Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:00:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3001 3002 3003 3004 3005 3006 3007 3008 3009 3010 3011 3012 3013 3014 3015 3016 3017 3018 3019 3020 3021 3022 3023 3024 3025 3026 3027 3028 3029 3030 3031 3032 3033 3034 3035 3036 3037 3038 3039 3040 3041 3042 3043 3044 3045 3046 3047 3048 3049 3050 [3051] 3052 3053 3054 3055 3056 3057 3058 3059 3060 3061 3062 3063 3064 3065 3066 3067 3068 3069 3070 3071 3072 3073 3074 3075 3076 3077 3078 3079 3080 3081 3082 3083 3084 3085 3086 3087 3088 3089 3090 3091 3092 3093 3094 3095 3096 3097 3098 3099 3100 3101 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722678 times)
YourMother
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1046

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 07:30:50 PM

Dumping competition on Mintpal

The absolute worst people in history, ranked by the wisdom of the crowd: "Vlad the Impaler", "Mihnea the Evil", "Ivan the Terrible" and "Evan the Instaminer".
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 08:03:27 PM

I doubt anyone here is more of a newbie than I am with Arch Linux. I have been playing with it for less than a week. This morning heard about the bash bug, ran the test, and yes I was vulnerable. Hmm... heard how easy Arch is to update so for the first time ran "sudo pacman -Syu" 

BOOM--vulnerability gone.  Way to go Arch.  I'm starting to like this...
I played with Arch, never could get used to it. I'm still do "emerge world -uND" [take a nap]

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul

Activity: 560

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 08:07:20 PM

Another of my stupid questions:
All manuals on masternodes are saying how ports should be closed and how root account should not be used.. Personally I use root login with 15 chars long password and cold wallet set-up and did not bother closing the ports - can ANYTHING really happen to me?
My guess is 99.9% not but still would like to get a second opinion. Everyone is saying how root should not be used but I do not see the danger with the cold wallet & decent pw.
My dear drobek, we were all once newbies at everything, and will always be newbies at somethings. Once you understand something, you can often profit by going against the stream, but in an area where you are a newbie, statements like this are dangerous if not foolhardy: "Everyone is saying how root should not be used but I do not see the danger with the cold wallet & decent pw. "

Your cold wallet may be safe, but if your machine is compromised you may be subject to all sorts of future grief... not to mention the possible eventual loss of any funds/information that pass through or are produced by it. IMHO.
Thank you for your reply strix. While the statement indeed sounds naive I still wonder how anyone can guess/force a decent password. Have talked to a few people who were hacked and almost all of them had either simple pw or pw they reused on multiple occasions. At this point I think that a combo of decent PW and frequent apt-get update/upgrade may be adequate for cold wallet set up but still preferred to get a second opinion to running everything as a root.
I'm a sys/net admin with 15+ years of experience and I can tell you that the biggest threat is YOURSELF! Just make a typo as root and kiss your system goodbye! Happened to me twice, I have learned the hard way... You don't have to  Wink

Some examples (do not try this on your masternode):
rm -rf .*
mv / /dev/null
find -type f -mtime +30 -exec mv {} /dev/null \;
whatever > /dev/sda

Play it safe, log in as a regular user and use sudo!  Smiley
So much of this.

Don't forget the times you've copied a huge pile of data into a folder, but you forgot to mount the block device to that folder first... And even better, the whole reason you were doing it was because you had to save some data that a user copied into a folder that is actually a mount point, but the block device wasn't mounted to it, so... Oh, did I mention; it's a tape. Good to be paid by the hour, eh?

cp != mv

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
Propulsion

Activity: 658

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:22:40 PM

All manuals on masternodes are saying how ports should be closed and how root account should not be used.. Personally I use root login with 15 chars long password and cold wallet set-up and did not bother closing the ports - can ANYTHING really happen to me?
My guess is 99.9% not but still would like to get a second opinion. Everyone is saying how root should not be used but I do not see the danger with the cold wallet & decent pw.
My dear drobek, we were all once newbies at everything, and will always be newbies at somethings. Once you understand something, you can often profit by going against the stream, but in an area where you are a newbie, statements like this are dangerous if not foolhardy: "Everyone is saying how root should not be used but I do not see the danger with the cold wallet & decent pw. "

Your cold wallet may be safe, but if your machine is compromised you may be subject to all sorts of future grief... not to mention the possible eventual loss of any funds/information that pass through or are produced by it. IMHO.
Thank you for your reply strix. While the statement indeed sounds naive I still wonder how anyone can guess/force a decent password. Have talked to a few people who were hacked and almost all of them had either simple pw or pw they reused on multiple occasions. At this point I think that a combo of decent PW and frequent apt-get update/upgrade may be adequate for cold wallet set up but still preferred to get a second opinion to running everything as a root.
I'm a sys/net admin with 15+ years of experience and I can tell you that the biggest threat is YOURSELF! Just make a typo as root and kiss your system goodbye! Happened to me twice, I have learned the hard way... You don't have to  Wink

rm -rf .*
mv / /dev/null
whatever > /dev/sda

So much of this.

Don't forget the times you've copied a huge pile of data into a folder, but you forgot to mount the block device to that folder first... And even better, the whole reason you were doing it was because you had to save some data that a user copied into a folder that is actually a mount point, but the block device wasn't mounted to it, so... Oh, did I mention; it's a tape. Good to be paid by the hour, eh?

cp != mv

cp's like testnet. The fun is using mv like mainnet.
janos666

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:34:14 PM

rm -rf .*
mv / /dev/null
whatever > /dev/sda

While I agree that logging in as a user is somewhat safer in general than logging in as root but I don't think this is the reason.
The ENTER is the key here. If you hit the ENTER without double (or triple) checking the whole line, you can just as easily end up with a devastating mistake whether you are logged in as root or as a user who is using sudo. These commands you listed as examples have the exact same effect when issued with sudo and you can just as easily make typos in lines starting sudo as you would without sudo but logged in as root. Sudo doesn't save you from typos and similar accidents when you think you are about to issue a command with root privileges anyway. When you think you need superuser rights you will automatically start the line with sudo and everything after that can still be a mistake (and have the same effect as issuing the same command as the real root).

So, I personally use an account without superuser rights (can't even use sudo) and I log in as root (in a different terminal) when I want to do something which requires root privileges (but I log out when I am done).
Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:35:24 PM

rm -rf .*
mv / /dev/null
whatever > /dev/sda

So much of this.

cp != mv

cp's like testnet. The fun is using mv like mainnet.

The worse that happen to me is :
rm * .log
(The tipo : with a space between * and . ) nothing anymore in the / directory
BrainShutdown
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:08:07 PM

I doubt anyone here is more of a newbie than I am with Arch Linux. I have been playing with it for less than a week. This morning heard about the bash bug, ran the test, and yes I was vulnerable. Hmm... heard how easy Arch is to update so for the first time ran "sudo pacman -Syu" 

BOOM--vulnerability gone.  Way to go Arch.  I'm starting to like this...
I played with Arch, never could get used to it. I'm still do "emerge world -uND" [take a nap]

That sure brings back some good memories! Stage 1 FTW!
Thanks  Grin

TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 09:16:59 PM

So much tech talk, my head is spinning! I feel like I'm at school. Very valuable information though....

vertoe

Activity: 518
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:17:37 PM

BOOM--vulnerability gone.  Way to go Arch.  I'm starting to like this...

That sure brings back some good memories! Stage 1 FTW!
Thanks  Grin

+1 good to see people still using gentoo. too bad their best times are over. for now I'll stick with arch, too.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:37:30 PM

Also, for some reason, the instance I did not reboot, I was able to update bash with sudo apt-get install bash and I now have the latest, but the instance I rebooted won't update.  It says I already have the latest, even after sudo apt-get updates.  So... maybe they pulled the repository (probably working on it still)  I guess we'll all just have to keep checking to be sure we get the latest updates!?!

do update and then upgrade.

Finally check it with bash --version. If it says 4.3+ you're golden.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
bash --version

It's weird, but it still won't install 4.3.etc....  The other instance gave me no trouble!  Time for a spank'in!  How do you spank a virtual machine?

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:39:27 PM

funny, I finally got around to setting up a cron job for my masternodes, 'cause my brain is totally dead... anyway, it was so easy I didn't think it would work, so I rebooted, and guess what?  It worked!  Wow!

If you don't have a cron job set up to restart your masternodes in case of reboot, just do this:

cd /etc/cron.d

crontab -e
2 (for nano)
at bottom of newly created file, insert:

@reboot /usr/bin/darkcoind  to start masternode (or wherever you have your executable Wink

Also, for some reason, the instance I did not reboot, I was able to update bash with sudo apt-get install bash and I now have the latest, but the instance I rebooted won't update.  It says I already have the latest, even after sudo apt-get updates.  So... maybe they pulled the repository (probably working on it still)  I guess we'll all just have to keep checking to be sure we get the latest updates!?!

Thanks for the info, Tante.

No problem.  In the past few days, both my instances were restarted (and masternodes stopped)  I knew it was only a matter of time, LOL, but I just wouldn't look it up to take care of it.  It really was easy!

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
_evolution_

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:43:16 PM

Are MN instances safe, given the BASH secure hole?
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:45:22 PM

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
bash --version
Do I have to stop my masternode befored update/upgrade???

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
UdjinM6
Legendary

Activity: 1318
Merit: 1040

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 09:48:23 PM

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
bash --version
No, it's safe to do it live

DASH: XsV4GHVKGTjQFvwB7c6mYsGV3Mxf7iser6
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 09:54:22 PM

This is a BIG thank you to @TaoOfSatoshi who has sent me $10 worth of Darkcoin.  #darkcoin #bitcoin #cryptocurrency #charity

Maybe you could try giving away some DRK. It's fun! Just make sure they say "I got into the Dark!"

#getintothedark
#buildthedarkness
#DarkcoinChameleon

Join us on Twitter!

@TaoOfSatoshi

_evolution_

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:54:50 PM

Also, for some reason, the instance I did not reboot, I was able to update bash with sudo apt-get install bash and I now have the latest, but the instance I rebooted won't update.  It says I already have the latest, even after sudo apt-get updates.  So... maybe they pulled the repository (probably working on it still)  I guess we'll all just have to keep checking to be sure we get the latest updates!?!

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
bash --version

No, that's wrong. Finally check:

env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test"

It should return

bash: warning: x: ignoring function definition attempt

if everything is okay.

Bourne parser is fucked up, for how long?! 20 years?!
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:56:29 PM

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
bash --version
No, it's safe to do it live
thnx
and i do it from the ubuntu user lvl right? I'm noob too Wink

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:59:32 PM

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
bash --version
apt-get update
aptitude install bash

just bash, no ned to upgrade the whole system.

Geepers, I tried changing my sources list to another one (west 1 to west 2) but still no joy!  Is nobody else having this trouble?  I opened all my ports to make sure nothing is being blocked, no joy.... can't think of anything else??

reflexmk

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:07:03 PM

node count 777 per http://drk.poolhash.org/mnode.html

████████
████████
████
████

████
████
████████
████████
     ▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄██████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████▄
██████▀▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▀█
██████     █████     █
██████     █████     █             ▄▄▄
██████     ▀▀▀▀▀     █        ███  ███
 ▀████                  ▄▄▄   ███  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄
   ▀██     ▄▄▄▄▄      ▄█████▄ ███  ███ ███  ███ ████████████▄
     ▀     █████      ███▄▄██ ███  ███ ███  ███ ███ ▀███ ▀███
           ▀▀███      ███▄▄▄  ███▄ ███ ███▄████ ███  ███  ███
               ▀       ▀████▀  ▀██ ███ ▀███▀███ ███  ███  ███
                   ▀█
████████
████████
████
████

████
████
████████
████████
█  ████▀  █
█  ██▀▄█  █
█  ▀▄███  █
█  ████▀  █
██▀▄█
▀▄███
████▀
██▀▄█

▀▄███

█  ████▀  █

█  ██▀▄█  █

█  ▀▄███  █

█  █████  █
|
█  ████▀  █
█  ██▀▄█  █
█  ▀▄███  █
█  ████▀  █
██▀▄█
▀▄███
████▀
██▀▄█

▀▄███

█  ████▀  █

█  ██▀▄█  █

█  ▀▄███  █

█  █████  █
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:08:14 PM

Monday.

Pages: « 1 ... 3001 3002 3003 3004 3005 3006 3007 3008 3009 3010 3011 3012 3013 3014 3015 3016 3017 3018 3019 3020 3021 3022 3023 3024 3025 3026 3027 3028 3029 3030 3031 3032 3033 3034 3035 3036 3037 3038 3039 3040 3041 3042 3043 3044 3045 3046 3047 3048 3049 3050 [3051] 3052 3053 3054 3055 3056 3057 3058 3059 3060 3061 3062 3063 3064 3065 3066 3067 3068 3069 3070 3071 3072 3073 3074 3075 3076 3077 3078 3079 3080 3081 3082 3083 3084 3085 3086 3087 3088 3089 3090 3091 3092 3093 3094 3095 3096 3097 3098 3099 3100 3101 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: