Bitcoin Forum
September 22, 2018, 12:35:08 AM *
News: ♦♦ New info! Bitcoin Core users absolutely must upgrade to previously-announced 0.16.3 [Torrent]. All Bitcoin users should temporarily trust confirmations slightly less. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 [692] 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1253073 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:54:02 AM

In order to survive, Core needs to change its PoW, or else Core miners won’t be able to mine at all.
Classic will have democratic governance but centralized, ASIC based mining.

Core will have meritocratic governance but democratic, GPU based mining.

Please install a breathalyzer on your keyboard.

Guy is doing this as Spondoolies is losing value every day.

As far as I can tell as a complete outsider, they're finished.

So consider all that to be a sunk cost. Lessons learned by the admirable experience of having tried and failed.

What he's writing about now has no obvious relevance to a mining equipment company. Do you think Spondoolies has some new GPU they're trying to sell, because that's the only miner-related agenda that would make sense here.

I'm not really a close follower though, so some or all of the above may be wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
miningmeter

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:58:41 AM

In order to survive, Core needs to change its PoW, or else Core miners won’t be able to mine at all.
Classic will have democratic governance but centralized, ASIC based mining.

Core will have meritocratic governance but democratic, GPU based mining.

Please install a breathalyzer on your keyboard.

Guy is doing this as Spondoolies is losing value every day.

As far as I can tell as a complete outsider, they're finished.

So consider all that to be a sunk cost. Lessons learned by the admirable experience of having tried and failed.

What he's writing about now has no obvious relevance to a mining equipment company. Do you think Spondoolies has some new GPU they're trying to sell, because that's the only miner-related agenda that would make sense here.

I'm not really a close follower though, so some or all of the above may be wrong.

I to am a outsider, but one who read when they went public the amount of bonus money they paid them staff at top levels.  He wants that to continue, who would not?

But he is writing this as he is hoping to change things now they have no good future outcome.  They have old gear getting older.  They worked on a chip that is out of date before it hit market.  

So do you think he would love to change it where there is a new agenda that put's him on same level as bitfury?   Heck yea.  He is grasping at straws hoping change so they can do a new investment that is not already lost.  
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 07:08:42 AM

Can it be Core and Classic instead of Core vs Classic ?

My discussion with Jonathan Toomim in "Miner In World" WeChat group.

http://pastebin.com/B8YQr5TQ

I'm working on a proposal for a rotating PoW changes to allow Core to survive Classic activation and bring an era of endless GPU mining to Core.

Please take the time to read it and comment.

Guy

I think the problem you are trying to solve isn't real.
I think Core and Classic will converge to friendly competition, and be on the same blockchain. There will not be an actual work between these two groups.
My 2 cents.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Spondoolies-Tech
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1016

Good to be back

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 07:12:04 AM

I'm working on a proposal for a rotating PoW changes to allow Core to survive Classic activation and bring an era of endless GPU mining to Core.

Guy

I think Core and Classic will converge to friendly competition, and be on the same blockchain. There will not be an actual work between these two groups.
My 2 cents.
So,
My estimation is that Core team will split. Some will continue to work on Core but on Classic chain, buy some will prefer to do PoW (and Transaction ID) change rather to submit to the new governance.

Guy

Edit: Interesting times. I think that two competing Chains is the favorable outcome. Each will be entitled to the name "Bitcoin" since both came into existence after hard-fork.

miningmeter

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:14:47 AM

Guy

My 2 cents.
So,
My estimation is that Core team will split. Some will continue to work on Core but on Classic chain, buy some will prefer to do PoW (and Transaction ID) change rather to submit to the new governance.

Guy

And you will be there to give new governance to it?  He wants to start a central committee of hash and for him to be part of it.  He does this out of his company falling apart. They went from giving huge bonus to all top level employees to being beat by Bitfury where no one with big orders will want a SP50.

He is trying to find way to stay relevant.  This is one attempt at it.  He will not be able to do it.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:21:54 AM

Guy

My 2 cents.
So,

Guy

And you will be there to give new governance to it?  He wants to start a central committee of hash and for him to be part of it.  He does this out of his company falling apart. They went from giving huge bonus to all top level employees to being beat by Bitfury where no one with big orders will want a SP50.

He is trying to find way to stay relevant.  This is one attempt at it.  He will not be able to do it.

Seems like a pointless personal attack by you (even as I agree the committee is a dumb idea). The proposal from him I saw was for the term on the committee to be limited so even if he were on it, he wouldn't be on it for long. So what?
miningmeter

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:27:17 AM

Guy

My 2 cents.
So,

Guy

Seems like a pointless personal attack by you (even as I agree the committee is a dumb idea). The proposal from him I saw was for the term on the committee to be limited so even if he were on it, he wouldn't be on it for long. So what?

So a company that lost in the asic race wants to start a new way of profit via committee.  Spondoolies is growing unprofitable look at the data, they have to release after being public. 

If they won the asic race they would not be pushing for this.  The SP50 sealed the deal on them going away, unless they can pull something like this.   Have you read their company stats? 
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:28:32 AM

Guy

My 2 cents.
So,

Guy

And you will be there to give new governance to it?  He wants to start a central committee of hash and for him to be part of it.  He does this out of his company falling apart. They went from giving huge bonus to all top level employees to being beat by Bitfury where no one with big orders will want a SP50.

He is trying to find way to stay relevant.  This is one attempt at it.  He will not be able to do it.

So a company that lost in the asic race wants to start a new way of profit via committee.  Spondoolies is growing unprofitable look at the data, they have to release after being public. 

If they won the asic race they would not be pushing for this.  The SP50 sealed the deal on them going away, unless they can pull something like this.   Have you read their company stats? 

How are they going to profit from this? Competing with AMD or NVIDIA on GPUs?
miningmeter

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:40:38 AM

Guy

My 2 cents.
So,

Guy

How they going to profit from this? Competing with AMD or NVIDIA on GPUs?

It's about trying to get all companies on same level.  Do you not see he pushes from asics after losing on development?

Mining on Bitcoin will not go back to GPU's its a attempt to go to something other then asic which they are losing at.  They want to be on same level as bitfury, so change the protocol since cant match chips.

They never had a problem when they were ontop and making tons.  Only after they were beat in the asic development do they want to change protocol.  I will not waste more time on Guy.  Time to get back to work.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:47:50 AM

Guy

My 2 cents.
So,

Guy

How they going to profit from this? Competing with AMD or NVIDIA on GPUs?

It's about trying to get all companies on same level.  Do you not see he pushes from asics after losing on development?

Mining on Bitcoin will not go back to GPU's its a attempt to go to something other then asic which they are losing at.  They want to be on same level as bitfury, so change the protocol since cant match chips.

They never had a problem when they were ontop and making tons.  Only after they were beat in the asic development do they want to change protocol.  I will not waste more time on Guy.  Time to get back to work.

How is Guy going to make money from this? Be specific.

Spondoolies-Tech
Donator
Legendary

Good to be back

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 08:38:43 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1334468.msg13615122#msg13615122

Spondoolies-Tech
Donator
Legendary

Good to be back

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 09:09:35 AM

Another interesting proposal is Cuckoo hash by John Tromp:
https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo

jtoomim

Activity: 818
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 10:07:03 AM

Changing the PoW function is pretty crazy. I was disappointed that Guy was taking these threats seriously.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/41vqbo/bitcoindev_pieter_wuillle_its_ridiculous_to/

><sipa> Luke-Jr: they may, but it's ridiculous to propose that at this point, sorry
>...
>so do not worry, i have no intention of merging such a thing

Matt Corallo and I touched on the topic later:

http://imgur.com/4i61zYI

>thebluematt: He is... The threat mostly isn't serious

Luke may create his Keccak hash function fork; he already has the code. But it's not going to be called Core.

Hosting bitcoin miners for $65 to $80/kW/month on clean, cheap hydro power.
http://Toom.im
Spondoolies-Tech
Donator
Legendary

Good to be back

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 10:38:06 AM

Changing the PoW function is pretty crazy. I was disappointed that Guy was taking these threats seriously.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/41vqbo/bitcoindev_pieter_wuillle_its_ridiculous_to/

><sipa> Luke-Jr: they may, but it's ridiculous to propose that at this point, sorry
>...
>so do not worry, i have no intention of merging such a thing

Matt Corallo and I touched on the topic later:

http://imgur.com/4i61zYI

>thebluematt: He is... The threat mostly isn't serious

Luke may create his Keccak hash function fork; he already has the code. But it's not going to be called Core.
You keep referring to it as a threat. I believe that the remaining devs in Core will do it.
We went through it in our chat yesterday. You agreed on 75% chance that it will happen.

So if they will do it, I think that they should do it in a way which will prevent ASIC-ization.
Memory bound hashing is very good suggestion: https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo

Guy

mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 11:16:44 AM

Who the fuck is this classic?

I thought this was the thread of a asic manufacturer....

Where is my last generation SP-tech asic?! i want it in my watercooled miner...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:13:48 PM

Changing the PoW function is pretty crazy.

It may be. The state of Bitcoin mining is also pretty crazy.

Spondoolies-Tech
Donator
Legendary

Good to be back

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 01:14:32 PM

Changing the PoW function is pretty crazy.

It may be. The state of Bitcoin mining is also pretty crazy.

The state of Bitcoin mining is also pretty crazy.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 01:48:20 PM

Guy

My 2 cents.
So,

Guy

Edit: Interesting times. I think that two competing Chains is the favorable outcome. Each will be entitled to the name "Bitcoin" since both came into existence after hard-fork.

Someone from Avalon tried that a few years ago....didn't work out too well for him  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 05:21:21 PM

So,

Guy

are you kidding? favorable to what? maybe to development in some sense, but not bitcoin's value.
Imagine the nightmare of having an "old" bitcoin in a wallet and then deciding on what chain to spend it and have change deposited to.
90% of people will simply sell or do NO transactions altogether and wait until one chain would be dominant.
In addition, say, i decided to sell carbonated sugar syrup and call it "Coca Cola next generation".
Do you think that I would be able to do it?

Spondoolies-Tech
Donator
Legendary

Good to be back

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 06:12:17 PM

So,

Guy

are you kidding? favorable to what? maybe to development in some sense, but not bitcoin's value.
Imagine the nightmare of having an "old" bitcoin in a wallet and then deciding on what chain to spend it and have change deposited to.
90% of people will simply sell or do NO transactions altogether and wait until one chain would be dominant.
In addition, say, i decided to sell carbonated sugar syrup and call it "Coca Cola next generation".
Do you think that I would be able to do it?

You might want to read Meni Rosenfeld: http://fieryspinningsword.com/2015/08/25/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-fork/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3i9eiv/how_i_learned_to_stop_worrying_and_love_the_fork/

Pages: « 1 ... 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 [692] 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.