Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:26:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 [626] 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722495 times)
minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:33:40 AM

As slick as the black & white logo is, I think it sends the wrong message. It says, "we're trying to look badass". To me, it's the style of logo better suited to companies targeting a youth market, like energy drinks or extreme sports or gaming peripherals. In the context we're competing in (finance), it makes us look unprofessional/young/inexperienced, or like we're overcompensating.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=extreme+sports+logo&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

http://breezycreativedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mother-energy-drink-logo-design.jpg

http://cdn.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/razer-hd-61537.jpg

No-one can deny that these don't all look cool. But they're not suited to finance, where trust & reliability are super important.

I would totally disagree, like any logo it should work also in black and white, like when you print it only black and white... and it's still regocnisable as the same logo.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:33:49 AM

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
boubou

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:40:02 AM

As slick as the black & white logo is, I think it sends the wrong message. It says, "we're trying to look badass". To me, it's the style of logo better suited to companies targeting a youth market, like energy drinks or extreme sports or gaming peripherals. In the context we're competing in (finance), it makes us look unprofessional/young/inexperienced, or like we're overcompensating.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=extreme+sports+logo&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

http://breezycreativedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mother-energy-drink-logo-design.jpg

No-one can deny that these don't all look cool. But they're not suited to finance, where trust & reliability are super important.

About the Logo: the point is not to pick the one people on this thread prefer, neither the coolest one, but the one that will do the better job As a logo.
I think there is 2 major condition that  need to be done:

1) friendly colors and smooth design that your parents should find appealing.

2) a reminder of what this coin is, (so a locket, a shield, anything mainly accepted as connected to privacy, check the firewall or antivirus icons)

3) a name that is less badass Ok, I did not bring it back.

Now, if the aim of the coin is to be used only for illegal activity, take the opposite: black logo, sharp disign, badass name.

BEHNZiP6UZunp41vurNaQi4r2hvgG57yzi : BdG
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:54:20 AM

+1

The press only want to write about something controversial. If we give them dark themes they will write about the negative side. This keeps adoption low and the price low.

Those that want anonymity for nefarious reasons will still use the coin. They will give a price boost to darkcoin when darksend is ready. But they are not the target audience, IMO.

The articles in the press when darksend is out will have an illegal usage bias. We should be aiming for greater debate about anonymity from the blockchain. That way we get compared to bitcoin and an alternative to bitcoin from the word go.

Without question - this comparison will boost the price of darkcoin.

On that front, zerocash will be out in May. We don't want to let them be written about as the default alternative to bitcoin for those that want anonymity. Especially if we give it to them cheaply by holding back our brand message.

It may be uncool, but banks and financial services is supposed to be BORING. You don't want exotic people and organisations looking after your money.  Slick, elegant, upstanding, dependable, safe, trusted. These are the sort of brand messages we want to convey.

In an effort to appeal to our greed, a sensible approach can make you rich.

You want people to able to talk freely about darkcoin at dinner table conversation without having to preface their words by saying, "I know it's mainly used for buying guns and drugs, but I like using it because......'
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 08:55:17 AM

I would totally disagree, like any logo it should work also in black and white, like when you print it only black and white... and it's still regocnisable as the same logo.

IMO the fact that it's black & white isn't the primary reason that it looks like it's shooting for the 'badass' category. It's the design & font. Of course, the b&w contributes, but as you say, any logo should also work in b&w. The point I was making wasn't about colours, it was about what we're communicating to the target demographic.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
chaeplin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:56:48 AM

Since your port is not 7903, your node is not listed in http://drk.poolhash.org/ .
Backend crawler has no way to find out worker port of your node.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:10:09 AM

I like this one the best so far

TanteStefana

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:33:11 AM

LOL, I'll go for LimLims' eye too Wink

I have a problem.  I just sent 5 darksend payments and none of them seem to be going through.  The last time I did this, i gave up on it and got charged 0.1 drk for each misbehaving send when I finally closed my computer.  Several blocks have gone through since I started and yet, my darksends are still stuck at state 2.

I'm wondering if they will ever go through?  Is there something wrong?  I am using the latest (as in I just downloaded it fresh this evening in case it was updated) beta.  I really don't want to lose half a dark again, so I'll leave my computer on all night but I'm reporting this in case there is a problem that someone might look into??

Thanks Smiley

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
nzminer
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 10:01:49 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2014, 10:12:36 AM by nzminer

+1

The press only want to write about something controversial. If we give them dark themes they will write about the negative side. This keeps adoption low and the price low.

Those that want anonymity for nefarious reasons will still use the coin. They will give a price boost to darkcoin when darksend is ready. But they are not the target audience, IMO.

The articles in the press when darksend is out will have an illegal usage bias. We should be aiming for greater debate about anonymity from the blockchain. That way we get compared to bitcoin and an alternative to bitcoin from the word go.

On that front, zerocash will be out in May. We don't want to let them be written about as the default alternative to bitcoin for those that want anonymity. Especially if we give it to them cheaply by holding back our brand message.

It may be uncool, but banks and financial services is supposed to be BORING. You don't want exotic people and organisations looking after your money.  Slick, elegant, upstanding, dependable, safe, trusted. These are the sort of brand messages we want to convey.

You want people to able to talk freely about darkcoin at dinner table conversation without having to preface their words by saying, "I know it's mainly used for buying guns and drugs, but I like using it because......'
I quite agree with what you say, but we need to promote privacy as a feature, of course this coin will be used for illegal activity, but privacy is just important for regular users who dont want people to see how many funds they have in their wallet, such things should be kept confidential, so if a receiver doesnt know the address from the sender, thats a good thing.

I dont think that the name should be changed at all, but it does suggest its a shady coin or something from the underground.
I feel that the current logo is not suitable, but i dont see anything wrong with this one below, its sleek, no fancy colours, looks professional, clean cut and clear to read.
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FfIhcGBNh.jpg&t=538&c=xGVYf5ykeM2MXA

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 10:20:40 AM

Years of experience with manufacturing processes, specifically new process development, force me to double if not triple every number that that guy said . . assuming he's telling the truth.

So that's a few months x 2.5, 50k development x 2.5 (probably more, but sticking with consistency), 300M# x 2.5, 2k x 2.5 seems more reasonable to me.

If that few months x 2.5 is even close to a year then that's not nearly as bad.

Plus getting that kind of hash out of my GPU's would easily cost me above $50k in just computer parts . . so in comparison thats a far cry more reasonable than the scrypt asic field.

+

So he has actually no idea if those numbers are real, and frankly, while I am no expert either, they seem quite unrealistic to me.

A 300 MH/S scrypt asic goes for ~$2,500, so there is no way an X11 could go for the same price.

Additionally, at the moment, the market cap of scrypt coins is about 250 times greater than X11 coins. Even if the $50,000 development cost number was correct, that is 3% of the current market cap! That is an insanely high risk to reward ratio for a company to take.

tl;dr: I'm not expecting an X11 asic anytime soon. Whether it is good or bad is a whole other debate.

He's talking about FPGA with chips ("6 Spartan 6 LX150") that are on the market, not ASICs. ASICs are a different issue.
goin2mars

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 10:26:46 AM

Years of experience with manufacturing processes, specifically new process development, force me to double if not triple every number that that guy said . . assuming he's telling the truth.

So that's a few months x 2.5, 50k development x 2.5 (probably more, but sticking with consistency), 300M# x 2.5, 2k x 2.5 seems more reasonable to me.

If that few months x 2.5 is even close to a year then that's not nearly as bad.

Plus getting that kind of hash out of my GPU's would easily cost me above $50k in just computer parts . . so in comparison thats a far cry more reasonable than the scrypt asic field.

+

So he has actually no idea if those numbers are real, and frankly, while I am no expert either, they seem quite unrealistic to me.

A 300 MH/S scrypt asic goes for ~$2,500, so there is no way an X11 could go for the same price.

Additionally, at the moment, the market cap of scrypt coins is about 250 times greater than X11 coins. Even if the $50,000 development cost number was correct, that is 3% of the current market cap! That is an insanely high risk to reward ratio for a company to take.

tl;dr: I'm not expecting an X11 asic anytime soon. Whether it is good or bad is a whole other debate.

He's talking about FPGA boards that are on the market right now, not ASICs. ASICs are a different issue.

I was waiting for someone to call me on that. Happy someone's paying attention, sometimes it seems like I just get skipped over.

But from my simple understanding of FPGA's, wouldn't saying that if one could hit 300m# as was implied . . it wouldn't be much of a leap to say that a comparable ASIC would reach well over 1G#?

This seems very unrealistic, based on the typical GPU hashing speeds I see. Unless the miner were to be so inefficient that it makes these numbers non-scalable I can't see an FPGA coming to 300m#.

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 10:40:47 AM

But from my simple understanding of FPGA's, wouldn't saying that if one could hit 300m# as was implied . . it wouldn't be much of a leap to say that a comparable ASIC would reach well over 1G#?

Perhaps. But if FPGAs do the job cheaply (2k per board as he calculates it), then there is not much incentive for ASIC manufacturers unless they can offer much better price for performance. If the FPGA costs 2k (and is sold 3k on retail) and the ASIC goes for 1gh at 10k retail price, it cant be sold. People would rather buy multiple FPGAs. It'll have no serious cost/hash advantage over the FPGA and FPGAs are reprogrammable/reusable as far as I know, which allow them to be resold when they are obsolete as x11 miners (something that can't happen with ASICs, limiting their life).

This seems very unrealistic, based on the typical GPU hashing speeds I see. Unless the miner were to be so inefficient that it makes these numbers non-scalable I can't see an FPGA coming to 300m#.

I have no idea how they perform really, but I'll say this which is somewhat "weird": Three days ago I saw a dream that FPGAs could go 52x over GPUs on X11 (that would indicate ~150Mh). I do not know if its prophetic or subconscious junk, but it was too specific to ignore - which usually indicates that it's not subconscious junk. Last time I saw something about cryptocurrencies, it was about Litecoin going from 16$ to 25$ (and it happened within the next 2 days).
patrolman

Activity: 447

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 10:47:45 AM

These are my favourites:

There does seem to be one clear favourite, but it seems some people are against the black and white, how about asking the designer to show some variations with colour, maybe something like this:

In this case I went with blue because in the logo discussion thread on darkcointalk.org it was suggested that blue was considered the colour associated most with trustworthiness or reliability. No doubt there would be occasions where the black and white image could be used but with a little colour it does give a different impression. I'm sure the designer could come up with some great variations.

I also like the idea of a keyhole because it is very simple and can convey a meaning of privacy to most people, but only if it could be done while retaining the clean image of the logo.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 10:50:29 AM

+1

I quite agree with what you say, but we need to promote privacy as a feature, of course this coin will be used for illegal activity, but privacy is just important for regular users who dont want people to see how many funds they have in their wallet, such things should be kept confidential, so if a receiver doesnt know the address from the sender, thats a good thing.

I dont think that the name should be changed at all, but it does suggest its a shady coin or something from the underground.
I feel that the current logo is not suitable, but i dont see anything wrong with this one below, its sleek, no fancy colours, looks professional, clean cut and clear to read.
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FfIhcGBNh.jpg&t=538&c=xGVYf5ykeM2MXA

I'm not too bothered about Darkcoin as a name. The logo for Darkcoin just needs to look like it fits into the financial landscape.

DarkSend is the feature that people will be using. That is what I think we should be looking at in terms of the bigger picture.
goin2mars

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 11:11:40 AM

Perhaps. But if FPGAs do the job cheaply (2k per board as he calculates it), then there is not much incentive for ASIC manufacturers unless they can offer much better price for performance. If the FPGA costs 2k (and is sold 3k on retail) and the ASIC goes for 1gh at 10k retail price, it cant be sold. People would rather buy multiple FPGAs. It'll have no serious cost/hash advantage over the FPGA and FPGAs are reprogrammable/reusable as far as I know, which allow them to be resold when they are obsolete as x11 miners (something that can't happen with ASICs, limiting their life).

I have no idea how they perform really, but I'll say this which is somewhat "weird": Three days ago I saw a dream that FPGAs could go 52x over GPUs on X11 (that would indicate ~150Mh). I do not know if its prophetic or subconscious junk, but it was too specific to ignore - which usually indicates that it's not subconscious junk. Last time I saw something about cryptocurrencies, it was about Litecoin going from 16$ to 25$ (and it happened within the next 2 days).

Well, if they must come then I'd hope them to be more in line with your dreams than the estimation.

I guess I'll be doing some digging on FPGA's, to get a better understanding on how fast they could implement x11.
DR3AMR2

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:03:50 PM

Anyone tried using the datadir option with darkcoin-qt?  I think there's a bug in this wallet (v0.10.0)
n00bnoxious

Activity: 280

Bitnation Development Team Member

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:25:30 PM

These are my favourites:

There does seem to be one clear favourite, but it seems some people are against the black and white, how about asking the designer to show some variations with colour, maybe something like this:

In this case I went with blue because in the logo discussion thread on darkcointalk.org it was suggested that blue was considered the colour associated most with trustworthiness or reliability. No doubt there would be occasions where the black and white image could be used but with a little colour it does give a different impression. I'm sure the designer could come up with some great variations.

I also like the idea of a keyhole because it is very simple and can convey a meaning of privacy to most people, but only if it could be done while retaining the clean image of the logo.

I far prefer that one - the blue is the perfect tone I think, but perhaps eliminate the black completely. My skill with colour matching isn't fantastic, so I'm hesitant to suggest what colour should be used though.
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:33:38 PM

Can you invert colors on the word darkcoin?
Dark black....coin blue... Logo blue...

Thnx....

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
organizer

Activity: 378

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:35:07 PM

I'm a broken record here, but IMO they might not be the target audience, but they will be the ones who have the ability to increase price based on adoption.

Really then please explain who is the target audience and what is the target use? "People concerned about privacy". What does this mean? How will the coin be used in "private" on a large scale? Those who wish DRK adoption to the general public, that's all fine and good but DRK's main selling point doesn't matter to the majority of potential users.

I use Bitcoin for 3 purposes: 1. Hold for future appreciation, 2. Redeem for fiat, 3. Buy non-illegal stuff online (TigerDirect, etc.).

So what do i care about being private? For #3. I HAVE TO GIVE SHIPPING INFO. I think i'm generally in the mainstream when it comes to crypto, i use it, i invest in it, i believe in it, but I don't care about being anonymous.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but please, give me some idea of what non-illegal transactions that it would be imperative to use DRK (and primarily DRK) for?

I just think it's naive to think that DRK can somehow gain mass appeal without -first- being adopted by those who want to buy their pot.

patrolman

Activity: 447

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:02:19 PM

I'm a broken record here, but IMO they might not be the target audience, but they will be the ones who have the ability to increase price based on adoption.

Really then please explain who is the target audience and what is the target use? "People concerned about privacy". What does this mean? How will the coin be used in "private" on a large scale? Those who wish DRK adoption to the general public, that's all fine and good but DRK's main selling point doesn't matter to the majority of potential users.

I use Bitcoin for 3 purposes: 1. Hold for future appreciation, 2. Redeem for fiat, 3. Buy non-illegal stuff online (TigerDirect, etc.).

So what do i care about being private? For #3. I HAVE TO GIVE SHIPPING INFO. I think i'm generally in the mainstream when it comes to crypto, i use it, i invest in it, i believe in it, but I don't care about being anonymous.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but please, give me some idea of what non-illegal transactions that it would be imperative to use DRK (and primarily DRK) for?

I just think it's naive to think that DRK can somehow gain mass appeal without -first- being adopted by those who want to buy their pot.

If you don't see how darksend can benefit the general public, you won't have any problems posting a history of all transactions from your current bank account, or all bank accounts you have ever had for that matter. Sure, bitcoin addresses do not necessarily have a direct link to any individual or organisation, but in many cases it would be easy enough to establish the owner of the wallet, especially if the information is posted in a public forum. If somebody has your address they can see all transfers in the blockchain and may be able to establish who you have done business with. If legitimate businesses accept bitcoin a lot of them would probably want to keep the same address, so payments aren't sent to the wrong address, causing problems with their clients. In many cases it might not be important but many people are not such exhibitionists that they wish for their finances to be public information.
Pages: « 1 ... 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 [626] 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: