Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:10:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 143 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Guncoin(GUN) - GUN Core V2.0 - New Exchange for Guncoin  (Read 187899 times)
damm315er

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:48:47 PM

I'll sell you my GUN for half a dollar each. Then you can go ahead and sell it for a dollar in 6 weeks. Anyone? hehe.

Gosh would hate for you to loose that kind of money - I think most would like to see you wait and cash in with everyone else.  LOL.  FYI, we have talked with the Phoenixcoin developer who implemented Neoscrypt in that coin. He seems to think he could do it again for Guncoin.  That would put Guncoin way above the radar and also protect it from the super ASICs  coming out now.  While it all looks good and Phoenixcoin appears to be running fine, our mining efforts and pools would temporarily suffer. It appears the proven mining software has not quite caught up with this new algorithm.  Solo mining appears to be fine with it.  GPU mining software is still in beta test this week and should be released shortly.  While this looks like an attractive move forward for GUN and it is great to be a coin on the leading edge of things, I do not want to be on the bleeding edge of things if there are still minor bugs to be worked out.  Will keep you updated as we move forward with this path - feedback is always welcome.....

When you get a wallet together for the Neoscrypt, I'll help alpha/beta test it.
AR15usr

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:38:38 AM

I have been mining Guncoin with an ASIC since day 1 non stop. If you switched the algo I wouldn’t be able to mine, which I would hate to see happen. I say this because I really want to support Guncoin.
berbip

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:06:01 PM

Why would you not be able to mine ? You have a processor in your computer i assume ?
You will be able to support guncoin just fine Smiley
When the algo gets switched, difficulty is reset for the new algo. It's possible that you will mine more gun than with your asic.

I have been mining Guncoin with an ASIC since day 1 non stop. If you switched the algo I wouldn’t be able to mine, which I would hate to see happen. I say this because I really want to support Guncoin.
damm315er

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 02:00:13 PM

I don't see how you asic mining helps you support guncoin.  Mentioning guncoin to fellow gun users is supporting guncoin.

What I read in what you posted is "don't change, because I still want to mine guncoin for profit".

Don't think I'm singling you out, I've said pretty much the same thing earlier in this thread (to the old dev) trying to promote a change so my GPU's wouldn't have to compete against asics.  That didn't happen, so I ended up adapting and bought asic to mine the coin.  If the asics go away and you still want to mine, spend a few bucks and buy that you need.

If you want to get a head start, you can pick one of the neoscrypt coins and learn how to mine it, and get the hardware to do it well, so that when the swap is made you will be ready.
GuncoinInfo

Activity: 781
Merit: 276

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 02:54:15 PM

We have been mining GUN with ASICs since we took over and understand your concern.  Our motivation in potentially switching to an ASIC-resistant algorithm is NOT to hurt or hinder our miners or the coin, but to protect them all.  Right now, we have a 14MH/s Hashra ASIC on GUN mining away for us and the overall GUN network hash rate runs between 30-60 MH/s.  Hashra just released their 300 MH/s ASIC this week and others are doing the same.  We will see 500 MH/s ASICs before the end of the year. What happens to our current miners if one or more of these start mining GUN.  How about 1 miner hitting our network with 1.5 GH/s by himself?Huh  Unless you buy those too, you get virtually no coins.  The nice things about X11/x15/Neoscrypt etc is that it levels the playing field somewhat for miners - anyone with a computer can mine coins.  Thinking long term for GUN, that is an attractive feature for newbies. They do not need special hardware to mine coins.

Now lets go down another path....Suppose a Gun Control type group with lots and lots of money gets a hold of a rack of these 300 MH/s ASICs and puts them on GUN.....Worse yet, they then dump them continually for 1-2 satoshi.  This is the way to kill a coin and has already occurred with ASICs. Coin technology is changing every day and coins that stay stagnant will eventually die - that will NOT happen to GUN on our watch.

Our top priorities moving forward are to protect the coin and our users/miners (future ones as well as current ones).  Staying technologically current should address these priorities.  So you can take your ASICs and mine other coins, sell them on Ebay or put them in closet with our Butterfly Labs Jalapenos that used to mine BTC that are now technically obsolete.  Hopefully, that answers your questions and clarifies our position.  Thank you so much for mining GUN to this point, PLEASE continue to do so!!!!

GUN Address (Donations) - GymMmoKGErzJXx8UFT9ddBzf3SFH4wdWKj
Cheap Servers for Masternodes - https://www.vultr.com/?ref=8153109
Turnkey Masternode Setup - https://www.setupmasternodes.com/ref/guncoininfo/
whatthefugg

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:13:43 PM

When this coin will reach $1 per coin?

It would have to reach around a 100 million dollar market cap, which means it would have to be roughly in the top 3 coins; so realistically, probably never unfortunately.

Around 10 cents would probably be the highest you could hope for realistically... and even that is a stretch.
ozrep

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:06:21 PM

I'll sell you my GUN for half a dollar each. Then you can go ahead and sell it for a dollar in 6 weeks. Anyone? hehe.

A gun for half a dollar? I'll take it  Grin

edit:
even a broken one... Cheesy

GUN: Gz1vmt4ZoTJxuL1wL5Uq5CTPDTzwJUzJFJ
AR15usr

Activity: 54

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:18:01 PM

Why would you not be able to mine ? You have a processor in your computer i assume ?
I'd be worried about burning out my cpu, I have only 1 machine I use for all my needs. And I'm Mac based, they tend not to make Mac mining software. I know there is a couple out there, but will it support this coin? Most likely not anytime soon.

I don't see how you asic mining helps you support guncoin.  Mentioning guncoin to fellow gun users is supporting guncoin.
What I read in what you posted is "don't change, because I still want to mine guncoin for profit".

The chain needs to be mined, does it not? If no one mines, this coin goes no where period. I don't know about the other people mining, but I am dedicating my 1.5mh/s asic to Guncoin to help keep the chain running and generate coin for me. Instead of buying it, I mine it. Completely valid way to support the coin.

Also, see the Black "G" logo on the Guncoin site? I designed that and gave it free of charge to the dev team to use as they see fit in hopes it will help them get exposure and generate interest. I also have led them to one of the largest firearm sites and even linked to their site in posts on that site.

I also took a large gamble on this coin and participated in the IPCO. Why? Because I believe in the 2A aspects of this coin and want it to succede.

Be realistic. Every singe person in this thread hopes the price rises. If I wanted to mine just to become rich I'd be mining elsewhere. The 2A aspects are why I support this coin.

You know nothing about me bud. What you did is not read, you assumed...

We have been mining GUN with ASICs since we took over and understand your concern.  Our motivation in potentially switching to an ASIC-resistant algorithm is NOT to hurt or hinder our miners or the coin, but to protect them all.  Right now, we have a 14MH/s Hashra ASIC on GUN mining away for us and the overall GUN network hash rate runs between 30-60 MH/s.  Hashra just released their 300 MH/s ASIC this week and others are doing the same.  We will see 500 MH/s ASICs before the end of the year. What happens to our current miners if one or more of these start mining GUN.  How about 1 miner hitting our network with 1.5 GH/s by himself?Huh  Unless you buy those too, you get virtually no coins.  The nice things about X11/x15/Neoscrypt etc is that it levels the playing field somewhat for miners - anyone with a computer can mine coins.  Thinking long term for GUN, that is an attractive feature for newbies. They do not need special hardware to mine coins.

Now lets go down another path....Suppose a Gun Control type group with lots and lots of money gets a hold of a rack of these 300 MH/s ASICs and puts them on GUN.....Worse yet, they then dump them continually for 1-2 satoshi.  This is the way to kill a coin and has already occurred with ASICs. Coin technology is changing every day and coins that stay stagnant will eventually die - that will NOT happen to GUN on our watch.

Our top priorities moving forward are to protect the coin and our users/miners (future ones as well as current ones).  Staying technologically current should address these priorities.  So you can take your ASICs and mine other coins, sell them on Ebay or put them in closet with our Butterfly Labs Jalapenos that used to mine BTC that are now technically obsolete.  Hopefully, that answers your questions and clarifies our position.  Thank you so much for mining GUN to this point, PLEASE continue to do so!!!!

Understand your points completely. If the algo has to change then it has to change. I want to support this coin and want it to succeed so I'll find away to do that somehow. I'd like to do it by mining. You need to make sure that when you do switch you can survive the drop to (i predict) zero in mining it will cause for a short while.
berbip

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:02:38 PM

I'd be worried about burning out my cpu, I have only 1 machine I use for all my needs. And I'm Mac based, they tend not to make Mac mining software. I know there is a couple out there, but will it support this coin? Most likely not anytime soon.

you can compile neoscrypt cpu miner for mac no probs , your mac is intel based so it will shut down when overheating. burning out your cpu is very unlikely.
I use my pc all day long with cpu neoscrypt phoenixcoin mining and gpu groestl mining, working on it, and virtual machines running. gotta use that machine.
Only got a i5-2500k Smiley
GuncoinInfo

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2014, 01:32:11 PM

OK, all good points above.....just to clarify....
1) We are not switching to any algorithm that is going to kill the blockchain.  While our hash rate will fall back because the ASICs go away, that is fine, it will NOT fall to zero or we will not switch. Anything we switch to will have some tools available for miners.  These tools are out there now and freely available for everyone to try out now on other coins.
2) The potential algo switch would be made to protect the coin long term, not to make money for it owners, users or miners although we thing they will all benefit from it
3) There are all types of support for Guncoin - mining, trading, coding/programming, Twitter followers/retweeters, facebook likes, forum contributors, etc. etc. etc.  - we sincerely appreciate whatever help we can get - keep it coming......

chevro

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:42:31 PM

I've been CPU mining on my i5 laptop and my six year old AMD desktop machine for about 6 months straight,  just blow the dust out about three times a year and you'll be ok.

I'd be interested in some stickers and patches too.

Somethings funky with the gun faucet.  It say's there is half a gun there but there is really a lot more,  too many transactions and the wallet flips out and shows only .55 gun for some reason.  It has always done that,  but would eventually show the correct balance on it's own and keep on working.  Lately it has been stuck on .55 every time I look at it.

If I restart the wallet it shows the correct amount,  and then goes to .55 after a while.  It also seems like it's not sending out coins even when it shows a balance.  The chain keeps growing and it is using 53% of the ram in my instance now,  might have something to do with it.  Haven't had time to figure it out.

There are different wallets, so called "selfish" clients that only use part of the blockchain and don't use up tons of resources to run,  I need to figure that out for the faucet, because as of now I am running a full blown wallet.  The instance I'm using to host the website only has 600Mb of ram and 8Gb of disk.

damm315er

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:27:12 PM

And some big asic just hit the coin, hashrate over 180 mh/s.

There's some asic support for ya..   Grin
GuncoinInfo

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 11:38:12 PM

There's some asic support for ya..   Grin

Yes, and have seen some huge volume on a few of the exchanges. 

24Kilo

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 04:01:35 AM

There's some asic support for ya..   Grin

That was me... and you will be happy to know that I have yet a sell a single GUN that I have ever mined... I don't mine GUN consistently as I am not convinced that it will survive, much less be a success... that is just the pragmatist in me.

Every so often when I am switching rigs between major coins I will point them at my GUN wallet on my server and let them mine while I write new scripts and conf files.

I do check on the GUN thread every few days to what is happening... I am glad to see that the community is still working together and developing GUN.

There will be few coins that will still be viable in 24 to 36 months, the few that will be viable will only because of a determined and dedicated dev team and community.

I would recommend that dev team take time to study the strategies of NLG(Guldencoin) and BTM(Bitmark), both scrypt based coins that have defied the odds and misinformation regarding ASIC's to become successful currencies in their niches. GUN does have a niche market that it can exploit as well.

Thanks,

24Kilo

EDIT - another coin that I recommend the devs research is CCN(Cannacoin)... a small coin with a committed dev team that is producing some very clever things.

EDIT - the reason I am referencing other coins is because each of these coins have developed open source projects that can used by GUN to promote adoption and increase the user base.
GuncoinInfo

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 03:33:49 AM

There's some asic support for ya..   Grin

That was me... and you will be happy to know that I have yet a sell a single GUN that I have ever mined... I don't mine GUN consistently as I am not convinced that it will survive, much less be a success... that is just the pragmatist in me.

Every so often when I am switching rigs between major coins I will point them at my GUN wallet on my server and let them mine while I write new scripts and conf files.

I do check on the GUN thread every few days to what is happening... I am glad to see that the community is still working together and developing GUN.

There will be few coins that will still be viable in 24 to 36 months, the few that will be viable will only because of a determined and dedicated dev team and community.

I would recommend that dev team take time to study the strategies of NLG(Guldencoin) and BTM(Bitmark), both scrypt based coins that have defied the odds and misinformation regarding ASIC's to become successful currencies in their niches. GUN does have a niche market that it can exploit as well.

Thanks,

24Kilo

EDIT - another coin that I recommend the devs research is CCN(Cannacoin)... a small coin with a committed dev team that is producing some very clever things.

EDIT - the reason I am referencing other coins is because each of these coins have developed open source projects that can used by GUN to promote adoption and increase the user base.

Thanks for your long term support of GUN.  First, while one option of course is to make no changes at all to GUN and just promote it big time.  That was our first choice till we started watching what these new ASICs do to hash rate and can easily take over and dominate mining on a small coin like ours.  While I high hash rate is great if it is one of us or a trader or GUN supporter.  But GUN is a coin with a cause - and an anti-cause.  The anti-cause has access to lots of money and could easily cause significant problems for us with racks of this new breed of ASICs and then dumping the coins.  To many other coins, there really is no potetential risk of this nature and they can just promote their coin and rest on their laurels. I think very few of these will survive long term.  I think a coin needs to adapt to the technology around or it could be overcome by it. 

We are interested to hear more about these other coins and what type of open source features they have created.  Anything useful that is open source, we could roll in to GUN pretty easily if it provides something useful for the end-user.

damm315er

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:37:33 PM

An interesting concept, is the POS (Proof of Stake).

This allows coin holders who keep their wallets open to get 'interest' on the coins they are holding.  It's an encouragement to hold the coins instead of day-trading them or leaving them on exchanges.

I never looked into it or the complexity of adding/tracking it, so can't really recommend for or against it.  But if you're looking for stuff to make gun more interesting to coin holders, that's another thing to think about.
24Kilo

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:03:22 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2014, 01:14:43 PM by 24Kilo

Thanks for your long term support of GUN.  First, while one option of course is to make no changes at all to GUN and just promote it big time.  That was our first choice till we started watching what these new ASICs do to hash rate and can easily take over and dominate mining on a small coin like ours.  While I high hash rate is great if it is one of us or a trader or GUN supporter.  But GUN is a coin with a cause - and an anti-cause.  The anti-cause has access to lots of money and could easily cause significant problems for us with racks of this new breed of ASICs and then dumping the coins.  To many other coins, there really is no potetential risk of this nature and they can just promote their coin and rest on their laurels. I think very few of these will survive long term.  I think a coin needs to adapt to the technology around or it could be overcome by it.  

We are interested to hear more about these other coins and what type of open source features they have created.  Anything useful that is open source, we could roll in to GUN pretty easily if it provides something useful for the end-user.

I am very short on time at the moment... but a summary...

1. Retaining scrypt and embracing ASIC's brings strength and security to a coin... read the history of BTM - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=660544.0

2. BTM is the first scrypt coin that has a difficulty retargeting algo that defeats multipools and increases the value of coin by reducing production instead of reducing cost of reduction - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=660544.msg8773105#msg8773105

3. A coin that can only buy BTC has no real value, NLG is a shining example of a coin that has real world use... you can buy a sandwich and coffee with it - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554412.0

4. The dev team of CCN have released some very useful and handy open source software, including Cannapay, Cannatrade, a very, very clever CCN ISO, and Cannacoin V-bulletin Integration for forum(this could be a key for GUN, think AR15.com, etc.).. the thread is only 5 pages and it is all there - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=740903.0

5. CCN is planning to change to PoS(Proof of Stake) which I believe will devalue the coin, getting something for nothing, makes it worth nothing, having said that, BitCoin is proof that PoW(Proof of Work) may not infinitely sustainable.

6. BTM and NLG launched well after the introduction of ASIC miners for scrypt, but embraced the power of the ASIC and focused on adoption and acceptance. Both coins have seen their price rise by over 10 times in the past 6 weeks.

Adoption, adoption, adoption... is the only way any coin will survive... it must become a currency.

As for the anti-gun, anti-2A sector... you give them too much credit... as GUN becomes more adopted, more successful, the harder it will be to defeat it, especially if you fortify the network with ASIC firepower.

I have mined GUN since launch and Dabs who was escrow for the IPO funds is a personal friend of mine. And I have yet to sell a single GUN.

I provided the information and examples of successful coins, I encourage the dev team to research and implement as they see fit for the goals of GUN.

Thanks,

24Kilo

EDIT - to the dev team... you need to be sure to provide the basics which are missing from GUN... block explorer, seed nodes, QT-wallets for Windows, Linux and MAC, and mobile wallets, Android and iOS... and the Original ANN Post at the beginning of this thread needs to be kept update along with the title... have a look at NLG for an example of how to build a web presence that provides the tools and support the community... all thankless and tiresome work... but without it GUN cannot move ahead.
GuncoinInfo

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 05:18:17 PM

We have just been informed that the group that hosts our 4 seed nodes is shutting down immediately.  We will look to find more as soon as possible.  In the mean time, if there are connectivity issues by chance, that is the reason.

damm315er

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:27:17 PM

@24Kilo, the marketability is currently being worked on, that's the reason for the guncoin trading site.  There's POS (point of sale) equipment being developed (not centered around guncoin), that will facilitate the adoption of guncoin offnet as well, with simple software changes.  Unfortunately, the current cost of the equipment is prohibitive at around $900 per unit, but competing units will drop the price to make it manageable.

A bigger issue IMHO of adoption though, is liquidity.  Right now, even if a store had a POS unit, the store owner would have to sit on the money.  

Example:  A store owner takes in $500 worth of guncoin for sale of some products.  Assuming 30 santoshi value, that gives the store owner just under 4.2 million guncoin.  If the store owner immediately dumps that on an exchange to convert to $cash, they'll be lucky to get 1/2 of that, as there's only so much coin wanted at 30 santoshi, then some at 29, 28, 27, etc, but they will got down to the bottom soon.  

Unless they sit on the coin for later conversion, or trade it for other product or services.  Lots of places aren't going to want to do that.  The smart ones will, but even they will have a limit on how much coin they can hold if it interferes with cash liquidity to pay employees, bills, taxes, suppliers, etc.

damm315er

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:29:06 PM

We have just been informed that the group that hosts our 4 seed nodes is shutting down immediately.  We will look to find more as soon as possible.  In the mean time, if there are connectivity issues by chance, that is the reason.

That blows..

If several of us keep the wallets open for peering, that should help us get through this, correct? 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 143 »
  Print  

Jump to: