Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:30:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262677 times)
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:10:25 PM

Wow over 80 pages, I remember when this had just began, uneblieveable!! Such a good organization, with bitcoin anything is possible!!

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 05:54:41 AM

An interview with the Virtual Doctors.

http://bitcoinwarrior.net/2013/09/bitcoin-africa-interview-virtual-doctor-project/

They are looking for places to buy computers and cameras with BTC so if the community has any pointers it would be welcomed.

The Virtual Doctor's BTC donation address is: 1G1zNwrLw7xQPWUvRierbg9wrkUCJ2Dort

I've been seriously considering forming a company to accommodate supply needs of Bitcoin accepting charities. Of course, I am concerned that there might be concerns since I am also involved with Bitcoin100. Someone not familiar with me might only see that I am part of an organization encouraging non-profits to accept BTC donations and simultaneously running a BTC business targeting non-profits.  Embarrassed

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't have any information regarding buying equipment in Africa for bitcoins but I may attempt to address this issue myself if the community doesn't see any moral ambiguity in it.

That's exactly what I've been proposing in no uncertain terms as the next iteration for Bitcoin 100 or some other better named 501(c)3 org. There is a unique way to do it so that the staff is paid, the charities receive discounted supplies, and the suppliers are not selling their wares/services at a lost, garnering more sales in the interim.

As far as what's needed in Africa or elsewhere, a solution would manifest itself at such a time when need be.

For the pass couple days, I've been in conversation with Vicente via PMs regarding getting an NPO to accept bitcoin donations. Their name is PanPeru, and I just received a PM from Vicente that they just started (today) accepting bitcoins via BitPay as seen here: http://panperu.org/web/bitcoin/

They truly just put the Bitcoin donation option onto their site today (it wasn't there yesterday), and I've already vetted them via Whois and the WBM. Everybody, please feel free to conduct whatever research that's needed, to doubly make sure they pass muster. 48 hours should be enough time to make sure there's no anomalies of which I don't believe there are before Rassah does his magic if all is clear.
Vicente

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:24:14 PM

Hello everyone,
I've recently started helping this non-profit since my mom holds a position and coordinates various fund raiser activities for PanPeru.  I mentioned bitcoin the idea of bitcoin and after several hours someone understood me.  Basically, I've been talking to Phinnaeus Gage these days regarding Bitcoin100 and I also did a presentation so that we could get Bitcoin introduced to the website.  We are also talking about introducing other donation methods since the only one in place was via bank in Peru.  2 days ago the website was different and very disorganized, I took my time yesterday to change the theme and organize it and helped to accept bitcoin donations via BitPay.
Feel free to research PanPeru.  It started in 2004 and constantly helps the people and children in Pampas Grande, Huaraz, Peru.
For anyone who would like to directly volunteer, please get in contact.  I believe once a year, we get a group of volunteer students from Richmond University who come to Peru and up to Pampas Grande located 3700meters (thats 12,140feet!)above sea level, to work in various projects.  An example of a past project was that the first public library was built and we filled it in with donated books.  If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call on Monday GMT-5 from 9am~5pm
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 07:06:06 PM

Bumped, to make sure more eyes read the latest and have the opportunity to vet the latest submission, namely PanPeru, of which I support. In fact, I just sent $20 USD worth from my BFL bribe money to show support. Since BitPay was used where new donation addresses are freshly created for each transaction, I guess I need to provide a link as proof: https://blockchain.info/tx/3349e3ddc0e289efd91423ef5c7e0cc012ba84a53d4760c68b2920b5d355c0c2
SeansOutpost

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 01:37:57 PM

An interview with the Virtual Doctors.

http://bitcoinwarrior.net/2013/09/bitcoin-africa-interview-virtual-doctor-project/

They are looking for places to buy computers and cameras with BTC so if the community has any pointers it would be welcomed.

The Virtual Doctor's BTC donation address is: 1G1zNwrLw7xQPWUvRierbg9wrkUCJ2Dort

I've been seriously considering forming a company to accommodate supply needs of Bitcoin accepting charities. Of course, I am concerned that there might be concerns since I am also involved with Bitcoin100. Someone not familiar with me might only see that I am part of an organization encouraging non-profits to accept BTC donations and simultaneously running a BTC business targeting non-profits.  Embarrassed

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't have any information regarding buying equipment in Africa for bitcoins but I may attempt to address this issue myself if the community doesn't see any moral ambiguity in it.
Edd, do as much good and provide as much help as you can in this world. Do not worry about how anyone else views it. Jason

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 01:46:43 PM

Hey guys,

Wanted to jump in and give you guys an update on what I have been working on for BTC100.

So the difficulty I'm finding is different than I would have imagined. I thought I would have a hard time convincing non-profits to take bitcoin, but so far I have not. At least in theory. What I keep running into, is that they have such a huge disconnect between the people who run the charity and the people who run the website. I have three charities on the line to take bitcoin ALL OF WHOM have a problem with getting there webmaster to update content.

Isn't this 2013. Doesn't everybody have content management? Does anyone have a suggestion for making this better?

Man.

So after much waiting, I just heard from Keith McHenry from food not bombs. They should have a bitcoin donation section up on their donate page at foodnotbombs.net here shortly. Maybe even today. This is going to be a big one. Lots of people will donate to them, and I am very exited about getting them to take Bitcoin.

I'll keep you updated.

Also, incase you didn't here, this is what Sean's Outpost has been squirreled away doing for the past few weeks...

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/6939/seans-outpost-announces-satoshi-forest/

Hope everyone is doing great.

Jason King

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 01:52:57 PM

*bump*

In the mean time, I know we're all busy with voting for me in the Bicoin Foundation elections (except for Jason you backstabing bastard  Grin),

I'm not a backstabber so much as kill-you-in-your-sleep-and-make-it-look-like-a-heart-attacker.

I missed you guys too.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 03:17:39 PM

*bump*

In the mean time, I know we're all busy with voting for me in the Bicoin Foundation elections (except for Jason you backstabing bastard  Grin),

I'm not a backstabber so much as kill-you-in-your-sleep-and-make-it-look-like-a-heart-attacker.

I missed you guys too.

You could be worse, like drinking the Kool Aid and take bribes.  Grin (if you don't know the backstory, you're really outside the loop)

Great article you linked above, and another fine example of Vitalik's writing skills. You're young enough to eventually see a Satoshi Forest in every state/country as I envision it.
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 03:53:41 PM

*bump*

I missed you guys too.

You could be worse, like drinking the Kool Aid and take bribes.  Grin (if you don't know the backstory, you're really outside the loop)

Great article you linked above, and another fine example of Vitalik's writing skills. You're young enough to eventually see a Satoshi Forest in every state/country as I envision it.

Hey man, I actually beat you to the bribe. They sent us 75BTC in June. And you're not on record in Ars Technica saying "They could have spent that money on hookers and blow but they chose to feed the homeless instead"

I would love to see Satoshi Forest in every state. You know we do take BTC and it's posted on our site...Smiley

Vicente

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

What I keep running into, is that they have such a huge disconnect between the people who run the charity and the people who run the website. I have three charities on the line to take bitcoin ALL OF WHOM have a problem with getting there webmaster to update content.

It's not only accepting Bitcoin and done.  It's also education on Bitcoin and showing them the entire process.  You have to leave a way for them to learn and to shift to a new system where they update their content weekly at the most.
Anyone can accept Bitcoin.  Even probably some homeless guy down the street, but if they don't know how it works, then showing them Bitcoin has no benefit.
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 07:41:19 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 07:57:45 PM by SeansOutpost

What I keep running into, is that they have such a huge disconnect between the people who run the charity and the people who run the website. I have three charities on the line to take bitcoin ALL OF WHOM have a problem with getting there webmaster to update content.

It's not only accepting Bitcoin and done.  It's also education on Bitcoin and showing them the entire process.  You have to leave a way for them to learn and to shift to a new system where they update their content weekly at the most.
Anyone can accept Bitcoin.  Even probably some homeless guy down the street, but if they don't know how it works, then showing them Bitcoin has no benefit.

Yeah, I pretty much disagree with everything you just said here.

Bitcoin and done? Obviously you have to explain the value of bitcoin and lay out a method for having them implement it. That has nothing to do with the poor methodologies used by the IT departments at a lot of non profits. I come from a startup background, so once a decision is made I am use to it being able to be implemented quickly. Most of the worlds organizations don't operate like that. Once they have approved something, the process to implementation is often long and fraught with bureaucracy. If you have an actual suggestion on how we can work on that, I would love to hear it.

Update their content weekly at the most? I don't know what this means. Do you mean they should update the content at least once a week? That maybe true.  And maybe they do, but they do it by emailing a guy, who emails a guy who actually updates it. And the unfortunate truth is that no amount of hand holding can get a company out of a shitty IT Service Contract that they have gotten themselves into. At least not quickly.

Im going to not go off on the homeless comment here, but it was really uncalled for. And wholly incorrect. Read what Sean's Outpost does EVERYDAY.  

Vicente

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:41:33 PM

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand anything I said but to summarize.

• teach
  • show
  • effective method for updating
  • leave everything working

Failure to do so will mean all the effort was for nothing.

And no I'm not commenting about you or sean's outpost.  I'm just generally talking about how it should be.
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 09:53:17 PM

• teach
  • show

And no I'm not commenting about you or sean's outpost.  I'm just generally talking about how it should be.

No I get all that.

But like you said, you are talking about how it should be. I am talking about how it is. If you have suggestions on getting from point A to B, i  am all ears.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 05:39:18 AM

• teach
  • show

No I get all that.

But like you said, you are talking about how it should be. I am talking about how it is. If you have suggestions on getting from point A to B, i  am all ears.

A nice little conversation you two been having, offering up some takeaways.

Jason: I'm not sure if you've had a chance to do a cursory review of PanPeru.org of which Vicente recently updated the site, along with having a Bitcoin donation option embedded via BitPay, but if not, please do such.

Since nobody has else has weighed in, it's up to me, you, edd and Rassah to finalize the approval process. Personally, I found no concerns, and believe am the first to donate bitcoins to the cause.

In a few minutes, I'm going to make the same exact donation to Sean's Outpost, plus I have something else up my sleeve, of which once I do it, I'll PM you the link to the thread.

Thanks, bud.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 07:20:15 AM

$20 USD in BTC sent to Sean's Outpost: https://blockchain.info/tx/87a65349af089adbb6603a5735c751ec2b57514059dfadf04c8d45153bfdf91c
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 08:31:20 AM

Thanks to Jason's efforts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=295211.0
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 01:53:46 PM

• teach
  • show

No I get all that.

A nice little conversation you two been having, offering up some takeaways.

Jason: I'm not sure if you've had a chance to do a cursory review of PanPeru.org of which Vicente recently updated the site, along with having a Bitcoin donation option embedded via BitPay, but if not, please do such.

Since nobody has else has weighed in, it's up to me, you, edd and Rassah to finalize the approval process. Personally, I found no concerns, and believe am the first to donate bitcoins to the cause.

In a few minutes, I'm going to make the same exact donation to Sean's Outpost, plus I have something else up my sleeve, of which once I do it, I'll PM you the link to the thread.

Thanks, bud.
Yeah, I thought the PanPeru site was dope. I am all about those guys getting some BTC100 love.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 06:39:08 PM

off topic but still a free bump:

could you check gamingforgood.net? someone (you) should make them accept bitcoins!

recent news about this charity: http://kotaku.com/league-of-legends-player-raises-106-000-for-charity-in-1277236597

Move from another thread and up for discussion.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 07:03:26 PM

Yeah, I thought the PanPeru site was dope. I am all about those guys getting some BTC100 love.

Boy, this is sick (term)! This 53 year old fart had to go to Urban Dictionary to look up the word dope as used in context above. I remember thinking that groovy was cool when I first heard it on the Brady Bunch in '69.

Holy shit! She ain't dead yet?

Ann Bradford Davis (born May 3, 1926)...

Here, ABD learns Farout (or is that two words?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlA7pUgCg3A
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 07:11:53 PM

Boy, this is sick (term)! This 53 year old fart had to go to Urban Dictionary to look up the word dope as used in context above. I remember thinking that groovy was cool when I first heard it on the Brady Bunch in '69.

Holy shit! She ain't dead yet?

Ann Bradford Davis (born May 3, 1926)...

ya retired bastard!!!! lol j/k I'm stuck here like a debt slave like the rest of the world....any others wanna chip in with me on a 65 btc SATOSHI forest house?

Pages: « 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: