Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:37:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 788 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [UNO] Unobtanium Info & Discussion - Merge Mine w/BTC! - Update NOW to qt 0.11.5  (Read 1046621 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Philogus

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 03:31:59 PM

Hi everyone!

I think that I have some pretty big news here. Forgive me if I am posting something that you already know, or have already figured out.

I think that I've figured out why the original Unobtanium thread got locked. Out of caution, I won't name any names.

A global moderator locked the original forum thread, but we never knew why. Today, I did some research. I found a comment that the moderator made regarding a major problem on the forums in general: paid signature links. The signature links in and of themselves do not seem to be the main problem. The main problem appears to be that people post meaningless or non sequitur posts just to get their signatures seen. Obviously, someone is paying them to make the posts as a form of spam advertising.

Armed with this information, I went back and analyzed the original UNO thread. It is literally infested with spam links. I am now almost 100% certain that this is why the thread got locked. I suspect that the global moderator probably tried to contact some of the UNO developers to get them to fix the problem, and got no reply. With thousands of forums on BTCtalk, the global moderator has no desire (or time) to micromanage each forum, so it was far easier just to lock it. I suspect that there is little chance of getting it unlocked since all contact has been lost with the developers.

Interesting research. I only had a cursory glance over the thread but didn't notice much out of the usual. Any pages you can point me to?

On another note, the full source code for the Unobtanium.io website is here: https://github.com/icanprogram/unobtanium.io Could we rebuild a new version of the website that we control? What do you guys think about creating new Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, and Google+ feeds?

I'd love to hear any opinions...
As can be seen on github icanprogram is still active on other projects. IIRC FallingKnife said he's one of the few people previously involved in UNO that were somewhat responsive recently. Maybe he'd be willing to give us FTP access to the site. Who's currently hosting the site anyway? Would suck for it to suddenly go down because a prepaid hosting period ran out or something...

I'm a web dev so I could take a look at the code and do some updates. I think it'd be fine to keep the site mostly intact as it looks pretty slick. As time progresses we can see if any major updates/rewrites need to take place. What do you say?

Hey learminer! The really spammy posts seem to have started around the time of Wolong's big pump, which makes sense because that is probably when the forum was getting the most traffic. For example, look at this page: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=313126.860

It is really subtle, and hard to notice, in fact I never noticed it before. But if you look at a lot of the postings where people have signatures at the bottom, they are announcing new UNO pools, but the announcement does not really make sense in the flow of the conversation that is going on. The signatures tend to have multiple links in them, and I could see how this could be viewed as spammy From Bitcointalk's perspective, I can see how they would want those people to buy ads on the site instead of filling up their posts with signature links.

Not they are breaking any posted rules or anything, but I think that the global mod does not like that behavior. He sees it at guys filling up the forums with what basically amount to meaningless advertising for their websites, rather that meaningful, well-thought out forum postings.

I agree with you about the web hosting. I personally would feel a lot better if we hosted it with FallingKnife's company because he is committed to UNO. If we decide to keep the site design as it is, I'm in full support. If we decide to switch to a content management system, I know A LOT about Drupal, and I could provide expertise if needed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 03:36:31 PM

I'd like to locate UNO community members who use Linux and Mac, who would be willing to do some rapid testing of the upcoming hardfork UNO client when it's ready

If you are Mac/Linux and willing to help, please identify yourself.

Basic protocol would be involve a fresh install, connecting to nodes, downloading blockchain, sending and receiving some coins. Highlevel stuff.

I do use linux version. Count me in.

bee7, I couldn't access it either.

Strange. The io TLD administration site is not available... I will never buy an .io domain.
Philogus

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 03:56:10 PM

I'd like to locate UNO community members who use Linux and Mac, who would be willing to do some rapid testing of the upcoming hardfork UNO client when it's ready

Basic protocol would be involve a fresh install, connecting to nodes, downloading blockchain, sending and receiving some coins. Highlevel stuff.

FK, I run Fedora 20 which is notoriously difficult when it comes to compiling any cryptocurrency wallet. I was able to compile the UNO wallet (0.9.2) for Fedora, but it would not run. I did some research, and found out that Bitcoin wallet users complained of the same thing. It turns out that Red Hat turned off some cryptographic function in Fedora and RHEL that for some reason that they basically refuse to completely explain. It appears that it is patent related. The original bugzilla thread is here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319901 Though this thread says the problem was fixed, I could not get the UNO kernel to run correctly after building (in Feb. 2014), and I had an openssl version later than the one cited in the Bugzilla. The UNO wallet would start, but then it crashed immediately. When I looked at the crash report, It said that there was an openssl problem. I would love to help troubleshoot with a new UNO wallet to see if the problem has indeed been fixed.

When I did my testing in February, It seemed that the only workaround was to compile OpenSSL yourself from the source, with that function enabled, and to then compile the UNO wallet on top of that. To be honest, I don't have that kind of time or patience, so I was forced to use the Windows wallet running in Wine. That is still what I use to this day. So I am all onboard with helping you with this because I would love to get a modern UNO wallet running natively on Fedora 20+.
bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:51:24 PM

FK, I run Fedora 20 which is notoriously difficult when it comes to compiling any cryptocurrency wallet. I was able to compile the UNO wallet (0.9.2) for Fedora, but it would not run. I did some research, and found out that Bitcoin wallet users complained of the same thing. It turns out that Red Hat turned off some cryptographic function in Fedora and RHEL that for some reason that they basically refuse to completely explain. It appears that it is patent related. The original bugzilla thread is here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319901 Though this thread says the problem was fixed, I could not get the UNO kernel to run correctly after building (in Feb. 2014), and I had an openssl version later than the one cited in the Bugzilla. The UNO wallet would start, but then it crashed immediately. When I looked at the crash report, It said that there was an openssl problem. I would love to help troubleshoot with a new UNO wallet to see if the problem has indeed been fixed.

When I did my testing in February, It seemed that the only workaround was to compile OpenSSL yourself from the source, with that function enabled, and to then compile the UNO wallet on top of that. To be honest, I don't have that kind of time or patience, so I was forced to use the Windows wallet running in Wine. That is still what I use to this day. So I am all onboard with helping you with this because I would love to get a modern UNO wallet running natively on Fedora 20+.

I also use FC20 and this is not a big problem actually. However, I could maintain the ubuntu builds as well.
FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1076

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 05:48:16 PM

bee7, Philogus, Palawan, thanks for offering to test the new client on Linux.  I'll pm you a link when it's ready. I hope it will be within 12 hours.

I don't now that Soopy will be able to compile for each Linux distro. If you can help with that, and help distribute it for your favorite Linux distro, that would be a huge help.

Hopefully someone with Mac expertise will read this and raise a hand soon.

Nostr:
npub14wk4hrq6atlq020c7r6eyylpu9gjukyqzafzxu6u80unqfrplq9qhtx8sy
FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 05:52:11 PM

Hi everyone!

I think that I have some pretty big news here. Forgive me if I am posting something that you already know, or have already figured out.

I think that I've figured out why the original Unobtanium thread got locked. Out of caution, I won't name any names.

A global moderator locked the original forum thread, but we never knew why. Today, I did some research. I found a comment that the moderator made regarding a major problem on the forums in general: paid signature links. The signature links in and of themselves do not seem to be the main problem. The main problem appears to be that people post meaningless or non sequitur posts just to get their signatures seen. Obviously, someone is paying them to make the posts as a form of spam advertising.

Armed with this information, I went back and analyzed the original UNO thread. It is literally infested with spam links. I am now almost 100% certain that this is why the thread got locked. I suspect that the global moderator probably tried to contact some of the UNO developers to get them to fix the problem, and got no reply. With thousands of forums on BTCtalk, the global moderator has no desire (or time) to micromanage each forum, so it was far easier just to lock it. I suspect that there is little chance of getting it unlocked since all contact has been lost with the developers.

Interesting research. I only had a cursory glance over the thread but didn't notice much out of the usual. Any pages you can point me to?

On another note, the full source code for the Unobtanium.io website is here: https://github.com/icanprogram/unobtanium.io Could we rebuild a new version of the website that we control? What do you guys think about creating new Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, and Google+ feeds?

As can be seen on github icanprogram is still active on other projects. IIRC FallingKnife said he's one of the few people previously involved in UNO that were somewhat responsive recently. Maybe he'd be willing to give us FTP access to the site. Who's currently hosting the site anyway? Would suck for it to suddenly go down because a prepaid hosting period ran out or something...

I'm a web dev so I could take a look at the code and do some updates. I think it'd be fine to keep the site mostly intact as it looks pretty slick. As time progresses we can see if any major updates/rewrites need to take place. What do you say?

PM's sent to Blazr2 about Unobtanium.info, and to Icanprogram about Unobtanium.io

Ok.... get this....

As a backup I was checking for other "unobtanium.whatever" domains that we may be able to use in case we're unable to get either of the above domains.

Guess what I found?

Unobtainium.uno

I registered it, as a backup.  How cool is Unobtanium.uno  ??
I would rather stick with unobtanium.io because it has lots of backlinks and is widely seen as the official UNO website.  But I about fell over when I saw Unobtanium.uno

Nostr:
prominerone

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:23:34 PM

I say yes for Unobtanium.uno  -  like domain sounds much better  Wink

vector.iso

Activity: 240

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:38:03 PM

bee7, Philogus, Palawan, thanks for offering to test the new client on Linux.  I'll pm you a link when it's ready. I hope it will be within 12 hours.

I don't now that Soopy will be able to compile for each Linux distro. If you can help with that, and help distribute it for your favorite Linux distro, that would be a huge help.

Hopefully someone with Mac expertise will read this and raise a hand soon.

i'm a long time mac user, but i'm not sure if i can help....
basically, i don't understand anything you guys have been talking about for the last few posts, like at all, but i can give a user's perspective of "yes it works" or "no it doesn't work and here is the error message."
i am nervous, though, about having to wipe the old version for a true fresh install.  where should i store my Un?  Has anyone tested the paper wallet yet?  I never got a clear answer as to whether or not importing a new private key can compromise an existing wallet, so i never tested it. I want to help, but i also don't want to fuck up my shit.  any advice?

I consider myself to be reasonably computer literate, but i'm not a rich man (yet) and when we're talking mucking about with this amount of my money, i really need my hand held every step of the way.

hopefully there's some hardcore mac geek kicking around here to scoff at and mock my ignorance and then just do the heavy lifting themselves.
vector.iso

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:39:15 PM

+1

+2

make unobtanium.uno the new domain and see if we can manage to get unobtanium.io to redirect
voluntarist500

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:40:27 PM

+1

+1 great domain!

altcoin with very low inflation, active community, no premine, fair distro and secure network: exactly what you want to invest in? Support Unobtanium
learminer

Activity: 559
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:56:21 PM

Hi everyone!

PM's sent to Blazr2 about Unobtanium.info, and to Icanprogram about Unobtanium.io

Ok.... get this....

As a backup I was checking for other "unobtanium.whatever" domains that we may be able to use in case we're unable to get either of the above domains.

Guess what I found?

Unobtainium.uno

I registered it, as a backup.  How cool is Unobtanium.uno  ??
I would rather stick with unobtanium.io because it has lots of backlinks and is widely seen as the official UNO website.  But I about fell over when I saw Unobtanium.uno

I didn't even know .uno was a TLD - awesome. If nothing else then we should forward that to the "real site".

learminer

Activity: 559
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:20:01 PM

Hey learminer! The really spammy posts seem to have started around the time of Wolong's big pump, which makes sense because that is probably when the forum was getting the most traffic. For example, look at this page: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=313126.860

It is really subtle, and hard to notice, in fact I never noticed it before. But if you look at a lot of the postings where people have signatures at the bottom, they are announcing new UNO pools, but the announcement does not really make sense in the flow of the conversation that is going on. The signatures tend to have multiple links in them, and I could see how this could be viewed as spammy From Bitcointalk's perspective, I can see how they would want those people to buy ads on the site instead of filling up their posts with signature links.

Not they are breaking any posted rules or anything, but I think that the global mod does not like that behavior. He sees it at guys filling up the forums with what basically amount to meaningless advertising for their websites, rather that meaningful, well-thought out forum postings.

I agree with you about the web hosting. I personally would feel a lot better if we hosted it with FallingKnife's company because he is committed to UNO. If we decide to keep the site design as it is, I'm in full support. If we decide to switch to a content management system, I know A LOT about Drupal, and I could provide expertise if needed.

Okay I see what you mean. I still find it strange the thread gets locked and nobody (that cares to comment) knows why. Oh well, we aren't the first coin to move to a new thread and won't be the last. Once we have everything sorted out, it might be worth a try to contact a mod and see if they could at least edit the OP with a note that there's a new thread. I believe still a lot of people googling for UNO stumble upon that thread and are presented a false/old information ...

Lets see what we can get goin regarding the website. Right now I think the most urgent thing is the ability to update wrong/outdated information. If it goes beyond that your skills might come in very handy. I am more of a frontend-dev (though I spent years working backend too), so our skillsets might be complementary. Smiley

cryptapus

Activity: 626
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 04:03:09 AM

I have created a provably fair dice game:

http://cryptap.us/uno/dice

Note that the bets are quite limited at the moment due to my limited reserves. If you feel like donating to raise the limits you can find my UNO address at the bottom of the page.

If it eats you coins, PM me and if we can verify in the block chain I will refund.

Feedback is welcome.

I've added a coinbomb game to the above link. Please let me know of any issues.

A new transparent Ponzi game has been added.

Edit: I have changed the timer length for the coinbomb games.

website | PGP fingerprint: 692C 0756 E57D 2FA1 7601 3729 010B 717F 231C E7AA | BTC Address: 1CrYPTB1o7QWc8hXqBMP2LtAJh1VMtTFBh
FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 12:37:10 PM

I have created a provably fair dice game:

http://cryptap.us/uno/dice

Note that the bets are quite limited at the moment due to my limited reserves. If you feel like donating to raise the limits you can find my UNO address at the bottom of the page.

If it eats you coins, PM me and if we can verify in the block chain I will refund.

Feedback is welcome.

I've added a coinbomb game to the above link. Please let me know of any issues.

A new transparent Ponzi game has been added.

Edit: I have changed the timer length for the coinbomb games.

Thanks, Cryptapus. I enjoy those games.

Also, thanks much for the UNO paper wallet generator, and the UNO block explorer at http://cryptap.us/uno/
We all appreciate your support.

Nostr:
Philogus

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 04:07:34 PM

Hi everyone!

I wanted to present an idea for everyone's consideration. We have recently been talking about building a new website at Unobtanium.uno. What do you guys think about making the new website more interactive? Perhaps the site could feature blogs by FallingKnife and other community leaders. How about moving this thread from Bitcointalk to a dedicated forum on our own new website?

I am most familiar with Drupal, but all of the major content management systems have all of this functionality built in: Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla etc. This would help to give UNO investors and people who want to learn more about UNO a central place to learn about UNO, find places to spend UNO, make friends, and interact with the UNO community.  Smiley
UNO_owner

Activity: 299

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 04:57:30 PM

Hi everyone!

I wanted to present an idea for everyone's consideration. We have recently been talking about building a new website at Unobtanium.uno. What do you guys think about making the new website more interactive? Perhaps the site could feature blogs by FallingKnife and other community leaders. How about moving this thread from Bitcointalk to a dedicated forum on our own new website?

I am most familiar with Drupal, but all of the major content management systems have all of this functionality built in: Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla etc. This would help to give UNO investors and people who want to learn more about UNO a central place to learn about UNO, find places to spend UNO, make friends, and interact with the UNO community.  Smiley

I personally like the design of the existing site.  I think the information it contains is generally solid, but can certainly be expanded on and much of it needs to be updated - we just need control of it or to relocate it.  I also think linking back to the main BCT thread provides a sense of legitimacy that we shouldn't give up.  Doesn't mean we can't have forums on the website too, but I think /r/unobtanium serves better for this purpose.

FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 08:48:50 PM

Just wanted to let you know that the new wallet will be ready soon. It's taking a little longer than expected. No worries, though. It's must be 100% ready and if that means a little extra time in development, then so be it. Soopy will decide when it's ready to go, and will take whatever time is necessary to ensure success. Will update you again soon.

We'll need everyone to move quickly when its available.  This coming update is primarily to prevent timewarp attacks on uno, helping to prevent such attacks that rob miners of fair compensation. We care deeply about UNO miners and appreciate the service they provide to our network in clearing transactions, so we really want them to feel confident supporting uno. It also will provide a more secure platform on which to build future services for UNO, and give investors even more confidence.  

Think about whether there are additional computers that you can install the new wallet on. There will undoubtedly be some laggard wallets that just will not update in time.... so it would help if you would be able to run the new wallet on as many computers as you're able to.  I have 5 machines here, plus 2 Windows servers that I will be installing it on. We need to tip the network solidly in favor of the forked wallet. That means getting as many exchanges, services, pools and users on the new wallet as soon as possible. We will making a lot of noise and a big push to do this.  But if you can also put it on a few additional machines until the fork occurs (and then for as long after the fork as possible) it would help ensure UNO's success.

So please get ready, stick with us, help us spread the news, update quickly, and run the wallet on as many machines as you're able. If you mine, please send a message to your pool.  If you invest, it wouldn't hurt if your favorite exchange got a message from you reminding them to update (even though we will also be sending each one a direct message).

More coming soon.  Get ready! Feel the excitement!  Smiley

Cheers,
FK

Nostr:
voluntarist500

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 08:56:23 PM

Just wanted to let you know that the new wallet will be ready soon. It's taking a little longer than expected. No worries, though. It's must be 100% ready and if that means a little extra time in development, then so be it. Soopy will decide when it's ready to go, and will take whatever time is necessary to ensure success. Will update you again soon.

We'll need everyone to move quickly when its available.  This coming update is primarily to prevent timewarp attacks on uno, helping to prevent such attacks that rob miners of fair compensation. We care deeply about UNO miners and appreciate the service they provide to our network in clearing transactions, so we really want them to feel confident supporting uno. It also will provide a more secure platform on which to build future services for UNO, and give investors even more confidence.  

Think about whether there are additional computers that you can install the new wallet on. There will undoubtedly be some laggard wallets that just will not update in time.... so it would help if you would be able to run the new wallet on as many computers as you're able to.  I have 5 machines here, plus 2 Windows servers that I will be installing it on. We need to tip the network solidly in favor of the forked wallet. That means getting as many exchanges, services, pools and users on the new wallet as soon as possible. We will making a lot of noise and a big push to do this.  But if you can also put it on a few additional machines until the fork occurs (and then for as long after the fork as possible) it would help ensure UNO's success.

So please get ready, stick with us, help us spread the news, update quickly, and run the wallet on as many machines as you're able. If you mine, please send a message to your pool.  If you invest, it wouldn't hurt if your favorite exchange got a message from you reminding them to update (even though we will also be sending each one a direct message).

Cheers,
FK

great news. After that it should be moontime. We can then start to put more focus on marketing and branding. I was looking around the net a bit and realized a professional campaign including ads on facebook is not that expensive after all. Will keep you updated, need a little more time to work it out. 

altcoin with very low inflation, active community, no premine, fair distro and secure network: exactly what you want to invest in? Support Unobtanium
Philogus

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 10:05:18 PM

Cheers,
FK

FK, this is fantastic news! UNO has a very bright future. I can't wait to try the new wallet on Fedora. Smiley
vector.iso

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 10:31:47 PM

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 788 »
  Print  

Jump to: