Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:11:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MultiBit  (Read 336102 times)
f3tus

Activity: 317
Merit: 275

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:33:17 AM

The old one will import correctly, but will not contain the new private keys (obviously). Only then will you lose your coins, but only if you are not careful.
You mean receiving addresses, right?

Ok, I get it now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 06:41:45 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2014, 06:59:25 PM by prof7bit

The old one will import correctly, but will not contain the new private keys (obviously). Only then will you lose your coins, but only if you are not careful.
You mean receiving addresses, right?
For every address there will be a private key (safely stored inside the wallet file, you usually don't need to see the keys, you just need to know that they are there and that you should have backups to avoid losing them). Every Bitcoin address is derived from its own private key, if you have the key you can calculate the address from it (thats the reason why the .key file only contains keys and does not also the corresponding addresses, the addresses can be easily generated from the keys when you import it again).

You cannot generate a key from the address, if you lose a key then you lose access to the bitcoins that are lying at that particular address. If you make backups of the .wallet (or of the .key files) you can't lose your keys. Please always password protect your wallet and the key export files.

You can safely replace every occurrence of "generate a new address" with "generate a new key" and vice versa, it means the same thing. Under the hood a new key is generated (and stored in the wallet file) and from this its corresponding address is calculated and shown to you so you can use it to receive coins. You never see the key itself displayed in the user interface because you don't actually have any use from looking at it, only the wallet app needs it under the hood for its calculations when signing a bitcoin transaction.

f3tus

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:33:12 AM

Ah, thanks for explaining!
hoop
Legendary

Activity: 1523
Merit: 1001

NOBT - WNOBT your saving bank◕◡◕

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 08:43:19 AM

Hello,

I use Multibit 0.5.18 for a time.today not connecting,no sync.
thank you in advance

██████████  ██████████▄▄
         █████████████  ██████████████▄▄
   ▄███  █████▄                  ▀▀███████▄
  ██████   ▀█████▄          ████     ▀▀█████
 █████        ▀█████▄       ████        █████
 ████            ▀████      ████         ████
 ████         ██▄   ▀█  ██▄ ████         ████
 ████▌        █████▄    ████████        ▐████
 ▐████        ████████    ▀█████        ████▌
  █████       ████ ▀██  █▄   ▀██       █████
   █████      ████      ████▄         █████
    █████▄    ████       ▀█████▄    ▄█████
     ▀█████▄  ████          ▀█████▄   ██▀
       ▀█████▄                 ▀█████
         ▀██████▄▄          ▄▄██████▀
            ▀▀████████  ████████▀▀
                ▀▀████  ████▀▀
Take care of your financial privacy
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
A blockchain loyalty scheme and more
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

███████████████
███          ██████████████████
████████████████████████████████
███                          ███
███             ██           ███
███       ██   ██   ██       ███
███      ██    ██    ██      ███
███       ██  ██    ██       ███
████████████████████████████████

████    ████
       █████████ ████████

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████
██████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████ ██    █████
██████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████

▄█████▄
      ▄█████████
     ████    ███▌
    ███       ██▌
   ▐██ ███  ████
   ▄███████████
  ███████████▀
 ████  ███ ██▌
▐██       ███
▐███    ████
 █████████▀
  ▀█████▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
ANN         Discord
Twitter    Telegram
Nobt-plataform
id10tothe9

Activity: 623

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:22:19 AM

Hello,

I use Multibit 0.5.18 for a time.today not connecting,no sync.
thank you in advance

same problem for me, had it in 0.5.18, upgraded now but still same.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
superbituk

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 10:59:41 PM

Nice client. Donated
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 06:28:06 AM

Thanks !

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:04:55 PM

Hey, Im using 5.14 on my mac, Im missing 5btc. when I put my addresses on the blockchain as watch only, they showed up, and i looked at each address and the missing 5 also shows up there. Im nervous to upgrade it, should I just go ahead and do so? I have back up copies of the private keys, both in paper form and on a dongle. I noticed that multibits private addys dont start with a 5, so im assuming that I just can import them to blockchain..

Any help is appreciated... The missing 5 seemed to happen when the malleability issue was being talked about.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 07:58:23 PM

I recommend upgrading to 0.5.18 and then doing a reset blockchain.

There has been some work since 0.5.14 on the bloom filters and hence which tx are 'seen' so it is definitely work doing

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Monopoly

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:59:30 AM

The program is safe for use ?
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 10:28:07 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2014, 10:41:41 AM by jim618

The program is safe for use ?

A good way to answer your question is to look at the various risks involved in using MultiBit (or any other Bitcoin wallet) and seeing what is being done to avoid or remove them.

There are two main risks in using Bitcoin:

1) You lose access to your private keys and hence cannot spend your bitcoin as you wish. You can pretty much avoid this by backups. MultiBit needs to be backed up every time you create new receiving addresses.

A good backup plan is to keep copies of your wallets on two separate USB drives and keep them safe.

2) Someone steals your bitcoin. To do this they need to get your private keys. I recommend keeping your wallets encrypted always (except maybe for a 'pocket change' wallet). It's a big area this but the main things you can do to help is :
+ Always download MultiBit from https://multibit.org
+ Keep your computer clean of viruses and malware.

If you have large amounts of bitcoin then you want to consider an offline solution or multisig. MultiBit does not have offline signing yet (Trezor support is how we want to do this) so for offline signing you would want to use Electrum or Armory. For multisig there are a few wallets supporting this but you'd have to evaluate these for yourself.

sickhouse

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:52:09 PM

I can't withdraw less than 1 BTC?!

Turn off the news and read. Watch Psywar, learn something important about our society and PR, why and how it got started and how it brainwashes you.
allgoodthings1

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:37:24 PM

Not sure where this question comes from. But, yes, you can withdraw less than 1 btc from a MultiBit wallet.

The reference to 'pocket change wallet' is this: Some people don't like having to enter a wallet password every time they want to spend even small amounts of coin; so they set up a non-encrypted wallet, in which they keep just a small amount of coin just for such small transactions. If the wallet in non-encrypted, MultiBut won't ask them to enter a password to spend the money. But, of course, that small-change wallet is not secured by encryption.

Other folks might want to set up a non-encrypted 'canary wallet'. That's one with a tiny bit of unprotected coin in it -- on the premise that, if the security of their computer or backup system is breached by an attack, that wallet will be emptied most easily; and, by seeing that happen, one can check and correct how the breach occurred, thus protecting other files on the system.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-canary-in-a-coal-mine.htm

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
sickhouse

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:46:49 PM

Not sure where this question comes from. But, yes, you can withdraw less than 1 btc from a MultiBit wallet.

The reference to 'pocket change wallet' is this: Some people don't like having to enter a wallet password every time they want to spend even small amounts of coin; so they set up a non-encrypted wallet, in which they keep just a small amount of coin just for such small transactions. If the wallet in non-encrypted, MultiBut won't ask them to enter a password to spend the money. But, of course, that small-change wallet is not secured by encryption.

Other folks might want to set up a non-encrypted 'canary wallet'. That's one with a tiny bit of unprotected coin in it -- on the premise that, if the security of their computer or backup system is breached by an attack, that wallet will be emptied most easily; and, by seeing that happen, one can check and correct how the breach occurred, thus protecting other files on the system.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-canary-in-a-coal-mine.htm
I get error message while trying. Reinstalling,

Turn off the news and read. Watch Psywar, learn something important about our society and PR, why and how it got started and how it brainwashes you.
sickhouse

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:26:05 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2014, 06:46:53 PM by sickhouse

f3tus

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:28:48 PM

Try a comma (,) instead of a dot (.).

It's probably because your system treats the comma as a decimal separator, not the dot.
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 08:04:11 PM

Nice job hiding the address!
(You just forgot the QR code :p)

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 03:16:32 PM

Scammers are now targeting MultiBit (?) and Blockchain.info - if you received the same or similar email do not click on any links in it, just delete email.

"Bitcoin MultiBit Service Yes Situation in this moment
Since our last update situation yes in this moment on our servers, we worried about the size of wallets. And many of these wallets are no funds, no movement and no logins.
Because to avoid future problems with our servers, we are requesting that all users wishing to continue with their wallets to make a brief confirmation activation.
If you want to continue using your account on Blockchain, please click the link below and confirm your wallet:
(link goes here)
If within 64 hours we do not receive your confirmation, your wallet will be erased and all their bitcoins will be reset."

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 08:08:36 PM

Thanks for that heads up about that scam email subSTRATA.

fonix232

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:54:42 PM

Hey jim618,

Great work on the app! My favourite client to drag around on an encrypted USB drive Wink
However, I have one teeny tiny thing that's been promised to be looked at, multiple times, in the past ~2 years. SOCKSv5 proxy.

I'm using Tails as a daily OS, and MultiBit refuses to connect. But I can't set the proxy either. Previously, the main reason of not-yet-implemented status was that Bitcoinj did not support SOCKS proxy, only HTTP - recently, this changed, see here: https://bitcoinj.github.io/networking

Could we please have some proxy goodness in the close future? Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  

Jump to: