Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:23:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 [635] 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722505 times)
ErrorId

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:50:21 PM

If that is truly there case, then we need to change the name. It is earlier enough we still could. If being a dark coin is going to be such a challenge to get mass adoption, what is the point of calling it darkcoin?

Well, I argued for a name change some time ago, but the idea didn't have enough support -- basically the official line is that the name will not change. The Darkcoin brand actually does a decent job of filling the "underground" niche, but I have always felt it will prevent the coin from gaining widespread adoption. Of course, that's just an opinion, and time will tell. IMO the best that can be achieved given the circumstances is to mitigate the effects of the stigma by carefully thought out branding & marketing.

Put the effort into DarkSend branding.

That's where the money is.

While I agree DarkSend is the secret sauce. What's going to happen if when someone clones Evans work and comes up with a much better name, marketing and branding strategy? Poof goes the market share.

I believe this coin has enough inivation to give bitcoin a run for it's money, what I don't understand is why Evan is pigeonholing his work.

Just state that Darkcoin will keep Darksend as closed source until it reaches 100$ and has a mean over 100$ for 1-2 months.

I don't think that will work. People will not trust a non open source solution.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blajde

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:05:04 PM

If that is truly there case, then we need to change the name. It is earlier enough we still could. If being a dark coin is going to be such a challenge to get mass adoption, what is the point of calling it darkcoin?

Well, I argued for a name change some time ago, but the idea didn't have enough support -- basically the official line is that the name will not change. The Darkcoin brand actually does a decent job of filling the "underground" niche, but I have always felt it will prevent the coin from gaining widespread adoption. Of course, that's just an opinion, and time will tell. IMO the best that can be achieved given the circumstances is to mitigate the effects of the stigma by carefully thought out branding & marketing.

While I agree DarkSend is the secret sauce. What's going to happen if when someone clones Evans work and comes up with a much better name, marketing and branding strategy? Poof goes the market share.

I believe this coin has enough inivation to give bitcoin a run for it's money, what I don't understand is why Evan is pigeonholing his work.

Just state that Darkcoin will keep Darksend as closed source until it reaches 100$ and has a mean over 100$ for 1-2 months.

well if you look it in terms of us vs them. We all in here trust the closed source anyways. if people want in then we push them for buy in, preventing early clones with snatch and run tactics. In a sense it would be most fair to early adopters aswell. I don't think it will work either but brainstorming is nice
eltito

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:14:36 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 10:25:29 PM by eltito

Proposed selection of logo candidates

The vote will happen tomorrow, so if the selection in the following thread is missing your favourite, please let me know:

https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/proposed-selection-of-logo-candidates-for-voting.216/

#2 is the best all around in terms of professionalism and sophistication with a bit of edge

#6 if you want "professional cool" - my favorite of the lot, but not suited for our purposes (more for a video game company or indy film studio)

#8 or something like it if you want safe, dorky corporate
patrolman

Activity: 447

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:28:42 PM

I agree. Look how Darkcoin was pulled from The Armory because it wasn't open source. If it's not open source there's is too much trust involved and in my opinion it almost definitely wouldn't get to $100.

I think the wheels are in motion. Darkcoin is to stay as the name and soon the logo will be chosen so the real marketing can begin. There is already an established base of supporters which could be larger, of course, but is nothing to sneeze at. The price has been quite stable in the last couple of weeks despite Bitcoin having a tough time.

This was the plan of attack not long ago:
1.) Beta V4, V5...  - Large changes that require everyone to upgrade to use DarkSend
2.) Beyond this point, DarkSend is ready for real use and will be available in binary form (closed source still)
3.) Release Candidates - RC1, RC2, etc - I'll be taking bug reports, but these are smaller changes and none of them should require everyone to update
4.) First stable release - I think this stage should also be closed source until we're sure everything is perfect
5.) Public audits, where the closed source is shared with someone who people trust to review DarkSend (I'm not sure who that would be yet)
6.) After all audits pass and we have a real product, opensource

Interest should be drummed up once the logo is decided on, then turned up a notch leading into each of the key stages listed above. I think once it's open source plenty of people will jump on board but if it's enough publicity beforehand, there will be a lot of people wanting to get in before it actually becomes open (hopefully not too many specualtors).
janos666

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:40:46 PM

Proposed selection of logo candidates

The vote will happen tomorrow, so if the selection in the following thread is missing your favourite, please let me know:

https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/proposed-selection-of-logo-candidates-for-voting.216/

My vote is still the original #1.

I can't really explain why but it feels like "something different". It's not your boring daily sh|tcoin. It's something else. It has it's own unique character which really copes with it's "dark" name.
And I am truly in love with this shade of blue.
Also, I can clearly recognize the D character (unlike with some new "trendy" font styles where almost every characters look alike).

Please don't turn the face of this coin into a "trendy" new dynamic copy-paste jumpy style.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:45:12 PM

Interest should be drummed up once the logo is decided on, then turned up a notch leading into each of the key stages listed above. I think once it's open source plenty of people will jump on board but if it's enough publicity beforehand, there will be a lot of people wanting to get in before it actually becomes open (hopefully not too many specualtors).

We must leave some margin for errors and hiccups. Anonymity is a huge task and it's unlikely everything will go without unforeseen problems. If you have attracted the spotlight while going live and you have problems after official launch / post-beta (a likely scenario), it can instantly turn around and people say "oh its broken" even if some things just need a bit of fine tuning. Bitcoin is 5 y.old code and is still patched quite a lot (0.90 changelog quite extensive), so, naturally, a few months old code that is not reviewed will require patching, hardening, etc.

Now this margin can be achieved in two ways: Not attracting too much attention OR attracting attention with a footnote that it's still in active development or something.
fearcoka
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:47:37 PM

Shirt order update:

Guys in the US, expect your shirts this week. Heads up for those who don't check mail regularly.

I still have a spare XL and a 2XL available.

Woah! Can i buy a large and medium one plz! Of the tshirt with the chosen new logo Smiley

Just Nao Tomori and Bitcoin ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
janos666

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:57:40 PM

By the way, I re-downloaded the Windows QT wallet and it finally synced.
Now it's 9.1.2 instead of 10.0.0 and misses the DarkSend option. Undecided (One step forward, one step back.)
TanteStefana

Activity: 280

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:03:43 PM

Crypto people will not seriously use it unless it is open source.  Until it is finished and open sourced, it's not taken seriously.

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:05:34 PM

The network hash is nuts.

Has someone put out a profit calculator that can't add up, or are they pricing each coin at $200 like me?  Grin
ErrorId

Activity: 133

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:07:05 PM

Has someone put out a profit calculator that can't add up, or are they pricing each coin at $200 like me?  Grin

Only $200? All my calculations are based on $1500.  Grin
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:10:24 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 11:26:25 PM by TanteStefana

By the way, I re-downloaded the Windows QT wallet and it finally synced.
Now it's 9.1.2 instead of 10.0.0 and misses the DarkSend option. Undecided (One step forward, one step back.)

More testing on Monday, so it's moving forwards, soon!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:10:29 PM

I like your calculator better. Mine can look like $2,000 after some beer with a vodka or JD chaser.
janos666

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:14:13 PM

Is it already established how many coins are needed to start a DarkSend "mixer" node? Is it fixed on 1000 or was that only an example?

If I need 1000 then I guess I should start buying slowly before more people will start to get the same idea. Tongue
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:22:46 PM

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
patrolman

Activity: 447

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:24:24 PM

We must leave some margin for errors and hiccups. Anonymity is a huge task and it's unlikely everything will go without unforeseen problems. If you have attracted the spotlight while going live and you have problems after official launch / post-beta (a likely scenario), it can instantly turn around and people say "oh its broken" even if some things just need a bit of fine tuning. Bitcoin is 5 y.old code and is still patched quite a lot (0.90 changelog quite extensive), so, naturally, a few months old code that is not reviewed will require patching, hardening, etc.

Now this margin can be achieved in two ways: Not attracting too much attention OR attracting attention with a footnote that it's still in active development or something.
Of course margin for error is a good idea. I think with a footnote is the best option so each key moment can be used as a marketing opportunity. It probably is a good idea not to make too big a deal of it at each and every stage listed above - people may begin to think it will never be open sourced - but enough to keep it on people's radar and hopefully attract some early investors who know a good thing when they see it. As long as people know it's a work in progress they shouldn't get scared off at slight hiccups.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:25:40 PM

Is it already established how many coins are needed to start a DarkSend "mixer" node? Is it fixed on 1000 or was that only an example?

If I need 1000 then I guess I should start buying slowly before more people will start to get the same idea. Tongue

Just a random thought from your post.

There are plenty of people that want to benefit financially from running a master node, but either can't afford to, can't do the technical support for DDoS or can't afford to input the time.

Is there a way to create a service for running master nodes where people with DRK can work with people that got the know-how for an agreed profit split?  Handing over 1,000 DRK takes a lot of trust and I don't think anyone would do that except in very rare situations. But a solution might bring in lots of people that would otherwise be sat on the sidelines not securing the network.

Someone was talking about p2pool and wallets being kept separate?
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:26:50 PM

I'm also mining bitcoin, which frankly, must have a terrible return, especially when you don't have but a 2 gigahash antminer, lol

So why do people mine when it's not profitable?  Or is it profitable?  I have no clue, but I'm mining dark fer sure! LOL

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
louiseth1
Legendary

Activity: 924

Bitfarms.io

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 11:29:20 PM

SuchPool's DarkCoin Pool!

http://Dark.SuchPool.pw

Every miner is welcomed aboard! We just added 3 more dedicated servers to our cluster, now the pools are snappier. We also upgraded MPOS, fixed the shares issues regarding the x11 algorythm. Also, we have 16 stratums to serve our users. Join us to enjoy the benefits of our strong architecture and knowledge!

Trusted amongst the community, we will offer you peace of mind mining. Our servers are well maintained and our team competent. Our rock solid infrastructure and good global networking will ensure a good connectivity to our services, even under attacks.

Here are some specs about our pools:

• 1% Pool Fee
  • PROP payout system
  • VARDIFF, Stratum Server
  • 24/7 Monitoring on Stratum, MPOS, Central Wallet, Mysql and much more
  • DDoS Protected
  • Clustered System to better distribute the load
  • Brand new hardware, Built by us
  • Raided SSDs to ensure maximal database performance and reliability
  • Hosted in a state of the art Datacenter
  • Best bandwidth carriers, excellent connectivity and latency worldwide

Point your miners at: stratum+tcp://stratum1.suchpool.pw:3335

Our team is knowlegeable and can help you start mining. Just ask us!

Come start mining now on http://Dark.SuchPool.pw

To reach us:

URL: http://www.suchpool.pw
    Email: admin@suchpool.pw
    IRC: irc.freenode.net - #suchpool

Bitfarms.io - Powering Blockchains with Sustainable Energy
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:30:29 PM

I've stopped now, but I gotta tell ya, I'm the worst at buying and selling.  last buy was Friday, and the price went way up, and of course, that's when I bought....and bitcoin, when I bought the bitcoin, it was around 480, and it dropped down below 420 soon after that as well.  Now dark is low again, LOL.

I figure it doesn't matter that much in the end, and it's a good thing to know I have no talent for telling when to buy and when to sell, so I'm a long term investor.  Hopefully I can see quality (I think I can).

Anyway, I'm bullish on buying darkcoin.  I've used up all the cash I can find (far more than I should have)  If I could dredge another 10 bucks, I'd put it into dark again.  It's been good that the price remains low.  if anyone wants to invest in dark, they really can.  If I can, anyone can!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
Pages: « 1 ... 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 [635] 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: