Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:46:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB  (Read 1061063 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
wizkid057 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 01, 2019, 03:18:58 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2019, 03:45:02 PM by wizkid057

Things are back up and running.

So, I'm admittedly unsure what direction to take this at this point.  My real life is, well, kind of hellish right now... I'd greatly prefer not to get into the details publicly.  Suffice it to say I've been blindsided on several fronts from close people I trusted, and picking up the pieces of that is taking a significant effort both mentally and financially.

Long story short, I don't think I'll have time in the near future to complete my work on Eligius-Hu's front end.  The backend is basically done, though, and running.  So if the pool finds a block, people get paid and such.

Pool is still running, working, etc... and I can host the servers pretty much indefinitely without issue.  Just a matter of completing all the front end stuff.

Admittedly, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it or not at this point.  Is there demand for such a pool still?  Looking at the current mining landscape, my guess would be no... but I could be wrong.

Thoughts appreciated.

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6209

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2019, 10:46:50 PM
Merited by BayAreaCoins (2)

Seriously, if you are having life issues at the moment I would let Eligius go.
It's sad and it sucks, but I'm sure you don't need more crap going on.
Do you really want to have to deal with a payout issue or a front end issue or.....whatever on top of whatever is going on in your life?
Mining has changed a lot over the last couple of years and will probably change again. You can always come back.

Don't add stress that you don't need.

Hope everything gets better with whatever is going on.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Gws24

Activity: 537
Merit: 524

View Profile
September 02, 2019, 01:03:56 PM

Basically everything what DaveF said!

If you do decide to keep it alive then at least put up a simple front-end so people can see what's going on (hashrate pool etc). Right now people are just guessing.
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
September 03, 2019, 05:10:40 PM

So, I'm admittedly unsure what direction to take this at this point.  My real life is, well, kind of hellish right now... I'd greatly prefer not to get into the details publicly.  Suffice it to say I've been blindsided on several fronts from close people I trusted, and picking up the pieces of that is taking a significant effort both mentally and financially.

Long story short, I don't think I'll have time in the near future to complete my work on Eligius-Hu's front end.  The backend is basically done, though, and running.  So if the pool finds a block, people get paid and such.

Pool is still running, working, etc... and I can host the servers pretty much indefinitely without issue.  Just a matter of completing all the front end stuff.

Admittedly, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it or not at this point.  Is there demand for such a pool still?  Looking at the current mining landscape, my guess would be no... but I could be wrong.

Thoughts appreciated.

+1 thank you for your hard work!  Cool  ~keep your spirits up we will still be here :-D #cheerzzz

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
DaveF
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2019, 11:35:17 PM

Sigh.....It's working on an old block again.
Luke can you ping out to WK again?

I really think it's time to call it quits on this. I'm pulling eligius out of my backup pool rotation.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
wizkid057 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 12, 2019, 02:44:47 PM

Fixed.  A drive failure on the full node machine for the pool ended up causing degradation that dropped the array to read-only mode for recovery safety.

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)
DaveF
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2019, 03:01:44 PM

Fixed.  A drive failure on the full node machine for the pool ended up causing degradation that dropped the array to read-only mode for recovery safety.

Cool. Thanks for fixing it. I know you are stressed and busy with life but, you might want to put up a basic stats page even if only does a refresh once an hour or something.
Just the basic, time & date of update / node is on this block / this much hashrate

This way we at least know what the pool thinks and if there is an issue it does not linger for a week.

Seriously, I had you as a backup pool and when my router blew and I replaced it my miners did not fail back. I have had this before and all I have to do is reboot my proxy.
But I was busy so I didn't do it for a while because "what the heck eligius might find a block"

So all I did was burn electricity for no reason.....

And before everyone says it, yeah I know I should fail to a PPS pool that way I don't have to worry about ramp up or down or any other thing. I get paid for the shares and move back to the main pool whenever. I have mined at eligius for years and figured what the heck, lets keep it as a backup.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Pyrojason
Copper Member

Activity: 174
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 04:56:55 AM

Thoughts appreciated.

WK, good to hear you're still moving forward. Sorry to hear about the troubles.

As others have mentioned, if you have a simple front end it would make a solid start for people to have yet another pool option.
Be well.
btcrealm

Activity: 62
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 19, 2020, 07:52:25 PM

Thoughts appreciated.

Hi wizkid057, glad to see your still alive and kicking.  Sorry to hear the real life problems continue : (

I think many of us would love to see Eligius come back to life and would jump back.  Honestly though you would get all of us hobbyists that won't let the old mining times go and maybe some of the more serious miners.  I check back in every few months (clearly I'm posting this now on October posts) to see if you are still around.  If its still a hobby/interest for you then I'd say when you get a chance bring it back!  There are those of us that will come back.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2021, 05:03:15 PM

Going through my coin collection I have a Casascius Bearer Bar where way back in the early days I mined directly onto with Eligius. It was the only pool I knew of that would distribute the coins directly from the block without routing them through the pool’s address first. So the Casascius Bar has quite a nice transaction history when you look up the address. All clean new bitcoin.
WK, I just want to thank you for all the hard work you did on Eligius. I will always consider it the best pool.
Thanks dude.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2228

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
February 09, 2021, 07:39:32 PM

Yep, that and p2pool were the way to go. And given that other pools "vanished" along the way *grumble* with coin balances it was nice to get paid for work done.

Miss it, slush is a fine pool, just isn't quite the same.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 09, 2021, 11:18:07 PM

Yep, that and p2pool were the way to go. And given that other pools "vanished" along the way *grumble* with coin balances it was nice to get paid for work done.

Slush skips block transaction verification and mines empty blocks.

As for coinbase payout: you still have to wait the full 101 confirms (over 16hrs) - a pool that sends the payout at that point may only add a few more confirms (less than an hour) or even only one confirm (average 10 minutes)
But ... some new miners don't support it since it's a MUCH bigger coinbase transaction
obviously that also means a much larger work size being sent from the pool to the miner.
Block distribution is now highly optimised - but it can never optimise the coinbase transaction since it will ALWAYS be an unknown transaction that needs to be sent with the block header, thus if you make it large, you're slowing down the block distribution.
Also, as is very well known, this pool had a very high orphan rate - around 3% compared to around 1% for most pools back then.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2021, 02:54:41 PM

As for coinbase payout: you still have to wait the full 101 confirms (over 16hrs) - a pool that sends the payout at that point may only add a few more confirms (less than an hour) or even only one confirm (average 10 minutes)
But ... some new miners don't support it since it's a MUCH bigger coinbase transaction
obviously that also means a much larger work size being sent from the pool to the miner.
Block distribution is now highly optimised - but it can never optimise the coinbase transaction since it will ALWAYS be an unknown transaction that needs to be sent with the block header, thus if you make it large, you're slowing down the block distribution.
Also, as is very well known, this pool had a very high orphan rate - around 3% compared to around 1% for most pools back then.

The wait was never a big deal, but I've never thought about the block header, you are absolutely correct. Anyway it was nice to have the mining symbol in your core wallet, still own some unspent coinbase inputs  Grin

btcrealm

View Profile
February 27, 2021, 05:43:39 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2021, 09:40:21 AM by btcrealm

The wait was never a big deal, but I've never thought about the block header, you are absolutely correct. Anyway it was nice to have the mining symbol in your core wallet, still own some unspent coinbase inputs  Grin
Its been a long time since I've seen the mining symbol in my wallet.  I think deepbit was the only other pool I was on that did that.
btcrealm

View Profile
February 27, 2021, 05:46:39 AM

Newcomer to our years old thread?
http://prntscr.com/1085cho
Not sure anyone that has been around forever and would actually use the pool would report this.
skleven81

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 12:11:02 PM

What happened to this pool? I still have 0.8BTC in my wallet there.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 08:15:59 PM

The only thing I think Eligius stored was the concept of "shelved shares" which were banked during bad block runs and paid from on good block runs. Since it's gone, those shares are null. But they were never actual bitcoins.

Check around for the keys to the wallet you have eligius paying to. Your coins should be there if anywhere.

Now, PPS systems like Eclipse did vanish with people's bitcoins, I think I lost a bitpenny or two when that went bye bye. Annoying, they could have just paid out final balances to the wallet on record but no.....
skleven81

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 08:22:51 PM

It was a weird one. Your login was your bitcoin adress. So i guessed it was an adress generated by the site. Have a project finding loose ends from my time in mining. It`s hard.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2021, 04:02:24 AM

Look around for your wallet.dat files and whatnot. Yes that was it, the wallet address was your username but you generated that address yourself from your wallet addy.

I recently found a bitpenny in an old wallet, gotta check some others. It's like finding coins in your sofa, except they are $600 coins :-)
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2021, 07:36:26 PM

At this point, I have no idea. Was considering dropping some of the domains... they do add up. :/

I hear yeah.  I had around 600 at one point but raising two kids isn’t cheap.  I’m down to probably 150 but at least a dozen are worth Gold if I’m right about what’s to come.  I really only need a few to share with someone for recurring revenues since I plan to spend all I make in crypto.  Worked all my life and lived through real poverty and I can’t ever forget those images.  I have to help my family and kids.  Problem is software and me are like oil and water and my motivation has vanished. 

Maybe we’ll run into each other on the domain market one day.  Smiley

Vlad

PS - someone like me shouldn’t have more merits than someone like you.  That’s unjust and it angers me at the entire crypto community but especially selfish bitcoiners. 

Vlad

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
Pages: « 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: