Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:14:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 127 »
  Print  
Author Topic: A Resource Based Economy  (Read 288301 times)
bittersweet

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 08:51:07 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2011, 09:24:27 PM by bittersweet

It benefits the group with access to high technology.

You could run a lightweight Bitcoin client in a mobile phone, it's not high technology any more.
Cheap mobiles with Java are quite popular in poor countries to browse Internet.

Besides, isn't your project based on a premise that everyone will have access to high technology?
Or there will be people without access to it after all?

Finally, I don't think BitCoin is about creating one global currency... there can be many different solutions.
If someone doesn't have access to technology, he can use something else to exchange goods and services, like silver coins.
BitCoin doesn't try to solve all mankind problems...

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LightRider (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 09:46:49 PM

It benefits the group with access to high technology.

You could run a lightweight Bitcoin client in a mobile phone, it's not high technology any more.
Cheap mobiles with Java are quite popular in poor countries to browse Internet.

Besides, isn't your project based on a premise that everyone will have access to high technology?
Or there will be people without access to it after all?

Finally, I don't think BitCoin is about creating one global currency... there can be many different solutions.
If someone doesn't have access to technology, he can use something else to exchange goods and services, like silver coins.
BitCoin doesn't try to solve all mankind problems...

The point of our project is that we won't have to waste energy or resources on pointless math problems or exchanging bits of metal in order to live.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
LightRider (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 10:28:22 PM

What ever happened with the Venus Project... Didn't they have to sell their real estate in Florida?

How long before we see the Venus Project produce a solution that is more than just talk?

They have no power or ability to change things. that responsibility lies with all people.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
LightRider (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 10:32:01 PM

The "we choose" bothers me a lot. Who's "we" and how do they "choose"?

Anyway, I'm currently reading the Zeitgeist Activist Orientation Guide, maybe it will answer my questions. I have to say though, the language used so far tells me that it either never gets to the "how" of organizing this new society, or that it's going to creep the hell out of me. Haven't gotten that far yet, though, so we'll see.

Thanks for keeping an open mind! Also, the link to your website is missing the s in stills so the link doesn't work.

LightRider (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 01:34:35 AM

What ever happened with the Venus Project... Didn't they have to sell their real estate in Florida?

How long before we see the Venus Project produce a solution that is more than just talk?

They have no power or ability to change things. that responsibility lies with all people.

Yes, and I see people in the Bitcoin community actively changing things.

Can you please inform us about the projects that people in the Zeitgeist Movement are working on?

And do they take Bitcoins?

We recently held a global event called Z-Day in which we engage our local community with presentations and information about these ideas. We also independently held a worldwide release of Zeitgeist Moving Forward in hundreds of theaters and dozens of languages. The Venus Project is currently seeking donations to make a major film that would better depict life in an RBE. I am urging them to accept bitcoins as donations.

LightRider (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 03:26:11 AM

Yes, and I see people in the Bitcoin community actively changing things.

Can you please inform us about the projects that people in the Zeitgeist Movement are working on?

And do they take Bitcoins?

We recently held a global event called Z-Day in which we engage our local community with presentations and information about these ideas. We also independently held a worldwide release of Zeitgeist Moving Forward in hundreds of theaters and dozens of languages. The Venus Project is currently seeking donations to make a major film that would better depict life in an RBE. I am urging them to accept bitcoins as donations.

So basically, the Zeitgeist Movement makes movies, holds events to promote the movies they make, and raises money to make more movies. Yes, it would be great if you could get the Venus Project to accept Bitcoin donaitons. But, you know, I have seen all the Zeitgeist movies and I have to say that the second and third episodes seemed like re-packaged versions of the first one, with maybe 90% re-hashed material. It would be pretty hard for me to get excited about funding another one unless there were some fresh material about real wheels on the ground stuff that people are doing to change things. I'll bet it would be a lot easier to get people in the Bitcoin community to be interested in helping to fund something like that if it contained a segment featuring Bitcoin...

The Austin, TX chapter has a weekly public access television show that also showcases these ideas and related technologies. It's going on right now if you want to check it out!

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 04:10:40 AM

So basically, the Zeitgeist Movement makes movies, holds events to promote the movies they make, and raises money to make more movies. Yes, it would be great if you could get the Venus Project to accept Bitcoin donaitons. But, you know, I have seen all the Zeitgeist movies and I have to say that the second and third episodes seemed like re-packaged versions of the first one, with maybe 90% re-hashed material. It would be pretty hard for me to get excited about funding another one unless there were some fresh material about real wheels on the ground stuff that people are doing to change things. I'll bet it would be a lot easier to get people in the Bitcoin community to be interested in helping to fund something like that if it contained a segment featuring Bitcoin...

The Austin, TX chapter has a weekly public access television show that also showcases these ideas and related technologies. It's going on right now if you want to check it out!

So basically as chodpaba says, "the Zeitgeist Movement makes [media promoting the movement], holds events to promote the [media] they make, and raises money to make more [media]."

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 04:12:26 AM

So basically as chodpaba says, "the Zeitgeist Movement makes [media promoting the movement], holds events to promote the [media] they make, and raises money to make more [media]."

Better to just join a local hackerspace and work on cool stuff instead of funding endless parade of movies.

Reprap, thing-o-matics, welding, solar panel, etc.

LightRider (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 04:24:59 AM

Yes, we make educational and informational material available for all to see, free of charge, to learn about ideas and technologies that they won't be exposed to by the main stream media. We also promote these ideas and technologies by holding free public events for the community and help organize them into projects that can have direct impact on that community. We also develop the technical infrastructure to help make this information accessible to more people by undertaking massive, volunteer based translation efforts for dozens of languages. We also ask for funds only for specific projects when necessary in order to develop an idea fully.

Individual members also produce presentations and [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2nxCp9Hwxs]video[/url] series highlighting the various technical and scientific breakthroughs being made on a daily basis that will help bring this idea to fruition. We also maintain a website that continuously updates with information about such technology and research (ad-free btw) for all to access and learn from. Not to mention all the general street activism that we engage in every day in nearly every country.

So sure, if you wish to ignore the ideas and real technologies and research we present and all of the educational and awareness efforts we engage in, then yes, all we do is "make and promote media".

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 04:29:16 AM

So sure, if you wish to ignore the ideas and real technologies and research we present and all of the educational and awareness efforts we engage in, then yes, all we do is "make and promote media".

Whatever, man. Your movement is a talker, not a doer.

LightRider (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 06:28:28 AM

Whatever, man. Your movement is a talker, not a doer.

Are you saying nothing good ever came from conversation?

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 06:32:23 AM

Never said that, but execution is the hallmark of success.

LightRider (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 06:48:44 AM

Never said that, but execution is the hallmark of success.

Which is why we are urging people to action, to support these ideas and goals, and to help others demand a change in the way things are being done. It would be unrealistic to produce these results on a global scale with any immediacy. I do sympathize with those who are impatient and would like to make things better RIGHT NOW, but I severely doubt it will happen this way.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 06:54:20 AM

Which is why we are urging people to action, to support these ideas and goals, and to help others demand a change in the way things are being done. It would be unrealistic to produce these results on a global scale with any immediacy. I do sympathize with those who are impatient and would like to make things better RIGHT NOW, but I severely doubt it will happen this way.
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Why don't ya do the action?

deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 06:55:40 AM

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

because their stuck on the utility calculation  Tongue

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 07:04:41 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2011, 07:31:09 AM by em3rgentOrdr

Jacob Spinney has an excellent YouTube video critiquing the Venus Project he just uploaded an hour ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNoUW4UTpI

It's 54:13 long, and I have only watched the first 5 minutes, but he has already exposed and destroyed several logical fallacies.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 07:06:02 AM

because their stuck on the utility calculation  Tongue

Which mean their OODA loop is not only superslow, but missing the A!

LightRider (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2011, 07:10:51 AM

We are in the awareness and educational phase of our operation. Meaninful action can only be achieved after critical mass of understanding is achieved. This is meant to be a concerted and global effort. But, we do expect to start regionally with a test city as a proof of concept. I understand how this might seem frustrating for you to understand, but there is a methodology and plan involved in what we are doing.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 07:12:44 AM

We are in the awareness and educational phase of our operation. Meaninful action can only be achieved after critical mass of understanding is achieved. This is meant to be a concerted and global effort. But, we do expect to start regionally with a test city as a proof of concept. I understand how this might seem frustrating for you to understand, but there is a methodology and plan involved in what we are doing.

That is not a plan. That is the slowest OODA loop ever.

rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 07:15:12 AM

When I first saw the original zeitgeist movie I was excited by the ideas it presented. I enthusiastically shared it with a few family members.

Then I did some fact checking and realized many of the major points made in the movie were simply false. Boy was it embarrassing having to go back and explain it to those family members after promoting the movie so much. I guess I did things in the wrong order.

Looking back on it, I don't understand why anyone would intentionally make shit up to motivate or scare people when the truth is crazy enough...

The point is, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 127 »
  Print  

Jump to: