Bitcoin my antminer has mined for me, about $5 worth, heck I bought the thing early on, might as well have it working!)  

How many people are in the "old guard" and how many people have yet to learn about crypto currencies?  You all think I'm silly when I say Darkcoin will surpass Bitcoin one day.  If it isn't Darkcoin due to some terrible misshap, it will be another coin.  Nobody but the old guard care about Bitcoin and Litecoin and those few that have been "in the know" for a while.  I don't blame them, they've seen a lot of sh*t coins come and go and many scams.

But as the audience grows, coins will be chosen based on merit, and like me, these newcomers will use their brains and not their hearts.

So why don't I worry about the clones that will pop up by the hundreds when Darksend is finally open sourced?  Because we still have an excellent developer and are slowly gaining interest from capable and talented potential developers.  Plus, this coin, Darkcoin, leaves open the possibility of developers taking on their own projects using the foundation Darkcoin has created.

Right now, the coin with the most potential for the biggest future is Darkcoin, period..... well, in my honest opinion, but then again, I'm a cheerleader, LOL

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:26:51 PM

Ah, but your forget my son, that exponentially more people are discovering crypto currencies, and they have no allegiance to the "old guard"

That's true. But they also haven't had time to understand what gives a coin "network effect" and what doesn't.

I agree that litecoin can be replaced. But Bitcoin can't.

It's nothing to do with the fact that "other coins" improve on it - it's to do with it's status as reserve currency. The more people "come no board" the more that status is consolidated because every new currency is priced in Bitcoin.

So Bitcoin is actually encroaching on the market through stealth - piggy backing on all these new currencies. Even Darkcoin is priced in Bitcoin.

When people get excited that Darkcoin is "rising" in value it's because they've implicitly gained more bitcoin, not more darkcoin.

Apart from all that, when the ETF's come along it will cement Bitcoin's position because it takes about 2-3 years for an ETF application to make its way through the regulatory authorities. Bitcoin is light years ahead of every other currency in all these areas - including earning its "right of passage" though being kicked to death by the media, Goxed and "malleability crisis'd" and survived intact.

I can see Darkcoin's value approaching Bitcoin's but I don't see it ever replacing it.
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 11:40:20 PM

I agree that litecoin can be replaced. But Bitcoin can't.
I disagree. BitCoin can be replaced. In fact, I believe it must be replaced and that such is inevitable. It will simply take a longer timeframe. BitCoin is even less useful (fundamentally) than LiteCoin. It just has adoption and publicity. It could easily be replaced 25 years from now. Consider the improvements DRK makes above it and that's only 6 years...

Fundamentals are what makes DRK solid today. BTC and LTC lack those fundamentals. Of course, you're a fool if you bet against the tidal wave of stupid people. BTC will be very hard to replace, but DRK already has the fundamentals that BTC lacks. I'm not saying DRK will be the replacement. I'm just pointing out the inevitability of antiquated technology to be replaced by better stuff. I stopped using my 1core 32bit AMD chip about 6 years ago... Because it was too slow? No. It WAS too slow, but that wasn't the reason. Because it was strung along as a server, hogging juice... I can run the same services as a VM on my Core i3 and burn 1/4 the juice...

BTC has utility through acceptance going for it. But it pretty much sucks in modern light...

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
TreasureSeeker

Activity: 455
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:06:07 AM

TreasureQuarry's P2Pool at http://darkcoin.treasurequarry.com:7903 has now been upgraded to the latest Darkcoin 9.10.01 source code, and the latest Darkcoin P2Pool version in readiness for the hard fork due on 20th June.  

Remember to update your own clients everyone.  Details of the mandatory update are at https://darkcointalk.org/threads/june-20th-mandatory-update-details-hard-fork.1355/

Fun & Friendly p2pool Mining at TreasureQuarry.  Litecoin http://litecoin.treasurequarry.com:9327 Dash p2pool  http://dash.treasurequarry.com:7903
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:07:29 AM

Be realistic. Bitcoin will have the same privacy level as DarkCoin once DarkWallet is finished.
It's Litecoin that has zero privacy. Thats why #2 place is realistic, if all turns out good. #1 not so much.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:08:10 AM

BTC will be very hard to replace, but DRK already has the fundamentals that BTC lacks. I'm not saying DRK will be the replacement. I'm just pointing out the inevitability of antiquated technology to be replaced by better stuff. I stopped using my 1core 32bit AMD chip about 6 years ago...

I think you're being highly selective in deciding what you regard as being "fundamentals".

DRK has certainly improved on Bitcoin in several ways - algo efficiency, anonymity etc - but those are technical properties, not necessarily "fundamentals" that impact on it's status as a reserve currency.

Bitcoin has been superseded technically by almost all new altcions, but they have never put a dent in its value - not even litecoin did. So technical superiority isn't "it".

In fact, your computer hardware example actually undermines your own case because if you look back at the evolution of the digital industry, hardware technology hasn't been one of the "fundamentals" while those areas that have been have persistent against a wave of "improvements" on their original design:

- the Unix operating system: 41 years old, now underpins all new Apple desktop hardware, not exactly considered "antiquated"
 - The ASCII and Unicode character codings for information interchange, 50 and 27 years old respectively
 - SQL, Structured Query Language for database access, 44 years old and only getting more widespread adoption with every year
 - TCP/IP that underpins the internet: 40 years old
 - all the high level internet protocols and markup languages - http, smtp, html etc 24 years old and getting more widespread adoption with every year

What these show is that the "true" fundamentals do not get superseded. They persist and consolidate with time and adoption.

If Bitcoin is still around in 20 years you can bet your bottom dollar that it's not going to get removed from "reserve currency" status just because its algo is outdated. See the things I mentioned in my last post - those are the real "fundamentals", not technical characteristics.
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:13:24 AM

toknormal: That's alot of truth, good posting. Respect.
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:17:42 AM

Is it just me, or do you feel the unnerving calm before a huge storm... ?  Shocked
slapper
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1096

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:19:19 AM

toknormal: That's alot of truth, good posting. Respect.

Agreed and I have this guy on my Watch List. That is a good post and a lot of truth.

People are getting ahead of themselves here. Pretty much textbook Litecoin arrogance in the making. A coin can only succeed if people rally around it. Granted some are always going to be fanatics, but that is no excuse for not being responsible. You want the whole she-bang and a major part of that is always going to be friendly, welcoming people.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Pages: « 1 ... 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 [1824] 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: