Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:10:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5029 5030 5031 5032 5033 5034 5035 5036 5037 5038 5039 5040 5041 5042 5043 5044 5045 5046 5047 5048 5049 5050 5051 5052 5053 5054 5055 5056 5057 5058 5059 5060 5061 5062 5063 5064 5065 5066 5067 5068 5069 5070 5071 5072 5073 5074 5075 5076 5077 5078 [5079] 5080 5081 5082 5083 5084 5085 5086 5087 5088 5089 5090 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 5096 5097 5098 5099 5100 5101 5102 5103 5104 5105 5106 5107 5108 5109 5110 5111 5112 5113 5114 5115 5116 5117 5118 5119 5120 5121 5122 5123 5124 5125 5126 5127 5128 5129 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722673 times)
flailing Junk

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 12:58:46 AM

That sucks, running my own masternode was a huge pain in my ass. I dont think the guy running that service knows this. The site indicates that he updated to v12 but it just says to restart not that its broken and you need to go do something else.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 12:59:50 AM

...Busy, busy, busy

Sub: When are you doing an updated sync test?

Your test scores are essential reading.
dashminer
Legendary

Activity: 1094

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 01:06:09 AM

Ok guys, last try for new miners, to help stop a potential fork produced by coinmine,
if you want to nearly DOUBLE your mining income by switching to a different (AMD only) sgminer produced by dashminer.com with slightly highly GPU temps then go here,
http://dashminer.com/

I vouch for their payouts but if you don't believe me check the stats for dashminer here,
(as a rough guideline, 1 R9 280X = 0.2 dash per day, coinmine is 0.1-.14 dash per day from current stats)
http://poolpicker.eu/table?algo=x11
and compare to coinmine's
https://www2.coinmine.pl/dash/index.php?page=statistics&action=pool

so do you want to supersize your income or stay sgminer unoptimized forever and get only half that is the question?

byzzzzz

I'm concerned by my scan result, but want to try the pool out.  It it really that infected?

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ec2e4e1d9bbac1e59d0967895b5e6ca93adc8c5da6cc5df3c916eabaab92c7c0/analysis/1439852785/

Hi Jestah!

Every time I upload .exe, I also do a virustotal scan and publish it as well. See this link: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ec2e4e1d9bbac1e59d0967895b5e6ca93adc8c5da6cc5df3c916eabaab92c7c0/analysis/1437467954/

(notice that the hashes match)

But somehow as time passes, virustotal seem to find more false positives in the EXACTLY SAME .zip file. This is really weird.

The .exe was built on a special build machine, which is very unlikely to be infected.
If you are concerned, I recommend to build from source (the miner is open-source and available on github).

PS: I also wanted to mention that we donate 1% of profit to DASH donation address.

Please join us!

Thanks!
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:09:53 AM

That sucks, running my own masternode was a huge pain in my ass. I dont think the guy running that service knows this. The site indicates that he updated to v12 but it just says to restart not that its broken and you need to go do something else.

What made it a pain in the ass?
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:18:00 AM

Masternode hosting services still work just fine, I guess he will just have to change his auto payouts feature for shared nodes, but if you own a full node then it would be the same.
flailing Junk

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:19:53 AM

Just by your asking that question I can tell that you have experience remotely administering linux servers. For someone who is trying to learn how to do this while following a guide that is a version or 2 old and trying to guess at the right command to input based on changes that I don't understand on a system I don't understand through an interface I don't understand is endlessly frustrating and success is very tenuous lasting, at best, until the next update.  
Minotaur26
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:27:29 AM

Just by your asking that question I can tell that you have experience remotely administering linux servers. For someone who is trying to learn how to do this while following a guide that is a version or 2 old and trying to guess at the right command to input based on changes that I don't understand on a system I don't understand through an interface I don't understand is endlessly frustrating and success is very tenuous lasting, at best, until the next update.  

You can continue to use your service of choice, specially if you are running a complete node, it will just pay you back to the cold address holding the collateral instead of a separate one.
Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:29:08 AM

Masternode Operators do not "buy" software to generate them revenue. They're rewarded for a service. It is expected they take proper measures to insure the network is maintained.

We have had testnet for months, where everything has been layed out. Numerous questions and answers are brought up daily.

There is no responsibility by the dev team, who are volunteers, to produce a step-by-step direction for MN Op. It is expected MN OPs keep up with changes. There is absolutely nothing new or radically different, just adaptation to bitcoin core v.10.

Fair enough. But in that case, I suggest everyone have very reasonable expectations about the speed with which the network will update. I don't recall ever seeing such a small percentage of masternodes updated after this many days. Usually enforcement goes on within 2-3 days, and we're still sitting on 25% updated. Some is probably due to the weekend, but some is due to the fact that many of us can't figure this thing out.

I would like to thank qwizzie for his very helpful guide.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I really believe your reasoning is off. Most haven't updated because they are well aware of what's happening, and that inicial launch could have (and did) have little mainnet quirks, that the devs quick as always came to solve. Service providers seldom update on launch, as these situations are expected. Veteran MN OP's are already "tired" of updating 2, 3 4 times in one day. Most will wait for a final "ok, this is it, this one is gold".

Plus it's August, when most people in the northern hemisphere are on holidays.

The network is steadily udpating. .v45 really does seem like it is it, as far as I can tell, and I have no doubt the majority of the network will update shortly. Service providers are always last to udpate to avoid service disruption to their clients, in case of expected bugs and quirks. Testnet is a sterile environment while mainnet is a jungle.

If "many of you" can't figure this out, the simple solution is to head over to www.dashpay.io and ask for help. Or just stroll through the last half dozen pages of testnet, or better still, the v.12 official release thread.

ddlink, I really don't want to antagonize you or anything, but the way you write makes it seem like there is a responsibility by the dev team to push out simple to follow tutorial for noobs. That is certainly not the case! It is their responsibility to answer the end user any questions they have. And we did have many many questions over the past months. And nothing world changing has happened for MN Ops anyways.

Everything is "exactly" as it has always been in terms of use and MN setup, except slight difference that now you should use the RPC client dash-cli, which behaves exactly as dashd.

start the daemon with "./dashd", from there on use "./dash-cli" for RPC, for example, "./dash-clip help"

Sure, all those things are factors. But I'm sure there are a lot of people whose update scripts are broken now, or who manually update and aren't exactly sure what to do or where everything goes.

I know you aren't trying to antagonize me--no hurt feelings, no worries. It *does* seem like software is more likely to be used if you publish instructions on how to use it. Perhaps somebody in the community could write a quick guide, like qwizzie just did, and Evan could link it in the "Official Launch" post next time. It seems more efficient than trying to dig through multiple pages of multiple threads.

It's not that it's anybody's JOB, it's just that it would be really useful to have =) It's been a LONG TIME since the MN updating process changed even slightly! (The last I recall was when the binaries started being hosted on the website rather than at github.)
The last update changed some of the file locations(including adding the dash-cli functionality) and had to have update scripts changed too.  We also had to reindex with this release, but again this isn't the first release that has required it.  I don't consider this a big deal.  Once you get one node going, it isn't hard to update your script to do the rest.  A few changes to get some bleeding edge updates in a revolutionary release is A Ok by me.  Masternode owners have had a nice break from the last release and it shouldn't be a big deal to spend a little time doing this update.

This is the first time we have actually removed a feature (like donations, or removed IPs from "masternode list") but these should be minor and I would expect this type of thing will be called out on the next release.

Think about how hard an update like this would be with Bitcoin.  It would take 2-3 days and 30GB to just reindex the blockchain maybe longer on the smaller servers plus a few days for users to make changes.  What if the release had a bug and they needed another release to hard fork?  Then another 5 days until reindex and users change.  Updating a masternode and fumbling around learning a few new commands for an hour once or twice isn't really that bad when you think about it.
flailing Junk

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:35:14 AM

You can continue to use your service of choice, specially if you are running a complete node, it will just pay you back to the cold address holding the collateral instead of a separate one.

Right, but the guy running the service isnt getting paid any more.
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:12:23 AM

No, because his service requires a min "donation" amount, the service won't stay active for anyone using it since the network no longer looks for the donation settings in the conf file. He'll have to change how he gets paid (up front) vs relying on the donation aspect.
oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:13:50 AM

I have a suggestion for you.  You can listen to my advice or you can trash me.

<preaching>
While you are following the guide of your choice (hopefully a couple of different ones), try and learn what each step is trying to accomplish.  Some people simply want to type in a series of commands to a window and call it a day.  Don't be like this.

When a guide tells you to (for example) open the SSH session, think about what that means instead of simply looking for the icon or menu item.  Try and learn the concepts of what running a masternode is.

Don't get frustrated when the guide says "dashd stop" and you actually need "./dashd stop".  Ask what each step is trying to accomplish.  You'll sleep better at night having learned something useful. 
</preaching>
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:18:50 AM

Understandable, but like those that understand things, it takes a little but to familiarize yourself with commands and usage. I'd wager many of the people running masternodes aren't proficient at unix... I'm certainly not an administrator and learned like many others (granted, I am more comfortable in linux in general from earlier days).

If you understand these commands, the rest is just navigating the file structure and moving files wherever you want them: dir, wget, rm, mv, cp, chmod, tar

There was actually a straight forward update, line by line a few pages back assuming you already have an instance. If you don't, all the "outdated" tutorials will get you to the same place subbing the latest version and moving over the dash-cli binary.
Triptolemoose

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 02:52:56 AM
Last edit: August 18, 2015, 03:22:44 AM by Triptolemoose

lol, too right and with added multi-coloured depth charts,worth a vote as a little side project, and makes good kudos  and advertising Cool

If you make it happen I'll happily hand the dashwisdom.com domain over to Evan, or whomever will get this project up and running. At the moment http://dashwisdom.com just points directly to the cryptsy charts on bitcoinwisdom but still needs a proxy fix for EU-based visitors.

I think it would be interesting to have a community-controlled site (dashwisdom) with it's own adsense/advertising account, where any ad revenue (less hosting costs) can be used to directly buy up dash off the cryptsy order books and send them to a burn address on a monthly basis. An alt-coin called Viral currently does this on the promo sites that they run, and it seems to work quite well.
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:20:50 AM

Shapeshift.io CEO Erik Voorhees Explains His Revised Stance on Altcoins

“To the extent that there are coins that do something unique and they can find a niche — you know, [Dash] is more private than Bitcoin. And there is certainly a need for more privacy. Anything that has a certain niche and a certain ability to fill that I think can coexist [with Bitcoin], but in terms of raw money I think Bitcoin blows away everything else.”

http://coinjournal.net/shapeshift-io-ceo-erik-voorhees-explains-his-revised-stance-on-altcoins/

flailing Junk

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:24:44 AM

You guys can criticize my approach all you want but I did actually succeed, pain in the ass or no, at something 99.9% of people could not do. Seriously. Take a random thousand people and sit them in front of a computer with your "straightforward" master node guides and nine hundred and ninety nine of them would fail. I would bet on it.  
Minotaur26
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:46:20 AM

You guys can criticize my approach all you want but I did actually succeed, pain in the ass or no, at something 99.9% of people could not do. Seriously. Take a random thousand people and sit them in front of a computer with your "straightforward" master node guides and nine hundred and ninety nine of them would fail. I would bet on it.  

It think is great that you did it, I used to run my nodes at the beginning and had to learn how to do it on my own too. After a while maintaing them myself I took a masternode hosting service, just because it saves a lot of time and I am busy, but it was really fun to learn something new.
oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:48:36 AM

I am not criticizing.  I never said the guides were "straightforward".  People try and pass on knowledge in different ways; some write guides, some post brief messages.  In the end, it's better to learn the skills yourself, which you did.  Congratulations.
snogcel

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:02:23 AM

Life has a funny way of working out - last summer I was tinkering with Masternodes, now I run 150+ websites on a linux server for my work. Glad I took the time to learn how to properly node back then ;-)

My favorite guides, all by chaeplin -- he doesn't go into detail but the man is a guru :-)

https://dashtalk.org/threads/how-to-set-up-ec2-t1-micro-ubuntu-for-masternode-part-3-3.262/
https://dashtalk.org/threads/how-to-set-up-ec2-t1-micro-ubuntu-for-masternode-part-2-3.241/
https://dashtalk.org/threads/how-to-set-up-ec2-t1-micro-ubuntu-for-masternode-part-2-3-2.1754/
https://dashtalk.org/threads/how-to-set-up-ec2-t1-micro-ubuntu-for-masternode-part-3-3.262/

XuvjV4aazgZhcfAj1KRgFnTok1pZZw6Ewu
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:44:22 AM

Ok, original deleted, was no help ;P  But::

lol, too right and with added multi-coloured depth charts,worth a vote as a little side project, and makes good kudos  and advertising Cool

If you make it happen I'll happily hand the dashwisdom.com domain over to Evan, or whomever will get this project up and running. At the moment http://dashwisdom.com just points directly to the cryptsy charts on bitcoinwisdom but still needs a proxy fix for EU-based visitors.

I think it would be interesting to have a community-controlled site (dashwisdom) with it's own adsense/advertising account, where any ad revenue (less hosting costs) can be used to directly buy up dash off the cryptsy order books and send them to a burn address on a monthly basis. An alt-coin called Viral currently does this on the promo sites that they run, and it seems to work quite well.

Burn!  I'm against burning any more dash!  It's like.... Sacrilege!

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:50:50 AM

master nodes are not easy to handle
there is no doubt about it.

I am happy at a service and all my MN's are updates and   Grin

Here is a new update script posted:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/masternode-update-script.1640/#post-63884

Please correct any 'mistakes'
Happy updating

For upgrading to v12.

#!/bin/bash
echo "########### This script will update the Master Node"
sleep 5
URL=$1
FILE=${URL##*/}
DIR=${FILE:0:11}
cd ~/.dash
wget $URL
tar xzvf $FILE
echo "########### Stopping the Master Node"
./dashd stop
sleep 5
rm dashd
cp $DIR/bin/dashd .
cp $DIR/bin/dash-cli .
chmod 755 dashd
rm $FILE
rm -rf $DIR
rm peers.dat debug.log db.log
echo "########### Restarting the updated Master Node"
sleep 2
./dashd -reindex​

Once on v12 and future updates (provided no more changes in directory structure)

#!/bin/bash
echo "########### This script will update the Master Node"
sleep 5
URL=$1
FILE=${URL##*/}
DIR=${FILE:0:11}
cd ~/.dash
wget $URL
tar xzvf $FILE
echo "########### Stopping the Master Node"
./dash-cli stop
sleep 5
rm dashd
cp $DIR/bin/dashd .
cp $DIR/bin/dash-cli .
chmod 755 dashd
rm $FILE
rm -rf $DIR
rm peers.dat debug.log db.log
echo "########### Restarting the updated Master Node"
sleep 2
./dashd
Pages: « 1 ... 5029 5030 5031 5032 5033 5034 5035 5036 5037 5038 5039 5040 5041 5042 5043 5044 5045 5046 5047 5048 5049 5050 5051 5052 5053 5054 5055 5056 5057 5058 5059 5060 5061 5062 5063 5064 5065 5066 5067 5068 5069 5070 5071 5072 5073 5074 5075 5076 5077 5078 [5079] 5080 5081 5082 5083 5084 5085 5086 5087 5088 5089 5090 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 5096 5097 5098 5099 5100 5101 5102 5103 5104 5105 5106 5107 5108 5109 5110 5111 5112 5113 5114 5115 5116 5117 5118 5119 5120 5121 5122 5123 5124 5125 5126 5127 5128 5129 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: