Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:09:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3621 3622 3623 3624 3625 3626 3627 3628 3629 3630 3631 3632 3633 3634 3635 3636 3637 3638 3639 3640 3641 3642 3643 3644 3645 3646 3647 3648 3649 3650 3651 3652 3653 3654 3655 3656 3657 3658 3659 3660 3661 3662 3663 3664 3665 3666 3667 3668 3669 3670 [3671] 3672 3673 3674 3675 3676 3677 3678 3679 3680 3681 3682 3683 3684 3685 3686 3687 3688 3689 3690 3691 3692 3693 3694 3695 3696 3697 3698 3699 3700 3701 3702 3703 3704 3705 3706 3707 3708 3709 3710 3711 3712 3713 3714 3715 3716 3717 3718 3719 3720 3721 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722503 times)
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:12:31 PM

So last night my husband was telling me about how the Federal Reserve was created.  What a story!  I just googled it, and if anyone is interested, here it is:
http://www.jekyllislandhistory.com/federalreserve.shtml

It was formed so that they could control the economy and keep the ups and downs under control, LOL.  They've done a great job since 1907, don't you think?  Grin  Cheesy  Grin
The kicker is most people know nothing of the fed or how it was created or how it's not even a federal entity, it's privately owned by a board of elite bankers. The sad thing is even if most people knew they wouldn't care as long as their dollar still buys what they need/want. Change will only come when inflation dilutes the buying power to such a point that most won't be able to survive. In the states it seems that is becoming a reality daily.  

I completely agree.  It's the only thing good about being broke.  We have nothing to lose, or at least not much, LOL.  I don't worry about the crash of the dollar, though I should for my parent's sake, as that's all they have.  Especially in retirement.  But I'm pretty sure it'll last long enough for them.  At least I hope so.  I no longer delude myself into thinking I might see any of my retirement money Sad

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to get Amazon to sell their books for Darkcoin or Bitcoin, LOL.  I'm so excited, we're going to put my hubbie's book, really a family project, up for sale on Amazon soon.  I must say I really wish we could sell it for crypto, but they don't do it yet Sad

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DavidR

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:14:36 PM

I'm no programming expert but was wondering, would it be possible for the Darkcoin clones like Spreadcoin that use masternodes to have DRK masternodes mix for them and vice versa for an extra layer of anonymity?
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:15:38 PM

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to get Amazon to sell their books for Darkcoin or Bitcoin, LOL.  I'm so excited, we're going to put my hubbie's book, really a family project, up for sale on Amazon soon.  I must say I really wish we could sell it for crypto, but they don't do it yet Sad

Can you sell it independently as well or do Amazon want exclusive retail rights?
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:20:15 PM

I'm no programming expert but was wondering, would it be possible for the Darkcoin clones like Spreadcoin that use masternodes to have DRK masternodes mix for them and vice versa for an extra layer of anonymity?

I don't know about that, but I think there's room for some synergy between the two coins, if only being able to run both kinds of MN on the same server, specs permitting, with no extra cost.  Smiley
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 07:12:01 PM

Are you into the Dark, and speak a language other than English? Would you be good at translating official announcements?

Join DARKCOIN WORLDWIDE!

https://twitter.com/TaoOfSatoshi/status/543489662560378880?s=09

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/darkcoin-worldwide.3214/

Serious Volunteers only!

You can count on me as a volunteer for the necessary (Brazilian) Portuguese translations.

It's an honour for me to help the Darkcoin community.

OK, I will add you when I'm done with my THIS WEEK IN THE DARK blitz...

TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 07:13:49 PM

THIS WEEK IN THE DARK | December 7th - 13th

is posted for your your viewing pleasure!

https://www.rebelmouse.com/GetIntoTheDark/this-week-in-the-dark-december-864387483.html

Cheers,

Tao

DavidR

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:24:46 PM

I don't know about that, but I think there's room for some synergy between the two coins, if only being able to run both kinds of MN on the same server, specs permitting, with no extra cost.  Smiley
If something needs to change with the code to make this happen, please let the Spreadcoin dev know.

I have five DRK masternodes and would love to have 5 SPR masternodes without having to pay more for hosting.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:37:19 PM

Acquisitions have to come from capital. Everyone in crypto should agree that generating a super block of coins is out of question.
Why?

Creating additional shares in a business is very common practice.  And if done properly and used in a beneficial manner, investors are ok with share dilution because they understand it will lead to greater value of their existing shares.

Now, if you were acquiring a coin, what you care most about is the developer(s).  As such, you would set very strict vesting intervals to ensure that the dev continued to work on the coin and reach set goals. 

Creating shares and currency are two very different things. One is equity, one is capital. Sure, if you are treating Darkcoin as an investment, then I could see your logic, but at its core, it's currency/commodity and creating something from nothing sets poor precedence. People that understand crypto enjoy the fact that reward structure shouldn't be changing at a whim. Having the kind of centralization aspect of deciding "oh hey, we should absorb this coin by creating 1 million new coins" is ridiculous. It completely changes what crypto stands for. I wasn't against the idea of the SDC merger, I was against the idea of changing the reward structure via superblock. It's completely off the table, regardless of opportunity, to issue new coins. I was against the airdrop back in March/April as well.

You make good points and I am enjoying the debate.

The problem I see and the mistake that most people in cryptocurrency circles make, is thinking of these coins as pure currency like dollars.  Instead of dollars, you want Darkcoin.  Instead of the Federal Reserve, you want the free market. 

With dollars, there is an entity that says, "THIS is the means of exchange" and there hasn't been any real competition for hundreds of years.  With cryptocurrency, there is new competition every single day.  At some point developers of a coin may say, "We're done except for critical bug fixes" but we've begun a new era of currency/economic exchange.  Technology is progressing at an ever-increasing rate and that top 10 coin that is "Done" today will be nothing in 3, 5, or 10 years because technological innovations will make it obsolete and new coins will take over.  In order for a coin to continue to dominate, it will have to adapt to changing technology, economic situations, and governmental regulation (not saying they have to comply with regulations of course but it will affect cryptocurrencies).

In order to compete, a coin needs top developers who are creative innovators, strong business acumen, and a militant community of supporters.  Because of the low burden of entry and enormous potential reward in cryptocurrency, many good developers who enter the field are going to want to start their own coin which will lead to brain dilution.  Through the strategic use of acquisition, those developers can be brought under a single umbrella.  Without it, a coin WILL be passed sooner or later.  Look at the number of developers behind Ripple and the kind of people in charge there.  As more money pours into cryptocurrency and it becomes a bigger industry, there WILL be business seasoned/hardened executives leading coin development initiatives.  And I guarantee you they will be doing strategic acquisitions and the big money investors/hedge fund types will love it.  Taking the means to acquire coins off the table would be an enormous mistake.

There's a reason companies like Google and Apple buy up tons of small companies each year.  Occasionally it's for the technology, but the vast majority of the time it's for the developers.  If either company stopped and said, "We're done" they understand that, despite their positions today, with the way technology is advancing, they would be nothing within a short time.

No one is saying Darkcoin is finished and if anything, Evan and team keep innovating. There have already been numerous additions to the development team and it will only be a matter of time before more devs are brought on. There absolutely could be consolidation in the altcoin space and I believe it will happen. If venture capital or other forms get involved, that would be outside capital for purchases, not generating new coins to do so. The day a coin can change it's max supply or reward structure on a whim is the day it fails to do what crypto really stands for. That will also be the day that I exit my position in entirety. The beauty of open source technology is that anyone can take it, change it, and make something of their own. In a world where large corporations buy smaller companies (for talent, for technology, for branding, etc), there is something "behind closed doors" that the larger company is after. These smaller companies aren't putting out their trade secrets (i.e. open source) for anyone to use, hence why the larger company looks to acquire.

I guess what I am ultimately saying is, if Spread has capable devs and they actually want to be apart of something, they should do commits to Darkcoin's codebase. After all, they are implementing something Evan designed. Darkcoin already has the network and exposure to actually _do_ something. That's not to say Spread couldn't succeed on its own, I just question the chances of it actually happening. If the devs want to experiment, go for it and being that it is open source, any viable improvements could very well be implemented on Dark's end.

I'm glad that in the case of the airdrop for the instamine and the SDC merger, both were turned down largely by the community due to the dilution all Darkcoin holders would face as well as the principals behind changing max supply and reward structure on a whim.
MyFarm

Activity: 854

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:42:10 PM

The Spreadcoin dev is reviewing the Darkcoin code and just posted this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.msg9839488#msg9839488

Mr.spread,what's status of masternode and darksend developmnet?
It is far from ready yet but I think I found a potential vulnerability in DarkCoin which allows miners (actually pools) to not pay part of the block reward to masternodes.
DarkCoin wallet checks the following things for each new block:  
1) There is a payment to master node.
2) There is a payment with the same amount as a payment to master node should be (30%).
But there is no check that this is the same payment. This means that if you generate a block you can pay 0.0000001 DRK to masternode and pay 30% and (70% - 0.0000001 DRK) to yourself as separate coinbase outputs. Such blocks should be accepted by DarkCoin network but I haven't tested it on testnet so I can't be 100% sure.
I don't want any vulnerabilities out the wild so thought I'd check here.  This is what happens when "Enforcement" is off, right?  Or is this a separate issue and potential vulnerability?
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:43:34 PM

If something needs to change with the code to make this happen, please let the Spreadcoin dev know.

I have five DRK masternodes and would love to have 5 SPR masternodes without having to pay more for hosting.

I'm planning on it, my MNs currently are only maybe tight on RAM (512MB, currently averaging a bit under 200MB used but some builds have used a lot more in the past) but I can up that to 1GB each if needed at minimal cost, I've got plenty of CPU/bandwidth/disk space to run a SPR node on each one too, and you don't need another IP address as SRP uses a different port.
MyFarm

Activity: 854

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:49:31 PM

You say this:

The beauty of open source technology is that anyone can take it, change it, and make something of their own.

And then you say this:

I guess what I am ultimately saying is, if Spread has capable devs and they actually want to be apart of something, they should do commits to Darkcoin's codebase.

If great devs aren't compensated for their time (and great devs should be making 6-7 figures a year) or they don't already have a large position in a coin, the chances they are going to work on a coin for nothing or next to nothing are very low.  

If venture capital or other forms get involved, that would be outside capital for purchases, not generating new coins to do so. The day a coin can change it's max supply or reward structure on a whim is the day it fails to do what crypto really stands for

If venture capital gets involved in an established coin, they're going to want a supercoin generated so they can get coins in return for that investment.
whisper

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

Learn to go against your mind

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:56:55 PM

https://vertcoin.org/wp/breaking-news-potential-exploit-found-in-scrypt-nx11/
UdjinM6
Legendary

Activity: 1318
Merit: 1040

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 08:13:50 PM

Not a breaking news at all  Wink
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/x11-possible-nonce-vulnerability.3226/
2%-3% for Darkcoin against 90% for Vertcoin

DASH: XsV4GHVKGTjQFvwB7c6mYsGV3Mxf7iser6
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 08:16:14 PM

This was already confirmed not to be true by Darkcoin developer UdjinM6 yesterday.  It is of very bad taste for vertcoin to post something like that on their official blog without verifying a rumor. Check this below.

Quote from: UdjinM6, post: 33470, member: 811
did a check for the last 50K blocks
http://pastebin.com/zeUSNLN6
~2% for Darkcoin
EDIT: for anyone interested, here is fixed code (using correct port/library)
<?php
// this code uses EasyBitcoin a PHP Wrapper API for the JSON RPC interface
require_once('easybitcoin.php');
$coin = new Bitcoin('darkcoind','password','localhost','9998');
$blockCount $coin->getblockcount();
$blockHistory = array();
$i 0;
for(
$blockID=$blockCount$blockID>$blockCount-50000$blockID--) {

// get block hash

$blockHash $coin->getblockhash($blockID);

// get block

$block $coin->getblock($blockHash);

$blockHistory[$blockID] = $block["nonce"];
}
file_put_contents(dirname(__FILE__) . "/nonce2.json",json_encode($blockHistory));
?>
<?php
$nonceDB 
json_decode(file_get_contents(dirname(__FILE__) . "/nonce2.json"),true);
$groups3 = array();
foreach(
$nonceDB as $height => $nonce) {

$val $nonce 256;
    if (!isset(
$groups3[$val])) $groups3[$val] = 0;

$groups3[$val]++;
}
asort($groups3);
print_r($groups3);
?>
you'll need this also
Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/aceat64/EasyBitcoin-PHP/master/easybitcoin.php
and curl lib for php
Code:
sudo apt-get install php5-curl
neutraLTC
Legendary

Activity: 1492
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 08:20:14 PM

Awesome new article, i'm really feeling this community and coin. Good job Darkcoin

DEMAND STRATUMV2 MINING POOL: DMND.WORK
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 08:22:59 PM

The Spreadcoin dev is reviewing the Darkcoin code and just posted this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.msg9839488#msg9839488

Mr.spread,what's status of masternode and darksend developmnet?
It is far from ready yet but I think I found a potential vulnerability in DarkCoin which allows miners (actually pools) to not pay part of the block reward to masternodes.
DarkCoin wallet checks the following things for each new block:  
1) There is a payment to master node.
2) There is a payment with the same amount as a payment to master node should be (30%).
But there is no check that this is the same payment. This means that if you generate a block you can pay 0.0000001 DRK to masternode and pay 30% and (70% - 0.0000001 DRK) to yourself as separate coinbase outputs. Such blocks should be accepted by DarkCoin network but I haven't tested it on testnet so I can't be 100% sure.
I don't want any vulnerabilities out the wild so thought I'd check here.  This is what happens when "Enforcement" is off, right?  Or is this a separate issue and potential vulnerability?

(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.1260)

can we clear this one up too please ? is this just part of the spork methode of upgrading ? (and therefore working as intended?)

thanks

qwizzie

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
vertoe

Activity: 518
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 08:32:02 PM

Welcome our new core developer, Vertoe!

Vertoe (AKA “vertoe”) is an acadamic grade software engineer fallen in
love with C/C++. She is working as a freelance programmer for a well
known NGO in the area of netactivism and recently started backporting
upstream features to enable a modern Darkcoin Core reference implementation.

https://www.darkcoin.io/about/team-contact/

AWESOME, thanks for joining vertoe!  I didn't know if you were a girl or just had a pretty girl's face as an avatar!  If that's you, wow, you may have to be our official spokeswoman!  Can't let such beauty go unused!  LOL.  Seriously, though, you're beautiful anyway, whatever your looks Wink

Edit: silly me, I was thinking of crowning's avatar, LOL.  Hey!  She's also female!  We girls need to get together!

Ah, gender obfuscation, the best anonymity possible, LOL  Still, I'd like to know I'm not the only girl around (OK, I'm too old for girl, but still, you know what I mean, LOL)

Lovely post Tante! Cheesy

flare visited me today and we did some pics infront of my Zuse Z3. I'm even more beautiful than crownings avatar! I'll keep you posted.
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 08:57:56 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2014, 09:25:29 PM by TaoOfSaatoshi

A Darkcoin Chameleon exclusive:

SendChat (SendChat.org) interested in Darkcoin!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=880647.0

More deets to follow....

oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 08:59:35 PM

You say this:

The beauty of open source technology is that anyone can take it, change it, and make something of their own.

And then you say this:

I guess what I am ultimately saying is, if Spread has capable devs and they actually want to be apart of something, they should do commits to Darkcoin's codebase.

If great devs aren't compensated for their time (and great devs should be making 6-7 figures a year) or they don't already have a large position in a coin, the chances they are going to work on a coin for nothing or next to nothing are very low.  

If venture capital or other forms get involved, that would be outside capital for purchases, not generating new coins to do so. The day a coin can change it's max supply or reward structure on a whim is the day it fails to do what crypto really stands for

If venture capital gets involved in an established coin, they're going to want a supercoin generated so they can get coins in return for that investment.

There is no issue with first part contradicting the second. They can, by all means, venture off and create their own coin based on the open source code of any coin out there. What I saying though, is their contributions would be better served on an already established coin--one that is already known for its innovation. What good is trying to do something on your own when your contributions would be seen by a far larger audience in an already established coin with a large network, both in terms of hash and masternodes. As for paid devs, there are plenty that do work on open source for nothing--look at all coders on various linux distros or more mainstream software. It would be nice to pay the devs, but to automatically assume that a coder who believes in an idea wouldn't do it for free is absurd. Yes, paying for work will get work done faster, but there are coders out there that contribute regularly to open source projects without payment. Sometimes recognition for contributions is enough for them.

As for the venture cap, lol. It's far more likely that venture cap follows down the pathway of ideas and business that deal with cryptocurrency vs taking a position (or releasing one) themselves. Hedge funds and niche investment syndicates can invest in crypto outright, but they aren't expecting the dev to generate them a superblock for return... they would make their ROI off the appreciation of the coin.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 09:43:30 PM

Can you sell it independently as well or do Amazon want exclusive retail rights?

I'm still reading the fine print, I think it's covered in that it can't be sold anywhere else, I think that includes any type of $... I hold out hope for a loop hole, LOL

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
Pages: « 1 ... 3621 3622 3623 3624 3625 3626 3627 3628 3629 3630 3631 3632 3633 3634 3635 3636 3637 3638 3639 3640 3641 3642 3643 3644 3645 3646 3647 3648 3649 3650 3651 3652 3653 3654 3655 3656 3657 3658 3659 3660 3661 3662 3663 3664 3665 3666 3667 3668 3669 3670 [3671] 3672 3673 3674 3675 3676 3677 3678 3679 3680 3681 3682 3683 3684 3685 3686 3687 3688 3689 3690 3691 3692 3693 3694 3695 3696 3697 3698 3699 3700 3701 3702 3703 3704 3705 3706 3707 3708 3709 3710 3711 3712 3713 3714 3715 3716 3717 3718 3719 3720 3721 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: