Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:59:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 2163 2164 2165 2166 [2167] 2168 2169 2170 2171 2172 2173 2174 2175 2176 2177 2178 2179 2180 2181 2182 2183 2184 2185 2186 2187 2188 2189 2190 2191 2192 2193 2194 2195 2196 2197 2198 2199 2200 2201 2202 2203 2204 2205 2206 2207 2208 2209 2210 2211 2212 2213 2214 2215 2216 2217 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722514 times)
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:23:28 PM

Wallets v9.11.6 (stable) and v10.11.6 were merged overnight and are now available for download.

Please update at your first convenience.

http://goo.gl/0NzEDn

Can you pls update first post.. specially below part as its no longer up to date :

Latest Client Stable: 9.11.5 and RC3 with Darksend is 10.11.5 - See downloads!

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eltito

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:29:21 PM

Wallets v9.11.6 (stable) and v10.11.6 were merged overnight and are now available for download.

Can you pls update first post.. specially below part as its no longer up to date :

I've updated the text, Evan will paste it in when he has a minute (I don't have access to his bitcointalk account Wink).
qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:30:31 PM

I've updated the text, Evan will paste it in when he has a minute (I don't have access to his bitcointalk account Wink).

thanks .. appreciate it

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
patrolman

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:33:30 PM

Is anyone knowledgeable enough about Amazon EC2 to tell me whether or not they are a threat to the masternode network? What I mean is, could they unveil large amounts of users if they wanted to simply because they have access to the physical machines? With all the xKEYSCORE and general NSA bullshit it seems like you can never be sure that a private company is operating privately any more.

Anyone using Amazon has an account there, with credit card or something.  So yah, Amazon has all the information to out you if you have a Masternode with them.  Like Google, they could give the Gov any info the Gov asked for (with a warrant) It has nothing to do with Amazon having access to your virtual machine, they don't have to mess with that any.

Our masternode ip addresses on the network will definitively show that we are running masternodes.

But, there is no law against crypto currency, and if they try to do that, they lose.

Maybe the law has changed, but to the best of my knowledge any entity based in the US, if requested, has to provide the government with the personal details they ask for, according to the Patriot Act, with no need for a warrant. So it could be claimed that the operator of a MasterNode is a supected terrorist - that old chestnut - and Amazon is legally obligated to supply the NSA/CIA/FBI etc. with the personal details associated with the account. Amazon, in theory, has to comply and probably does in practice.

In my opinion the safest bet for the DarkSend network would be using servers belonging to enities not based in the US, which are not legally obliged to provide guvthugs with any details they request. Of course for many Americans this could be seen as "unpatriotic", which kind of brings us back to the discussion that many have been having over the preceding pages about supporting oppression by actively participating in the oppressive system.

Yes, a FISA court can demand pretty much anything from a company, *and* compel the company to keep its disclosures secret. As far as hosting outside the U.S., it couldn't hurt, but just remember the U.S. government has an incredibly long reach. Don't fool yourself into thinking that another country is going to risk the wrath of the U.S. government (sanctions, loss of foreign aid, tariffs, etc.) in order to keep your information secret.

To be fair, I don't think not having any in the US would be the best bet, but potenitally, going forward, it could be a little risky for those using their own personal details in contracting any server package. Again, my understanding is that a warrant would not be needed under the patriot act (the full name is the USA Patriot Act, or "Uniting and Strengthening America Act by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001") to obtain the personal details under some trumped up money laundering financial terrorism investigation. I think having such a concentration in the US with companies subservient to the US Gov could potentially be an issue.

While it's reasonable to believe that if the US gov really wanted details they could probably get them from server providers in other coutries anyway, another thing altogether is having a legal obligation to provide the data, and as you point out, the disclosures remaining in secret. In many (most?) other countries the entities providing the servers presumably would not be run by the state and would have to seek a warrant to obtain the data, not being subject to the PATRIOT act, which is a prime example of the erosion of civil liberties since 9/11.

Maybe the best option is a server in Russia Tongue
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:38:40 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2014, 04:02:30 PM by GhostPlayer

THIS... is true sign of professionalism.

I would not usually do something like this, exposing a private message... but I think it is well deserved.

MineP.it have shown to be TOP pool operators.

In a land packed-filled with shitcoins, it is natural to not be up to speed on true innovation, and not instantly be aware of whats going on with each coin-

A simple communication exchange clearly shows the ethics behind this team.

Miners beware !! MineP.it  ROCKS !!

grazie mille, Dan !!

qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:41:32 PM

I would not usually do something like this, exposing a private message... but I think it is well deserved.

In a land packed-filled with shitcoins, it is natural to not be up to speed on true innovation, and not instantly be aware of whats going on with each coin-

garzie mille, Dan !!

Excellent news !! and i agree.. they rock.

humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:43:48 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2014, 04:03:10 PM by humanitee

Hey guys I'm going to open by stating that I'm currently mostly invested in CLOAK. With that said, I wanted to ask some questions and maybe open an actually useful discussion instead of FUD.

1. I've been told that DRK's anonymity implementation is based on CoinJoin and that there might be an issue with this method that allows transactions to be traced. Could somebody with understanding better than mine explain? And maybe better explain the mood CLOAK intends to use as well?

2. Are the MasterNodes trustless?

3. Why do most of you consider PoS coins to be... PoS's?

Thanks, and let's keep this civil haha

1. DRK's CoinJoin implementation is much better than a regular CoinJoin transaction. Coming in RC4 is a split masternode system, where 2 masternodes are selected and then one splits your transaction amount into denominated units (1 DRK, 5 DRK, 10 DRK, and so on) before you send it to the other one for the actual transaction. No timing analysis can be done on the blockchain to see who denominated at any point in time. The only weakness is that if you own both masternodes, you can trace the payments because you are seeing realtime what clients belong to denominationed units and where those units end up. At some point we are getting IP obfuscation, as well as I2P.

I haven't looked at CLOAK (is it really all caps like that?) in some time, but I know in the beginning they were talking about sending coins through exchanges to remove taint.

2. Yes, masternodes are trustless. They cannot steal your coins. This is DRK's greatest feature. All the other implementations I've seen rely on trust. If CLOAK still works as I've described above, then it is laden with trust and therefore very insecure. It will work until it doesn't.

There is a caveat here though. DRK has a lot of masternodes hosted on Amazon. Amazon has access to the physical machines (which are most likely virtualized instances all the way down to the network switches and controllers). If they wanted to, they could map a great number of transactions. Someone proposed yesterday limiting masternodes 1 and 2 from being in the same IP address range, meaning 54.54.54.54 and 54.54.55.54 would never be selected as masternodes simultaneously. This seems like a good stepping off point to limit concentration of nodes on one provider. If 60% of nodes are hosted on Amazon and they cannot be simultaneously selected for the current round, that means the other 40% will be selected more of the time then Amazon nodes will. This will add an incentive to distribute masternodes across more providers.

3. Proof of stake merely enriches the rich, fuck that. At least with DRK you have to provide a service to the network to increase your wealth, and it is a greatly needed service at that.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:44:37 PM

garzie mille, Dan !!

The power lays in teamplay.

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
solo20

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:52:50 PM

do I need this darkcoind  file in the same folder as the wallet ?
rygamble

Activity: 160

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:02:45 PM

Hey guys I'm going to open by stating that I'm currently mostly invested in CLOAK. With that said, I wanted to ask some questions and maybe open an actually useful discussion instead of FUD.

1. I've been told that DRK's anonymity implementation is based on CoinJoin and that there might be an issue with this method that allows transactions to be traced. Could somebody with understanding better than mine explain? And maybe better explain the mood CLOAK intends to use as well?

2. Are the MasterNodes trustless?

3. Why do most of you consider PoS coins to be... PoS's?

Thanks, and let's keep this civil haha

1. DRK's CoinJoin implementation is much better than a regular CoinJoin transaction. Coming in RC4 is a split masternode system, where 2 masternodes are selected and then one splits your transaction amount into denominated units (1 DRK, 5 DRK, 10 DRK, and so on) before you send it to the other one for the actual transaction. No timing analysis can be done on the blockchain to see who denominated at any point in time. The only weakness is that if you own both masternodes, you can trace the payments because you are seeing realtime what clients belong to denominationed units and where those units end up. At some point we are getting IP obfuscation, as well as I2P.

I haven't looked at CLOAK (is it really all caps like that?) in sometime, but I know in the beginning they were talking about sending coins through exchanges to remove taint.

2. Yes, masternodes are trustless. They cannot steal your coins. This is DRK's greatest feature. All the other implementations I've seen rely on trust. If CLOAK still works as I've described above, then it is laden with trust and therefore very insecure. It will work until it doesn't.

There is a caveat here though. DRK has a lot of masternodes hosted on Amazon. Amazon has access to the physical machines (which are most likely virtualized instances all the way down to the network switches and controllers). If they wanted to, they could most likely map a great majority of transactions. Someone proposed yesterday limiting masternodes 1 and 2 from being in the same IP address range, meaning 54.54.54.54 and 54.54.55.54 would never be selected as masternodes simultaneously. This seems like a good stepping off point to limit concentration of nodes on one provider. If 60% of nodes are hosted on Amazon and they cannot be simultaneously selected for the current round, that means the other 40% will be selected more of the time then Amazon nodes will.

3. Proof of stake merely enriches the rich, fuck that. At least with DRK you have to provide a service to the network to increase your wealth, and it is a greatly needed service at that.
1 & 2. Say a government bought a sizeable amount of DRK and opened a lot of MasterNodes. What stops them from tracking at least a potion of the transactions that are supposed to be anonymous? CloakCoin's main feature (expected in the next couple of days) is called Proof of Stake Anonymous (PoSA), and it uses the PoS feature to conduct anonymous transactions. Pretty cool stuff and no MasterNodes required. Glad to hear DRK is taking steps to alleviate the potential risk here though.

3. I can see where you're coming from, but it also lowers the upkeep of the network significantly. What happens if somehow everybody stops mining DRK all at once? Not saying it's going to happen, just a thought though. PoS obviously has some weaknesses too. The main one to me is that you can just open your wallet once in awhile and get full stake without really securing that network much. This is what also got me looking at BlackCoin and its upcoming PoS 2.0 as they're calling it. A major change there is that wallets must be open to stake.

Nice to have a good discussion here once in awhile haha
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:03:00 PM

no.
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 04:03:22 PM

Try to use wallet, i have this error mesage :
./darkcoin-qt
./darkcoin-qt: symbol lookup error: ./darkcoin-qt: undefined symbol: _ZN10QTextCodec11validCodecsEv

We experienced the same problem on centos with our own project.

Upgrading the build process to use a newer qt4 for linux resolved the problem, we have swapped to qt-4.8.6 when gitian building.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
solo20

Activity: 184

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:09:38 PM

no.
I can delete it correct
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:14:52 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2014, 05:05:59 PM by humanitee

1 & 2. Say a government bought a sizeable amount of DRK and opened a lot of MasterNodes. What stops them from tracking at least a potion of the transactions that are supposed to be anonymous? CloakCoin's main feature (expected in the next couple of days) is called Proof of Stake Anonymous (PoSA), and it uses the PoS feature to conduct anonymous transactions. Pretty cool stuff and no MasterNodes required. Glad to hear DRK is taking steps to alleviate the potential risk here though.

3. I can see where you're coming from, but it also lowers the upkeep of the network significantly. What happens if somehow everybody stops mining DRK all at once? Not saying it's going to happen, just a thought though. PoS obviously has some weaknesses too. The main one to me is that you can just open your wallet once in awhile and get full stake without really securing that network much. This is what also got me looking at BlackCoin and its upcoming PoS 2.0 as they're calling it. A major change there is that wallets must be open to stake.

Nice to have a good discussion here once in awhile haha

1 & 2. They would have to buy an extraordinary amount of DRK considering there are already 600 masternodes. Furthermore, with IP obfuscation and I2P, they wouldn't know who the user was. If they bought 50% of the network they'd be selected 25% of the time as both masternodes. To mitigate this, a potential solution would be to DarkSend multiple times to yourself before sending to the recipient.

I'll look into the PoSA.

3. To each their own. Your scenario is not feasible, even if all the pools were taken down.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
dotnetmin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:19:58 PM

darkcoind for linux  v.10.11.5 had 53 MB. The new one under 10MB. I did try to start it on the server and got a fault massage.
Anything wrong or did i make something wrong ?
aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:21:18 PM

Nice to have a good discussion here once in awhile hah

Here we mainly hunt trolls, for good stuff you can go to: htts://darkcointalk.org   Wink
dihydrogenmonoxide

Activity: 197
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:21:48 PM

Try to use wallet, i have this error mesage :
./darkcoin-qt
./darkcoin-qt: symbol lookup error: ./darkcoin-qt: undefined symbol: _ZN10QTextCodec11validCodecsEv

We experienced the same problem on centos with our own project.

Upgrading the build process to use a newer qt4 for linux resolved the problem, we have swapped to qt-4.8.6 when gitian building.

Why are you refering to a 3 month old post - is this a current issue?

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way." - Josh Billings
dihydrogenmonoxide

Activity: 197
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:22:59 PM

http://[Suspicious link removed]/0NzEDn

darkcoind for linux  v.10.11.5 had 53 MB. The new one under 10MB. I did try to start it on the server and got a fault massage.

Debug symbols removed via 'strip' - should not affect the functionality.

Can you provide the error message please?

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way." - Josh Billings
eltito

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:24:33 PM

darkcoind for linux  v.10.11.5 had 53 MB. The new one under 10MB. I did try to start it on the server and got a fault massage.

I don't have a linux box handy, but the binary tgz alone is over 15MB.  Did you compile from source or download binary?
dotnetmin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:25:48 PM

darkcoind for linux  v.10.11.5 had 53 MB. The new one under 10MB. I did try to start it on the server and got a fault massage.

I don't have a linux box handy, but the binary tgz alone is over 15MB.  Did you compile from source or download binary?

downloaded the binary
Pages: « 1 ... 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 2163 2164 2165 2166 [2167] 2168 2169 2170 2171 2172 2173 2174 2175 2176 2177 2178 2179 2180 2181 2182 2183 2184 2185 2186 2187 2188 2189 2190 2191 2192 2193 2194 2195 2196 2197 2198 2199 2200 2201 2202 2203 2204 2205 2206 2207 2208 2209 2210 2211 2212 2213 2214 2215 2216 2217 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: