Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:10:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3051 3052 3053 3054 3055 3056 3057 3058 3059 3060 3061 3062 3063 3064 3065 3066 3067 3068 3069 3070 3071 3072 3073 3074 3075 3076 3077 3078 3079 3080 3081 3082 3083 3084 3085 3086 3087 3088 3089 3090 3091 3092 3093 3094 3095 3096 3097 3098 3099 3100 [3101] 3102 3103 3104 3105 3106 3107 3108 3109 3110 3111 3112 3113 3114 3115 3116 3117 3118 3119 3120 3121 3122 3123 3124 3125 3126 3127 3128 3129 3130 3131 3132 3133 3134 3135 3136 3137 3138 3139 3140 3141 3142 3143 3144 3145 3146 3147 3148 3149 3150 3151 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722506 times)
stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:47:23 PM

The chargable's seem to be "0.020 per On Demand Linux t1.micro Instance Hour" which was all on the "free tier" ?

I just feel like shutting down the account because I've got no clue how to tell if the services I'm consuming attract any charge or not.

Can anyone throw any light on this ?

Right, so the obvious course of action isn't doing anything like contacting AWS customer/billing support. That would be insane. The logical thing to do is come to the DRK thread and talk about it, because we can log in to our employee accounts at Amazon and check out your usage to see if there has been a mistake on Amazon's end.

Ah - looks it's the "lazy b*strd meets conceited c*nt" post.

ok, thanks for the slap down - point taken - but it happens that this thread contains a substantial amount of discussion about AWS due to the fact that so many masternodes are hosted on it and for that reason I didn't consider it an off-topic post. Other user's experiences are at least as useful as what an employed support person tells you.

I'll try the front door.

You are not alone. Same thing is happening to me on my supposedly free EC2 instance. It was not free for August or September. I just now noticed due to your posting about it here. So thanks for the heads up!

They are only free for a certain number of instance hours per month!

I'm running 10 masternodes on a single T2.medium and it is costing me $2.70 per day including traffic based on last month's bill.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 02:49:11 PM

Looks like the ship is sinking for dark coin.

Well, obviously. That's the nature of a submarine, d'uh.

Man, you're just too quick!  Good'un!

I am working on creating my own tools, small apps for GIF creation etc that I will sell for DRK. Stay tuned.  Smiley

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:51:06 PM

You're only half right - it's unavoidable that some people will get an unfair advantage. What is CERTAINLY not unavoidable is them getting a MASSIVE unfair advantage.

Massive is like 300-500-1000%+. Getting double digit % is not massive.

When DRK was started (after two weeks or so), a very large cpu farm started mining with tons of hashpower creating suspicions for GPU mining on the loose. That's when a bounty of 3000 DRKs was issued to create a GPU miner which then got gradually improved as time went on. The first software step was ~50% IIRC and then it got less.

The same happened with the first NVIDIA miners which came out slower and then got faster.

The code is open so anyone who wants to improve it and has the necessary skills, can.

And those who have money can also invest in FPGA programming and then invest more money into FPGA optimization.

And those who have even more money, like government agencies for example with unlimited budgets, can create ASICs.

Mining isn't fair, not in the real world regarding gold mining (some are mining by weight separation of gold/dirt, others are mining with cyanide etc), not in the virtual world where the capabilities of each one are different.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:52:33 PM

Inside Bitcoins Conference and Expo Headed to Las Vegas, October 5-7 ...>>

http://cointelegraph.com/news/11264...ence-and-expo-headed-to-las-vegas-october-5-7

i think it would be great if we had somebody from DRK Dev Team / Community / Supporters ... being in Vegas for this. a ton if people of all industries will be around and sure it would be great to have somebody from Darkcoin go and represent !!

anybody Vegas based ? US based and close enough ?
a weekend in Vegas ? Bitcoin, podiums , conference , great speeches ,...
crypto geeks  , gambling and strip bars !!!

how about it ?
"Vegas Baby"
 Grin Cool Grin

Isn't Evan in Arizona?

Would seem like a good outing for The Foundation gang.

right
i thought the same
little road trip for the boys
get some fresh air after all that coding
wind in their hair
sun in their faces
....>>

and it's

VEGAS Baby ! ....>

Grin Cool Grin

The Grand Canyon. A helicopter ride over that is worth going for.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:53:57 PM

FYI, it looks like I'm paying $9.62 for elastic compute cloud and $3.71 for data transfer on my ec2.  I thought I was supposed to be charged more like $5 for a micro instance?  Anyway, that was with the 3 year deal.  I know I'll have to upgrade that when we start hosting other services, etc....

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:00:47 PM

Sh*t. I didn't realise that. They've been hammering me for charges - sometimes over $100 per month when all the time I was thinking it was the free option. My bad *duh*, but they don't half make it difficult to tell if you're going to be charged for something or not. I've no idea where those bandwidth charges are quoted.

Many thanks for the contributions. I'll try to contact them to see what they say.

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:01:27 PM

Snowden it is.

Right. Six degrees of separation

How do we 1) get Snowden to load a DRK wallet; 2) have people sending him DRKs, if they are allowed to in their jurisdiction; and 3) get him to post a picture on r/darkcoin?

Heh, this has major media potential...  Grin

I take it it's legal to send him DRKs? If that's the case, 200 DRKs bounty to the first person to get him to open a DRK wallet, post a picture on r/darkcoin to show some evidence (don't try and photoshop something crude) and also for Snoweden to post a picture of the address for the person claiming the bounty.

Snowden would need to hold up something to confirm he has a DRK wallet.  Anyone from the DRK foundation can be the final judge on whether the funds should be paid out to the bounty hunter.

(I will also need to double check none of this is breaking any laws).

I've had a PM from someone wanting to stake a claim to the bounty!

Not exactly the evidence I was looking for, but hey, the guy contacted Snowden and whoever is communicating for him has responded!

edit

yep, been on twitter and seems he contacted them yesterday

stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:03:18 PM

Sh*t. I didn't realise that. They've been hammering me for charges - sometimes over $100 per month when all the time I was thinking it was the free option. My bad *duh*, but they don't have make it difficult to tell if you're going to be charged for something or not. I've no idea where those bandwidth charges are quoted.

Many thanks for the contributions. I'll try to contact them to see what they say.

I have found AWS support to be very decent to my polite admissions of screw ups and begging for help Wink  i've been impressed with them so far.

tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:23:20 PM

Snowden it is.

How do we 1) get Snowden to load a DRK wallet; 2) have people sending him DRKs, if they are allowed to in their jurisdiction; and 3) get him to post a picture on r/darkcoin?

I take it it's legal to send him DRKs? If that's the case, 200 DRKs bounty to the first person to get him to open a DRK wallet, post a picture on r/darkcoin to show some evidence (don't try and photoshop something crude) and also for Snoweden to post a picture of the address for the person claiming the bounty.

Snowden would need to hold up something to confirm he has a DRK wallet.  Anyone from the DRK foundation can be the final judge on whether the funds should be paid out to the bounty hunter.

Not exactly the evidence I was looking for, but hey, the guy contacted Snowden and whoever is communicating for him has responded!

edit

What ?!?
NO way !!
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:25:18 PM

I think it's perfectly legal to donate to his defense fund, but is it legal to give him directly support?  Livelihood support?  Would that be aiding and abetting?  

Reading wiki's definition, it doesn't seem so...... ?? but I dunno anything about those laws Sad

That poor kid.  I hope he feels safe where he is because feeling like you have to watch your back constantly can really ware on your nerves!

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:28:48 PM

I think it's perfectly legal to donate to his defense fund, but is it legal to give him directly support?  Livelihood support?  Would that be aiding and abetting?  

Reading wiki's definition, it doesn't seem so...... ?? but I dunno anything about those laws Sad

That poor kid.  I hope he feels safe where he is because feeling like you have to watch your back constantly can really ware on your nerves!

Well since we'd be contributing with DRK, good luck to TPTB figuring out where the donations are coming from.

Edward Snowden having enough DRK to run his own masternode...  Cool
pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:30:02 PM

Snowden it is.

edit

Who exactly is claiming to be in touch with him? I work in the field of this kind of thing and can perhaps give a sense of whether this is likely or not.
pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

That poor kid.  I hope he feels safe where he is because feeling like you have to watch your back constantly can really ware on your nerves!

Send it to his support fund, make sure it actually does go to him (dig around), but no you cannot send him living expenses wisely since it is not precisely clear who is funding that (if you know what I mean).
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 03:35:17 PM

Development Update - Oct 1, 2014.

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-update-oct-1-2014.2561/

I'm curious what everyone thinks.  Smiley

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:38:47 PM

Thing is, I just decided around... two weeks ago or something, "Hey, I feel like fucking around with X11 on AMD." Seeing as I didn't know what GPU code looked like 4 months ago, there obviously are loads of people out there who could hand me my ass when it comes to GPU optimizations, on AMD or otherwise, and it stands to reason that someone has done this shit already.

What do you plan to do about it?

Game theory suggests that there is more benefit to you in releasing your improved code than simply to keep on using it yourself, as the people you claim to have even better miners are currently profiting at your expense, as well as everyone elses. Plus the steps you have taken can then also be improved upon by others, thus further lowering the disparity.

You would sacrifice your gain now for a better net gain in the future.
HinnomTX

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:39:39 PM

Sh*t. I didn't realise that. They've been hammering me for charges - sometimes over $100 per month when all the time I was thinking it was the free option. My bad *duh*, but they don't half make it difficult to tell if you're going to be charged for something or not. I've no idea where those bandwidth charges are quoted.

It appears that I _was_ on the free tier during May, June, and July using a t1.micro instance. In August I upgraded the instance to m3.medium based on chaeplin's guide for running multiple MN's per instance. Since then I've been getting the full brunt of charges. This is the guide I'm referring to:

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/ec2-multiple-remote-nothing-mn-max-5.1660/
"* This guide use ec2 one m3.medium for nothing"     <----I don't think this is true.

Now, respect goes out to El Presidente for writing the guide on DCT because I never would have figured out the proper configuration on my own, but, as always, do your own due diligence.

"One can only solve so much with cryptography. The rest of the solution will prove to be economic in nature." -Evan Duffield
Dash is Digital Cash.  https://www.dash.org
BagHolder010

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

Best IoT Platform Based on Blockchain

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:43:08 PM

Do you people consider MN's to be some sort of interest or service benefit?

██
    ███
  █ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 ██ ███
 █  ██

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
      ▄████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████▄
   █████▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀████
  ██████      ███████      █████
 █████████▌   ███████   █████████
▐█████████▌   ███████   █████████▌
████████                   ███████
▐███████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄██████▌
 ██████████   ███████   █████████
  ██████▀▀▀   ███████   ▀▀▀█████
   █████      ███████      ████
    ▀████████████████████████▀
      ▀████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀

▄▄         ▄▄             ▄▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌           ███▌
▐██▌       ▐██▌     ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌   ▄██████████▌   ▄███████████   ▄██████████
▐█████████████▌  ███▀     ▐██▌  ▐███▀     ███  ▐███▀
▐██▌       ▐██▌ ▐██▌      ▐██▌  ███▌      ███  ███▌
▐██▌       ▐██▌  ███▄     ▐██▌  ▐███▄     ███  ▐███▄
▐██▌       ▐██▌   ▀██████████▌   ▀██████  ███   ▀██████████
▀▀         ▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██
███
███
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
 ██ 
  █

██    Whitepaper    ██
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
FacebookTwitterBitcointalk
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:47:03 PM

Do you people consider MN's to be some sort of interest or service benefit?

Well, they are a service... they denominate the coins. The very structure of Darksend depends on Masternodes. However, a coin is nothing without miners securing it. Careful balance.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:58:25 PM

Thing is, I just decided around... two weeks ago or something, "Hey, I feel like fucking around with X11 on AMD." Seeing as I didn't know what GPU code looked like 4 months ago, there obviously are loads of people out there who could hand me my ass when it comes to GPU optimizations, on AMD or otherwise, and it stands to reason that someone has done this shit already.

What do you plan to do about it?

Game theory suggests that there is more benefit to you in releasing your improved code than simply to keep on using it yourself, as the people you claim to have even better miners are currently profiting at your expense, as well as everyone elses. Plus the steps you have taken can then also be improved upon by others, thus further lowering the disparity.

You would sacrifice your gain now for a better net gain in the future.

I don't claim anyone has even better miners - I said I believe it's quite likely. Assuming that is true, they are indeed profiting at my (very slight) expense at the moment. However, the only motive I could possibly have for releasing my current code is malice: that is, simply wanting to lower the amount they are making. Since by keeping it to myself, and VERY few others (about two to three testers and one farmer), I finally am not forced to frantically look for freelance jobs every month until I have money, as my percentage covers my expenses with a little bit extra, I would have to be EXTREMELY irrational to do so. Pretty much anything done to X11 to speed it up can be added to X13 and X15 with minimal effort - which I have, of course, completed. As there are just loads of coins that use X11/X13/X15, and more coming out, this means that for the forseeable future my optimizations will make a good enough profit to keep me above water - and very likely more. (Multipools and NiceHash are pretty much what all farmers I know use.)

Therefore, the suggestion you pose to me is, put simply, to destroy my main source of income in order to fuck over people who are profiting more than I am, for now, who I do not know and actually have no beef with. Oh, and said people may or may not exist.

So in essence you're just bitching that someone else might be doing exactly what you're doing?
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:01:08 PM

A short message from Satoshi's twin

Development Update - October 1, 2014

Darksend seems to be very stable and now that we’re open source and we’ve passed an audit I think it’s time to work on some other functionality. We’re working out of development plan for the next weeks weeks and here’s what we have so far.

Masternode Security

There are a few things that are missing in Darkcoin to properly implement InstantX). One of the greatest objections to InstantX from the Bitcoin community was the possibility to DOS the selected masternodes that are responsible for consensus voting.

This would stop the consensus voting forcing the network to evaluate transactions using the mining network, bring the first confirmation from 10-20 seconds back to 2.5 minutes. While not a terrible issue, it’s something we can deal with by hiding the masternode identities and using a token based routing system to pass messages back and forth. This will be discussed in great detail in the v2 of the Darkcoin whitepaper.

To build a network that can withstand attacks, the masternodes must not publish their IPs. To do this we’re going to utilize a new multipath communication technology. This will add another layer of privacy to the system as it will allow users to communicate with the network securely without exposing their IPs and will also hide the identity of the Darksend mixing nodes making it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for third parties to spy on users information.

It uses multi-path routing so users can send more than one encrypted message using different routes on the mesh network for redundancy. This will allow us quick communication, robustness and anonymous two way communication.

The diagram below shows the new system in action:

Enforcement

Currently there is a very basic version of enforcement that is going to be enabled soon.

The strategy employed by Darkcoin currently to protect masternode payments is definitely not a perfect solution and wasn’t meant to stay in this form forever. While it does make cheating much more difficult, it’s still remains possible.

The next version of enforcement will be a huge improvement over this current version and will introduce much greater security.

Masternode Reward Structure

The Darkcoin network relies heavily on the strength of the Masternode network. They are the foundation of our currency in provide great value to the network. Whether it be serving the blocks to a client that is syncing or proving the services such as Darksend and InstantX.

While writing the whitepaper for InstantX and v2 of Darkcoin, I’ve realized that the network would gain an incredible amount of security by increasing the amount of running Masternodes. When originally envisioned, the target number of masternodes was 2000-3000. I’ve waited some time to see if the amount of active Masternodes will increase alone, but I’m beginning to think some tweaking is in order.

The number of Masternodes reaches an equilibrium with the price of Darkcoin and the ROI of running a node over a period of time. Currently we have about 900 total Masternodes (some haven’t updated to RC5 yet, but you can see the stats here), with this amount of nodes each has a ROI of 23%

It can be calculated with: ((a/b)*c*d*e)/1000)
a is the amount of Masternodes you control
b is the total amount of Masternodes
c is the amount of blocks per day
d is the days in a year
e is payment per block won

So with that in mind the current profitability can be calculated by

((1/900.0)*576*365*(5*.20))/1000 = 0.23 (23% per year ROI in DRK)

The reward of 23% can be thought of as the current equilibrium that the network has found. So it is expected that no matter the reward structure, the network will come to rest as this level.

If our goal is to gain more Masternodes to improve the overall security of the network, I propose increasing the reward structure for Masternodes by 5% every month until the optimal amount of Masternodes is reached. This can be thought of as a type of price discovery. It's also worth noting, by adding 5% rewards per month we'll have a decreasing amount of impact each month thereafter. From 20% to 25% is a 25% change, from 25% to 30% is a 20% change, then 16.6%, 14.2%, 12.5%, etc. This will allow a good deal of reaction time.

This also means that Darkcoin must be purchased in order to start new Masternodes. This doesn’t include Masternodes selling their existing node’s Darkcoin in order to cash out (that wouldn’t change the Masternode total count). Considering this, we should see very long term steady growth, gain a lot of media attention and gain real-world adoption.

I believe this update will be great for Darkcoin by increasing the security of InstantX and Darksend, while providing significant growth for Darkcoin. An update like this requires a very solid version of enforcement along with updates to the daemon to tell the pool operators how much Darkcoin is suppose to be paid to the current Masternode operator.

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-update-oct-1-2014.2561/
Pages: « 1 ... 3051 3052 3053 3054 3055 3056 3057 3058 3059 3060 3061 3062 3063 3064 3065 3066 3067 3068 3069 3070 3071 3072 3073 3074 3075 3076 3077 3078 3079 3080 3081 3082 3083 3084 3085 3086 3087 3088 3089 3090 3091 3092 3093 3094 3095 3096 3097 3098 3099 3100 [3101] 3102 3103 3104 3105 3106 3107 3108 3109 3110 3111 3112 3113 3114 3115 3116 3117 3118 3119 3120 3121 3122 3123 3124 3125 3126 3127 3128 3129 3130 3131 3132 3133 3134 3135 3136 3137 3138 3139 3140 3141 3142 3143 3144 3145 3146 3147 3148 3149 3150 3151 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: