Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:58:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB  (Read 1061122 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
kebabman

Activity: 655
Merit: 504

You wan chili saus?

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 08:59:49 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 03:54:55 AM by kebabman

It's on your stats page, it's the "Shares Rewarded" column in your current balance/estimated payout chart.

Estimated Change:   +0.00879411 BTC   -3.36%

Does this mean that 3.36% of my shares are shelved?

I believe that means it is estimated that 3.36% of your shelved shares will be paid in the current round if a block is found now. The other two rows show the actual shares rewarded for the last block and in total.
abdullahadam

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 09:06:31 PM

There we go.. block found.. now time to make up for the bad luck by finding tons of blocks Smiley
abdullahadam

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:37:05 PM

This backpay thing is very interesting. So at a high level,  when the round gets too long,  shares start being shelved?

On a short round ,  you get compensated for those shelved shares?

How is that different from simply making more on short rounds and making less on long rounds?
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784

Dream become broken often

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:07:22 PM

This backpay thing is very interesting. So at a high level,  when the round gets too long,  shares start being shelved?

How is that different from simply making more on short rounds and making less on long rounds?

the difference is if you was on another pool...all those shares on longer round wouldn't mean anything...you wouldn't even have a chance at getting anything for it...on here yes they might goto shelved, but there is a "chance" that maybe someday you'll get paid for those shares Smiley better then making them go poof

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
abdullahadam

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:13:03 PM

the difference is if you was on another pool...all those shares on longer round wouldn't mean anything...you wouldn't even have a chance at getting anything for it...on here yes they might goto shelved, but there is a "chance" that maybe someday you'll get paid for those shares Smiley better then making them go poof

Would you say that also means that, unlike another pool, instead of getting paid extra on a short round, you will get less on a short round, in order to payback the shelved shares?

crashoveride54902

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:04:53 AM

Would you say that also means that, unlike another pool, instead of getting paid extra on a short round, you will get less on a short round, in order to payback the shelved shares?

no cause you don't get paid any extra for a shorter round on any pool i know of...idk i could be wrong, maybe someone else smarter will know hehe or explain it better

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
abdullahadam

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:24:47 AM

no cause you don't get paid any extra for a shorter round on any pool i know of...idk i could be wrong, maybe someone else smarter will know hehe or explain it better

you wont get paid "extra", you will get paid your full share.  Whereas on this pool, the quick rounds will be used to pay off the long rounds

I'm not sure I really understand the difference to be honest
crashoveride54902

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:31:49 AM

you wont get paid "extra", you will get paid your full share.  Whereas on this pool, the quick rounds will be used to pay off the long rounds

I'm not sure I really understand the difference to be honest

oh no on short rounds you get paid the same, and whatever is left over extra goes to the shelved shares...i think

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:34:48 AM

On other pools, longer rounds pay you less per share, shorter rounds pay you more per share.  On Eligius, your per-share rate is capped (the C in CPPSRB) at 0% PPS, and anything extra from a block gets paid to shelved shares in order to help those previous work reach the 0% PPS rate.  In the long run, you're going to average the same either way.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
abdullahadam

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:35:33 AM

On other pools, longer rounds pay you less per share, shorter rounds pay you more per share.  On Eligius, your per-share rate is capped (the C in CPPSRB) at 0% PPS, and anything extra from a block gets paid to shelved shares in order to help those previous work reach the 0% PPS rate.  In the long run, you're going to average the same either way.

Thats what I thought. Thanks
sorry2xs
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Dark Passenger Bitcoin miner 2013,Bitcoin node

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:35:01 AM

any one having a problem login to stats page Cheesy

Please tip the Node 1MPWKB23NsZsXHANnFwVAWT86mL24fqAjF; KO4UX
THAT NO GOOD DO GOODER BAT!!!
abdullahadam

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:37:05 AM

any one having a problem login to stats page Cheesy

works for me
http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1KXcuUnuYBpRMw7igbppvhyUfnUDQAMmj
sorry2xs
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:47:22 AM

yes i tried yours and it log me in can you try mine ( 1LdYHxS3wCk6eCKiFuSrgrtWzQDEhngCqv)

crashoveride54902

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:54:23 AM

yes i tried yours and it log me in can you try mine ( 1LdYHxS3wCk6eCKiFuSrgrtWzQDEhngCqv)

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1LdYHxS3wCk6eCKiFuSrgrtWzQDEhngCqv work fine for me as well

abdullahadam

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:55:58 AM

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1LdYHxS3wCk6eCKiFuSrgrtWzQDEhngCqv work fine for me as well

lol its not mine its just a random one.  yes it works.
you can try from a proxy site like www.slaphappy.com and verify that way
sorry2xs
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:37:56 AM

thanks for the help, who ever it is its a long timer with 29 btc and its not donating to the cause Shocked

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:02:18 PM

the amount of time and effort that would be needed to eliminate the very few failsafes that do occur far outweighs the benefits of doing so at this time.

Exactly the opposite of what you want to hear from your pool operator.

I have no dog in this fight, just pointing out the "fail safes" have been the #1 complaint (next to delayed payouts, don't get me started on the 6 month no NMC payouts) for almost a year or more now? You'd think you'd personally want to fix this issue to better your pool, your supporters and miners (and to minimize the complaints!).. but evidently that is far from the case.

Again, nothing against wk or eligius- I've mined, donated etc. but have moved on to a more comfortable and less stressful pool. Happy mining all  Wink

There are 9.5 PH/s of hashpower here which doesn't seem to be too concerned about it.  I'm a drop in the pond, and I certainly do not consider this pool uncomfortable or stressful.  To each their own..

M

What you're failing to consider is how much hashpower is not there. You say 9.5, but who's to say the pool wouldn't be at 30 PHs if these "issues" were corrected or non-existent (Why do people use pools with fees? better service, etc. but then there's ghash). Speaking hypothetically of course. You're a drop in the pond, that's fine- I am not. How many of "me's" are there out there not mining on this pool because of this? I don't know, I have no clue. Like you said, to each their own and I've already said that myself, along with I have nothing against this pool or wk. I think I'm being biased because I'm not one to just "do enough to keep it going" when there's an obvious and clear voice of my clients/customers/miners  - for how cheesy it sounds, don't you want to be the "best" at what you do? (rhetorical) - I mean, I'm sure you listen to what people say about your AntMonitor and instead of you saying "nah, the effort isn't worth it" you maybe DO it anyway because you want to support your supports, right? That's all I'm saying and pointing out. I'm not going to stir this up anymore because I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to say. Either way, happy mining all  Wink

Point made.  However, remember that diversity is good for the bitcoin ecosystem.  If you don't like Eligius, there are other pools, and you still help keep bitcoin strong.  We certainly do not want all the hashpower here, or even close to it.

M

EDIT: Also, there is only so much time in the day.  Wizkid has to prioritize, just like I have to.  Some things just won't get done anytime soon because of time constraints.

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
wizkid057 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:59:25 PM

This particular not-actually-an-issue is not even limited by time or effort.

As I said, the failsafes have zero effect on a miner's earnings.  

I did go ahead and remove the warning on the stats regarding them. Then we had a short failsafe that same night due to a lingering stale block. Not a single person noticed. Not one email, no forum posts, no tickets.

Why? Because it doesn't actually matter to anyone except me since I'm the one that needs to correct the failsafe condition.  I honestly can not even recall why I put that message into the stats code in the first place.

So first, its not actually a problem. The system was designed this way for security and general sanity purposes.

Second, could it be designed so that there are even less failsafes or none at all? Probably. Am I going to take the time to do so any time soon? Nope. You're talking weeks of coding and even more testing just to "fix" something that isn't even broken. There are much more important things at Eligius for me to spend that kind of time on, whenever I get it.

As far as doing it just to "better the pool," that's nonsense also. As a matter of fact, if anything went wrong with the rewritten hypothetical failsafe-less code the results would probably kill the pool. The current code is tested extensively and has been in production mode for years now.

Starting from scratch really isn't an option right now unless you want to find and hire a small team of developers who are willing to write a new system and also pay me for the time needed to fully audit that code.

It just is not worth it.  Eligius is a zero fee pool run on donations and volunteer work... something that I think is one of its biggest advantages.  All of this with very few actual issues.

I so have plans to start rewriting some core code towards the end of the year when I should have more time to do so.  Eliminating security advantages is not high on the list.

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)
1Neptune

Activity: 241

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:58:07 AM

I did go ahead and remove the warning on the stats regarding them. Then we had a short failsafe that same night due to a lingering stale block. Not a single person noticed. Not one email, no forum posts, no tickets.

Why? Because it doesn't actually matter to anyone except me since I'm the one that needs to correct the failsafe condition.  I honestly can not even recall why I put that message into the stats code in the first place.

So first, its not actually a problem. The system was designed this way for security and general sanity purposes.

Second, could it be designed so that there are even less failsafes or none at all? Probably. Am I going to take the time to do so any time soon? Nope. You're talking weeks of coding and even more testing just to "fix" something that isn't even broken. There are much more important things at Eligius for me to spend that kind of time on, whenever I get it.

As far as doing it just to "better the pool," that's nonsense also. As a matter of fact, if anything went wrong with the rewritten hypothetical failsafe-less code the results would probably kill the pool. The current code is tested extensively and has been in production mode for years now.

Starting from scratch really isn't an option right now unless you want to find and hire a small team of developers who are willing to write a new system and also pay me for the time needed to fully audit that code.

It just is not worth it.  Eligius is a zero fee pool run on donations and volunteer work... something that I think is one of its biggest advantages.  All of this with very few actual issues.

I so have plans to start rewriting some core code towards the end of the year when I should have more time to do so.  Eliminating security advantages is not high on the list.

Having been a programmer, systems programmer and analyst for over 35 years, I support you 100% and thank you for your work, too often unrecognized for the scale, scope and detail involved.

The "money quote" from your posting above: "Eliminating security advantages is not high on the list."

Bingo.
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:30:01 PM

Having been a programmer, systems programmer and analyst for over 35 years, I support you 100% and thank you for your work, too often unrecognized for the scale, scope and detail involved.

The "money quote" from your posting above: "Eliminating security advantages is not high on the list."

Bingo.
Proof Positive that WizKid is not a government employee Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: