Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:57:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 260 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][KARM] Karmacoin - New Initiatives - Helping People Do Good  (Read 352315 times)
kosmost

Activity: 1022
Merit: 501

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 05:02:53 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 05:29:39 AM by kosmost

I will take care of it.  

US non-profits are fairly straight forward and have a tax-ID which establishes them as such.  As for the rest of the world, each country would have their own process.  

I think we should steer the focus of karma coin, as an org, away from specific charities.  If any owner of Karma wants to support a mission, put together a call for action, like what we are doing for the Girl Scouts, and let the community decide.  Garnering support is really the onus of the initial donor.  Karmacoin is not a charity, we are a group of charitable people with the same mission.  We choose to donate in Karmacoin and not other coins.  If a fellow Karminion has a mission and feels it's worthwhile to request back-up, we will be there.  

I feel we should definitely focus on equipping the charities themselves with the ability to add "Give Karma" on their websites and educate them to the massive power of crowd sourced micro donations.

The most profound component of Karma is the ability to donate small amounts of money with little to no overhead.  We need to sell our mission and technology as a way to capture 10-30% more funds by bringing back those nickel and dime donations that just weren't possible for the last couple decades.  Right now there is no way to collect that type of donation due to the cost of mailing a check or physically transporting change.  The days of bringing around a March of Dimes can or manning red buckets ringing bells outside of the grocery store are no more.  

As we define the mission statement, perhaps, "Empowering the world's charities with the power of Karma."

I will put together an example POA (Plan of Action) for new charities, outlining how they can take advantage of the full utility of Karma and how they might, might, garner the support of fellow karminians to rally around their project.  

SL

I agree completely. That is the main reason why I believe strongly in the Karmacoin concept. Giving to charity is nice but the facilitation of these small contributions (via a way to donate, as you illustrated) to a cause (be it charity or in response to "goodness") is an amazing opportunity.

As you stated, we can enable people to do what could not be done before. If someone donates 25 cents with a credit card or PayPal the charity receives nothing due to processing fees. So it won't seek out these small donations. But microtransactions, especially on mobile, are the future. And that's where we can come in. The demand is already there.

Cryptocurrency is perfect for microtransactions. Think of the reasons why someone would want to transact $0.25:

1) to buy/sell something very cheap
2) to tip something/someone
3) to donate

Bitcoin (or ?) can take care of #1. But why do people transact in #2 and #3? Either to help someone/something else be "good" (such as a cause or charity) or as a way to reward "goodness" (to a friend or teacher, for example).

Imagine in 5 years kids are sitting in the classroom on their mobiles donating Karmacoin to the teacher at the end of the semester. Imagine receiving a tip from a total stranger because they saw you do something good. Imagine a lady down the block raising funds for a neighbor whose husband just died and is unable to afford a moving company so she can move into a smaller home? Now imagine these kinds of transactions happening everyday, and globally. This is the future of Karmacoin.

Someone will do it sooner or later. Might as well be us. Karmacoin has the perfect niche where the limit just so happens to be the sky.

Workchain – Powering the Decentralized Economy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kosmost

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 05:28:43 AM

Take a look at these artsy custom QR codes.  I wonder if our Give Karma icon/logo should be hidden inside say a Lotus or Elephant or whatever.  It would be a recognizable logo and be functional for scanning for each charity website.

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/static/examples

Thanks for the link, I had not know about this. Clever..

What do you think about using this elephant (minus the background; rights for all are already secured):
or something like it? Something simple maybe, with a distinguishing mark.

Dunking Style

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:23:22 AM

Take a look at these artsy custom QR codes.  I wonder if our Give Karma icon/logo should be hidden inside say a Lotus or Elephant or whatever.  It would be a recognizable logo and be functional for scanning for each charity website.

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/static/examples

Thanks for the link, I had not know about this. Clever..

What do you think about using this elephant (minus the background; rights for all are already secured): http://viewtube.com/karmacoin/themes/classic-theme/images/slide-image-1.jpg
or something like it? Something simple maybe, with a distinguishing mark.

The picture gives you a warm, positive feeling.  Best of all..you feel like there's hope for the future.

Also..great discussion on here today.. I saw the messages..but was at work and couldn't respond.  (At least without being canned..Tongue)
CharityMiningPools

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 06:25:09 AM

CharityMiningPools - Donate to Charity while you Mine!

karm.charityminingpools.com

Be a pioneer and help us get started, come mine while making a difference.  

Mandatory 0.5% donation fee goes to the BitGive Foundation this month.  We welcome and encourage you to donate more to a good cause.

SSL, STRATUM, VARDIFF, Datacenter Redundant Server Farm, Load Balanced Servers, Frequent Backups, DDOS Protection
0.5% Mandatory Donation fee to a Good Cause, 0.5% Pool Fees, 0% AP TX Fees

Who Are We?
CharityMiningPools was created to allow miners the ability to mine coins while still knowing that their hashing power is going towards something good.  Our goal is to provide a positive and reliable service while delivering a small portion of the proceeds to a deserving recipient.  Plans are in the works to allow individual miners to choose where they would like to donate to based on a pool of available recipients.

How Does This Work?
All coins minded at CharityMiningPools will require a mandatory 0.5% Donation fee.  This donation fee will be collected and donated to the designated charitable recipient for that given month.  Though we only require a minimum 0.5% Donation fee, we welcome and encourage our miners to raise the stakes and donate more to a good cause.

Cheers!
CharityMiningPools

CharityMiningPools.com - Donate to Charity While you Mine!
BTC: 1AytEqfVYAywzM1BAKdjZWyjdiok8LgGeS     LTC: LWVPLBniwxBbEizjbe2Ab98Vubq18QGTBt
DOGE: DK4VKsA8kdVbZ2dc2CjNCsEPiPa8a2SF6B     NOTE: DrADbGTxvp4jbDFVgnwTiqk5vbAvqq2xi9
Karmagood (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:46:55 AM

Hello all.
I am working on a press release.  Anyone else pick this up?
I received a whole bunch of information from Rohatagi Rahul.
Let's not pre-judge.  It is great to see how we look out for each other here.
It really is amazing that a perfect set of strangers have each others backs.
I will check his references and let you know what I find.
Thanks for all the work - I have a task list about 10 to-do's deep.
BitTanker

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:08:11 AM

Hello all.

nice.  Cheesy

Karmacoin enthusiast! Doing good is good! - Social Network: http://karmashare.me - *beta Search Engine: http://www.lill.com by Karmacoin/Karmashares
kosmost

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 08:55:53 AM

Hello all.

I've been working on my in my mind. It's about finished, but I'd love to see what you put together. Maybe 1+ of the PR folks can join in.

Alphi

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 09:54:34 AM

I think we should steer the focus of karma coin, as an org, away from specific charities.  If any owner of Karma wants to support a mission, put together a call for action, like what we are doing for the Girl Scouts, and let the community decide.  Garnering support is really the onus of the initial donor.  Karmacoin is not a charity, we are a group of charitable people with the same mission.  We choose to donate in Karmacoin and not other coins.  If a fellow Karminion has a mission and feels it's worthwhile to request back-up, we will be there.  

I feel we should definitely focus on equipping the charities themselves with the ability to add "Give Karma" on their websites and educate them to the massive power of crowd sourced micro donations.

The most profound component of Karma is the ability to donate small amounts of money with little to no overhead.  We need to sell our mission and technology as a way to capture 10-30% more funds by bringing back those nickel and dime donations that just weren't possible for the last couple decades.  Right now there is no way to collect that type of donation due to the cost of mailing a check or physically transporting change.  The days of bringing around a March of Dimes can or manning red buckets ringing bells outside of the grocery store are no more.  

As we define the mission statement, perhaps, "Empowering the world's charities with the power of Karma."

I will put together an example POA (Plan of Action) for new charities, outlining how they can take advantage of the full utility of Karma and how they might, might, garner the support of fellow karminians to rally around their project.  

SL

+ 1

I agree... the core/dev team should focus on making the tools to empower charities to do their own donation drives.
if we get bogged down with trying to police what is legit and what is not then the community and the technology wont be able to progress much.

I'll add a section in my Q&A for charities and how they can use Karma.

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
Dunking Style

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:16:10 AM

SL

+ 1

I agree... the core/dev team should focus on making the tools to empower charities to do their own donation drives.
if we get bogged down with trying to police what is legit and what is not then the community and the technology wont be able to progress much.

Good point there..there are a lot of other things we've got to focus on.
At this point in time though..we really can't afford to have a scam (and negative press coverage) cripple us before we even take off.  Doing it right early on will send a message to potential users that our community is serious about doing good, and that every donation received is going to a good cause..not a scammer's pocket.  Just imagine..how many people would want to acquire/donate karma coins if the charities were't even legit?
kahir
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:42:02 AM

if price keep on that down trend ... our market will be removed out of mintpal .... like cage and rabbit
spitfire1337

Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:12:00 AM

if price keep on that down trend ... our market will be removed out of mintpal .... like cage and rabbit

Cage and rabbit are being removed due to the low trade volume. Those 2 markets combined don't even have .5 btc of 24 hr volume. BUT karma on the other hand has over 12 btc 24 hr volume. Karma won't be removed just because it's valued low right now.
Alphi

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:37:17 AM

SL

+ 1

Good point there..there are a lot of other things we've got to focus on.
At this point in time though..we really can't afford to have a scam (and negative press coverage) cripple us before we even take off.  Doing it right early on will send a message to potential users that our community is serious about doing good, and that every donation received is going to a good cause..not a scammer's pocket.  Just imagine..how many people would want to acquire/donate karma coins if the charities were't even legit?

I agree... that is why we should steer well clear of attaching the KarmaCoin cause directly to any other organisation.
Ultimately there is no way to completely prevent fraud and theft.. but if we make it too much effort for the fraudsters then they usually move on to easier targets.
one way to do to that is to make sure that people only donate very small amounts of Karma and make the charities accountable for how the money is spent.. (this can be done quite easily since the blockchain is public)

ultimately I would like to see us have something like a KarmaCoin foundation which acts to guide and educate user to help them avoid being taken for a ride.

one thing we can learn form the fallout Mt Gox fiasco is how a Foundation like the Bitcoin Foundation completely failed in one of their most basic duties, that is to educate users on how to safely use Bitcoins. By not issuing warnings about Mt Gox (because they were too busy trying to cover their own arses) they actually made the situation worse and every alt-coin has suffered as a consequence. We can learn from this and when the time comes that KarmaCoin has its own foundation (separate from the dev team) then that foundation can act as the watchdog to call out potentially high risk charities.

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
kosmost

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 11:52:07 AM

Mintpal has 28 other altcoin/BTC pairs. 21 of those coins have less trading volume than KARM.

We are in a very good position.

BitTanker

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:17:05 PM

buy order for 2 SAT increasing

Karmacoin enthusiast! Doing good is good! - Social Network: http://karmashare.me - *beta Search Engine: http://www.lill.com by Karmacoin/Karmashares
Rohatagi Rahul

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:58:26 PM

Why are you talking about the United States!!!??? This is a richest country in the world !!!! Use Google. You can See that in India children die every day from hunger. In India, 30 children live in a one little room!!! LET'S BUILD OR BUY A NEW ORPHANAGES IN HONOR OF KARMAKOIN. IT WILL BE SENSATION IN THE WORLD. YOU CAN VISIT MY OFFICE IF YOU WILL BE NOT FAR FROM ME. I'll GLAD TO SEE GUESTS.

Rohatagi Rahul

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:26:19 PM

Why are you talking about the United States!!!??? This is a richest country in the world !!!! Use Google. You can See that in India children die every day from hunger. In India, 30 children live in a one little room!!! LET'S BUILD OR BUY A NEW ORPHANAGES IN HONOR OF KARMAKOIN. IT WILL BE SENSATION IN THE WORLD. YOU CAN VISIT MY OFFICE IF YOU WILL BE NOT FAR FROM ME. I'll GLAD TO SEE GUESTS.

It is not so expensive. as you think. we can buy a simple house for 10 000 dollars for an Indian orphanage. Look at

http://www.realestateindia.com/ 
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:38:33 PM

It is not so expensive. as you think. we can buy a simple house for 10 000 dollars for an Indian orphanage. Look at

http://www.realestateindia.com/ 

Check back in a few months Rahul and see where we are at.  We just can't sustain anything close to that right now.  If we did something that big, especially early on, I would want myself or someone else to fly out there to facilitate that type of transaction.

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
ShawnLeary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:40:17 PM

Mintpal has 28 other altcoin/BTC pairs. 21 of those coins have less trading volume than KARM.

We are in a very good position.

Agreed.  We had half a million $ in volume a few weeks ago, we will be back.  Good things are happening for this movement.

mison

Activity: 224
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:41:32 PM

use that Karmacoins for condoms. I hate people using children as a shield. If you believe in karmacoin, just take 500 USD and buy some. After time you may have much more.. or maybe not.
ShawnLeary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:44:23 PM

Takei coin has recently imploded, please reach out to those followers to join Karma.  They have a lot of the same spirit in that coins mission. 

Pages: « 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 260 »
  Print  

Jump to: